1650$ for A7r. Does it make sense ?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
mkandil
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
1650$ for A7r. Does it make sense ?
8 months ago

I won a new A7r on ebay for 1650$ but i did not paid yet. How could a seller sells a camera for 1650$ while its price is around 2200$.

the seller has around 100 feedbacks only. did anyone purchased an A7r from ebay for such price ?

I am living/working in Qatar and the A7r is just released for 9,000QAR (2456$).

does it worth taking the risk ? will ebay return my money if something goes wrong ?

please advice

-- hide signature --

moh

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
Re: 1650$ for A7r. Does it make sense ?
In reply to mkandil, 8 months ago

mkandil wrote:

I won a new A7r on ebay for 1650$ but i did not paid yet. How could a seller sells a camera for 1650$ while its price is around 2200$.

the seller has around 100 feedbacks only. did anyone purchased an A7r from ebay for such price ?

does it worth taking the risk ? will ebay return my money if something goes wrong ?

please advice

-- hide signature --

moh

Based on my past experience with ebay, do not expect them to help you if anything goes wrong.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?

my question is why did you place is a bid and not know whether you want to pay for it?  Are you going to not pay even though you technically have an obligation to?  As a ex-ebay user, this would irritate me the most, that's probably why I don;t use it anymore.

SOrry to hijack this post but I find the behaviour difficult to digest.  It's just not very considerate and a bit rude and selfish to be honest.

Sorry, rant over.

mkandil
Like?
In reply to jkspepper, 8 months ago

jkspepper wrote:

my question is why did you place is a bid and not know whether you want to pay for it? Are you going to not pay even though you technically have an obligation to? As a ex-ebay user, this would irritate me the most, that's probably why I don;t use it anymore.

SOrry to hijack this post but I find the behaviour difficult to digest. It's just not very considerate and a bit rude and selfish to be honest.

Sorry, rant over.

I will not bid if I am not going to pay.

My max bid was 1800$, but I won it for 1650$ ! then I was surprised how a seller could make money when selling a camera for 1650$(including ebay charges) while it is being sold for 2200$.

this pushed me to ask people who may experienced something like this before.

so where you found this rude and selfish ?

-- hide signature --

moh

sreerajr
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

mkandil wrote:

jkspepper wrote:

my question is why did you place is a bid and not know whether you want to pay for it? Are you going to not pay even though you technically have an obligation to? As a ex-ebay user, this would irritate me the most, that's probably why I don;t use it anymore.

SOrry to hijack this post but I find the behaviour difficult to digest. It's just not very considerate and a bit rude and selfish to be honest.

Sorry, rant over.

My max bid was 1800$, but I won it for 1650$ ! then I was surprised how a seller could make money when selling a camera for 1650$(including ebay charges) while it is being sold for 2200$.

this pushed me to ask people who may experienced something like this before.

-- hide signature --

moh

As the US Sony stores were closing most of the employees got 50% rebates for items in the store.I have seen some post saying this,or may be this is an open box show room display item.

sreerajr's gear list:sreerajr's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?

mkandil wrote:

jkspepper wrote:

Sorry, rant over.

-- hide signature --

moh

I have to agree with jkspepper.

IF you won the bidding process you are supposed to pay for what you have bid. You are being selfish and rude by not full filling your part of the agreement, which is paying for what you have bid for.

eBay even enforces this rule by letting the seller flag you as non-paying, and many sellers, have a rule on the backend to stop people with more than 2 flags from being able to bid on what they are selling.
But coming back to what the thread is about: If he still has the warranty receipt then you are pretty much covered aren't you? Sony does give a broad warranty from one country to another.
I am not 100% sure of what would eBay do if your product is defective but my hunch is that yes, they would return your money. You gotta check with the eBay rules, which will also tell you that you need to pay for what you won.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

I agree with others.  Questions about authenticity and credibility of the seller need to be answered BEFORE a bid is placed.

But to answer the OP:  It's a legitimate concern, and due diligence is definitely indicated.  There are no guarantees, and any fraud protection from eBay or PayPal is limited and/or requires expensive insurance.

Your best bet is to look closely at seller feedback.  -Any- negative feedback needs to be examined.  Also, look at the seller's other auctions that are closed or still open.  What sort of stuff is he/she selling?  Other photo gear?  Other high priced items?  Are the winners of the auction varied in terms of geographic location?  How long has the buyer been in business?

If he/she is new, that's a red flag.  If the previous auctions are all recent and low priced, that's a MAJOR concern.  Unscrupulous sellers can game the eBay feedback system by creating a bunch of fake auctions just to bump up the rating.

Of course, you could always contact the seller and ask why he/she is selling at such a low price.  But that should have been done BEFORE the auction closes.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +11 more
John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?

Makes sense to me. people sell new items for all sorts of reasons. There is always the e-bay guarantee if the item is misrepresented. Go for the bargain and feel good about it.

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
drjs
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

mkandil wrote:

I won a new A7r on ebay for 1650$ but i did not paid yet. How could a seller sells a camera for 1650$ while its price is around 2200$.

the seller has around 100 feedbacks only. did anyone purchased an A7r from ebay for such price ?

please advice

-- hide signature --

moh

I echo other people's sentiments.  "You have already taken the risk" when you decided to bid on the item.  If you are not sure the authenticity of the item, you should have asked the buyer before you placed a bid.  After you place the bid and won, you are obligated to pay for the item.

In regard to why a A7R could be sold so cheaply, there are a lot of surplus items coming off the combo deal in the states.  A7R could be bought with a lens and a flash for $650 off.  Both B&H and focus camera in the states (both are large and very reputable) give you extra $300 - $500 off on top of it.  So in theory a A7r with a 35mm lens and a flash can be had for  $2300 (Camera)+$800 (35mm Lens) +$550 (Flash) - $650-$460 = $2540

Assuming a seller can sell the camera for $1650 and flash for $350, he/she can net the lens for $500 or so.  With the ebay fee on top, it is not a super deal but still money is made on the entire transaction. But ebay price is purely supply and demand. With so many combo deals floating around, I expect prices to stay low until the rebates have ended.

drjs's gear list:drjs's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,162Gear list
Like?

mkandil wrote:

please advice

-- hide signature --

moh

The seller potentially listed the camera as an A7R when it is actually an A7. I recently found a Minolta 50mm 2.8 macro AF for $98 on Amazon that normally sells for $150+. I contacted the seller to make sure it was the right lens and sure enough it was a 50mm 1.7. I had purchased it and sent a message to the seller who caught the problem/cancelled the order before it was shipped.

You need to contact the seller and confirm the camera make/model? Keeping them waiting while the camera is off the market is not good. You have a right to be concerned but need to follow up quickly. 100 feedbacks isn't bad and it sounds like a private seller.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
RJM77
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to drjs, 8 months ago

This has been brought up numerous times. All Sony employees have been able to buy the A7 cameras, the 35, 55 and 24-70 FE lenses for 50% off for at least a month now. It was completely unrelated to the Sony store closings. The huge employee discount ended yesterday and the A7 gear is back to a normal 25% discount.

John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to sreerajr, 8 months ago

sreerajr wrote:

As the US Sony stores were closing most of the employees got 50% rebates for items in the store.I have seen some post saying this,or may be this is an open box show room display item.

This is the right answer... there's a lot of them for sale.  I bought a A7r and 35mm Sonnar for $2300 and it WAS new (both).  I received it and am using it.

mkandil
Like?
In reply to John Gellings, 8 months ago

Thanks all you guys who gave me the right explanation on why the a7r is being sold cheaply.

But for those who jumped on my post considering me as selfish and rude, you maybe dont know that I cant ask the seller why he/she is selling the camera for a low price before the bid ends because it may jump around 200$ more by the last few seconds.

I started the thread just after the auction ended while I was waiting the money to be transfered to the internet click card to pay the item.Such price was surprisngly low where anyone may do the same and raise a concern about such purchase.

the camera was paid and hope everythings will go smooth.

Thanks again

-- hide signature --

moh

John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?

mkandil wrote:

Thanks all you guys who gave me the right explanation on why the a7r is being sold cheaply.

I would ask for the original receipt for warranty purposes.

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 733
Like?

if you ensure its conditional you are given proof of purchase from a store in your country and that it has a 100% manufacturer warranty for your country and that there are zero defects with the camera and paypal covers you then you are as good as you are going to get with fleabay

red fuji
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
In reply to shadowhumper, 8 months ago

Stone the OP ? he is was just surprised that the price came in so low; i would be too.

red fuji's gear list:red fuji's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
nick18k
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to mkandil, 7 months ago

mkandil wrote:

But for those who jumped on my post considering me as selfish and rude, you maybe dont know that I cant ask the seller why he/she is selling the camera for a low price before the bid ends because it may jump around 200$ more by the last few seconds.

I started the thread just after the auction ended while I was waiting the money to be transfered to the internet click card to pay the item.Such price was surprisngly low where anyone may do the same and raise a concern about such purchase.

Thanks again

-- hide signature --

moh

if you bid, then you pay.  If you read the description, checked photos, and checked his reputation you had time to ask a question.

I sell on eBay and the only thing worse than selling lower than what you want to get for the item is the buyer who doesn't pay. The seller has to wait 7 days before he/she can re-sell again just in case you pay after a case is open against you.

P.S. Read the rules or terms of eBay. You have Buyers protection, it's only going to cost you time.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

mkandil wrote:

the camera was paid and hope everythings will go smooth.

Thanks again

-- hide signature --

moh

Hopefully it works out for you.  Let us know the results.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +11 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,076
Like?
In reply to sreerajr, 7 months ago

mkandil wrote:

jkspepper wrote:

Sorry, rant over.

-- hide signature --

moh

Yup, probably a floor or demo model.

What does the listing say?

I would agree with the sentiment that I'd your not gonna pay, don't bid.
--
Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

Not sure which seller is this, if the feedback is 100% then it should be fine. $1650 is a good price, but not unusual. I have seen A7's go for $1,350 and sellers had 200+ feedback, all 100%.

I myself bought a BRAND NEW Sony Zeiss FE 55 F1.8 from eBay recently for $820, shipping included. The lens was as described - flawless and brand new. Same seller had A7's and A7R's for a steal. Too bad I got my A7 early this year paying full retail.

I saw new FE 24-70 on Amazon for $999 a few days back.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads