Started 6 months ago | Discussions
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,463Gear list
Like?
D800 vs Hassy
6 months ago

I thought you Nikon guys might be interested in this from The Camera Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBTE4xpvpk

The D800 does better than I thought it would.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 966
Like?
Good enough is always good enough
In reply to dmanthree, 6 months ago

Interesting comparison. For 1/3 the price the Nikon is a bargain. Sort of like a Porsche Cayman against a Ferrari 458. For 95% of the time, the Cayman is just as good. Bottom line as said by the photographer, " clients don't want us showing up with the same camera they have!". Ego ( and money ) drives everything.

P.S. I use to shoot 90% of the time with Hasselblads.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunter Pichler
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: D800 vs Hassy

I sold my Hasselblad after getting the the D800 and have not looked back, great camera.

-- hide signature --
dmanthree
Like?
Re: Good enough is always good enough
In reply to Weegee, 6 months ago

Weegee wrote:

Interesting comparison. For 1/3 the price the Nikon is a bargain. Sort of like a Porsche Cayman against a Ferrari 458. For 95% of the time, the Cayman is just as good. Bottom line as said by the photographer, " clients don't want us showing up with the same camera they have!". Ego ( and money ) drives everything.

What I would have liked to have seen, since the Nikon is so strong with shadow noise and detail, is to underexpose the Nikon, and see how the highlights pull back. Yes, when you overexpose it blows out. At some point, all things do, digital or film. But why not take advantage of the Nikon's strengths to overcome that very minor shortcoming? Still, overall, the D800 showed very well.

And, like the shooter admitted, they need to have "bigger and more expensive" cameras than the hobbyists that show up at shoots.

Lame.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Gunter Pichler, 6 months ago

Gunter Pichler wrote:

I sold my Hasselblad after getting the the D800 and have not looked back, great camera.

-- hide signature --

I think if it could tether, and the shooter really learned how to use it to it's strengths, they'd have no problem producing saleable images. Then again, they need bigger and more expensive cameras to separate them from the hobbyists, right?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

About whether an impressive Hasseblad is needed in applications where results are similar to a D800 ...

For well-informed clients, no.

For poorly-informed clients (but with checkbooks), yes.

I guess some photographers get to a point where they turn down jobs because a client (aka boss) is poorly-informed about equipment.

Being right doesn't pay the rent unless you've reached the level of famous diva-tographer.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Bunza, 6 months ago

Bunza wrote:

About whether an impressive Hasseblad is needed in applications where results are similar to a D800 ...

I guess some photographers get to a point where they turn down jobs because a client (aka boss) is poorly-informed about equipment.

Being right doesn't pay the rent unless you've reached the level of famous diva-tographer.

I imagine if the job called for some work that required an ISO higher than 200, the choice would be really simple. I was surprised at how noisy the Hassy was. Not even in the same class as my GH3, it seems. For that kind of money I'd expect better.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 966
Like?
The D800 can be tethered now!

To lightroom. I shoot with a D700 tethered to my Macbook Pro. Wonderful experience. Sure beats waiting for a minute and a half waiting for a Polaroid. I only wish my Olympus OMD-E5 could be shot tethered!

Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,943Gear list
Like?

Completely worthless. D800 can't be tethered, D800 has more shadow DR, Hassy has more highlight DR, RAW converter used, etc.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

SkvLTD
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
In reply to Weegee, 6 months ago

Weegee wrote:

The only exception would be if you can take a snap that would WOW the client, even if it's with their own camera. They pay for presentation and expertise, after all.

SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,838Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Weegee wrote:

What I would have liked to have seen, since the Nikon is so strong with shadow noise and detail, is to underexpose the Nikon, and see how the highlights pull back. Yes, when you overexpose it blows out. At some point, all things do, digital or film. But why not take advantage of the Nikon's strengths to overcome that very minor shortcoming? Still, overall, the D800 showed very well.

And, like the shooter admitted, they need to have "bigger and more expensive" cameras than the hobbyists that show up at shoots.

Lame.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Hobbyists don't show up when you are shooting professional assignments!

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

Bunza wrote:

I imagine if the job called for some work that required an ISO higher than 200, the choice would be really simple. I was surprised at how noisy the Hassy was. Not even in the same class as my GH3, it seems. For that kind of money I'd expect better.

The new Hasseblad with the Sony CMOS sensor should be much better at higher ISOs

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 6 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Weegee wrote:

Lame.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Hobbyists don't show up when you are shooting professional assignments!

I was just parroting the shooter's comments from the video. His words, not mine.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to CFynn, 6 months ago

CFynn wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Bunza wrote:

The new Hasseblad with the Sony CMOS sensor should be much better at higher ISOs

Is it a "full frame 645" sensor? Is there a crop factor for that format?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Kaj E, 6 months ago

Kaj E wrote:

Completely worthless. D800 can't be tethered, D800 has more shadow DR, Hassy has more highlight DR, RAW converter used, etc.

What I took away from it was that the Hassy is a nice system crying for a decent sensor. The poor noise performance of that can severely limits its use. It's useful under controlled conditions, but that's about it.

If both systems were the same price, I'd take the D800. With the price discrepancy, it's a no brainer.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,951Gear list
Like?

While interesting, this video was published 2 years ago so improvements in the Hasselblad line may make the comparison less valid.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 812
Like?

It's interesting to note that D800 shooters brag about their camera, but please note we're comparing the "best" 35mm sensor vs really long in the tooth digital backs, or simply put, entry level digital backs.

We rarelly see any comparison against the DMF big guns, like the 80mp full frame 645 sensor (Phase One IQ180, for example).

It has wonderful performance at base ISO, and a really distinct look, that only DMF can achieve.

It's important to note that those 22, 40 mp MF sensors are no longer their flagship models for a long, long time.

In fact, I might add something I've said before on these forums...

I shoot with a stone-age, 22mp Leaf Aptus back, and despite the fact it's ancient technology, limited ISO range, and the worst LCD ever made, whenever you feed this back the right conditions for it to shine, you'll be rewarded with an IQ that even the D800 cannot touch.

Don't get me wrong, not trolling here, but it'd be nice if 35mm shooters have actually used DMF cameras, before trashing those backs.

They're limited in ISO range? Sure, but that does not make them any inferior for the intended applications you'd expect a DB to be used.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,253
Like?
The big lie, repeated again

Ii see they perpetuated the lie that the Hasselblad produces 16 bits.  It does not.  The CCD Hasselblad produces 12.  The Nikon produces 14.  The CMOS Hasselblad produces 14 and a fraction.

There is no camera made today that produces 16 bits natively.

And these are the guys doing the "testing"?

johnanderson
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

I thought you Nikon guys might be interested in this from The Camera Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBTE4xpvpk

The D800 does better than I thought it would.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Seen this before, they come off so pretentious in this. Like another poster said in this thread, they really should have looked further into the fact the D800 owns the shadows; whereas the hassy owns the highlights, by underexposing both as well and showing this. They only tried to pull back highlights which painted the hassy in a good light. The Hassy is an extremely specialized, do one thing tool, and it costs more than an organ. Enough said.

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,253
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

CFynn wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Bunza wrote:

Is it a "full frame 645" sensor? Is there a crop factor for that format?

It's a 33x44mm sensor.

Wait a couple of weeks for the Pentax 645D-II.  We're expecting it to have the same sensor for around $10k.  If that happens, Pentax will undersell Phase and Hasselblad by more than $20,000 for the same imager.

And remember, implementing the Exmor is not the same as implementing the older CCD.  The Exmor chip has a digital output.  The "look" is already in the sensor.  Whereas the CCD had analog outputs, and the quality of the file was often a function of how well the analog and A-D sections were designed.  So I don't expect the Pentax will look much different from its more expensive competitors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads