Uploading Images

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Les Kamens
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
Uploading Images
5 months ago

I know I'm not exactly in the correct forum but thought I would check in here as well.

As a location photographer, I am constantly plagued with hotels that say they have fast internet but when i connect i get somewhere around 50 - 100 kbs down and 20-60 kbs Up.

There has to be a better way. Is there a provider out there that has a portable device that is really fast so I'm not hung up by having to be tethered to a hotel or some other network.

I'm generally uploading between 2-5 gigs a night.

Thanks for any insight

Les

Les Kamens's gear list:Les Kamens's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: Uploading Images
In reply to Les Kamens, 5 months ago

Les

I'm big on multiple backups myself.  I use a program called SyncBackSE, which is a backup and file/directory synchronization program.  I use it for my business, but it also works really well for photographic directories.

I have a standard data directory on my office/home raid storage system where everything resides.  When I am headed out of town with my laptop I synchronize selected storage folders between my RAID system and the laptop. On the laptop I run another instance of the program and synchronize between the laptop and a 2 TB USB 3 drive.  Once everything is in sync I can delete the camera cards.

New data is downloaded to the laptop.  Once complete, I run SyncBack to synchronize the laptop drive to the USB 3 to provide redundancy.  The program can also be set up to synchronize across an FTP connection, so that whenever there is reasonable internet bandwidth I can synchronize any changes to my in house FTP server, which utilizes a directory on my RAID storage server.

Soon I'm planning on some sort of windows 8 tablet or ultra convertible, such as the Surface Pro, or Lenovo Yoga, either with a 512 GB SSD drive.  The back end synchronization with a USB 3 drive and a RAID storage server will remain the same.

Finally, I have two 12 TB 4-drive RAID servers that run an automatic backup mirror every night.  They reside in two different areas of the building, off of separate power circuits for further data integrity.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,115
Like?

Les Kamens wrote:

I know I'm not exactly in the correct forum but thought I would check in here as well.

As a location photographer, I am constantly plagued with hotels that say they have fast internet but when i connect i get somewhere around 50 - 100 kbs down and 20-60 kbs Up.

There has to be a better way. Is there a provider out there that has a portable device that is really fast so I'm not hung up by having to be tethered to a hotel or some other network.

Thanks for any insight

Are you looking for a portable storage device? Or portable internet connectivity (e.g. 4G mobile connectivity) to a remote server?

Is the purpose to transfer photos to someone else? Or backup? Or for storage reasons?  Or sharing with clients via internet?

-- hide signature --
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,890Gear list
Like?

Les Kamens wrote:

I'm not surprised.   I do a lot of IT work involving internet access, and wireless, and I've seen all kinds of issues with speed.

It could be that they do have fast internet - except that it's not fast enough for the load on it.   Besides laptops, you may have smartphones and tablets trying to stream movies, update email, browsing, etc.

If you have an option for wired as well as wireless in these hotels, try the wired links.    The wired links will be at least as fast a wireless, and probably faster.  (I carry my own wireless router so if I have a wired option, I can plug in my router and my laptop, cellphone and wife's laptop are all ready to go, and without a shared wireless password too.).

Another big issue is antenna placement.   Most hotels have a decent system, but sometimes you'll get a room that has marginal signal to a distant access point.   Sometimes you have more than one choice of access points, and it's possible a more-distant access point has better overall speed than one with stronger wireless signal too.

If you have a smartphone AND if you have decent signal to the phone, you may very well get good to excellent speeds by using tethering.   This can, of course, cost a lot of money with some (many? most? all?) wireless plans if you are doing the amount of data you need.   Still, it's worth checking into.  My Samsung Galaxy S3, using Tmobile service, will often give me at least T1 speeds (1.5mbps) tethered.

Tethering charges: you have two things to worry about here - the amount of data you are allowed with your smartphone plan, and (often) an addition charge to turn on the tethering feature.  ($15/mo with my Tmobile plan).   What I've found is that the tethering charge is for Wifi 'tethering', where the data comes and goes over the phone spectrum, but the cellphone itself becomes a wifi access point to your laptop.   There is another option - use USB tethering.  (Cord between phone and laptop).

With the USB tether option, I can get internet access for my laptop without paying the Tmobile $15/mo charge.   I use a program called PDANet+ on my phone.  (PDANet+ isn't free, but you can use the trial version for 5 minutes or so at a time, or some amount of data - it's enough to at least prove the concept.  You also need a client piece (Windows or Mac) on the laptop.

That's a tough amount of data.

You could also see if there is faster internet access in the lobby or business center of the hotel.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,723Gear list
Like?

I'd get MUCH faster than that simply by tethering my laptop to my iPhone and using the 3G.

I just ran Speed Test and my 3G connection returns 20.19Mbps down and 13.85Mbps up.

I almost never use hotel wi fi unless it is free or very cheap. However uploading the amount of data you are talking about would be expensive - my mobile plan (like most NZ plans) is data capped. My included limit is 2.5Gb/month. Over that and you're paying 20cents a Mb.

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,115
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 5 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

I'd get MUCH faster than that simply by tethering my laptop to my iPhone and using the 3G.

I just ran Speed Test and my 3G connection returns 20.19Mbps down and 13.85Mbps up.

I almost never use hotel wi fi unless it is free or very cheap. However uploading the amount of data you are talking about would be expensive - my mobile plan (like most NZ plans) is data capped. My included limit is 2.5Gb/month. Over that and you're paying 20cents a Mb.

Yeah, the issue will quickly turn into one of cell phone data limits/charges if the OP is really trying to transfer 2-5GB every few days.  If I had to xfer that much data and had such a poor hotel connection, I'd first see if the hotel lobby provided better connectivity (sometimes, you just have poor wireless reception in some rooms, but the lobby is more optimized for wireless reception) and then, if not, I'd seek out a nearby Starbucks for better connectivity.  Starbucks are not all universally fast either, but are usually better than many hotels in my experience.

-- hide signature --
Les Kamens
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Thanks Everyone!  It's a tough issue that we have dealt with for may years.    I shoot Conferences and Tradeshows.  Generally their on line publications need daily images and I'm always able to provide images for my clients.   I upload to my server and have a pass word protected area for each job.  Thanks for all the hotel tips and believe me i Have used them all and then some.   the last was the hotel IT person was really their AV person but has combined responsibility.   Long story short My data center was able to pinpoint the port issue with the hotel.  They refused to listen but did walk me to the hotel next door where i sat in their lobby for 1 1/2 uploading a gig and a half.  A fellow Photographer mentioned hot spots. and I am just starting to investigate it.   again thanks all

Les Kamens's gear list:Les Kamens's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads