ViewNX2 issue - any ideas to solve?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,890Gear list
Like?
ViewNX2 issue - any ideas to solve?
5 months ago

Shooting D800e here, and Windows 7, 64-bit.   I've long used ViewNX2 to quickly review and rate images after I've initially downloaded them.  (I use DownloaderPro to download from camera, and I use CaptureNX2, usually, to post-process them).

This used to work well for me, because of the 'quickly' part.  Specifically, I found a way to review & rate with minimal mouse clicks.   I would set filtering on in ViewNX2, then tell it to only display unrated images.   Next, I'd open the first image in full-screen view mode, and (with only 1 click), rate the image 1 to 5 stars.   With filtering on, showing only unrated images, ViewNX2 would automatically filter out the image I just reviewed and bring up the next one for me.    Couldn't be any less work (mouse clicks).

Than about a year ago, I assume with one of the ViewNX2 updates, the above stopped working in a 'broken way'.  I wonder if others can confirm if this is happening to their software.

What happens now is that that FIRST image I rate (after launching ViewNX2), rates just fine.   The rating is immediately applied, and the next image comes up.  (Or, if not viewing in full screen, at least the rating is applied).

AFTER that first image is rated, the problem begins.  Any image I try to rate requires two attempts, and there is a several-second delay in the program responding after the first attempt.  It happens like this:

1. Try to rate an image

2. ViewNX2 screen goes blank (image not shown), for 2-4 seconds.

3. Image is redisplayed - but without any rating applied.

4. Try again to rate the image, and it works immediately.

-then repeat the above for every other image I try to rate, until I close and restart ViewNX2, at which point it rates image(s) the first time OK, then reverts to the problem.

The problem ONLY occurs when filtering is turned on, to show only certain ratings.  (In my case, no ratings at all.   But if I were filtering for 2-star images, and then rerated them to some other rating, the problem happens there too.)

I have other software I could use to rate images, but the key to how I like to do it is to see only one full-screen image at a time, and then have the next image come up immediately once I rate something.  I've not seen how to do that in Lightroom.   I could do it in CaptureNX2, but that program is too slow for me to initially go through 200-300 images from a day's shoot.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,823Gear list
Like?
Re: ViewNX2 issue - any ideas to solve?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 5 months ago

Try hitting F5 (refresh) after rating.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to Jack Hogan, 5 months ago

Does nothing, other than cause another multi-second delay.

The display refreshes itself, with or without using F5.   The ratings aren't saved though.

For instance, I'm looking at a folder with 237 D800e shots in it from a couple days ago.   I click on one image and rate it - instantly done.

Click on the next image to rate it, and ....

-image(s) being rated blank out, while I see 'processing' for 6 seconds.

-image(s) display comes back, showing the image.  No rating applied.

Click the rating again at this point, and it's rated and filtered instantly.

The key to causing this is to filter on star ratings to show only unrated images.   So the entire display has to resort/filter for every rating.

What I've been dealing with for the last year is having to wait an extra 6 seconds for every image I rate, plus having to do it twice.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Jack Hogan
Like?

Weird, it does not do that on my system (win7).  Don't know what else to suggest.

lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 960Gear list
Like?

Just a thought, if you can't find a solution and are no longer using View NX for the reason you mentioned. you can always do the unthinkable and uninstall then re-install and start from scratch again and refuse any future updates... This does sound totally crazy but it just might...

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to lickity split, 5 months ago

lickity split wrote:

Just a thought, if you can't find a solution and are no longer using View NX for the reason you mentioned. you can always do the unthinkable and uninstall then re-install and start from scratch again and refuse any future updates... This does sound totally crazy but it just might...

Yes, that does sound like lunacy. But go ahead and try it and delete the ViewNX folder too (C:\Program Files\Nikon\ViewNX2). Restart then download and reinstall.

Stan

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167Gear list
Like?

Craig: I've got this same problem. Haven't found a work around. Sometimes I turn off filtering while I'm doing the rating--I know it's not as convenient, but it speeds things up.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?

I've tried the steps in your first post, and can not replicate the issue.

Perhaps have a look on cache settings and perhaps try cleaning the cache? Note, there are cachefiles stored in two places...

Otherwise, get the Nikon cleaning tool, and do a fresh, clean install using latest downloads.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,652
Like?
Uses labels?

foPHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Shooting D800e here, and Windows 7, 64-bit.   I've long used ViewNX2 to quickly review and rate images after I've initially downloaded them.  (I use DownloaderPro to download from camera, and I use CaptureNX2, usually, to post-process them).

i would clear the cache in the edit-option-general menu

what you are describing is not happening on my system windows 7 64 bit latest software

i prefer using the number labels as they can be placed using the keyboard

so in full screen mode with filter off - you don't use the mouse

apply number using keyboard  with one hand- use arrow key to select next image with the other hand - repeat until done

i usually just rate the good pictures with a 1 and then go back and use the filter to select them

to me, being a good typist, it is quicker than using the mose

i can also go back and forth quickly to compare a group of images

i know not all software support the number labels and not sure why view nx 2 doesn't have keyboard short cuts to the start ratings

but for view nx2 the number labes are the quickest way to sort because you can directly access from the keyboard

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 5 months ago

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling in the past.   I'll have another go at that, I think.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Re: Uses labels?
In reply to David314, 5 months ago

I may give that method a try.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

yihlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
Yes and No.

Very clever the way you rate files. Thumb up.

2 to 4 seconds waiting is too long. Unless your got a very old computer, something is wrong with your system.

Now for the solution:

NO - It's a program bug, there is no way to work around it within the program itself. This applies to all versions from 2.8.x to 2.9.x.

YES - v.2.7.6 is the latest one that works to your purpose. File signature date is 2013 May 14. The risk is, naturally, any Nikon NEF enhancement made after that date will not be supported.

YES - Windows 7 supports virtual mode. In quick words, it's like running one OS within another. Set it up to run older version ViewNX2 in XP, which by itself is running under Windows 7. You can have both OS and both versions of ViewNX2 running at the same time. This feature is fully documented and supported by Microsoft, worth a shot.

One more thing. Both Label and Rating are IPTC file property. Nikon software supports both. From other apps, Rating usually receives better support than Label does.

Jack Hogan
Like?

David314 wrote:

i know not all software support the number labels and not sure why view nx 2 doesn't have keyboard short cuts to the start ratings

Sure it does: ctrl-# to toggle # of stars on, ctrl-0 to toggle rating off.

Probably better than using labels if one wants compatibility with other programs all of which access the star rating field but many of which know nothing about a 'labels' field.

kormendi_adam
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?

I wanted to suggest the same thing. I am curious now whether it solves your problem.

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: How about Rate / sort images in another software maybe?
In reply to yihlee, 5 months ago

I like to rate and sort in folders and rename my images in ACDSee Pro (now version 7 for windows) and I also have ACDSee Pro 2 for Mac as I use both systems. ACDSee Pro 7 is more featured currently for windows over Mac, however both softwares add more features each year. I find both great for managing images and files can stay in original folders without having to import I find a bonus. To use the programs, sufficient Ram at minimum 8GB Ram, or more is best such as 16GB Ram ideal and keeps the program running fast, with second or so to display files. Perhaps try a trial version to see how fast.

I then take all the selected images to Lightroom or DXO for Raw processing, or Photoshop for the editing work.

Just providing hopefully some useful information. However, if you prefer to stay in ViewNX2, that could work...I have tried that software, also check your Ram on your system.

To Poster:

As you have D800e files, do you have 16 Ram or more, with i5 or i7 processor and good video card to handle the files?

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

I use ViewNX2 to cull before going into Lightroom, but I was using the arrow button to go to the next image, not filtering - you've saved me a keystroke.

I'm using V 2.8.1 64bit on windows 8.1x64 and I do not have a problem or delay in using your technique, if that helps any.  What version are you using, I think mine is old (and if it's a "feature" in the new maybe I should not upgrade!).

I really wish Lightroom would allow use of the full size preview built in, so I could cull there.  Using two programs is a disappointment, but using ViewNX2 cut my time to review a shoot down dramatically, as I usually discard about 90% of the shots (sports action).

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Re: Yes and No.
In reply to yihlee, 5 months ago

yihlee wrote:

Very clever the way you rate files. Thumb up.

Was looking for the absolute fastest way (least mouse clicks).

2 to 4 seconds waiting is too long. Unless your got a very old computer, something is wrong with your system.

My system is pretty decent.  I build my own computers, and I have a bunch of them running here, though most are servers.   Anyway, even my older PC used to rate/filter/refresh in much less than a second, so it's not computer speed at fault.   (I'm running a quad-core with 32gb of RAM, multiple hard drives, win 7 64-bit).

Now for the solution:

NO - It's a program bug, there is no way to work around it within the program itself. This applies to all versions from 2.8.x to 2.9.x.

Kind of what I've figured, except I can't see why this bug hasn't been fixed in all those interim releases!

YES - v.2.7.6 is the latest one that works to your purpose. File signature date is 2013 May 14. The risk is, naturally, any Nikon NEF enhancement made after that date will not be supported.

If it supports both V2 and D800e files, I'm OK.   (However, I'm thinking about adding the 9300, assuming it's a real camera that's a D300 replacement.)

Most of what I do in ViewNX2 is review and rating.  Occasionally a quick JPG conversion to email someone.   But once I rate images, I do almost all post processing in CaptureNX2, so if back-revving ViewNX2 lost me some new feature, it wouldn't bother me.

YES - Windows 7 supports virtual mode. In quick words, it's like running one OS within another. Set it up to run older version ViewNX2 in XP, which by itself is running under Windows 7. You can have both OS and both versions of ViewNX2 running at the same time. This feature is fully documented and supported by Microsoft, worth a shot.

I already have VirtualXP on there, but it's not worth the effort, generally speaking, to run that on top of all the other stuff I've got running on this PC.

I'm pretty familiar with virtual environments.  I'm running 3 VMWare servers in the house now, with an iSCSI SAN and about 14 virtual servers.

One more thing. Both Label and Rating are IPTC file property. Nikon software supports both. From other apps, Rating usually receives better support than Label does.

I've noticed that some programs don't see to do star ratings that Nikon software 'sees', and vice-versa, which gives me pause for concern.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to Ferguson, 5 months ago

Ferguson wrote:

I use ViewNX2 to cull before going into Lightroom, but I was using the arrow button to go to the next image, not filtering - you've saved me a keystroke.

Yep, per image.

I'm using V 2.8.1 64bit on windows 8.1x64 and I do not have a problem or delay in using your technique, if that helps any. What version are you using, I think mine is old (and if it's a "feature" in the new maybe I should not upgrade!).

Win 7 Enterprise, 64-bit, patched up daily.   ViewNX2, currently 2.9.0, but this issue started at least a year ago, seemingly at some new version of ViewNX2.  I keep those sort of programs updated so there have been several versions installed since the problem began.

I really wish Lightroom would allow use of the full size preview built in, so I could cull there. Using two programs is a disappointment, but using ViewNX2 cut my time to review a shoot down dramatically, as I usually discard about 90% of the shots (sports action).

Same here.  I have Lightroom too, but haven't put in the time to learn it.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Same here. I have Lightroom too, but haven't put in the time to learn it.

It's worth it, would be lost without it.  In fact wouldn't use ViewNX2 for this except for being in a hurry (a lot of people use PhotoMechanic -- if you are really looking for absolute fastest and don't mind spending money, use that).

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to Ferguson, 5 months ago

Ferguson wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Same here. I have Lightroom too, but haven't put in the time to learn it.

It's worth it, would be lost without it. In fact wouldn't use ViewNX2 for this except for being in a hurry (a lot of people use PhotoMechanic -- if you are really looking for absolute fastest and don't mind spending money, use that).

Lightroom needs to have a way that I can view a full-screen image, rate it with a single click and have it automatically go on to the next image.

I also use Photo Mechanic, though only to produce simple web pages.   In fact most of my images now are only seen via a web browser through PM-generated web pages.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads