Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700.
5 months ago

I just purchased a used D700 from a Reuters photographer.  I got the D700, 5 batteries, and a MB-10 Grip for $700.  The camera had tape all over it and the grips were kind of nasty, but the sensor looked great and it took great photos.  The shutter sounded snappy.

Before I even met up with the chap who was selling the camera, he told me NPS had replaced the shutter a short time ago during an event he attended.

However, two days later I check the shutter count and it showed 242,000 shots on the shutter.   I thought NPS always resets the shutter count to ZERO when they replace a shutter.  Is this true?

Was I snookered?   I admit, I got the camera for a great price.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700.
In reply to Al Giordano, 5 months ago

There was a recent thread where this was discussed and the conclusion seemed to be that Nikon doesn't always handle shutter count resets consistently.

I would rather Nikon not reset the counter because of the wear and tear on the rest of the body that is reflected by the 242000 actuations.

I would request proof of the work being done from the seller.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761Gear list
Like?
Maybe on the new shutter part

Al Giordano wrote:

I just purchased a used D700 from a Reuters photographer. I got the D700, 5 batteries, and a MB-10 Grip for $700. The camera had tape all over it and the grips were kind of nasty, but the sensor looked great and it took great photos. The shutter sounded snappy.

Before I even met up with the chap who was selling the camera, he told me NPS had replaced the shutter a short time ago during an event he attended.

However, two days later I check the shutter count and it showed 242,000 shots on the shutter. I thought NPS always resets the shutter count to ZERO when they replace a shutter. Is this true?

Was I snookered? I admit, I got the camera for a great price.

I don't think Nikon would replace a shutter at "an event" but if you can get ahold of the seller ask him for proof of shutter replacement.  If not, don't worry about it. $700 is not the end of the world, and if it works as it should, shutter count is irrelevant. Come to think of it though, grips typically get replaced when a shutter is replaced, if I remember reading correctly.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?

naw, man. that camera is barely broken in yet...

seriously, if the shutter was recently replaced (and that thread the others refer to was almost unanimous in the view that nikon does NOT reset the count) then you probably can shoot that camera for years without worry.

mine doesn't have that much mileage on it, but it's a well-used, 5-year-old camera that shows its age, but still works perfectly. the rubber grips have been peeling off for years. you can either try to fix it with double-sided tape or buy the replacement parts from nikon (those are among the ones they sell). either way, that should be a non-issue.

i'm glad to hear that no everyone is totally risk-averse around here...

Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 5 months ago

i'm glad to hear that no everyone is totally risk-averse around here...

I love the D700; it's such a great little camera to have in the toolbox.  I plan on replacing the grips, Video cover, etc and if the shutter goes, I'll replace that too!  It's a perfectly good camera otherwise.  Perhaps some of the better photos from the previous owner will seep into my shoots!!!!

Thanks for the replies!

Al

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,828Gear list
Like?

They don't always reset the counter

I have been at events (NASCAR races) where NPS was present and they did do some amazing things for people.

Shutter replacement is in the 400 dollar range.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon Df +12 more
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 5 months ago

Does it still work? At 700, it's a bargain.

The thing with shutters is, you never know how long they'll last. Even if it was replaced, it could die on you in 100k shutters, and even if it wasn't, it could last you that long, you never know.

If you're really concerned, I'd buy it off you for $750

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Stephen Brenner
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?

When I had the shutter replaced on my D600,
the shutter count was not reset.

mpe
mpe
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to LD_50, 5 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

There was a recent thread where this was discussed and the conclusion seemed to be that Nikon doesn't always handle shutter count resets consistently.

Well, I believe they never reset that.

Shutter counter is an indicator of mileage of whole camera not just the shutter. Mirror mechanism, buttons and controls, etc have their lifetime too. It would make any sense to reset the counter when replacing a single part. Just as car service doesn't reset mileage counter when servicing engine.

T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to mpe, 5 months ago

mpe wrote:

LD_50 wrote:

Well, I believe they never reset that.

Shutter counter is an indicator of mileage of whole camera not just the shutter. Mirror mechanism, buttons and controls, etc have their lifetime too. It would make any sense to reset the counter when replacing a single part. Just as car service doesn't reset mileage counter when servicing engine.

On the flip side it is called a "shutter count"  Unlike an odometer not being called a "service engine meter"  And at one point Nikon used to reset them.  Maybe not all, but some.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
Rogerlange
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?

send it too nikon they will replace the grips and clean it all up. they would know if the shutter was changed as well.

Rogerlange's gear list:Rogerlange's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +4 more
xtm
xtm
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rogerlange, 5 months ago

Enjoy shooting it and beat it up some more!

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +2 more
en792
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
In reply to xtm, 5 months ago

I find it odd that many here are singing the praises of the D700 (well, that's not the odd part), yet I have my backup D700 body sitting on eBay right now in absolutely cherry condition with 3333 shutter actuations. Yet I'm sitting on a high bid right now of around $1200. If it stays at that, I'm not parting with it.

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to en792, 5 months ago

en792 wrote:

I find it odd that many here are singing the praises of the D700 (well, that's not the odd part), yet I have my backup D700 body sitting on eBay right now in absolutely cherry condition with 3333 shutter actuations. Yet I'm sitting on a high bid right now of around $1200. If it stays at that, I'm not parting with it.

Well you're at $1280 with a full 3 days left on the auction and 34 people watching it, so it should be safe to assume that it's going to go higher than that. Which is more than a lot of people want to pay for a D600 ( or have to ) with same type of shutter count. Which says something about the D700. Don't know what you're expecting ( $1700?? ) but you're not far off what they sell for which is about $1400 or $1500. Anything over that is a bonus.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700. fair comment
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

en792 wrote:

Well you're at $1280 with a full 3 days left on the auction and 34 people watching it, so it should be safe to assume that it's going to go higher than that. Which is more than a lot of people want to pay for a D600 ( or have to ) with same type of shutter count. Which says something about the D700. Don't know what you're expecting ( $1700?? ) but you're not far off what they sell for which is about $1400 or $1500. Anything over that is a bonus.

-- hide signature --

Not a guarantee for en792, but I agree. I find that good buys on Ebay tend to stay middling bids until the last day, then it ramps up.

The smart buyers wait till the last to disclose their hand, to prevent the auction jumping too fast too early, but at the last few hours, even last hour, things can ramp up quickly when the ones who really want an item, put their bid in.

And the ones who REALLY want an item, are watching down to the last minute to drop in a bid...

I know, I have done it...

Also, if I see an item I want, I also look for 'Buy It Now' prices, to assess if they are fair, if they are fair, buy it now can actually make more sense, as some items shoot up even higher in /nid wars' than similar items from say, KEH.

Note too that there appear to be dealers on Ebay, who buy and sell items on Ebay for a profit. They can send up auction prices as well.

When I watch an item, I check competing bidders (only shows a code, but it is distinct). And some buyers are bidding on multiple flashes or similar lenses, at many auctions. Have to be dealers.

However, some buy it now prices are silly high.

Gotta do one's research.

Going by what I have seen, as TO Shooter says, that D700 8should* far more than USD 1,200.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,450Gear list
Like?
Pro and Journalist selling equipment- run fast...

Whenever a seller claims to be a "pro" or "journalist" or sports photographer, who claims to have taken care of his equipment, I run away, as fast as I can. I don't care if they "take care of their equipment", their equipment are probably used more and taken more abused than a casual photographer's equipment. I'm a sports photographer. Do you want to buy my 400mm lens in mint condiditon? Just because it's clean looking does not mean the focusing motor has gone through a lot of miles.  And, every mechanical device has a certain useful life.  Certainly much more used than a 400mm lens from a casual BIF photographer.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
Re: Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700. fair comment
In reply to ImageAmateur, 5 months ago

I recently bought an immaculate D700 on ebay, buy it now priced at $1500. After scoping out the going rates, I decided that price point, for a camera with less than 3k shutter count from a 100% seller was a good deal. I was not disappointed.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,828Gear list
Like?
In reply to en792, 5 months ago

en792 wrote:

eBay auctions do have a funny pattern, they do tend to ramp up at the last minute or even seconds.

Also there can be disparity between market value and eBay transaction price.

Also disparity between market value and worth and worthiness of the camera.

I use all of these factors to my advantage.

I bought a mint D700 to replace one that was stolen for just a tick over a thousand dollars.

A lot of people (most?) think the D600 and D800 are probably the way to go for general purpose FX, and for the most part, I agree - EXCEPT THAT it appears that so many people are relatively down on the 700 that market value is lower than it ought to be IMO.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon Df +12 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,028Gear list
Like?

No. Though out of curiosity, did he show you the NPS receipt for the work done?

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Bruce Bracken
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Ask for proof

They should have reset the shutter count if they replaced the shutter. There should also have been paperwork that accompanied the replacement, even if it was at an event. Since it was out of warranty, he would have had to pay for it, and there would be a paper trail. Ask for paper proof of the shutter replacement.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads