D800 with classic lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
SujayM
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
D800 with classic lens
5 months ago

Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D800 6 months back. I bought Nikon 50 mm 1.8 G and 14-24 2.8 G since i shoot landscape and 50 mm bcos its must have cheap prime for multipurpose use.

Over a period of time i felt 14-24 is too expensive and had drained me out and its inability to take on filters made me sell it... got more than how much i paid though no regrets.

Now i decide on buying budget less for my so demanding monster D800... I need your views and advice on my choice :

Choice 1 : Classic Nikon 28-70 F2.8 AF-S as walk around and Nikon 80-200 F2.8 zoom lens and later add a prime (14mm or 15mm) for my wide angle landscape.

Choice 2 : Nikon 16-35 F4 as my wide angle and walk around lens and 80-200 Nikon F2.8 for tele zoom lens...

Choice 3 : Your recommendation to satisfy my wide angle, walk around and tele zoom lens.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Regards

Sujay

SujayM's gear list:SujayM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,660Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to SujayM, 5 months ago

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D800 6 months back. I bought Nikon 50 mm 1.8 G and 14-24 2.8 G since i shoot landscape and 50 mm bcos its must have cheap prime for multipurpose use.

Over a period of time i felt 14-24 is too expensive and had drained me out and its inability to take on filters made me sell it... got more than how much i paid though no regrets.

Now i decide on buying budget less for my so demanding monster D800... I need your views and advice on my choice :

What do you mean "budget less"?  That you want the best and have no limits on what you are willing to spend?

If so, then why would you buy the old 28-70 lens used and the old 80-200 f/2.8 lens?  I believe the current 24-70 is better.  I'd also get an AF-S equipped 70-200 lens with VR.

Choice 1 : Classic Nikon 28-70 F2.8 AF-S as walk around and Nikon 80-200 F2.8 zoom lens and later add a prime (14mm or 15mm) for my wide angle landscape.

Choice 2 : Nikon 16-35 F4 as my wide angle and walk around lens and 80-200 Nikon F2.8 for tele zoom lens...

Choice 3 : Your recommendation to satisfy my wide angle, walk around and tele zoom lens.

Regards

Sujay

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,011Gear list
Like?

I read "budget less" to mean setting a more conservative budget, thus the older lenses. Therefore:

When we got our first D800 we kept our 17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, and added the 80-200 f2.8 AF-D (which took some getting used to since it doesn't close focus well for us). Unless you require VR and don't mind locating good used copies I can recommend those three.  JMHO

Also:

24-70 f2.8 is well though of by many

24-85 VR, which we also have, is nice for general purpose use

28-300 VR, which people seem to either love or hate, works well for us on vacations.

And primes, of course. The premier choice for many.

Proper selection is difficult to suggest since the best choice depends on the individual.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729Gear list
Like?

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D800 6 months back. I bought Nikon 50 mm 1.8 G and 14-24 2.8 G since i shoot landscape and 50 mm bcos its must have cheap prime for multipurpose use.

That's like mixing matter and antimatter in the same bowl.

Unfortunately, wide angle and ultra wide angle is simply going to be expensive.

There are a number of budget zooms if money is the overriding factor.

UWA primes that are reasonable cheap might be the Samyang 14mm and 24mm.  Both are manual and both relatively cheap (less than $400 and $700 respectively).  They are not as good as your Nikkor you sold, but that's the way it goes.  They are not crap, either.

I can't say.  I don't like zooms.

Okay in the middle of the zoom for overall sharpness, but looses the corners at 16 and 35mm.  16mm has a lot of distortion that needs to be removed post processing.

For walking around I like light, so you might want to consider the new 35mm f/1.8 FX prime to accompany your 50mm.

Regards

Sujay

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
SujayM
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 5 months ago

It was a typo.. i meanth "Budget lens"... My budget is $1700 to be precise... I need a wide angle at least 18 mm and a zoom lens of reach 200... I don't mind buying other brands like tamron, sigma etc as far as someone has used it with D800 or knows it gives better results...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
SujayM
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 5 months ago

Thanks for that...  You said you had 28-70 and 80-200... Were you happy with it without VR? what was success rate of getting image without blurring out of every 10 shots when handheld?

Mr. Click
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?

I have the 28-70 f2.8 (the Beast), and there are just two considerations.

1. Know the history of the lens.  From what I can tell, there are two types of these lenses—those that have had the autofocus motor replaced and those that will have it replaced in the future.  I've just had mine replaced, and it is wonderful once again.

2. This is a big, heavy lens.  Yes, a useful range for a walk around, but hardly inconspicuous.  The lens on a D800 would be useful for warding off muggers, however.

-- hide signature --

Photograph—a 1/125 second slice of time that is able to store decades of memories.

coronawithlime
Like?

SujayM wrote:

Thanks for that... You said you had 28-70 and 80-200... Were you happy with it without VR? what was success rate of getting image without blurring out of every 10 shots when handheld?

I started in photography in the late 1960's.  We don't need on stinkin VR

-- hide signature --

-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."

Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,804Gear list
Like?

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

Sujay, I also do landscapes.  If you do not need the lower f/numbers (I don't) the newer Nikkor 24-120 f/4 does almost/just as well as a good number of the primes in the 24-40mm range.  Smaller and lighter than the 24-70, I bought mine for $996.  See here for instance for a good comparison.

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jack Hogan, 5 months ago

What he said! ^^

But if you're going for the old 28-70 and 80-200, why not add the obvious wide lens and have the old "Holy Trinity"?

You'll soon get very tired of dragging it around however...

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
hflavo
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

Regards

Sujay

Here's a suggestion:

Sigma is just bringing out a 24-105mm f/4 for Nikon ... part of there new "A" series (their best).  It is already out for Canon: on their 6D and 5Diii full frames, it is sharper wide to tele than most primes (DxO) starting right with f4.  This will cover your basic wide, and as a walkaround as well. $900.

Add the 80-200mm .... it is an excellent lens and works well with my D600. $750 used two-ring.  If you need stabilization the 70-300mm VR performs way beyond it's modes price. $300 used.

With the 80-200mm, that still leaves you $50.  Pick up a Nikon Series E 50mm for about that amount of money.  It is a slick little manual with excellent optics that you can use for low-light, and slip in a pocket while using your walkaround.  I've also have that for the D600 and it is extremely sharp.

When you come up with additional dollars, consider adding a Nikon or Tokina DX 12-24.  These work well on full-frame from 18-24mm and do not trigger the Nikon's auto-DX mode, but instead operate as FX lenses.  I've got one of those as well.  $300 Tokina $450 Nikon, used.

Good luck and enjoy the camera and whatever lens you choose.

-- hide signature --

HARRY LAVO
70+ years and (still) lovin it!
A brace of Nikon bodies | All the glass I need | Manfrotto pods and clamp system| Enough software to still be on the learning curve

hflavo's gear list:hflavo's gear list
Nikon D7100
SujayM
Like?
In reply to user_name, 5 months ago

Thanks... 16-35 was on my list but now its out bcos i hate working on PP to remove distortion... I also read its a fantastic for every Dslr except D800 as pointed by Michael Webber... check out the below link...

http://www.imagepower.de/IMAGES/imgEQUIPMENT/AFS1635.htm

SujayM
Like?
In reply to Mr. Click, 5 months ago

How do i know if the motor is in good condition and soo it may require a replacement?
How much did it cost for replacing the motor...

I am fine with the weight..

Thanks
Sujay

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724
Like?
2 ... Re: D800 with classic lens

The 16~35/4G VR (almost glued), the 50/1.8G and the 80~200/2.8D

-- hide signature --

Regards.

Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,804Gear list
Like?
In reply to hflavo, 5 months ago

hflavo wrote:

Here's a suggestion:

Sigma is just bringing out a 24-105mm f/4 for Nikon ... part of there new "A" series (their best). It is already out for Canon: on their 6D and 5Diii full frames, it is sharper wide to tele than most primes (DxO) starting right with f4. This will cover your basic wide, and as a walkaround as well. $900.

This is an excellent suggestion - and it has been available with a Nikon mount for the last couple of months. Like most Art lenses it is optimized for wider apertures, in this case f/5.6 vs the Nikon 24-120's f/8. This means that in the 24-40mm 'landscape' range the Sigma does better than the Nikon wide open but by f/8 the Nikon has caught up and is in fact slightly better. At apertures larger than f/11 they perform virtually identically. So to me the choice depends on what f/stops one uses most, price and whether one needs/wants better in-camera integration (automatic distortion/vignetting corrections for OOC images and better autofocus).

Jack

The sigma is also slightly heavier and larger (82mm ring, most of my filters are 77mm, like on the Nikon's).  And Capture NX2, my converter of choice, will not auto correct it.  But these things may not matter to others.

seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?

I would consider the AF-S 18-35 G for the wide angle - walk around option. It is not much behind the 16-35 but cheaper and lighter.

Then may 24-120 or one of the 70mm 2.8s and may an good used 80-200mm tank.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

coronawithlime
Like?

SujayM wrote:

Thanks... 16-35 was on my list but now its out bcos i hate working on PP to remove distortion

I would encourage you to not dismiss this lens solely because it requires distortion correction.  In PP this can be done simply by checking a box and allowing the software handle it automatically.

-- hide signature --

-

Mr. Click
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?

That is a good question.  Listen closely for any noise, especially squeaking, and check that the motor moves the lens to accurate focusing from BOTH sides of correct focus.  I was actually forced to use mine in the middle of a job one time where I had to manually turn the focus ring toward infinity before each shot, as that was the only way the lens would focus accurately.

-- hide signature --

Photograph—a 1/125 second slice of time that is able to store decades of memories.

Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to Mr. Click, 5 months ago

Interesting that this repair issue got mentioned. It is real. I bought my 28-70 f2.8 ED Nikkor lens brand new in 2005 for about$ 1500. Noticeably better sharpness on my Fuji S3 at the time than the first version of 24-120 VR Nikkor lens which had longer range, was lighter, and considerably less expensive at the time. By 2007 my expensive 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor had developed an annoying squeak, but it was by that time out of warranty, and I was advised by a Nikon Repair facility "if it is focusing OK, then keep using it, ignore the squeak". By 2009 the squeak was so bad it was embarrassing to use the lens in front of other people, but focusing was still highly accurate. In 2013 it finally died. Failed to auto focus, so I sent it in for repair. Approximately 700 dollars and six brand new internally replaced components later (that's right, it's not just the motor but several other parts as well that go bad on this lens) the lens is now working like brand new! I guess eight years of service isn't anything to complain about except for the fact that using the lens was excruciating to my ears due to the squeak in only two years. And in contrast, I have never serviced any other Nikkor lens  I own 25 of them), some dating back over 40 years and still going strong!

After all is said and done, I do believe the repair cost was worth it. It's a really good lens matched to my D800E. Some chromatic aberration that is easily correctable in ACR or LR, but overall superior image quality (much less distortion) than the latest 24-85 f3.5-5.6 G Nikkor I bought to carry me over while the older 28-70 f2.8 lens was in the repair shop. And the fact that it has an aperture ring (it's a D series lens) means I can use it on all my classic Nikon camera bodies spanning 45 years from 1959. Important if you own a whole collection of vintage Nikons like I do, but probably irrelevant if you only own recent FX Nikon camera bodies. All that said, if you are OK with G ("gelded") series lenses that don't have an aperture ring, then the newer 24-70 f 2.8 AFS ED Nikkor lens is probably a better bet.

-- hide signature --

Mark McCormick

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 840Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark McCormick, 5 months ago

I had three, failed attempts at purchasing that 28-70, "The Beast". Should have partnered with the 17-35 brother. The "perfect pair"!

But instead, I've most unexpected ended up with the 35-70mm f/2.8. Got an offer on a mint and perfect sample, and couldn't resist. Funny, little lens.

I don't know, if I imagine things, but I seems to see, these old glasses do something to your photos. Maybe it's the not nano coating??

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads