Where do you order from when you're dropping significant coin?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
doug wever
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
Where do you order from when you're dropping significant coin?
8 months ago

Okay, the Nikon stays home and the recent Olympus Em-1 is going to Africa this month.  About to buy a number of accessories, perhaps even some glass.

Cost aside as I can see that for myself, who do you guys really trust when you're dropping one or two k?

Not a fan of Adorama, what about B&H, the GearShop this site, others?

doug wever's gear list:doug wever's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
JYPfoto
Like?
Re: Where do you order from when you're dropping significant coin?
In reply to doug wever, 8 months ago

B&H most of the time.  I live in NJ so the shipping time is the same as overnight most of the time.  Adorama and Amazon both charge sales tax in my state.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?

Amazon. I have a rather substantial store credit limit with them, so pretty much all my biggest purchases have been there the past few years.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
In reply to Klarno, 8 months ago

B&H or Adorama

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,812Gear list
Like?
B&H for new, KEH for used

doug wever wrote:

Okay, the Nikon stays home and the recent Olympus Em-1 is going to Africa this month. About to buy a number of accessories, perhaps even some glass.

Cost aside as I can see that for myself, who do you guys really trust when you're dropping one or two k?

I have ordered several times from B&H in the last few years. Service and delivery is excellent. I'll order from them again. If I'm looking for used equipment, I always check out KEH because you always get more than you expect from that fine organization.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
B&H - trusted and proven. (nt)
In reply to James Pilcher, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,170Gear list
Like?

I have purchased expensive new stuff from B&H, Adorama, KEH, Amazon, and Norman Camera.  For used, it's mostly KEH; but also B&H and Adorama and refurbs from Canon's store.  Also one used item through Amazon.

As far as the experience goes:

For new gear, I have had no problems at all from KEH, B&H, Adorama, and Norman.  You can also negotiate price over the phone with Norman.

From Amazon, I bought a Sony SLT-A57 body and two lenses.  The body and one lens were fine; but the 55-300 was without the hood, the internal cardboard packaging was torn, and the lens was very low resolution.  Clearly a return that was simply put back on the shelf.  Amazon made it good when I brought it to their attention and the second lens was brand new and very sharp.  This was bought from Amazon proper; not an "associate"; and shipped from their warehouse.

For used gear and refurbished it's always a bit of a gamble as you may be buying someone else's problem.  I've had the best luck with KEH.  One or two bad pieces; but they do stand behind what they sell and they grade conservatively, so items are often better than expected.

I have had issues with both Adorama and B&H for used.  In both stores, what I was sent was not the exact used item I ordered.  Same make and model; but not the specific one I ordered.  How do I know that?  In one case it was a used Canon Pro 1 listed as in the original box and with a list of included accessories all in 9 condition.  What arrived was without a box, missing several accessories, and no better than a 7 condition.  That, I blame on their stock pickers in the used operation.  They do stand behind what they sell with no hassles; but if they send you the wrong used camera; there's no chance to get the right one if it went to somebody else.  They also don't inspect and grade as well as KEH.

Used from an Amazon "associate" is a real crap game.  A used Canon SX220HS arrived with a card and battery in the camera and a second battery in the charger.  The camera would turn on OK; but after a short (and variable) time would simply shut off.  I got my money back through Amazon's good response; but it was clear the camera was not given a thorough inspection and that the seller didn't know what he was doing.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 826Gear list
Like?

I buy at Adorama. Don't want to talk to anyone when I return stuff. Like their policies. B&H is similar, but got to talk to someone in NY, NY, which is always intimidating. Scared of Amazon, but probably shouldn't be. Got a $55 credit from Adorama BTW from my purchase of the E-M1 and lens. Applied it toward a flash.

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?

B&H

Kenmore Cameras

both reliable

I order from whoever has the products, Kenmore being closer to me on the West Coast

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
doug wever
Like?
Thanks guys, very very helpful

Thanks guys, very very helpful.

Just put together and saved a package on the B&H website, and I will order once I decide whether or not to buy a second EM-1 body from B&H or rent the second body from borrowlens.com.

I also saw that I could sign up to be notified by B&H as the forthcoming Pro Zuiko lenses come in to stock (7-14 f/2.8 and 40-150 f/2.8), so I did.  B&H says they even send monthly updates per individual future lens they are already listing as coming.  Not sure I'll buy the 300 f/4.0 Pro (over $4K?), not yet listed as a future stock item yet either.

I keep telling myself to rent the second EM-1 body since I'm hoping the EM-1 is updated with better video; or a new top-of-the-line is released by Olympus in late '14 or early '15 although there's currently no indication of that I'm aware of (by your fourth rental though you're going, I should of bought this).

Thanks again.

doug wever's gear list:doug wever's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088
Like?

I've had excellent experiences with B&H, and buying used on eBay, although I gather that some have had the opposite re eBay.

stiger
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?

A mom and pop camera shop in Hartford CT. The Camera Bar

stiger's gear list:stiger's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
LarsLeibgott
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

Adorama. Anything goes wrong I know Helen Oster will sort it out

Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?

I've ordered a few cameras ands lenses from the DPR Gearshop as well as B&H, in my experience B&H packs your order better but Gearshop has free two day shipping (even to Puerto Rico, which nobody else can match)... B&H's rewards program can make up for the shipping expenses sometimes tho, they're definitely far better stocked as far as accessories too (I've made lots of small orders at B&H even for non photography stuff).

I can attest that they both have excellent service, I've returned a couple of items to B&H without any fuss. I had to call the Gearshop at one point to clear up an order issue and I remember them answering instantly.

I've placed small orders at Adorama but mostly for non photography stuff (flashlights & accessories, etc). I've ordered one single lens direct from Japan on EBay and it went super well, really fast shipping, I'd probably seek out that seller again if I was looking for another import deal (Wink Camera if I recall correctly, got my 12-32mm from them). Can't say I've had a really bad experience so far.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066Gear list
Like?

B&H or Amazon.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +19 more
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223
Like?

Adorama.  I've been in B&H, and bought there for sure, but you are just a number - they do so much volume, with so many people and orders moving through in a single day, that you never really register as a person there.

I have a very nice rapport with my salesman at Adorama, so much so that when I went in last week to buy another lens he took 10% off as a form of appreciation and to make sure that he was competitive with any other price I may come across later.

I have even more things I need and I'll be returning to Adorama in a day or two.  I like their smaller scale and (in person, at least) more hands-on feel.  It is a person-to-person experience place, not simply move the box and make the sale.

Brad Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,193
Like?
Re: B&H for new, KEH for used
In reply to James Pilcher, 8 months ago

B&H for sure, but I live in NJ and the order comes in a day or so, Adorama, also great, I have not bought a used lens from KEH, I (heard they are great), I go onto fourthirdsphoto forum, and buy them from other members

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?

doug wever wrote:

Okay, the Nikon stays home and the recent Olympus Em-1 is going to Africa this month. About to buy a number of accessories, perhaps even some glass.

B&H

DigitalRev

Amazon

And yes, eBay

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
In reply to dinoSnake, 8 months ago

Adorama.  I've been in B&H, and bought there for sure, but you are just a number - they do so much volume, with so many people and orders moving through in a single day, that you never really register as a person there.

I have a very nice rapport with my salesman at Adorama, so much so that when I went in last week to buy another lens he took 10% off as a form of appreciation and to make sure that he was competitive with any other price I may come across later.

I have even more things I need and I'll be returning to Adorama in a day or two.  I like their smaller scale and (in person, at least) more hands-on feel.  It is a person-to-person experience place, not simply move the box and make the sale.

Huh, I didn't realize B&H was a much larger outfit than Adorama, wonder if that reflects at all on their online business. I've noticed Adorama sometimes charges slightly less in shipping but since I started off with B&H and often had some rewards built up I just stuck with them. I'm surprised at just how competitive both store's prices are compared to Amazon.... With other kinds of electronics it's usually so lopsided, even with more niche stuff (HiFi headphones for instance, all specialty stores are never even close to Amazon's prices).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,261Gear list
Like?
For visitors to western Canada
In reply to Jim Salvas, 8 months ago

I highly recommend London Drugs. Their pricing is very competitive and Americans are now getting 10% extra in exchange on their dollar in Canada. A store might not have the item in stock — but they have a well-stocked warehouse, so you could time your purchase to your trip and the item could be waiting for you.

For a Canadian shopper, when the dollar was at par, their price on the Bower/Samyang 7.5mm and the Sigma 60 could not be beaten — even on line... after factoring in shipping charges from other vendors. With the 10% dip in the Canadian dollar, London Drugs may now be an even better place for Canadians to shop.

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads