DIY battery extender for D800

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Gethin Coles
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
DIY battery extender for D800
6 months ago

Anyone had any experience with this.  I want to do some all night timelapses and I think a battery grip isn't going to cut the mustard.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hakka
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Re: DIY battery extender for D800
In reply to Gethin Coles, 6 months ago

Get one of the dtse high capacity batteries for the grip, between that and the enel15 in the cam you should get 12-15 hours depending on the ambient temp. i've ran mine for 10 hours in the cold and had about 50% left on the enel15.

-- hide signature --

www.lincolnharrison.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Helms
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: DIY battery extender for D800

Was something missing from your posting?   I was expecting a picture of an auto battery attached to a D800 with jumper cables.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Nikon AC adapter for D800 ??

Does Nikon make an AC adapter for the D800. I haven't looked for one but this would be the answer if you were to do time lapse.

The other problem I've seen in cold air is lens fogging. I saw one solution for this with a lens wrap that kept the lens just warm enough to keep it from fogging.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
Actually YES....

Li-po home made battery the size of the cigarette pack (thinner actually) made out of 2 3.7v 5000mah (actually tests close to 6000) Mah and circuit protector. I can't tell how many shots I can get out of one because I have never discharged it completely. Shot over 4000 RAW frames with chimping with it once and it didn't discharge. You can shoot in very cold weather with it because you keep it in the pocket.

The adapter is standard Nikon battery adapter EP-5B. Bought cheap chinese power adapter and cut the cord for the other side.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
EN-EL18 battery the same one used in the D4, for D800??

For your application you need something you can leave and walk away from for 12 hours at a time, right?

If you have the Nikon MB-D12 grip ($310) what about using the Nikon BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover? The description says it's a battery chamber cover that fits the MB-D12 Battery Pack and uses a Nikon EN-EL18 rechargeable lithium ion battery and is compatible with the D800/D800E. Actually it is the complete battery tray and cover for holding the battery.

The EN-EL18 battery is the same one that is used in the D4. The EN-EL18 is a 10 volt, 2000 mAh battery. The standard battery for the D800 is the EN-EL15, 7.0 Volt, 1900 mAh battery that sells for $46. How is a 10V battery compatible with a camera that uses a 7V battery?

The battery costs $125 and the only charger is a Nikon dual charger for $310. Even though it may work, this item does not seem to be a huge advantage for the price. Better to have a couple of spare EN-EL15 batteries for the standard tray, IMO.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843387-REG/Nikon_27008_BL_5_Battery_Chamber_Cover.html

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Gethin Coles
Like?
Re: Actually YES....
In reply to SushiEater, 6 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

Li-po home made battery the size of the cigarette pack (thinner actually) made out of 2 3.7v 5000mah (actually tests close to 6000) Mah and circuit protector. I can't tell how many shots I can get out of one because I have never discharged it completely. Shot over 4000 RAW frames with chimping with it once and it didn't discharge. You can shoot in very cold weather with it because you keep it in the pocket.

The adapter is standard Nikon battery adapter EP-5B. Bought cheap chinese power adapter and cut the cord for the other side.

Ok this is probably the way to go - dont want to add a whole load of weight to the camera as it'll be on a motion head of some sort.

Whats the circuit protector for, and how do you charge the 3.7v batteries?

SushiEater
Like?

All Lion batteries have circuit protector so it doesn't overcharge.

Take a look here. But if you buy two batteries you need PCB based on 7.4V and charger also based on 7.4V

http://www.all-battery.com/Li-Polymer3.7V5100mAh7545135Battery-30192-0.aspx

Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Gethin Coles
Like?
In reply to SushiEater, 6 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

All Lion batteries have circuit protector so it doesn't overcharge.

Take a look here. But if you buy two batteries you need PCB based on 7.4V and charger also based on 7.4V

http://www.all-battery.com/Li-Polymer3.7V5100mAh7545135Battery-30192-0.aspx

I ended up going with 2 6000mah lion camcorder batteries - I already had 2x2-slot chargers for these batteries, the ones I bought were 7.2v and I hacked a nikon battery to get a bit of extra juice (and theorectically allow me to swap batteries during a shot).  I did manage to kill  one in the process though - a lip of the soldering iron.

One 6000mah battery gave me about 1500 shots. A bit less than I was hoping for but good enough

thanks for all the help folks!

SushiEater
Like?

I am getting close to 3000 RAW shots per charge. Li-po batteries are a lot more efficient and they don't discharge by themselves.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads