Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?
5 months ago

and considering dumping the A7R for it?

If Sony do make a medium format mirrorless and 80mm lens, my A7R and 55mm is gone.

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
novak977
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?
In reply to jkspepper, 5 months ago

I am.

novak977's gear list:novak977's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?

It needs to be 150mm f 3.5 or so

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Michael J Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

something along the lines of a digital Mamiya 7 would be cool!

Michael

-- hide signature --

'One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

John A Clark
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?

Completely different market ... although I might get rid of some of my Canon gear ...

My A7R is my 'walk around' gear, hardly a definition of a MF

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

John A Clark's gear list:John A Clark's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
In reply to John A Clark, 5 months ago

John A Clark wrote:

Completely different market ... although I might get rid of some of my Canon gear ...

My A7R is my 'walk around' gear, hardly a definition of a MF

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

That's the thing though. For me, the A7R's 36MP is essentially my "MF" style camera, used for considered shots where super sharpness, correct lighting and DR is needed.

My "walk-around camera" is the X-T1 and since I got it, I found I have been carrying my RX1 and X-T1 much much more over my A7R, with the A7R only coming out when I know I will be needing it's extra IQ and where I will be taking the time to properly compose a shot.

So for me, changing for a MF camera makes perfect sense.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,236
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 5 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

It needs to be 150mm f 3.5 or so

75mm would be nearer to a "normal" lens for that size of sensor. 150mm is a standard lens for 5x4 inch film, which is much bigger.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,236
Like?

It will be way above my budget, but it would be nice to know that it exists.

Ramius
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?

Ok, its easy to slap the word "rumoured" in your post without providing source of the rumour.

And why would Sony launch an MF camera when they are the ones who fitted a full format sensor in a camera house thats equal in size to MF cameras? Reducing themselves to MF would seem like a step back to me.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago

It could be a sensational camera and more importantly for Sony there would be no competition. My main concern would be if they were to interrupt plans to produce lenses for the FE range. But if they can do both it would be a very interesting camera much like what the D800e was 2 years ago.

Greg.

mpetersson
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 5 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

It could be a sensational camera and more importantly for Sony there would be no competition. My main concern would be if they were to interrupt plans to produce lenses for the FE range. But if they can do both it would be a very interesting camera much like what the D800e was 2 years ago.

Greg.

To me it feels like yet Another symptom of Sony's ADD. I doubt that they can focus on Three lens-lines at the same time (A, E, MF), considering that they haven't done a great job focusing on two as it is... They should let the current mounts and cameras mature a bit bbefore going on to the next thing. If people are to invest a lot of Money in, for instance, FE-mount lenses they need to know that Sony will keep supporting the mount with more lenses, more cameras and accessories. Of course you can buy the A7/A7r and use them as a digital back for lenses from other manufacturers, but that doesn't sound like a great business model for Sony... Canikon might feel traditional and slow compared to Sony, but buyers at least know where they stand and that they are buying into a system that will stay on track for a long time to come. I wish Sony could have at least a little more of that.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7, Sony NEX-7, Zeiss 16-70 f4, Zeiss 24 f1,8, Sony SEL16 f2,8, Sony SEL50 f1,8, Sony FE35 f2,8 and a bunch of legacy glass.

mpetersson's gear list:mpetersson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,874Gear list
Like?

Why wait the new Pentax 645D will have a Sony sensor. But body only is $10,000.00. Not to mention lenses run in the four grand area.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?

the problems are :

bulkier, heavier & without videography

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,915Gear list
Like?
In reply to mpetersson, 5 months ago

mpetersson wrote:

To me it feels like yet Another symptom of Sony's ADD. I doubt that they can focus on Three lens-lines at the same time (A, E, MF), considering that they haven't done a great job focusing on two as it is... They should let the current mounts and cameras mature a bit bbefore going on to the next thing.

The A-mount is mature.  It had a couple of decades under Minolta, and if it wasn't able to survive competing head-on with Canikon then, I'm not sure it will now.  The E-mount is getting pretty fleshed-out.  What is missing?  Even just looking at the APS-C range, you have a pretty good list of primes: 16mm (with adapters for 12mm and 10mm), 20mm, 24mm, 30mm, 35mm, 50mm.  You've got a selection of zooms.  Then Sigma and Zeiss lenses.  About all that seems left are long lenses, but you can use the adapter and a-mount if that is necessary.  I'm just curious what e-mount lenses people are waiting for.  A native 85mm might be nice?

Now if you are suggesting that Sony needs more FE lenses, then I would agree.  I expect them to keep releasing new ones.

If people are to invest a lot of Money in, for instance, FE-mount lenses they need to know that Sony will keep supporting the mount with more lenses, more cameras and accessories. Of course you can buy the A7/A7r and use them as a digital back for lenses from other manufacturers, but that doesn't sound like a great business model for Sony...

Maybe they figure that they can make a profit on the camera, while other manufacturers may rely more on lens sales?

Canikon might feel traditional and slow compared to Sony, but buyers at least know where they stand and that they are buying into a system that will stay on track for a long time to come. I wish Sony could have at least a little more of that.

If that was the overriding concern, why not just buy Canikon?  Even in past years, I've seen people post how the A-mount is missing this or that.  It's not like a tilt-shift lens (for example) isn't important, but if you need a native version and you won't use software correction, then maybe Sony isn't a good choice, but it's not like it's all that limiting.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7, Sony NEX-7, Zeiss 16-70 f4, Zeiss 24 f1,8, Sony SEL16 f2,8, Sony SEL50 f1,8, Sony FE35 f2,8 and a bunch of legacy glass.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
In reply to Ramius, 5 months ago

Ramius wrote:

Ok, its easy to slap the word "rumoured" in your post without providing source of the rumour.

And why would Sony launch an MF camera when they are the ones who fitted a full format sensor in a camera house thats equal in size to MF cameras? Reducing themselves to MF would seem like a step back to me.

Here :

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-surprising-rumor-first-hints-about-a-sony-medium-format-camera/

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,164Gear list
Like?
Me, big time, but...

I'm not at all certain about dumping my A7r yet.

For me, a lot will have to do with just what sort of animal this new beast will be. I have a Pentax 645N and several lenses plus a flash. I could be interested in the new Pentax CMOS camera if the price is reachable. I would go that direction if the Sony camera has the same basic MF form factor.

If, otoh, the Sony is more like a Mamiya 7, Fuji 645 , Bronica 645, or similar style and size, then I would probably lean that way if the price could stay around $4-6K. And for this camera I could probably live with a fixed lens or a mid range zoom---something in the 28-70 equiv FL. Slow is ok, 99% of my shooting is stopped down for max DOF. I would also hope they keep it relatively simple: think A850. I'd be on that camera instantly, maybe even pre-order.

I have a Fuji GSW690II , and it remains one of my favorite all time cameras to shoot with. Key positive aspects are the leaf shutter and the size---that size allows for stable hand holding at amazingly slow speeds without any stabilization.

And here's the funny thing about the size---in weird ways even that big Fuji (the "Texas Leica") was easy to carry around, almost easier than my DSLR's.  The Sony, if it is what I think it might be, won't be nearly as large---really great walk around camera, street shooter's dream.  And for most people it doesn't register as a big camera, so it's stealthy as a rangefinder.  But now with added landscape capabilities.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
tex
tex
Like?
Step back? oh, no.../nt
In reply to Ramius, 5 months ago
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
tex
tex
Like?
Glass half empty view. I'm seeing half full, and...
In reply to mpetersson, 5 months ago

increasing synergy---a line that truly goes from entry level consumer up through top gear across multiple formats.

BTW, there is a pretty strong rumor that Canon may be looking at Medium Format.  If so, and the Sony rumor is true (and I think it is), we'd then have Canon, Sony, Pentax, Hassy, Mamiya all in that market, with different approaches, from around $5k to $26+ K.  That's a more well rounded market than the one that used to be just over $25K.  And good numbers of people plunked down money for the top end FF DSLR's when they cost more than the current Pentax DMF does.  If these things do happen, watch for Fuji to jump in the pool---they've got pleanty of experience with MF.

This won't be a huge market, but it's one that will allow for expansion and higher profits in an increasingly tight consumer market, with plateauing numbers.

-- hide signature --

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909Gear list
Like?
Why medium format at 50MP doesn't thrill me now

First, let me say that I think it is great that Sony is making larger sensors and I would very much encourage them to continue to do that, reaching for really high resolutions.... In the longer term, I'd love to see Sony making sensors that were 8x10" or larger with enough pixels to meet Nyquist sampling for any lens ever made (i.e., wavelength limited spatial resolution).

However, there are problems:

• The jump from 36MP to 50MP (the current medium format Sony sensor) isn't big enough. 24MP APS-C pixel density gives at least 54MP full frame -- we'll be there real soon if Sony isn't there already.
  • There are tons of existing lenses, and lens designs, for 36x24mm format... and a very limited selection for anything larger. Using the same lenses, a 30.6mm square format could still fit the same image circle, giving 936mm2 instead of the 864mm2 we get in the 3:2 format, but that's not much difference. Similarly, a 36mm square sensor would allow cropping to any of 30.6mm square, 3:2, or 2:3 using the full image circle without the need to rotate the camera, which could be nice, but 36x36mm isn't really medium format.
  • Sensor size and related problems (e.g., cost, power, I/O bandwidth).
  • Need for yet another new lens mount.

In sum, I think true medium format at around 50MP is a niche market worthy of Sony's interest, but not destined to become mainstream. That will change, but it will take things like much higher resolution and new optics... in other words, it will take time.  

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,740
Like?
Finally an upgrade for the R1!
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads