D800 photo counter 1/2 off

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Dom1
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
D800 photo counter 1/2 off
6 months ago

I just recently bought a D800 after playing around with a D7000 for a year.  For now I am using my 16GB SD cards until I buy fast CF cards for it.

Each photo is roughly 40MB in NEF format and 32MB in DNG.  The photo counter on the D800 shows I can only take 200 photos with my 16GB SD cards.

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

My math tells me I should fit 400 photos on a 16GB card.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chikubi
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
Re: D800 photo counter 1/2 off
In reply to Dom1, 6 months ago

It's because it's simply a rough estimate. It'll get more accurate as you get closer to a full card. Best thing to do is to top off a card and see how many shots you get, then go by that. My D3 always shows 157 shots available per the settings I shoot with, but I get 255 shots on a 4GB card every time, give or take 1-2. You'll see for yourself once you try it a couple times.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

Dom1 wrote:

I just recently bought a D800 after playing around with a D7000 for a year. For now I am using my 16GB SD cards until I buy fast CF cards for it.

Each photo is roughly 40MB in NEF format and 32MB in DNG. The photo counter on the D800 shows I can only take 200 photos with my 16GB SD cards.

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Two factors...

FIRST: D800 will NOT save in DNG format, lossless compressed NEF but not DNG

SECOND: Even in lossless compressed, the remaining shots is/are calculated using full size since it has no way to know just how much space will be saved with the compression of any particular shot.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Full Frame
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

Dom1 wrote:

I just recently bought a D800 after playing around with a D7000 for a year. For now I am using my 16GB SD cards until I buy fast CF cards for it.

Each photo is roughly 40MB in NEF format and 32MB in DNG. The photo counter on the D800 shows I can only take 200 photos with my 16GB SD cards.

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Take of photo of anything with detail in RAW format.

Now:

Go to your shooting menu - second page.

Go to Change "NEF (RAW recording' and press ok

Go to first line it will probably say  "type   ON.  press ok and change it "uncompressed"and press ok. It should now show up as off.

Go into the menu again and make sure the second line reads "NEF(RAW)bit depth    14-bit.

Now take a picture of the same scene.  Load both pictures into your computer and check the file size.

Now take the capacity of the card and divide it by the size of the uncompressed file. you should be at about 200 pictures for your 16gb card

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa "If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/

Full Frame's gear list:Full Frame's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Dom1
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Full Frame, 6 months ago

Full Frame wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Now:

Go to first line it will probably say "type ON. press ok and change it "uncompressed"and press ok. It should now show up as off.

Go into the menu again and make sure the second line reads "NEF(RAW)bit depth 14-bit.

Now take a picture of the same scene. Load both pictures into your computer and check the file size.

Now take the capacity of the card and divide it by the size of the uncompressed file. you should be at about 200 pictures for your 16gb card

-- hide signature --

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 30MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 40MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 56MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 74MB

Then when I convert to DNG on my PC I get

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 19MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 19MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 28MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 28MB

That's interesting because my 16MP D7000 files once converted to DNG on my PC were 16-19MB.  I must have been shooting 14bit.

I left it on 12bit lossless compressed.  Counter now shows 250 shots.  I will max out the card to see the actual count.  Thanks for the help!

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?

Where do you get these small filesize numbers from?

I shoot in 14-bit, lossless compressed and seldom have photos below 50MB... are you underexposing your shots?

As you fill up your card, you will find the number of remaining shots will be more and more precise.

If you're afraid to run out of card, why not just bring another one with you?

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Full Frame
Like?

Dom1 wrote:

Full Frame wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

Now:

Go to first line it will probably say "type ON. press ok and change it "uncompressed"and press ok. It should now show up as off.

Go into the menu again and make sure the second line reads "NEF(RAW)bit depth 14-bit.

Now take a picture of the same scene. Load both pictures into your computer and check the file size.

-- hide signature --

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 30MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 40MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 56MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 74MB

Then when I convert to DNG on my PC I get

RAW Lossless Compressed 12bit = 19MB

RAW Lossless Compressed 14bit = 19MB

RAW Uncompressed 14bit = 28MB

RAW Uncompressed 12bit = 28MB

That's interesting because my 16MP D7000 files once converted to DNG on my PC were 16-19MB. I must have been shooting 14bit.

I left it on 12bit lossless compressed. Counter now shows 250 shots. I will max out the card to see the actual count. Thanks for the help!

I shoot in 14 bit lossless compressed. If you post process why would you want to throw away color data by using 12 bit.

8 BIT = 256 colors for each RGB so that 256*256*256 - 16,777,216 colors

12 BIT = 4096 colors per rgb 4,398,046,511,104 (over 4 trillion)

14 BIT = 16,384 colors per rgb 281,474,976,710,656 (over 281 trillion)

DNG is the LR compression format. There is no advantage to DNG. If you delete the originals you cannot get back or work on your nef. Everything I read and classes I took in LR said stay away from DNG.

I use tom hogans D800 guide. (bythom.com)

• 14-bit Lossless compression. My default setting. You lose nothing other than some card space using this setting with the D800 model. I certainly use 14-bit when I shoot high dynamic range (HDR) image brackets, as I want even the underexposed images to have the cleanest data possible before integration into a single image.
  • 12-bit Lossless compression. If I know I need to conserve card space, I drop the bit-depth to 12-bit. This typically gains me about 20% more card space at only a little expense in image quality (primarily in low shadow detail recovery).
  • 12-bit Compressed NEF. I’ll only shoot this format in an emergency if I’m running out of card space. While it saves me another 10% or so in card space, it does so by severely reducing highlight data detail.
-- hide signature --

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,758Gear list
Like?

And it will tell you 400 with a 32 GB card.  This is a worse case estimate - it will be refined as you put more images on the card.

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Dom

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Full Frame
Like?
In reply to Janoch, 6 months ago

Janoch wrote:

Where do you get these small filesize numbers from?

I shoot in 14-bit, lossless compressed and seldom have photos below 50MB... are you underexposing your shots?

As you fill up your card, you will find the number of remaining shots will be more and more precise.

If you're afraid to run out of card, why not just bring another one with you?

I shoot in raw 14 bit lossless compressed and after thousands of shots from sports to landscape I do not ever recall a photo over 50mb.

-- hide signature --

Janoch
Like?

Of the last batch of 51 images, 11 is in range 50.5MB to 53.9MB. Smallest of all is 46MB.

ettr...

Still my 32GB CF-card says 400 shots. So Nikon is very conservative, when calculations are done.

The good part is, you can only be pleasantly surprised!

Otherwise, try to imagine the yelling on the internet, if card would hold less than calculated... rolls eyes... ^^

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,847
Like?

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

OK, so what is the problem? If Nikon would calculate in a different way and they would promise 357 images for your 16GB card and you would only be able to take 278 images would you start nagging because you missed 79 images? Come on, read the manual. The numbers are estimated. That's all. It is not easy for Nikon to guess what type of images you are going to take, and your 40MB per image is REALLY optimistic, I am almost never below 50MB, shooting lossless compressed 14-bit raw.

Besides, DNG is irrelevant, it is a crappy compression and you lose data when use it. Get a bigger hard drive if you have space problems, get a larger card if you worry about the number of images not being enough for you. Both solutions are really dirt cheap, so I don't see what the problem is.

Full Frame
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 6 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

OK, so what is the problem? If Nikon would calculate in a different way and they would promise 357 images for your 16GB card and you would only be able to take 278 images would you start nagging because you missed 79 images? Come on, read the manual. The numbers are estimated. That's all. It is not easy for Nikon to guess what type of images you are going to take, and your 40MB per image is REALLY optimistic, I am almost never below 50MB, shooting lossless compressed 14-bit raw.

Besides, DNG is irrelevant, it is a crappy compression and you lose data when use it. Get a bigger hard drive if you have space problems, get a larger card if you worry about the number of images not being enough for you. Both solutions are really dirt cheap, so I don't see what the problem is.

Thank you for your insight. Just one question. I have over 8k actuations on my D800, shoot in raw 14 bit lossless and never go above 50mb. Tried various configurations since yesterday and the only one over 50MB was a white wall at f22 with iso at 6400. Why would I always be under 50MB.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Janoch
Like?

Full Frame wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your insight. Just one question. I have over 8k actuations on my D800, shoot in raw 14 bit lossless and never go above 50mb. Tried various configurations since yesterday and the only one over 50MB was a white wall at f22 with iso at 6400. Why would I always be under 50MB.

Thanks

As you've found, it's a matter of scene content. And exposure.

But not relevant to this thread at all...

Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 6 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

First I've read that DNG " it is a crappy compression and you lose data when use it".

I'm always willing to learn and change my techniques. I'd appreciate your thoughts on why DNG seems to be a bad choice, at least in your estimation.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Full Frame
Like?
In reply to Janoch, 6 months ago

Janoch wrote:

Full Frame wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

Thanks

As you've found, it's a matter of scene content. And exposure.

But not relevant to this thread at all...

Hello Janoch

Just curious, do you use nikons' Capture NX2 to transfer files into computer.

-- hide signature --

Janoch
Like?

No, just a simple drag'n'drop with Windows Explorer...

olyflyer
Like?
In reply to Full Frame, 5 months ago

Full Frame wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Dom1 wrote:

40MB * 200 photos = 8GB.

Thoughts?

I am not at my main computer and on this one I only have 244 NEF images, but you are right, none of the files are over 50MB, however almost all are larger than 40MB, very near 50MB and out of 244 images only 8 are 40MB or less.

olyflyer
Like?
In reply to Lucky Sky, 5 months ago

Lucky Sky wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

First I've read that DNG " it is a crappy compression and you lose data when use it".

I'm always willing to learn and change my techniques. I'd appreciate your thoughts on why DNG seems to be a bad choice, at least in your estimation.

OK, maybe "crappy" is a too strong word, though in my opinion, every compression algorith is "crappy" if a single bit is lost and the original can not be recreated. Since the DNG converter must know about your camera model and it actually converts the NEF into an image before compressing the image, AND you can not, after converting to DNG convert back to original NEF, it is to me obvious that it is indeed a lossy compression, not just 'simple' data compression like zip, tar or whatever other type of data compression you want to compare with, which is truly lossless. The Nikon lossless compression works entirely on data compression principle, preserving every bit and recreating every bit of data when you edit the raw image, and that can not be done once the image is converted to DNG. That is why many people, who use DNG, also preserve the original NEF, which in my opinion, is a totally pointless work flow. The only reason I can see to use DNG is the ability to share the image with somebody else who is not able to edit NEF, but I might as well use TIFF in that case. The DNG converter must have knowledge of the camera model concerned, and be able to process the source raw image file, including key metadata to be able to convert and compress. A real lossless compression algorithm NEVER looks at the contents of the data because it is totally irrelevant for the converter to know what type of data you convert and try to compress, since it is based on mathematical patterns and statistics only.

I look at DNG like I look at PDF. A Word document, especially with photographs in it, can be converted to PDF and it may look like you have not lost anything, but yes, you have lost a lot actually and you can never ever recreate the original Word document with the same quality like you have had in your original.

Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 5 months ago

Thank you for expanding on your comment. Very thorough and useful for a non-digital guy like me.

Appreciate your time.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads