Thoughts on buying a used XE2

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
Thoughts on buying a used XE2
9 months ago

I'm wanting to invest in Fuji glass and need a body to get that started. I'm leaning towards buying a used XE2 for now. We're there any hardware issues related to that model that I should be aware of when considering one to buy? If so what was the serial number range for those affected? Thanks and wish me well, my x100 has been wanting a buddy for a good while now.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Re: Thoughts on buying a used XE2
In reply to MrChristopher, 9 months ago

I believe there was an issue with dust spots on sensor on some copies

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonnie burtoft
Regular MemberPosts: 479
Like?

Hi, I bought a xe2 about a month ago, its a great camera and has worked brilliantly, ive had no issues. The lack of a view mode button is one annoyance i have but hopefully it will be sorted out in a firmware update.  I bought mine for £750 and it came with the 18-55 lens a gariz half case, gariz sling strap and a thumbs up grip.

I believe you can buy the xe2 with confidence as it is a very accomplished camera and has benefitted from Improvements over the xpro1 and xe1. Cheers, jon

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715Gear list
Like?

MrChristopher wrote:

I'm wanting to invest in Fuji glass and need a body to get that started. I'm leaning towards buying a used XE2 for now. We're there any hardware issues related to that model that I should be aware of when considering one to buy? If so what was the serial number range for those affected? Thanks and wish me well, my x100 has been wanting a buddy for a good while now.
--

I've had my X-E1 for just over a year. It's been a great tool to have.

I've been wanting to pick up an X-E2 as well. One thing after another has prevented that from happening; the latest being the instant rebates on lenses currently available in the U.S.A. until April 5th.

The next interruption may very well be the super deals on new X-E1's that are available. Adorama's running a promotion that ends to day: Put an X-E1 body in a shopping cart, go to check out, type "ENDOFMARCH" in the coupon box, and instead of paying $599, the price changes to $499. Same thing happens with the kits that include the 18-55mm lens: $699, which happens to be the going rate to buy the lens alone, so you basically get a free camera body with the purchase of a new lens.

If finances are an issue, you might do better by jumping on the rebates for lenses, and just pick up a couple of those before April 5th, and worry about getting a camera body later.

MrChristopher
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 9 months ago

The price for the XE1 is do tempting but I really want an XT1, but can't afford it just yet. Thus my interest in a used XE2 for now.
--

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?

MrChristopher wrote:

The price for the XE1 is do tempting but I really want an XT1, but can't afford it just yet. Thus my interest in a used XE2 for now.

Wouldn't spending less money now on an XE1 mean you can afford an XT1 sooner?

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
wyldberi
Like?

MrChristopher wrote:

--

I understand.

The line of reasoning I tend to follow is that sooner or later Fuji's going to come out with a new X-Pro2 that will be a significant advance in technology; much bigger than the incremental improvement of the X-E2 over the X-E1.

Since the Fuji lenses are such an integral part of the X Mount system, save the money now that you can on acquiring a body that's going to be temporary anyway, and spend the difference on lenses that will outlast any body by a large factor.

April 5th's the last day for the current instant rebates; at $200 off per lens, that's a significant savings that could pay for a new X-E2, depending on which lenses you eventually want to own.

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to darngooddesign, 9 months ago

darngooddesign wrote:

MrChristopher wrote:

Wouldn't spending less money now on an XE1 mean you can afford an XT1 sooner?

That's another way of looking at it; but I like the reason I listed below better.

MrChristopher
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 9 months ago

I don't know if I should curse or thank you guys is the 56 on sale right now? That is the lens I want but I might get the 18-55 now to hold me over.
--

Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,732Gear list
Like?

No, the XF 56/1.2 is not currently on sale; it's so new and so popular that most North American dealers do not have any stock right now.  Mt guess is that if you want to get it on sale you will have to wait at least until autumn, and perhaps even later.  When a new product is sold out there is no need to put it on sale!

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +18 more
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,732Gear list
Like?

MrChristopher wrote:

--

I have an X-E2 which replaced an X-E1.  IMO the X-E2 is definitely superior, as many of the little niggles in the E1 that bothered me have been fixed in the E2. Others have complained about some of the changes, but I have only experienced positives with the upgrade.

As to the X-T1, I don't expect to see any price breaks until fall; it is selling like hotcakes right now.  In terms of IQ, the X-E1 matches it IMO; it boils down to which form factor you prefer.  A used E2 would be your best bet currently, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +18 more
MrChristopher
Like?
In reply to Jim King, 8 months ago

It just makes too much sense to buy a new XT1 with the kit lens and upgrade the body later, and add the 56 when I can. So I did just that. I ordered from Adorama but with my iPhone I never saw where I could put in the endofmarch code so I sent them an email asking about it.

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

I don't know if I should curse or thank you guys is the 56 on sale right now? That is the lens I want but I might get the 18-55 now to hold me over.
--

The current price of a new X-E1 packaged w/ the 18-55mm as a "kit" is $799 USD. Up until midnight March 31st, enter the code: "ENDOFMARCH" in the coupon box at Adorama's web site, and you can buy it for $699. That's a new camera body, with a full factory warranty, with a premium standard zoom lens that sells for $699 all by itself.

There are two very good deals on lenses: XF 14mm for $799, and XF 27mm for $200.

I bought the 27mm and 23mm lenses when this discount program began. I was surprise to watch my X-E1 transform itself before my eyes into a slightly bloated X100s.

I've owned the 14mm for nearly a year; it's my favorite lens. Superb optical performance and the best wide angle lens in its class.

The lens deals last through April 5th.

wyldberi
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

It just makes too much sense to buy a new XT1 with the kit lens and upgrade the body later, and add the 56 when I can. So I did just that. I ordered from Adorama but with my iPhone I never saw where I could put in the endofmarch code so I sent them an email asking about it.

-- hide signature --

You have to scroll down a page where you're putting in your personal information. Perhaps you didn't go far enough, or skipped ahead too fast. Hopefully Adorama will honor your attempt to take advantage of their promotion.

If they don't the $799 price still represents a really good deal on a great camera. I paid $1,399 for my kit last year at this time, and I don't regret having paid full retail one bit.

Don't know what your finances are like, but for the last year I've heard reports by quite a few people who have been using the XF 60mm "macro" lens as a short telephoto lens for portraits. The focus mechanism is optimized for macro usage; it causes the that mechanism to turn a lot more to accomplish what the 23mm or 18-55mm mechanism do with less work. It means the focus can be adjusted with great accuracy, but requires more time to do so.

My copy was just delivered today. I have to update the lens firmware to use it with my X-E1. I have a couple of uses for it, and when the price came down temporarily to $400, I figure it's worth that. The lens sale lasts through April 5th.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads