A6000 quick AF test with dogs

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
koylez
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
A6000 quick AF test with dogs
9 months ago

I know there have been some people asking for AF test with dogs, so here's mine:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5522221024

The weather finally cleared enough for me to take these yesterday afternoon after 5:30. The light was falling so I let the camera decide ISO. A lot of them appear to be ISO 1600 and above, so the results are a bit muddy. I also had to use a faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur.

I'm not sure if it's as good as my old Nikon D300, but it's at the stage where I don't really have to worry about the focus system. My NEX 7 could not take these.

Nikon D300 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,009Gear list
Like?
re: since EXIFs seem to be stripped...
In reply to koylez, 9 months ago
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
koylez
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: re: since EXIFs seem to be stripped...
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

...what lens[es] was it?

jpr2

It was the FE 55mm 1.8. The only other lens I've got is the 24mm, which is a bit wide to test with. I notice the 24mm doesn't support AF-A. Not sure if I can get the firmware updated to support it? The 55 does seem to focus quicker.

shadowz
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: A6000 quick AF test with dogs

Thank u very much for taking the effort to do the 'running dog AF test "

I felt that the images 2837  and 2838 have the area of best focus a little behind the subject ....

[just my opinion ]:)

dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?

Thanks! I was one of those asking. ours arrives tomorrow!!

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
Bolshevik
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

koylez wrote:

I know there have been some people asking for AF test with dogs, so here's mine:

The weather finally cleared enough for me to take these yesterday afternoon after 5:30. The light was falling so I let the camera decide ISO. A lot of them appear to be ISO 1600 and above, so the results are a bit muddy. I also had to use a faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur.

I'm not sure if it's as good as my old Nikon D300, but it's at the stage where I don't really have to worry about the focus system. My NEX 7 could not take these.

Thank you very much! Very informative - and very enqouraging.

ijustloveshooting
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?

if you're not sure if d300 is better or not, then it means that a6000 has top notche focusing performance...d300 af is simply stunning and if a6000 is head to head with d300, then a6000 af is a killer one!...

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,586Gear list
Like?

koylez wrote:

thanks a lot for doing this test. It looks very, very promising. Just curious, what aperture did you shoot this with?

Best regards,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Thank you SO much! This is one of the best real life tests I've seen... a very valuable data point. Even at ISO3200 & f5.6 there is definitely enough detail and shallow enough DOF to see where the area of critical focus is... the grass really helps in that regard.

Can I ask about your settings, if you remember? Your drive mode was single frame, not continuous, right? Were you in AF-C? What was your AF area, wide?

If you're feeling magnanimous and are are up for another test, I'd love to see a test in similar lighting where you're in A mode, forcing the aperture to f1.8, using AF-C/tracking & wide AF area. Using continuous shooting mode and shooting a burst after calling the dog to you would be way cool.

Provided the lighting is similar, that should get you a high shutter speed AND a lower ISO... depth of field would be way shallower, too. If it chooses a shutter speed under 1/1000 you can dial in a higher ISO to boost it.

Thanks so much!

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,227
Like?
Another vote for AF-C
In reply to mrbenji, 9 months ago

I'd like to see that too, and I'll bet you already have plans to try it. I think single point AF, or at most 9 point AF, will work better than wide area (the narrower the focal area, the faster the focus - probably).

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads