A6000 or X-T1

Started 3 months ago | Questions
mrstone
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
A6000 or X-T1
3 months ago

I will probably ask the question that has been asked many times before, but I would really appreciate the advice, before committing myself

Two new cameras, both similar in concept, sensor size, dimensions and popularity. Yet X-T1 with kit lens is double the price of A6000 with it's kit lens. Can it be twice as good?

I heard lots of good about Fuji lenses, especially about 18-55mm kit. Yet, A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss lens is exactly the same price as X-T1 with kit lens. If one is prepared to spend this much money, would Sony-Zeiss combination be better, compared to Fuji kit?

My requirements are reasonably straightforward (I think). I want something compact and portable (so no FF or DSLR). IQ is important, so no m43 or smaller sensors. Fast AF is nice, but not critical. I do tend to like manual controls, so I would probably hate Sony's "Power zoom" kit lens. I must admit, Fuji's dials look attractive, although I didn't have a chance to actually try to use one

Sturdy build and quality 'feel' is also quite important

I do not have any lenses I can reuse, so this is not a factor

Thank you

mrstone's gear list:mrstone's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,285Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 or X-T1
In reply to mrstone, 3 months ago

mrstone wrote:

I will probably ask the question that has been asked many times before, but I would really appreciate the advice, before committing myself

Two new cameras, both similar in concept, sensor size, dimensions and popularity. Yet X-T1 with kit lens is double the price of A6000 with it's kit lens. Can it be twice as good?

I heard lots of good about Fuji lenses, especially about 18-55mm kit. Yet, A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss lens is exactly the same price as X-T1 with kit lens. If one is prepared to spend this much money, would Sony-Zeiss combination be better, compared to Fuji kit?

My requirements are reasonably straightforward (I think). I want something compact and portable (so no FF or DSLR). IQ is important, so no m43 or smaller sensors. Fast AF is nice, but not critical. I do tend to like manual controls, so I would probably hate Sony's "Power zoom" kit lens. I must admit, Fuji's dials look attractive, although I didn't have a chance to actually try to use one

Thank you

I have the NEX-6 and the Zeiss 16-70/4 OSS and I also shot with a pre-production copy of the A6000. The lens is just outstanding with either one of these cameras. Here's my additional comments and pictures:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53381323

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?
In reply to José B, 3 months ago

I have Nex 6 A7r Fuji XE1 and XT1

XT1 best evf of any camera
Really good high quality LCD
Fast AF fast predictive AF which works well
Great fit and finish
Picture in a picture evf display which is great for manula focus
8 frames per second
Great dials and retro look
Fantastic build quality all mag body
Fuji lenses are superb with no duds
Fuji image quality is superb
Quite a mature setup now that is quite refined
Probably the best high ISO performance of any APSC camera

A6000 faster fps. Lesser evf lenses overall not ad good
Probably slightly faster af unknown at this point

I can't see A6000 matching
XT1 in almost any parameter except AF

XT1 gives the A7r. Run for its money except A7r
Has better dynamic range and more pop in some shots
comand in others very similar
Fuji lenses are a huge reason to get Fuji
Greg

Chanthis
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 3 months ago

A6000 AF will run rings around the X-T, both single shot and continuous focus tracking..

A6000 dynamic range will soundly beat the X-T1. I predict a good stop better.

A6000 resolution will beat X-T1.

A6000 flash system will beat the the X-T1.

A6000 high ISO performance, when compared at the same print size, and factoring in X-T1 ISO fudging, will be equal to X-T1.

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Great fit and finish
8 frames per second

Greg

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?

I would go for the a6000 even if they here the same price, but thats just because the x-t1 video is awful. But if you just take pictures the x-t1 seems a fine camera but I doubt 2 times better as the price.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,964Gear list
Like?

The A6000 should be more than adequate. But it's hard to love a Sony camera.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,892
Like?

First IQ, in real life pictures most people will notbe able to pick the right camera/lens with the picture. Second, to get a little extra IQ you have to pay a lot more money, it is almost exponantional.

When the price is no objection get the camera you find handling best, this is very personal and so nobody can realy help you success

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

I think I'd get the X-T1...

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
PATN007
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to martindesu, 3 months ago

martindesu wrote:

I think I'd get the X-T1...

-- hide signature --

Martin
http://www.martinirwinphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/martindesu
If you want IQ it is a6000 all the way.
Just got to http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
And compare the image quality, that will give you all you need!

Neill P
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

Great fit and finish
8 frames per second

Greg

Greg,

Interesting to hear your camera list, I am thinking of choosing the A7, XT1 or possibly the A6000.

if you could only have one of the above for all round shooting which would it be and why? I know your cameras are not exactly the same but imagine they were!

AF performance and manual control are important to me, I also like portrait work with my kids.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chanthis, 3 months ago

I agree A6000 wll be good but I think that is wishful thinking. Noise on A6000 looks a little higher than Nex 6 and the XE1 was cleaner than an Nex 6 let alone XT1 which is improved.

You haven't used an XT1, I can tell.

Greg.

David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?

Dimensions are in fact not similar and the Fuji has a more expensive body.  Fuji's got better brand name recognition in the photo world, too, so can command a higher price than Sony.

Given the the actual similarities, and assuming you can afford either, go for the camera you like more.

I prefer the A6000 for its more modern, minimalist physical design.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?

Fuji has fast primes: 23mm q.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2. Sony has no comparable lenses.

By the end of the year Fuji will have 2.8 zooms.

It all comes down to lenses and you personal preferences of cause.

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
mrstone
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?

Thank you all for very informative answers. More I think about it, more I am leaning towards A6000 with kit lens. I am tempted by Fuji's controls, but I cannot see how I can justify huge price difference.

But, I will not make my decision until I see A6000 in a store and have a chance to play with its motorised zoom - I am quite concerned about that one

mrstone's gear list:mrstone's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409Gear list
Like?

mrstone wrote:

Thank you

People are quick to say XT1. IMO if you are ready to pay for XT1 you almost ready to pay for an A7. Someone above said XT1 would give A7r a run for money which is just a ridiculous notion. XT1 will not match A7 in imgae quality let alone A7r lol. That's just wishful thinking. I know which I rather i.e. the A7. The full frame kit with FE35 or FE55 is marginally better than my A99. I will take FF kit of A7+55mm over a the crop kit of XT1+56mm any day. Simple as that.

Now if you want to save some money buy the A6K. With the saved money you buy a nice lens or two, may be an adapter that will open up a whole new world of lenses.

But if unlike me if you have money to throw around feel free to buy XT1, you won't be disappointed.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L18 Sony Alpha 7 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Lars
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
In reply to nandbytes, 3 months ago

Difficult.

Also depends on your processing.

The XT1 shows smearing/watercolour issues in LR, which for me would need to be fixed before I consider it.

I expect Sonys sensor to deliver better resolution, DR and high ISO performance than Fujis slightly special sensor.

The 6k will have better AF by all early reports.

Lenses: Sony 16-70 is for me a more suitable range for travel than Fujis 18-55, but overall Fuji has a much better lens selection.

Flash: Poor choices on Fuji

If I had to decide now, I would likely go with a 6k with the small kit zoom as a compact companion and let that grow over time.

I am not willing to change my workflow for a camera, so the XT1 could be a consideration after the issues have been resolved by Adobe, or the XT2 comes out with a Bayer sensor 

Lars's gear list:Lars's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?

If you end up being anti power zoom ( very understandable) but OK with a little more size you can pick up the older sel1855 kit lens for less than the current kit upgrade.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to Alxy, 3 months ago

Alxy wrote:

Fuji has fast primes: 23mm q.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2. Sony has no comparable lenses.

By the end of the year Fuji will have 2.8 zooms.

It all comes down to lenses and you personal preferences of cause.

Yes if you only read specs. If you actually try the lenses than you may find...

...that Sony Zeiss E 24mm f/1.8, Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS and the FE 55mm f/1.8 are quite comparable.

Granted, the Fuji's will give you slightly better subject isolation. However...

...the Sony 24mm has a minimum close focus distance that will make you addicted to that lens and it is lighter and feels nicer built than the Fuji counterpart. Feels much more usable than the Fuji when I was playing with them.

The E 35mm f/1.8 in many cases provide better low light performance due to the optical stabilisation and it is again less heavy than the Fuji. Performance of the to lenses are comparable although the Sony AF is much faster and it is internal.

The FE 55mm f/1.8 is a FF lens and even though it is a slower lens than the Fuji, it is still a fast lens. Sharpness of the Sony is legendary and again you can use it on FF as well AND it is lighter and more compact than the Fuji.

When the Sony Zeiss FE 85mm is announced next month, whether it will be f/1.8 or f/1.4 then Fuji suddenly will not have any alternative to that lens.

So no, Fuji does not easily claim the lens throne here. Both ranges are impressive and the Sony Zeiss lenses are just special IMO.

Chad Hardy
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?

Great fit and finish
8 frames per second

Greg

I couldn't agree more.  There are 2 main reasons for me to go Fuji over Sony:

1.  Shooting experience (I like dials more than software)

2.  Lenses.  They are CHEAP comparatively, cover most of the shooting scenarios we want, and optics are incredibly good.  To compare the 35mm 1.4 is $450 on Fuji and the 35 2.8 Zeiss is $800 on Sony.  I have both and they are both awesome IQ wise.  As such the Fuji is faster and about 1/2 the price....so it is an easy choice.

That said I would not compare it to a FF sensor camera like the A7 or A7R, just a preference.  I don't like to compare crops to FF.  The A7/R are amazing feats of engineering.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
How Quickly Do You Want Your Shots??

I bit into purchasing an X-T1 after all the hype, even though I was a Sony NEX shooter. So let me tell you why the X-T1 went back after 4-5 days shooting with it.....

First off, I am not a professional, but a serious hobbyist. I go on a lot of vacation trips with my family and my main thing is shooting architecture, landscapes, portraits, and some low light. What I want out of my camera besides great image quality, is a quick camera that can get me the shot I need without having to do any adjustments, causing me to lose a shot. As many of you know, when you are out sightseeing/taking a tour while in vacation, there are certain situations where you need a shot very quickly that you cannot afford to miss.

The X-T1 is not a camera that can serve you well in this category. You will need to adjust ISO by pressing down an unlock-button to turn a dial that's located on the top left of the camera with your left hand. You will need to adjust Exposure Comp. by turning a dial that's located at the top right of the camera with your right hand. Then after that, turn the aperture ring on the lens to get F stop you need, which then leads to you choosing the AF point, as the Auto-Area AF is unreliable. (Try doing this while you are looking through the EVF and getting the shot you need quickly).

The X-T1's old school design is beautiful. It has superb image quality with a nice lens lineup. But it is not a "fast" operational camera in terms of just firing away and getting your shots. There are a few reviews online which state the same. They explain how it is a shame that it may take you 8-12 seconds to get one shot after you go around turning dials on top of the camera with your hands.

Either way, my main gripe as I said is with the Auto-Area Autofocus of the X-T1. For our Sony cameras, when you are in Auto-Area you get many autofocus points that are usually spot on in predicing what you want in focus. It is the quickest way to get a shot. Just frame your scene and fire away. The X-T1's auto-area consists of just ONE AF point and it is EXTREMELY inaccurate. I tried taking a picture of a coca cola can that was at the center of the frame, about 1-2 feet away from me and it would focus everywhere. It would only focus on the coke can every now and then. So imagine you trying to focus quickly to get a shot that you cannot miss. Can you rely on the camera to get you that shot you really need? No, you would need to start moving around the focus point yourself, and by then there might not be enough time. Not to mention, the Face Detect AF does not work most of the time, and it will not work when someone is wearing sunglasses or if their head is not absolutely facing directly at the camera. I think the Sony Face Detect works amazingly well.

The X-T1 is a great camera for the user that wants to take time to compose his shot. It sort of makes you think more about what you are doing. But for users like me, although I DO sometimes choose my AF point and may take some time for certain shots, there are several situations where I do want to take a quick shot I can't miss and feel confident my camera will focus correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads