Any A7R users considering A6000 to complement their shooting?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
Any A7R users considering A6000 to complement their shooting?
6 months ago

I'm loving my A7R which I'm using primarily for landscape, travel, and a bit of portrait shooting, with wide to medium lenses anywhere between the 14mm and 85mm FL's. Action and nature/wildlife photography are less important to me, but nevertheless I am feeling a bit left out when it comes to action shots requiring fact continuous focus, or longer (200mm+) FL's where the shutter vibration effects are reported. Therefore, I am thinking of picking up the relatively inexpensive A6000 one or two longer NEX zooms, which will complement the A7R weakness areas, and keep the whole e-mount system compatible, and satisfy the need for the limited action and wildlife shooting that I enjoy.

Are any A7R users out there thinking the same thing?

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
slpianoproject
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: Any A7R users considering A6000 to complement their shooting?
In reply to Chrisd999, 6 months ago

Yes I totally agree with you and I'm considering the same thing. For when FF is not needed or in areas where the A7R fails it would be a good backup / complement camera. On top of that its cheaper than any of the A7's lenses available so...

slpianoproject's gear list:slpianoproject's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?

yes, but there are concerns about the IQ of the A6000 so far, and so I will wait for a while

John Triebe
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?

Yes, I'm getting rid of my NEX-7 and replacing it with the A6000. The menus between the NEX-7 and the A7R are considerably different and create problems when I'm carrying both cameras. The A6000 will minimize the difference with no loss in image quality. The faster focus is just an added bonus.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +35 more
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?

im hovering my mouse over the buy button now

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
seventn
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 6 months ago

I have the a7r and have an a6000 on order. Will compliment the a7r well when I need fast af and tracking/fast burst rates. Can't wait to try my FE lenses on it.

seventn's gear list:seventn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?
Yup: A 6000 arrives tomorrow

Yup!

We have an a6000 arriving tomorrow!

It's primarily for catching our dogs in action; we plan to use the 70-200F4 so there'll be no incompatible lenses.

But we are getting it with the legendarily bad 16-50 kit, coz it cost very little more than the body and will make the camera into a walk around for my wife when she's not shooting the dogs.

It'll be interesting to see just how bad it is, and whether I can talk her into upgrading it if it is...

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +12 more
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 548Gear list
Like?
Re: Already using the A7R + A6000 pair

Hundminen wrote:

I'm loving my A7R which I'm using primarily for landscape, travel, and a bit of portrait shooting, with wide to medium lenses anywhere between the 14mm and 85mm FL's. Action and nature/wildlife photography are less important to me, but nevertheless I am feeling a bit left out when it comes to action shots requiring fact continuous focus, or longer (200mm+) FL's where the shutter vibration effects are reported. Therefore, I am thinking of picking up the relatively inexpensive A6000 one or two longer NEX zooms, which will complement the A7R weakness areas, and keep the whole e-mount system compatible, and satisfy the need for the limited action and wildlife shooting that I enjoy.

Are any A7R users out there thinking the same thing?

Got my A6000 (with kit lens) some days ago. I think it is a perfect baby brother A7R; very similar menu/UI, minimal shutter delay + EFCS makes it more easy/casual shooter, AF/tracking (and shutter delay) makes it a good action shooter. I should get my FE 70-200/4 OSS in about a week, planning to use it in both bodies; A6000 for action, A7R for portraits and for more reach with static subjects. I'll only be using the A6000 with FE lenses aside the kit 16-50 PZ, the FE35/55 are very very good even with Nex-7 (according to dxomark), should be even a little better with the A6000.

I think A6000 compliments the A7R perfectly; lot's of complementary functionality and a backup body for same glass.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +13 more
kdrk888
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?

Too bad there is no native e mount 70-400mm. Otherwise the A6000 would be the perfect camera (AF, FPS, buffer) for sports that I am looking for. Both Nikon or Canon have no ASP-C offering with similar specs, not even close. But they have the lenses....

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,382
Like?
In reply to John Triebe, 6 months ago

John Triebe wrote:

Yes, I'm getting rid of my NEX-7 and replacing it with the A6000. The menus between the NEX-7 and the A7R are considerably different and create problems when I'm carrying both cameras. The A6000 will minimize the difference with no loss in image quality. The faster focus is just an added bonus.

Very wise. I personally cannot keep the A6000 because I still want the N7 as my main camera, and switching back and forth between A6000 and N7 is a major pain. Either of those cameras are great, but they're not meant to be comfortably used side by side. OTOH, A6000 and A7 will be fine, as they are very similar in controls and UI.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,437Gear list
Like?
Re: No need, my wife takes care of that! :) NT

NT

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Take a picture, it'll last longer.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340Gear list
Like?

Definitely, because it makes all my primes two focal lengths. When I got the A7 it felt like my prime collection doubled overnight. My NEX-5N is wearing down and will need to be replaced and the a6000 is almost certainly going to be the one that does it. I can even afford to wait till some real price cuts are made as long as my 5N doesn't fall apart before then.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,951Gear list
Like?

Probably not.  After getting used to FF many years, hard to return to APS-C.  Also don't want to build up any APS-C lenses.  I might get an A7 later when it becomes really cheap or waiting A8 with A6000 AF but that will also depend on availability of FE 16-35 and hope it's excellent.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,340
Like?

I use an Olympus E-M1 as complement to my A7, but I might also add an A7r body at some point.

-- hide signature --
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
In reply to quezra, 6 months ago

quezra wrote:

Definitely, because it makes all my primes two focal lengths. When I got the A7 it felt like my prime collection doubled overnight.

Yes, yes, yes and double yes.

Paul712
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?

I am currently using both A7R and NEX-7.  I like this combo as I avoid changing lences and able to better utilize my investment in APS E-Lenses.  I am considering replacing NEX-7 with A6000, but, not in a hurry to order it yet.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads