I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Rossuziers
Forum ProPosts: 12,777Gear list
Like?
I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:
7 months ago

And ordered: This somewhat middle of the road system, in hopes of getting another better part of 10 years of relatively trouble free service that my ole Sony Vaio has given (If anyone knows of a better off-the-shelf deal or discount code etc. I'm listening).

I was planning to ride the ole XP beast out till things got difficult but the nic took a crap & one of the DVD's won't even open while the other DVD took several attempts before it would even read a DVD/CD. Plus every so often, when I'm editing my JPG's, the machine just reboots for no apparent reason.. So I figure better to spend a little more now & get a whole fresh system rather than replace the domino's as they fall in an old box, especially since much of any newer software I might eventually want probably won't run in XP. Not that I'm a software hoarder...

I'm also not quite ready to spend a lot of time trying to acclimate to what seems to be quite a huge difference in Win8 as opposed to the relatively minor difference in Win7 compared to XP & choose to go with Win7 before it completely disappears...

For the most part I just surf & get by editing my pics (JPG) in FastStone mostly or sometimes PSE7 & PSE7 is the vehicle by which my pics are transferred to my machine...

My main reason for posting this is to ask if the relatively long-in-the-tooth PSE7 will still work in Win7 on an i5? Or do I have to step up to the newer version of PSE that makes use of the quad-core & considerably more memory I'll soon have?

Most all of my current software is freeware that I assume I either won't miss should it not be compatible or has already been updated to be so.. I just am not lookin' forward to having to update PSE because I really only use it for transferring.. I've gotten used to it's default file-naming format which I suppose I could change in FastStone or Piasa if their default file-naming isn't the same but I'm not even up for that along with the OS change coming...

TIA.

-- hide signature --

> > */The Amateur Formerly Known as/* '*UZ'pShoot'ERS*' /'Happy Shootin'! Comments, Critique, Ridicule, Limericks, Jokes, Hi-jackings, EnthUZIastically, Encouraged... I Insist! */rrawzz'at'gmail'dot'com/* * http://www.pbase.com/rrawzz *
> */Another vote for an authentic & true to the core FZ50 upgrade/

Rossuziers's gear list:Rossuziers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,548
Like?
Re: I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:
In reply to Rossuziers, 7 months ago

Rossuziers wrote:  My main reason for posting this is to ask if the relatively long-in-the-tooth PSE7 will still work in Win7 on an i5? Or do I have to step up to the newer version of PSE that makes use of the quad-core & considerably more memory I'll soon have?

By choice (as it has all I require) I still use PS7 and it works fine on my Win7 Ultimate 64bit desktop.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

Rossuziers wrote:

For the most part I just surf & get by editing my pics (JPG) in FastStone mostly or sometimes PSE7 & PSE7 is the vehicle by which my pics are transferred to my machine...

My main reason for posting this is to ask if the relatively long-in-the-tooth PSE7 will still work in Win7 on an i5? Or do I have to step up to the newer version of PSE that makes use of the quad-core & considerably more memory I'll soon have?

I have one laptop running PSE9 on Win7 and it seems to work fine. It came bundled with the machine. My guess would be that PSE7 will work. I currently run PSE11 on Windows 8.1 x64. The Win7 machine is x64 as well.

That said, I would suggest it may be a worthwhile investment to upgrade, or most times it is cheaper to just buy a new version of PSE - $50 on sale at Amazon. I find the Adobe Camera RAW part of PSE is the most powerful tool for doing basic editing of both RAW and JPEG files. If you have not tried it, I would suggest you do. In Editor just go to File, Open As, and then select the file you want to edit, and click on the long string of RAW file types instead of JPEG. When you do that it will open in Adobe Camera RAW. That should work in PSE7. However, over the years Adobe has upgraded the process it uses to edit files with ACR. I believe your PSE7 has the oldest 2003 Process. It was then updated to the 2010 Process, and currently is the 2012 Process in Elements 11 and later.

I find adjusting the white balance, exposure, contrast, etc very simple and powerful. The results in my view are much better than using the controls in the Editor. I have only used the latest 2012 version though. If you are interested, there are many free youtube videos on how to use the controls. ACR is the best kept secret of Photoshop Elements.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,097
Like?
In reply to Zone8, 7 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

Rossuziers wrote: My main reason for posting this is to ask if the relatively long-in-the-tooth PSE7 will still work in Win7 on an i5? Or do I have to step up to the newer version of PSE that makes use of the quad-core & considerably more memory I'll soon have?

By choice (as it has all I require) I still use PS7 and it works fine on my Win7 Ultimate 64bit desktop.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

I am a rather new user (more of an installer) of Windows 7 Pro and also have (and use) many Freeware programs as well as many Licensed Titles.  So far, there are only two programs that either will not install or that give a "stern" warning to not try to use with Windows 7.  Norton Ghost 2003 that I have used for around 10 years with no issues on XP Pro, the other (some Roxio Title) is also a Licensed program (filed the cd so don't remember the exact name) that I haven't used as a needed program since I have other Titles that are better.

I have not fully tested all installed programs but so far (with the help of Forum Members) most of the transition to use Win7 is going well.  The Titles that I have run as a minor test work without issue -- except a couple that (so far) I have not determined exactly how to use -- such as an Un-Locker program.  I installed MANY programs yesterday and have not tested any of them.  Photoshop 7 (which I prefer to use) works well.  I have an old version 5 of Photoshop Elements installed so to be able to assist selected Family Members that works ok.

I continue to have my normal "Fully Working" XP Pro setup and have installed Win 7 on a new Hard Drive and this allows me the needed Versatility of both XP Pro and Win7 Pro.

I have had more "confusion" with what is indicated as "Security" than any other single item since I am the only user of my Computers, I don't want to go through an extended procedure every time I want to access Drives, Folders, and Files, etc.  This is now all resolved as far as I can determine.

The other issue is with downloading titles seem that so many are (so nice) to also include Malware, Adware, changes to installed items, etc....  This I am having a hard time of accepting, however; this logically has no bearing on installing to use Win7 except the need to download several items, etc.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,951Gear list
Like?
Assuming your are committed to new hardware & OS. . .

. . . don't toss that old Vaio yet.

First it seems by your problems it is not that the hardware or OS is bad but there may be a lot of stuff on the system that may be causing the problems (malware?).

I recently resurrected an old laptop by doing a clean reinstall of Win XpPro using the original Xp install disks. All the old upgrades to Xp are still available online through MS. It took a couple of hours of downloads and upgrades to get the laptop up to the latest Xp status. At this point it runs faster than before and with no problems.

There are malware prevention companies starting to take the lead to provide protection to those of us still running an Xp OS. This will continue and will provide better AV protection than what was available from Xp itself. Of course, one should still be diligent to observe the basic surfing and email precautions. I have no intentions of upgrading a couple of my computers to Win 7 or 8 or even Linux. I should mention that I have computers that I use running Win 8.1 Pro (with the Classic Shell), Win 7 Ultimate and Linux Mint.

For that old Vaio you can reinstall the Xp OS and selected programs that you use or even install Linux Mint which is much like a Windows GUI and installs quite easily including networking. With Linux Mint you can use Wine and some of your old MS programs.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Rossuziers
Like?
Thank Youze All &
In reply to Rossuziers, 6 months ago

I appreciate it... I got something useful out of all of your answers..

-- hide signature --

> > */The Amateur Formerly Known as/* '*UZ'pShoot'ERS*' /'Happy Shootin'! Comments, Critique, Ridicule, Limericks, Jokes, Hi-jackings, EnthUZIastically, Encouraged... I Insist! */rrawzz'at'gmail'dot'com/* * http://www.pbase.com/rrawzz *

Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949
Like?
PSE7 runs fine on Win7

I have my PSE7 install disk just in case I need to pull up a legacy PSD file on a machine that's doesn't have Adobe and otherwise cant read the file.

PSE7 works fine om Win7, albeit with some annoying and minor profile glitches that don't want to save settings. For working with files it's fine. The lack of RAW support though will eventually drive you nuts. Photoshop elements is worth the investment, and/or the Corel Paintshop suite.

Security on Win7 is just like Windows XP in that stupid surfing habits will trump any AV scanner. Don't surf with admin rights and you don't have much to worry about. Most XP users have to run FireFox or Chrome anyways because XP can't be upgraded beyond IE 8.

Norton Ghost 2003 is only useful if you want to do IP multicasts from a floppy. Win7 backup actually works, and there's freeware versions of programs like Macrium that are light years superior.

The biggest improvement is you got a new machine. As I've been telling the media idiots pushing people to 'upgrade' XP there is no "upgrade" for older hardware. An XP era PC or laptop is typically junk anyways and running on borrowed time. You can always load XP inside of Virtual Box for legacy programs.

Vernon D Rainwater
Like?
Re: PSE7 runs fine on Win7
In reply to Scott Eaton, 6 months ago

Scott Eaton wrote:

I have my PSE7 install disk just in case I need to pull up a legacy PSD file on a machine that's doesn't have Adobe and otherwise cant read the file.

PSE7 works fine om Win7, albeit with some annoying and minor profile glitches that don't want to save settings. For working with files it's fine. The lack of RAW support though will eventually drive you nuts. Photoshop elements is worth the investment, and/or the Corel Paintshop suite.

Security on Win7 is just like Windows XP in that stupid surfing habits will trump any AV scanner. Don't surf with admin rights and you don't have much to worry about. Most XP users have to run FireFox or Chrome anyways because XP can't be upgraded beyond IE 8.

Norton Ghost 2003 is only useful if you want to do IP multicasts from a floppy. Win7 backup actually works, and there's freeware versions of programs like Macrium that are light years superior.

The biggest improvement is you got a new machine. As I've been telling the media idiots pushing people to 'upgrade' XP there is no "upgrade" for older hardware. An XP era PC or laptop is typically junk anyways and running on borrowed time. You can always load XP inside of Virtual Box for legacy programs.

I have tested Macrium for both Backup and Restore and it appears to work well for both so I expect that is what I will be using with the Win7 Pro system.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Vernon D Rainwater
Like?
Question for Scott

Scott Eaton wrote:

Please advise what you are referring to in your above comments: "if you want to do IP multicasts from a floppy".  I assume you are referring to Image Backup and Restore but wanted to be certain before continuing my tests.

As already mentioned, I plan to use Macrium with the Win7 Pro 64 bit machine and I have completed two different Backup to Image file plus I have restored and tested both and all was fine.  However, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity by making a Win7 System backup (to image file) using the 1.44 Ghost 2003 Floopy Boot Disk -- then try to restore the image file to a different Hard Drive also using the Floppy.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?

Scott Eaton wrote:

I just put 7 on a Dell Optiplex that was made in 2004. Works fine. Seems kind of a waste to me, but whatever.

At home I run Photoshop 6.0 under Windows 7 on my wife's PC. I think PS 6.0 came out in 2000. If my memory is correct about that it means it pre-dates XP.

skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?

Rossuziers wrote:

Most all of my current software is freeware that I assume I either won't miss should it not be compatible or has already been updated to be so.. I just am not lookin' forward to having to update PSE because I really only use it for transferring.. I've gotten used to it's default file-naming format which I suppose I could change in FastStone or Piasa if their default file-naming isn't the same but I'm not even up for that along with the OS change coming...

When I upgraded from WinXP to Win7, all of my old XP software worked fine in Win7. Then I upgraded my laptop from Vista to Win8 and installed the Classic Shell, all of the old software worked fine in Win8 also. This includes MS Office 2000, Photoshop 7 and the first version of Adobe Audition.

The things that probably won't work with Win7 and Win8 are hardware drivers that were not updated from XP to Win7/8. So old printers, scanners, etc will probably not work with Win7/8. Mine didn't so I bought a new printer and new scanner when I upgraded to Win7.

BTW, my Win7 tower is running an i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM.

The PC you ordered comes with Win7 but for other lurkers who might be deciding between getting a PC with Win7 or Win8, here's my take on that:

Because the "development" version of Win8 contained the Win7 desktop with the start icon and taskbar (which Microsoft foolishly removed for the release version of Win8), and since Win8 runs everything I have that works in Win7, I'm very much convinced that Win8 is actually Win7 with tighter code for more speed.

After using Win7 and Win8, I think Win8 (with the Classic Shell to make it work like Win7!!!) is better than Win7. It works just like Win7, only faster. All software (old and new) that works with Win7 works with Win8 for me and for two of my friends that I setup Win8 PCs for (All with the Classic Shell). I would NOT NOT NOT have installed Win8 in my laptop nor recommended new PCs with Win8 for my two friends if the Classic Shell (or similar 3rd party software) did not exist. My two friends and I REALLY don't like the Win8 "Metro" user interface.

Sky

Rossuziers
Like?
A few Q's to all

Scott Eaton wrote:

I don't do RAW & prolly never will... PhotoShop Elements 7 is what I have & the few times I ever did delve into RAW with it, whatever version of ACR I have opened up the file fine...

I may be back to discuss that... I believe admin rights might be where I get fuzzy... Doesn't one need those to install anything? I think I may have to get used to poppin' in & out of administrator rights.. I hope I don't need to be administrator to simply download anything...

Pardon my ignorance but maybe this is a good time to ask.

Am I correct in assuming that once I get the new machines 1tb Hdd completely updated from MSUpdate initially out-of-the-box:

Can I make an image of the HDD on a fresh HDD so if the original HDD fries, I can just swap out the pristine Imaged drive for the fried one & start anew?

I always meant to try that with my current setup but never got around to it nor was I ever in a virtually pristine condition with the Vaio..

No doubt I'll prolly make recovery disks right-out-the-box too... Since I'm pretty sure Dell doesn't supply a win7 hard-copy in-the-box.

My current Sony box came with a single 500gig Hdd installed & 3 open Hdd bays replete with 3 SATA connectors & 3 power connectors. I then added another 500gig & a 1tb gig just for storage.. I plan on storing nothing on the OS/programs system drive & adding a strictly storage HDD to the single open bay the new box will have...

I'd like to instal the 1tb currently in the Sony to the new machine for storage & image the new machines Hdd to one of the remaining 500gig drives for system/OS & program backup & then use the remaining 500gig externally..

Although, come to think of it... I might just want to image the new machines pristine 1tb Hdd to one of my 500gig drives & throw that in as the initial new OS/Programs system drive & use my 2nd 500gig as the backup OS/Programs system drive & then use the two 1tb drives as storage both internally & as storage backup externally...

1tb seems a waste for the OS/Programs system drive when I'm pretty sure there will be nowhere near 500gigs worth of programs & system occupying that space

Yes, agreed, like I said, both of my current DVD drive/writer have issues & my NIC is fried, plus the machine sometimes fires up & runs noisier than at other times when it fires up & runs silent. I believe it might just be a fan issue but don't know for sure & I can't seem to find my recovery disks although I know they're around somewhere... I'd hate to replace the DVD's & NIC & then the old MoBo or P/S or RAM succumb etc... The demise of XP is just the straw-that-broke-the-camels'-back..

-- hide signature --

Rossuziers
Like?
In reply to BobSC, 6 months ago

BobSC wrote:

Scott Eaton wrote:

I just put 7 on a Dell Optiplex that was made in 2004. Works fine. Seems kind of a waste to me, but whatever.

Your Optiplex probably doesn't have several hardware issues that my Sony does.. Both DVD drive/writer & NIC have issues or are shot and there also may be internal fan issues.. By the time I replace those I'm close to half-way to a new machine with good chances that other more serious breakdowns might happen.

At home I run Photoshop 6.0 under Windows 7 on my wife's PC. I think PS 6.0 came out in 2000. If my memory is correct about that it means it pre-dates XP.

Thanks, that makes me confident I won't need to worry bout software...

-- hide signature --

Rossuziers
Like?
In reply to skyglider, 6 months ago

skyglider wrote:

Rossuziers wrote:

When I upgraded from WinXP to Win7, all of my old XP software worked fine in Win7. Then I upgraded my laptop from Vista to Win8 and installed the Classic Shell, all of the old software worked fine in Win8 also. This includes MS Office 2000, Photoshop 7 and the first version of Adobe Audition.

The things that probably won't work with Win7 and Win8 are hardware drivers that were not updated from XP to Win7/8. So old printers, scanners, etc will probably not work with Win7/8. Mine didn't so I bought a new printer and new scanner when I upgraded to Win7.

BTW, my Win7 tower is running an i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM.

The PC you ordered comes with Win7 but for other lurkers who might be deciding between getting a PC with Win7 or Win8, here's my take on that:

Because the "development" version of Win8 contained the Win7 desktop with the start icon and taskbar (which Microsoft foolishly removed for the release version of Win8), and since Win8 runs everything I have that works in Win7, I'm very much convinced that Win8 is actually Win7 with tighter code for more speed.

After using Win7 and Win8, I think Win8 (with the Classic Shell to make it work like Win7!!!) is better than Win7. It works just like Win7, only faster. All software (old and new) that works with Win7 works with Win8 for me and for two of my friends that I setup Win8 PCs for (All with the Classic Shell). I would NOT NOT NOT have installed Win8 in my laptop nor recommended new PCs with Win8 for my two friends if the Classic Shell (or similar 3rd party software) did not exist. My two friends and I REALLY don't like the Win8 "Metro" user interface.

Sky

All really good to know. Thanks...

With the exception of popping in & out of Administrator more than I currently do, I'm thinkin' Win7 will be easier for me & I'm not too worried about speed since I think there will already be an increase from what I'm accustomed to...

-- hide signature --

skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?

Rossuziers wrote:

With the exception of popping in & out of Administrator more than I currently do, I'm thinkin' Win7 will be easier for me & I'm not too worried about speed since I think there will already be an increase from what I'm accustomed to...

Coming from (probably a Pentium 4) running XP, you will love Windows 7 64 bits running on an i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM. Everything will run faster and install so much easier without any concerns for backward compatibility with WinXP. BTW, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I'm also running Win7 "64bits" in my tower PC and it's backwards compatible with all of my old software.

Saw in another post where you asked whether you should get a backup HDD and "clone" your Win7 system to it in case your system gets hosed. If you absolutely need to come back up asap like for a business, then yes it would be a good idea. But even then you would need to keep cloning your system to keep that backup current. And that will be only one backup per HDD.

If you're a home user, then it's totally unnecessary to keep "cloning" your system to a backup HDD in my opinion. Just do regular "full" compressed backups to a HDD. This way you can store multiple backups to one HDD. It doesn't take too long to restore a full backup to a new HDD and it will work exactly as it did when the backup was made.

If you want super fast boot up and loading of PSE7 and other programs, I recommend buying a 120 GB SSD (I bought a Samsung 120GB EVO SSD) and storing only the Win7 system and installed programs on it. Use the 1TB that comes with your i5 system to store data only. Then do two separate backups. One of the SSD and one of the data HDD. This way you can do frequent backups of your data only without the system and programs. Do backups of your SSD only when you install enough new software that it would be a pain to have to install them again, or when there have been enough Win7 updates to make it a pain to install them again. .... I name my backups as "140401 System Full.xxx" or "140401 Data Full.xxx" where xxx is the suffix used by your particular backup program.  140401 is the YearMonthDay.  Keep at least the last 2 system backups and the last 2 data backups at all times at the minimum.

If you want/need Dell's tech support during the warranty period, then don't do the SSD thing as Dell tech support may not help you. Dell's tech support will ask your permission to control your PC remotely and may need to get data from their recovery partition (which is normally the last partition on the HDD).

Sky

Rossuziers
Like?

skyglider wrote:

Rossuziers wrote:

Coming from (probably a Pentium 4) running XP, you will love Windows 7 64 bits running on an i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM. Everything will run faster and install so much easier without any concerns for backward compatibility with WinXP. BTW, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I'm also running Win7 "64bits" in my tower PC and it's backwards compatible with all of my old software.

Actually the machine I'm on now is a Pentium D @ 3.00Ghz (2 cpu) runnin' XPmce sp3 w/4gig Ram..

I'd imagine & hope I'll notice more of a speed gain steppin' up to the new Dell that's commin' than what I got going to the Sony from the Win2k machine I had previously...

Saw in another post where you asked whether you should get a backup HDD and "clone" your Win7 system to it in case your system gets hosed. If you absolutely need to come back up asap like for a business, then yes it would be a good idea. But even then you would need to keep cloning your system to keep that backup current. And that will be only one backup per HDD.

If you're a home user, then it's totally unnecessary to keep "cloning" your system to a backup HDD in my opinion. Just do regular "full" compressed backups to a HDD. This way you can store multiple backups to one HDD. It doesn't take too long to restore a full backup to a new HDD and it will work exactly as it did when the backup was made.

I'm a bit foggy about backups in general..

I'm a home user.. Mostly surfin', minor JPG editing & while I have a lot of pics stored, I don't shoot nearly as much as I once did...

I only want to Clone my new pristine HDD (after initial driver & MSupdate & possibly a few extra program installations along with possible bloat-ware removals) as an emergency measure to be able to start anew, with a quick swap-out should the original HDD break down physically to where it's unrecoverable & also only because I have an extra HDD handy that won't be doin' anything.. I figure anything other than that should be covered by a System Restore..

I'll figure something else out for file storage backup...

If you want super fast boot up and loading of PSE7 and other programs, I recommend buying a 120 GB SSD (I bought a Samsung 120GB EVO SSD) and storing only the Win7 system and installed programs on it. Use the 1TB that comes with your i5 system to store data only. Then do two separate backups. One of the SSD and one of the data HDD. This way you can do frequent backups of your data only without the system and programs. Do backups of your SSD only when you install enough new software that it would be a pain to have to install them again, or when there have been enough Win7 updates to make it a pain to install them again. .... I name my backups as "140401 System Full.xxx" or "140401 Data Full.xxx" where xxx is the suffix used by your particular backup program. 140401 is the YearMonthDay. Keep at least the last 2 system backups and the last 2 data backups at all times at the minimum.

If you want/need Dell's tech support during the warranty period, then don't do the SSD thing as Dell tech support may not help you. Dell's tech support will ask your permission to control your PC remotely and may need to get data from their recovery partition (which is normally the last partition on the HDD).

Sky

I figured the SSD might be an option somewhere down the line after the warranty period is over & then maybe use my proposed cloned HDD to clone to the SSD instead of using the cloned HDD.. I'll deal with having to update it from there with whatever MSupdates transpire over that time.. I don't think there will be all that many program additions to worry about..

I'll have to do some extensive homework to clear the general fog I'm in related to general file backup... Just the little bit you've brought up above about it is lost on me... I'm way more in the dark about such things than can be cleared up here but I appreciate your effort..

I'll also be making recovery disk right out of the box as well just to have & probably misplace like I've done with my current setup recovery disks...

Thanks much for your input...

-- hide signature --

BobSC
Like?

Rossuziers wrote:

BobSC wrote:

Scott Eaton wrote:

Your Optiplex probably doesn't have several hardware issues that my Sony does.. Both DVD drive/writer & NIC have issues or are shot and there also may be internal fan issues.. By the time I replace those I'm close to half-way to a new machine with good chances that other more serious breakdowns might happen.

In your specific case it probably makes sense to get a new machine. But Scott seemed to be making a general argument that there were some sort of problems putting 7 on old hardware. It actually seems to work just fine on a lot of old hardware (assuming functioning hardware). For anyone who is considering it, microsoft has an update adviser that will scan your hardware for compatibility.

Thanks, that makes me confident I won't need to worry bout software...

Don't go there too fast though There are actually a lot of older programs that have installers that won't run. Just doesn't seem to be a problem with Adobe software. With some programs you can right-click them and run them in compatibility mode. 16-bit programs won't run no matter what you do though, and that's the problem with some of the installers. But then again, with some programs the only thing the installer really does is copy files, so some ancient-ware can be run by just finding the exe program and running it. Usually you can find out easy enough by googling the name of the program and "windows  7 64 bit". You'll either find a bunch of forum posts somewhere telling you it can't be done, or else telling you how to do it.

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: A few Q's to all

Rossuziers wrote:

I don't do RAW & prolly never will... PhotoShop Elements 7 is what I have & the few times I ever did delve into RAW with it, whatever version of ACR I have opened up the file fine...

Keep in mind that ACR is not just for RAW files. ACR has the very best tools in Elements to adjust JPEG's too. If you are not using ACR you are missing out on the real power of Elements.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
BobSC
Like?

skyglider wrote:

My HP laserjet 1000 seems to have no 64 bit drivers. I spent a bit of time researching and found a lead on some other drivers that were supposed to make it go, but alas, no luck.

The scanner is different though. Here's what I found. It's a Microtek scanner. They have 64-bit drivers. But the scanner doesn't show up as a TWAIN device. But if I launch the 32 bit Photoshop (CS installs both 32 and 64 bit versions) then it works just like before.

I really don't understand what's going on there, but I just need to remember to launch the 32 bit PS when I want to scan.

BobSC
Like?
Re: A few Q's to all

Rossuziers wrote:

Can I make an image of the HDD on a fresh HDD so if the original HDD fries, I can just swap out the pristine Imaged drive for the fried one & start anew?

You /can/ do that, but what I would do is first hook it to the internet and do all the Microsoft updates. Then install all your "gotta have" software and your device drivers. Then clone the drive. Windows 7 currently takes about 1 Gb of patches and updates.

You could alternately image the drive, which would allow you to make images "out of the box", updated, and configured. All of those images would probably fit on any drive you could buy.

The only issue with this "system" is that supposedly drives can go bad sitting on the shelf. I've never experienced this myself, but I've read about it here, so who knows.

Oh, and my Dells have all come with factory restore discs. One for the OS, one for the drivers, and one or more for any software you bought.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads