Which lens to purchase for Sony A65?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
jaynbay112
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
9 months ago

I'm snooping around for Cameras and the A65 seems like a strong candidate. I was wondering what lenses to purchase if I were to buy the A65. I would like any suggestions all focal lengths, whatever. (However I do like street photog). Am i better off with a minolta? All recommendations are welcome!

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Which lens to purchase for Sony A65?
In reply to jaynbay112, 9 months ago

There are many great lenses so your question is a bit too wide open. There are some used lenses under $100 that are optically very very good, there are new/ used lenses in the $1500-$3000 range that are stellar.

I will start with the Sony 16-50 as an amazing "kit" lens. Not cheap, but it's an incredible walk around lens for aps-c bodies. It's so good, it's almost a bargain at $400-$500 used.

My absolute favorite bargain lens is a Minolta 35-105, original version only. Can find it for $50-$100. Odd duck of focal length on aps-c, and a weirdly long minimum focus distance, but great colors, contrast and sharpness, rivaling much more expensive lenses. It's a great portrait lens on aps-c.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/havoc315

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,574Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, 9 months ago

havoc315 wrote:

There are many great lenses so your question is a bit too wide open. There are some used lenses under $100 that are optically very very good, there are new/ used lenses in the $1500-$3000 range that are stellar.

I will start with the Sony 16-50 as an amazing "kit" lens. Not cheap, but it's an incredible walk around lens for aps-c bodies. It's so good, it's almost a bargain at $400-$500 used.

My absolute favorite bargain lens is a Minolta 35-105, original version only. Can find it for $50-$100. Odd duck of focal length on aps-c, and a weirdly long minimum focus distance, but great colors, contrast and sharpness, rivaling much more expensive lenses. It's a great portrait lens on aps-c.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/havoc315

I have the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 "C"   great lens for under $500..

but I will at some point this year probably upgrade to the 16-50 F2.8

It comparable f stops it is sharper, and it supports DMF / Focus Peaking when set to AFA which the Sigma does not.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?

I'm snooping around for Cameras and the A65 seems like a strong candidate. I was wondering what lenses to purchase if I were to buy the A65. I would like any suggestions all focal lengths, whatever. (However I do like street photog). Am i better off with a minolta? All recommendations are welcome!

I have 3 lenes for my A57 after much searching and trying. I use the SAL50F18, SAL18135 and Tamron 70mm to 300mm USD SP.

I've tried 5 different lenses till I settled on that combo. The prime is for the kids and messing around with (amazing lens for the price), 18-135mm is my walk around lens and is amazing. Used in all sorts of environments. It had the right focal range for a recent trip to Rome and was able to use it everywhere.

The 70 300mm USD is a recent update for me from the Di LD version.

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,142Gear list
Like?

A65 + DT 16-50 are peas and carrots.

Both are great values, even at their asking price. Both excellent performers. Wonderfully competent.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,324Gear list
Like?
You didn't mention budget...

even so, it shouldn't send you broke so here's the cheapies..

Walkaround - Minolta 24-85 nice colours, sharpish and MFD is reasonable unlike a lot of Minolta zooms.
Runner up, Tammy 17-50 often ignored, but an excellent alternative to pricey Sony zooms.

Prime - Sony DT35 simply unbeatable at the $200 price. Sharp, good colours, tiny MFD, 1.8 too
Runner Up - A Minolta 24mm or a 20mm if you can stretch to it.
Note: the Minolta 50's are tempting at the price, but 35 is more useful any day in the real world.

Tele - The Tammy 70-300 is probably the best all rounder
Runners Up - Sony 55-300 good bang for buck,
Beercan can give stunning results but it's picky about sun direction and heavy,
best thought of as an enthusiast lens for later down the track.

Fun - The Samyang 8mm although (personally) I might have been happier with the 14mm.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
dsquirrel
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: You didn't mention budget...
In reply to Ron Poelman, 9 months ago

DT35mm f1.8 for sure!

The Sony 16-50 is good, but the 35mm prime is awesome! Buy the 35mm f1.8 and a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 and go from there. You should be able to buy those two for the cost of the Sony 16-50 f2.8, and spend any additional money you have budgeted on a half decent polariser.

For the wide angle Samyangs are excellent, but either of the Sigma 10-20mms are super fun and have automatic exposure. I've had good success with the f3.5 version.

-- hide signature --

If you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around. They say ‘well if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain,’ but where is the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people and they get into office and screw everything up, well, you are responsible for everything they’ve done. You’ve caused the problem, you voted them in, you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain as loud as I want about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with. -George Carlin

dsquirrel's gear list:dsquirrel's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
jaynbay112
Like?
In reply to havoc315, 9 months ago

Alright well thanks a lot! Can anyone tell me best prime for people? The Minolta 50mm f 1.7 look tempting, and the beercan does too? If I where to have the 18-55 kit, and the two previously listed would I be good to go as an hobbyist?

AlphaTikal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,541Gear list
Like?

I assume you buy all lenses brand new. I suggrst you to buy the cheap kit Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. It is basic lens, but it does the job ok and is very cheap in bundle with camera. From that position you can find out what you need and head for next lens. Here are two lists, which I recommend for the beginning (assuming you have the kit lens):

Cheap, but brand new:
- Sony 30mm f/2.8 Macro
- Sony 35mm f/1.8
- Sony 50mm f/1.8
- Sony 85mm f/2.8
- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
- Sony 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6

Super cheap, but old and used:
- Minolta 50mm f/1.7
- Minolta 35-70mm f/4.0
- Minolta 100-200mm f/4.5

Bettet and not that cheap, but good value:
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
- Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 USD Macro
- Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USD

This is in no way a comprehensive list. Just some ideas to get something to start with. Hope this helps you.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
dsquirrel
Like?
In reply to AlphaTikal, 9 months ago

If you like photography, don't waste your money on the kit lens. Either you'll kind of like it and use it until you buy something new, at which point you'll wish you never bought it and used it for all those pictures you took, or you just won't like it.

If you want a decent all in one, the Tamron 18-270 f3.5-6.3 is a good choice, though not even close to as sharp as the DT35mm f1.8

I purchased a DT35mm f1.8 a few weeks ago, and am suffering from the 'I wish I had taken all those other pictures with this lens' syndrome. ...I guess I'll just have to go back to the Yukon!

-- hide signature --

If you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around. They say ‘well if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain,’ but where is the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people and they get into office and screw everything up, well, you are responsible for everything they’ve done. You’ve caused the problem, you voted them in, you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain as loud as I want about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with. -George Carlin

Sony SLT-A65 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
AlphaTikal
Like?
In reply to dsquirrel, 9 months ago

I am not with you sorry. The kit lens is better than most say. That is my experience. And it gets corrected for jpegs incamera too. Just not that bright like f/2.8, but it is cheap and ok. It covers a good starter range and can be used for landscape if using f/8 in example. Or for close ups, which isnt that bad. Percect for beginners not knowing what they need. Especially if money comes into play too.

The kit lens is not bad. There maybe some bad copies, thata true.
--

Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
dsquirrel
Like?
In reply to AlphaTikal, 9 months ago

The kit lens may not qualify as terrible, but the 35mm f1.8 is far superior for not much more money. Should you decide to sell it, it will sell quite easily. The 35mm f1.8 at f8 will still be far better than the zoom at 35mm at f8.

Unless the kit lens is somehow given to you, I am suggesting that it is a waste of time/money buying it. For not much more than the DT35mm f1.8 you can get a used Sigma 17-50 f2.8, and for slightly more than that a used Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

The first thing just about everyone does with a kit lens like that is stop using it.

-- hide signature --

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 at under $300 and easy to find through Ebay, BH, Ado, KEH, etc.

This will produce very sharp images, and allow good flash-less indoor photography. It's sharp across the frame and the bokeh is decent.

For those tele/birding moments, get the Sony 55-300 at just over $200 used. It's the sharpest budget telezoom available.

Avoid super zooms, they're just not that good and they're called vacation lenses for a reason.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?

For some great lens at bargain prices look at the Konica lens on e-bay. Read up on Konica. A most overlooked lens. They are manual focus and need a cheap adapter. I purchased a NEX-7 just to use with these lens of which I have several. Here is a recent post to dp shot with a 200mm f/3.5 Konica lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53405982

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
jaynbay112
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 9 months ago

Ok I guess I wasn't clear but I really appreciate the help! I want the cheapest as possible but still decent. I don't mind old Minoltas and stuff, I'm talking like Beercan, Mini beer can and so on. Also the 50mm f1,7? Can anyone tell me about there experience with Minolta lenses on non film cameras, good , bad, witch ones?

I would like AF...

Hows the sony 50mm F.18?

AlphaTikal
Like?
In reply to dsquirrel, 9 months ago

At f/8.0 there is really not much difference. The kit lens provide even 18mm. They have both its strenght. Everyone have to find the answer for yourself. Saying "far superior" is not right. To see yhe difference (that little one) at f/8.0, you have to work with tripod and very carefully.

Just my two cents.
--

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

jaynbay112 wrote:

Ok I guess I wasn't clear but I really appreciate the help! I want the cheapest as possible but still decent. I don't mind old Minoltas and stuff, I'm talking like Beercan, Mini beer can and so on. Also the 50mm f1,7? Can anyone tell me about there experience with Minolta lenses on non film cameras, good , bad, witch ones?

I would like AF...

Hows the sony 50mm F.18?

I don't really like the 50mm primes on a crop camera,  because it's too far zoomed in. I much prefer the 35mm F/1.8 prime. It is sharper and better than the 50mm Minolta 1.7 one. The Min can be found for around $80, and the 35mm one can be found for around $180, but not spending the money on the Minolta means you *might* one day get that 35mm one. For portraits, you can use the Tamron one if you're getting that one.

Having the 17-50 brings a great deal of joy to your photography hobby. Sharper, and nicer, more vibrant.

I'd not gather too many "cheap" Minolta ones. Not spending the money on them, means freeing up funds for the lenses that really are very good.

My ideal combination is that 17-50, 55-300, and 35/1.8. That's about 275+225+175=$675. That's a lot of money, but you wouldn't be lens-hopping looking for better stuff. There just isn't a step up from it really (on a budget). You should look at what people spend on E-mount lenses for those NEX type cameras, good grief it's absurd! One single lens is like $600...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
21364guy
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?

As others have said, the 16-50 DT f/2.8 SSM is a great lens. In terms of good value lenses I also recommend the SAL-35 f/1.8 and the SAL-55300 DT. Finally my favorite ultrazoom is the SAL-18250.

21364guy's gear list:21364guy's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +7 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859Gear list
Like?

"Am i better off with a minolta"

The only advantage of the old minolta lenses is price.

Newer designs tend to be lighter than the older ones, with same performance or better.

I use mostly Sony 18135 and Sony 16-50 f/2.8.  Very good lenses.  Fast focusing and good image quality.

Avoid the Sony 18-250 DT.   In a recent review of telezooms across many brands, the German magazine Fototest tested 15 superzooms and the Sony 18-250 was the lowest scoring lens out of all 15.  (August 2012)  It simply is an aging design that needs updating.  It was the only lens in the group to score as "satisfactory" in image quality instead of "good" or "very good"

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"Am i better off with a minolta"

The only advantage of the old minolta lenses is price.

Newer designs tend to be lighter than the older ones, with same performance or better.

I use mostly Sony 18135 and Sony 16-50 f/2.8. Very good lenses. Fast focusing and good image quality.

This is very true. I've tried a few Minolta lens and I have stuck with the more modern designs. They are heavy (as they are full frame) and generally built like tanks. However, when you're walking around with them all day it gets a little much.

I also found the Minolta lens focal ranges didn't work so well for me as they were full frame sized and not crop sized.

However, the 28-85mm one that I kept for the longest did produce some lovely bokeh with a real dreaminess to it.

In reality the FL was all wrong for day to day and I couldn't get wide enough.

The 18-135 on the other hand was all I had mounted when I went the Vatican museum and it was great - even in really low light:

30mm, 1/40th, F4, ISO3200 very very low light to protect the tapestries.

100mm, 1/160th, f5.6, ISO3200

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony Alpha 7 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads