Very nice images!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergeg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?
Re: * This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.29 * Part 2
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 5 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Great image of the Chevy ..... and of the Caddy here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53406796

Reminds me of my 1931 Model A Ford Coupe c/w Rumble Seat that I used to tool around in during the 1950s. My first car, unmodified except for a 6v to 12v conversion and sealed beam headlights.

Good memories, thanks!

t

Cheers Tom, glad it brought back some pleasant memories for you.

And great snow shots from you as usual!

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 650D +2 more
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Re: People having fun on the water
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 5 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Good stuff. By the way, your first shot illustrates the fallacy of the "never take pix of the backs of folks" advice. In your case it is a nice device to get the viewers' eyes into the depth of that swamp, giving it a 3D sense. A good "engagement" tool.

Nice you know you agree with my decision.

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Your shot reminded me of it. When I shoot waterfowl etc in good conditions, angles etc it is sometimes nice to get the whole reflection.

You mean like this one from a couple of weeks ago.

A great shot!  I love the Monet-like effect of the reflection.  In this case I prefer it to a mirror-like reflection.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: Springtime closeups with the 12-40
In reply to Pixnat2, 5 months ago

Nice set!

Something for us to look forward to ... in a month!

We seem to be about 3 weeks late and you seem to be a week early.

t

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,173Gear list
Like?
Re: Hanoi, Vietnam - nice work, Scotty.
In reply to NZ Scott, 5 months ago

As you say, the American war. With a bit of Australian thrown in.

That purple flare sounds a bit nasty. I can induce some flare with the 12-35 on my G6 but Panny apparently suppresses the purple very successfully.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
chrisjjb
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Sleepy week

Been on nights and everyone else has been sleeping

Car seats are nice... feel this one may be slightly oof though

Found this one while going through my rejects....not sure if it was better or worse for not getting the eyes in focus

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjjb
All answers are replies, but not all replies are answers

chrisjjb's gear list:chrisjjb's gear list
Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
KyleSlamchez
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: Sleepy week
In reply to chrisjjb, 5 months ago

Sweet baby pic!

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Pentax K20D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
KyleSlamchez
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Calabrese

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Pentax K20D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,544Gear list
Like?
Nothing terribly ambitious

It was going to be crummy weather in the City or Upstate, we opted for upstate. On the way up, just before Phonecia, just a quick stop while Anna waited. . .

Then two from a walk in the woods around the property

It was an E-M1/12-40 weekend, and it was good, for I got caught out in a misting rain with just the camera on my shoulder for a good hour.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
chrisjjb
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing terribly ambitious
In reply to Bob Tullis, 5 months ago

The first is beautiful. I love it. Need to save and but this lens
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjjb

All answers are replies, but not all replies are answers

chrisjjb's gear list:chrisjjb's gear list
Nikon D610 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
It showered/drizzled all day, above freezing, :-)

so I jumped into the truck, grabbed the GH2 with the 100-300 and looked for items of interest ....

The FIRST CANADA GEESE seen this year were looking in vain for some open water.  I hope that they have a good supply of body fat as there is no "dabbling" water around.

1 - Geese in the rainwater pools on top of 30cm (2 feet) of ice.

Hovercraft  waiting for the ice to break up ... snowmobiles are easier (and a LOT cheaper) for the next week or so.

2 Two engines: one for lift, one for thrust.   About CAD 70k.

Delicate icicle just after dripping a drop.  (or dropping a drip?)

3  Worth showing?  Printing for a kid's bedroom?

Interesting composition ...

4   Do the triangles etc engage you?   Or do you just feel that the photog should've rotated about 10º to the right and answered the question of where those arrows point?   Or to the LEFT?   

Glacier advancing (dripping?) down into the valley ...

5  Economy version of getting up into the Rockies or Alps.

Here I played with a pattern recognition experiment ...

6  A little sun and a little water bring these to life.

I increased brightness, contrast and saturation of blob on right to act as the eyes' starting point in this complex scene.  Did it work?  Any sense of 3D?

Then it started to rain a bit harder ....

7  Contrasting textures.   Hydrophobic lichen??

Needless to say these were all shot from the comfort of the cab of my truck. 

I don't have the Tullis true grit.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939
Like?

Great images Bob!

But I cannot imagine you planting that RED STOP SIGN  just for the sake of perking up a wintery scene.  Or maybe NY trains obey stop signs ... for what?  Wayward wildlife?   Photographers' crossing?

Bob Tullis wrote:

It was going to be crummy weather in the City or Upstate, we opted for upstate. On the way up, just before Phonecia, just a quick stop while Anna waited. . .

I just went back and looked at my simplistic images down the thread --- also taken on a dreary wintery day.  Maybe I should get off of my A$$, out of the truck, and try to make some real photographs ... when we have a bit of ground to walk on!

As ever, thanks for the inspirational images.

Tom

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,361Gear list
Like?

The first is very nice. Like the fog or low cloud on the lower mountain sides and the way you retained some detail in the cloud cover. Well exposed and processed. I am assuming that rail line isn't still in use as the rail bed looks a little over grown and some of the ties have seen better days.  However, the rails don't look rusty so ....?

Andrew

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,351Gear list
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

It was an E-M1/12-40 weekend, and it was good, for I got caught out in a misting rain with just the camera on my shoulder for a good hour.

My E-M1 50-200 was tested in a downpour this weekend, as well. I tried to get some rain shots. No keepers but I'll be smarter next time.

I was struck by the texture and brightness of the grass around the tracks on the first shot. When I saw it I had to check if you used the 12-40 (before reading your comment). When I saw 12mm, I assumed you had.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
Re: Hanoi, Vietnam
In reply to NZ Scott, 5 months ago

NZ Scott wrote:

I spent last week in Vietnam for the school holidays. This was my first major trip with the Panasonic 12-35, which I bought last month, and which I paired with my venerable E-P3.

The 12-35 really impressed me - apart from its propensity to offer vast tracts of purple flare around high-contrast edges. I spent quite a bit of time fixing it in Camera Raw.

Here are some shots from my first 24 hours in Hanoi. Nothing too great, but conditions were appalling:

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

Try getting one of these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/60731-REG/Tiffen_58HZE2A_58mm_Haze_2A_Filter.html

...should get rid of the purple flare...

Surprised the weather was so bad - a bit early for those storms I would have thought.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing terribly ambitious. Again.

I was rather impatient with the first tracks/river shot (developing could be better).

I think this is better developed/presented, but it's a different composition, Better, for not having those branches on the right where the river flows past that little island (a little distracting to look through them to see that feature), but the composition also loses the tracks/river relationship the first one conveys, and is just a bit tight. But this was the first of a few exposures, and the stop sign was the hook.

The stop sign I suspect is new. Never noticed it before, but back around Hurricane Sandy (maybe not from Sandy itself) the tracks were washed out around the bend. There's been activity on it for the repair. Not sure if the tour that rides this track, which I thought I saw were finally active again this past fall, goes past this point over the repair area just yet.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
Re: Hanoi, Vietnam - nice work, Scotty.
In reply to Hen3ry, 5 months ago

Hen3ry wrote:

As you say, the American war. With a bit of Australian thrown in.

... and a bit of Kiwi too!

Vietnamese call it the "American War" to distinguish it from the "French War" and "Japanese War", all of which occurred during living memory.

That purple flare sounds a bit nasty. I can induce some flare with the 12-35 on my G6 but Panny apparently suppresses the purple very successfully.

I'm thinking of making the GX7 my next purchase. Apart from the PF, I like the 12-35 a lot.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
A good suggestion
In reply to Abrak, 5 months ago

Abrak wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

I spent last week in Vietnam for the school holidays. This was my first major trip with the Panasonic 12-35, which I bought last month, and which I paired with my venerable E-P3.

The 12-35 really impressed me - apart from its propensity to offer vast tracts of purple flare around high-contrast edges. I spent quite a bit of time fixing it in Camera Raw.

Here are some shots from my first 24 hours in Hanoi. Nothing too great, but conditions were appalling:

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

Try getting one of these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/60731-REG/Tiffen_58HZE2A_58mm_Haze_2A_Filter.html

...should get rid of the purple flare...

A good suggestion, and it might even work, but ...

I've already tried a Hoya Pro1 UV filter which cuts out a fair bit of UV, and it didn't seem to work any better than my B+W MRC UV Nano filter, which according to Lenstip is not so good at cutting out UV.

Since I've already got two expensive UVs at 58mm, I'm reluctant to buy a third.

Surprised the weather was so bad - a bit early for those storms I would have thought.

Actually, I think it's a bit late for those storms. The Vietnamese are just coming out of their winter. Hanoi was surprisingly chilly in the evenings.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
Kitten and tree

First, the tree, testing the Pana 12-32 on the way home:

Pin Oak

And the kitten, with the Oly 40-150

Polly stalking her sister

Not much time this week for photos.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: Nothing terribly ambitious. Again.

Bob Tullis wrote:

I was rather impatient with the first tracks/river shot (developing could be better).

I think this is better developed/presented, but it's a different composition, Better, for not having those branches on the right where the river flows past that little island (a little distracting to look through them to see that feature), but the composition also loses the tracks/river relationship the first one conveys, and is just a bit tight. But this was the first of a few exposures, and the stop sign was the hook.

The stop sign I suspect is new. Never noticed it before, but back around Hurricane Sandy (maybe not from Sandy itself) the tracks were washed out around the bend. There's been activity on it for the repair. Not sure if the tour that rides this track, which I thought I saw were finally active again this past fall, goes past this point over the repair area just yet.

Actually I prefer the FIRST version.  To ME  (when viewed full size):

It integrates the highway, the railway, the lines  of the used timbers, the line of the hills, the "two" rivers, the negligee of the right hand screening,  the two big evergreens in the mid-distance,  all to get my eyes looking upstream, to the point of enjoying the layering of the hills because of the cloud banks.

The second doesn't engage me nearly as much even though the Stop Sign is a grabber, AND unfortunately an ANCHOR to the movement of MY eyes.  It really is a STOP SIGN, discouraging a further exploration of the scene.

In the earlier version that stop sign is subtle, an opportunity for each viewer to experience a little Aha!  In my case I didn't see it until I made a second foray into the scene, following those nicely shined tracks.

I realize that I am a mere egg when it  comes to art, so this is a reaction from the great unwashed.

I learn a lot by really looking hard at good art, by trying to identify why I like it.  And, when given a comparison, trying to determine why my gut prefers one over the other.  So the above musings will probably be more to my benefit then yours!!

Thanks for posting the two of 'em.

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads