Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jkim7
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
9 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on getting an A6000, and from what I understand mirror less has pretty much caught up with DSLRs. Especially with the AF of the A6000, wouldn't an A6000 be just as good as a D5300? Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it? It's just that I still see so many people buy t5i's and D5300s and entry level APS-C DSLRs.

Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Nikon D5300 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,392Gear list
Like?
Lenses
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Mirrorless, yes.  Sony, no.

Look at M43 or Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jkim7
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Re: Lenses
In reply to nevada5, 9 months ago

nevada5 wrote:

Mirrorless, yes. Sony, no.

Look at M43 or Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

I think Sony has enough quality lens' at this point and I won't need the huge array of M43 lens' especially when a lot of them overlap. I'm no photography expert so I won't be able to tell the difference between the quality of images that come out from Fuji lens vs. Sony lens and thus can't justify the price difference. Also, for me as a beginner, Fuji may be a bit harder to learn for me than the A6000 due to the Fuji cameras being marketed more towards an enthusiast.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

The A6000 is a fine machine.  The D5300 is a fine machine. Both are better than most photographers. Where they differ for most users is in their system aspects - what lenses of what quality at what price are available. In terms of lenses, Nikon easily trumps Sony.  In AF, the A6000 is probably just fine for static or slowing moving subjects, but so are most top-end mirrorless cameras. It is also probably quite good at tracking rapidly moving objects, but so is a Nikon Series 1 camera.  Not so much most other mirrorless cameras.  We'll see how far Sony moved the bar.  Price wise, Sony's finally playing hardball, but it's still tough for a mirrorless camera to match a midrange DSLR in all aspects of AF, at low light levels as well as high light levels. But in terms of size and viewfinder information, mirrorless definitely has an edge.

As always, try both out in the store and see which one you like better in your hand.  That's perhaps most important these days if you're not looking for extreme system breadth.

 mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joyclick
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-M1
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

A mirrorless that is giving the DSLRs run for their money,and choice of stellar lenses.

-- hide signature --

student4ever

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,716Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Mirrorless, yes. Sony, no.

Look at M43 or Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

I think Sony has enough quality lens' at this point and I won't need the huge array of M43 lens' especially when a lot of them overlap. I'm no photography expert so I won't be able to tell the difference between the quality of images that come out from Fuji lens vs. Sony lens and thus can't justify the price difference. Also, for me as a beginner, Fuji may be a bit harder to learn for me than the A6000 due to the Fuji cameras being marketed more towards an enthusiast.

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,716Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-M1
In reply to joyclick, 9 months ago

joyclick wrote:

A mirrorless that is giving the DSLRs run for their money,and choice of stellar lenses.

I'm not sure I'd say it's giving them a run for their money, but there is a good choice of lenses. Not bad for a 16Mp sensor, but that extra 8Mp in the A6000 is well worth it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Lenses, Viewfinder, Feel
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

You are buying into a camera system. Over time your photographic interests will change or grow. This often means needing different lenses. There is a much greater choices of lenses for Nikon from some good kit lenses to top quality pro lenses.

The other choice is electronic veiwfinder vs optical viewfinder. You need to try both and decide which suits you.

Do you like a small body camera like the A6000 or the feel of a DSLR like the D5300?

The D5300 has similar image quality to the D7100, but has plastic body instead of magnesium, less capable autofocus. The D5300 has an articulated screen which the D7100 doesn't have. My choice is the D5300 over the A6000 for the lenses, OVF and image quality.

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,584Gear list
Like?
D5300 and legacy lenses
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

 Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?
Re: Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on getting an A6000, and from what I understand mirror less has pretty much caught up with DSLRs. Especially with the AF of the A6000, wouldn't an A6000 be just as good as a D5300? Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it? It's just that I still see so many people buy t5i's and D5300s and entry level APS-C DSLRs.

Several reasons to pick D5300 over A6000. Though it is important to realise that they may not all apply to every person.

1, D5300 has access to a lot more first party native lenses, often at better prices. For example 50/1.8G, 85/1.8G, 35/1.8G.

2, D5300 has access to more high quality third party native mount lenses. for example Sigma 18-35/1.8, Tokina 11-16/2.8. These lenses do not have E-mount version.

3, D5300 has an OVF, zero lag and infinite refresh rate, cost no power to run. OVF is stil a lot better than EVF for tracking. to get the same zero lag tracking with A6000, you need a red dot sight mounted on the hotshoe.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
clarifcation given.
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 9 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

 NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses, Viewfinder, Feel
In reply to Greg A A, 9 months ago

Greg A A wrote:

My choice is the D5300 over the A6000 for the lenses, OVF and image quality.

Nikon had to remove the AA filter just to try and equal the IQ of the 2 1/2 year old Sony NEX7. And I it's debatable which produces a sharper image.

Given that the Nikon D5300 doesn't have quite as good IQ as the D7100 and that the A6000 has an improved sensor over the NEX7. I'm betting with equal lenses, the Sony wins on sharpness at low to mid ISOs (which is 99.95% of my shooting).

I'd also rather have the Sony 16-70/4 over any Nikon DX wide zoom lens. Nikon has plenty of great lenses (and I've shot plenty) but for someone looking for high quality in a small package, the A6000 with the Zeiss or any of the F1.8 primes is a fantastic option.

OVF vs EVF is a matter of personal preference. I don't mind some OVFs, but I like EVFs for what they do for me that OVFs will never be able to do (e.g. live screen in video, live histogram, detailed level control and not some half-baked one using a few af points, instant feedback when I change WB or any other image parameter, etc...)

I've had 3 SLRs (and shot with Dozens), and 1 mirrorless. I much preferred the mirrorless to any of them. But to each their/own.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

 NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Lenses, Viewfinder, Feel
In reply to NowHearThis, 9 months ago

NowHearThis wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

My choice is the D5300 over the A6000 for the lenses, OVF and image quality.

Nikon had to remove the AA filter just to try and equal the IQ of the 2 1/2 year old Sony NEX7. And I it's debatable which produces a sharper image.

Given that the Nikon D5300 doesn't have quite as good IQ as the D7100 and that the A6000 has an improved sensor over the NEX7. I'm betting with equal lenses, the Sony wins on sharpness at low to mid ISOs (which is 99.95% of my shooting).

D5300 is essentially the same in IQ with the D7100, both of which are somewhat better than the NEX-7. It's doubtful that there would little if any advantage with an A6000. Lenses are the limiting factor with these cameras, of which you have more choices to decide IQ vs $ with Nikon.

I'd also rather have the Sony 16-70/4 over any Nikon DX wide zoom lens. Nikon has plenty of great lenses (and I've shot plenty) but for someone looking for high quality in a small package, the A6000 with the Zeiss or any of the F1.8 primes is a fantastic option.

And the OVF/EVF is like Ford vs Chevy. I don't mind OVFs, but I like EVFs for what they do for me that OVFs will never be able to do (e.g. live screen in video, live histogram, detailed level control and not some half-baked one using a few af points, instant feedback when I change WB or any other image parameter, etc...)

I've had 3 SLRs (and shot with Dozens), and 1 mirrorless. I much preferred the mirrorless to any of them. But to each their/own.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

I recently was deciding between the D7100 and the NEX-7 for another body smaller than a full frame. For me the NEX-7 EVF and small size just wasn't a comfortable camera. The choice of lenses is a big deal also. Nikon has it all over the NEX-7 lens lineup, hands down. Once I tried the NEX-7 that was the end of that idea. You need to try both to decide what you like, because there is a big difference in how they handle.

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
Re: clarifcation given.
In reply to NowHearThis, 9 months ago

NowHearThis wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

The more lenses argument is valid:

1) if you have a need to own more than 20 lenses

2) if there is a lens you need to shoot the photos you like that is not covered by the Sony e-mount / Sigma e-mount / other e-mount offerings

Otherwise it is like buying a care because it speedometer goes up to 160 vs one that goes up to only 120.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on getting an A6000, and from what I understand mirror less has pretty much caught up with DSLRs. Especially with the AF of the A6000, wouldn't an A6000 be just as good as a D5300? Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it? It's just that I still see so many people buy t5i's and D5300s and entry level APS-C DSLRs.

Both are great cameras.

I would prefer the A6000 of those two but that is me .

I prefer an EVF over OVF almost any day....at least it is better for MY needs and especially the Sony A7 EVF...A6000 EVF may not be as good but still good enough.

As for lenses that is a non issue for either even though the Nikon can not use all available Nikon auto focus lenses, the Sony can use native E and FE lenses (of which there are more than enough for most) but also later on you can add  adapter(s) and autofocus almost (if not all)  Canon EF lenses, Sony/Minolta AF lenses and even Contax G.

 neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: clarifcation given.
In reply to K E Hoffman, 9 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

The more lenses argument is valid:

1) if you have a need to own more than 20 lenses

This is what one says to rationalize a limited set of lenses for a camera mount. Choosing a lens is not just having one with the focal length you want. There are tradeoffs on dollars vs quality. Do you want to spend money on a 2.8 lens or do you want a lighter do everything walk around zoom at 3.5/5.6. Do you want to take advantage of all of the capability of your high quality sensor with prime lenses? The Nikon lens system, or Canon for that matter, are not overkill. These lens systems provide what you might need for various uses. Add Sigma and Tamron to those lenses and you have a wide variety of choices.

2) if there is a lens you need to shoot the photos you like that is not covered by the Sony e-mount / Sigma e-mount / other e-mount offerings

Otherwise it is like buying a care because it speedometer goes up to 160 vs one that goes up to only 120.

A sophomoric way of considering lenses. Over time you will decide you want to do different kinds of photography. You will understand that there are some valid reasons to choose a particular lens.

The lens is everything. You will find that camera bodies come and go, but you keep your lens system for a long time. I still frequently use a quality lens from my film days with good results today, thanks to the compatible Nikon system.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses, Viewfinder, Feel
In reply to Greg A A, 9 months ago

Greg A A wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

My choice is the D5300 over the A6000 for the lenses, OVF and image quality.

Nikon had to remove the AA filter just to try and equal the IQ of the 2 1/2 year old Sony NEX7. And I it's debatable which produces a sharper image.

Given that the Nikon D5300 doesn't have quite as good IQ as the D7100 and that the A6000 has an improved sensor over the NEX7. I'm betting with equal lenses, the Sony wins on sharpness at low to mid ISOs (which is 99.95% of my shooting).

D5300 is essentially the same in IQ with the D7100, both of which are somewhat better than the NEX-7.

Not according to the image comparisons here at DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100/20

The NEX 7 also looks just a little better over all then the D7100 at Imaging resource too.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Given that Sony has said that they've improved a few things with their processor I suspect it will be an improvement, albeit a small one.

It's doubtful that there would little if any advantage with an A6000. Lenses are the limiting factor with these cameras, of which you have more choices to decide IQ vs $ with Nikon.

And people just need to ask themselves, what do I need/want.

I'd also rather have the Sony 16-70/4 over any Nikon DX wide zoom lens. Nikon has plenty of great lenses (and I've shot plenty) but for someone looking for high quality in a small package, the A6000 with the Zeiss or any of the F1.8 primes is a fantastic option.

And the OVF/EVF is like Ford vs Chevy. I don't mind OVFs, but I like EVFs for what they do for me that OVFs will never be able to do (e.g. live screen in video, live histogram, detailed level control and not some half-baked one using a few af points, instant feedback when I change WB or any other image parameter, etc...)

I've had 3 SLRs (and shot with Dozens), and 1 mirrorless. I much preferred the mirrorless to any of them. But to each their/own.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

I recently was deciding between the D7100 and the NEX-7 for another body smaller than a full frame. For me the NEX-7 EVF and small size just wasn't a comfortable camera. The choice of lenses is a big deal also. Nikon has it all over the NEX-7 lens lineup, hands down.

And Canon has even more than Nikon, but how many are you going to use.  I don't shoot wildlife, if I ever do, I can rent a LA-EA2 and any number of great A-mount lenses.  Now I'm a big advocate of use the right tool for the job.  If you shoot sports, BIF, underwater, some wildlife... then yes there are plenty of good DSLR options from Pentax, Nikon, and Canon that will suit most.  I however am a landscape, portrait & street/urban shooter.  And the Sony Mirrorless can cover everything I need.  From 10-70 at F4 from 24-55 at F1.8.  All in a much smaller/lighter package than anything from C/N/P and still with Fantastic IQ.

In a small little Tamrac Aero 36 bag I kept a N7, 18-200 (the bigger one), 50/1.8, HVL-F20AM flash, charger, extra batteries for the camera and flash.  You couldn't fit a D7100 with just the 18-55 in a bag this small, let alone 2 lenses and a flash on top of that.

Once I tried the NEX-7 that was the end of that idea. You need to try both to decide what you like, because there is a big difference in how they handle.

I had the NEX-7 for a while, I only sold it because I needed a camera with a fast AF for my oldest niece's wedding.  But I more than any other camera I've tried, the NEX-7 was by far my favorite.  (Up until recently I used to worked in at Camera store, so I've tied more gear than most people.)

For me the mirroless handle great, especially the Sony's with their nice sized grip (A6000 is even better I understand) Corner mounted EVF.  The only thing I wish the A6000 had was a touchscreen.  Oh well it's still $500 less than a D7100, I won't complain.

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

 NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
Re: clarifcation given.
In reply to Greg A A, 9 months ago

Greg A A wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

The more lenses argument is valid:

1) if you have a need to own more than 20 lenses

This is what one says to rationalize a limited set of lenses for a camera mount. Choosing a lens is not just having one with the focal length you want. There are tradeoffs on dollars vs quality. Do you want to spend money on a 2.8 lens or do you want a lighter do everything walk around zoom at 3.5/5.6. Do you want to take advantage of all of the capability of your high quality sensor with prime lenses? The Nikon lens system, or Canon for that matter, are not overkill. These lens systems provide what you might need for various uses. Add Sigma and Tamron to those lenses and you have a wide variety of choices.

WOW! You are so smart.. it never occurred to me that in choosing my lenses I should consider FL, $$, Max Aperture, Quality etc. Thanks for sharing you daring an unique lens perspective..

BTW I never I never mentioned focal length a factor or sole factor in choosing a lens did I? So what was your point?

2) if there is a lens you need to shoot the photos you like that is not covered by the Sony e-mount / Sigma e-mount / other e-mount offerings

Otherwise it is like buying a care because it speedometer goes up to 160 vs one that goes up to only 120.

A sophomoric way of considering lenses. Over time you will decide you want to do different kinds of photography. You will understand that there are some valid reasons to choose a particular lens.

No more sophomoric than "My Brand has more lenses I will never own than your brand has lenses you will never own" really?

The lens is everything. You will find that camera bodies come and go, but you keep your lens system for a long time. I still frequently use a quality lens from my film days with good results today, thanks to the compatible Nikon system.

And I use Quality Minolta lenses thanks to the Compatible Sony system AND BTW ALL Sony A-mount cameras support ALL Sony / Minolta era A-mount lenses unlike Nikon which has remove support for many legacy (lower cost lenses) in its lower cost camera line. Ironic to dell a budget camera that can't use many of the great used budget lenses..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Again.Slower for the lens snobs...

If System A has 20 lenses and you want to own 2 or 5..of a particular focal length, aperture range, price etc. that matter to you and you can find lenses in the 20 that work.. Then guess what.. 20 or 100 lenses.. you will be just fine. Having a mature view of lens options will prevent you from spending weekends at the camera store reminding people how many lenses you could own if you had a bazillion dollars and why lenses you will never own are more important in choosing a camera than features you will use....

There is logical shopping for a camera (and system) and their is "sheeping" to a brand.

You'll note in this.. I gave you a very objective logical path to choosing.. and someone else needed to get all "I know more than you" really?

In the case of the A6000 vs D5300 (both very capable cameras)

What our Nikon Fan missed in his lens math is that the A6000 unlike the D5300 can mount and use Nikon lenses mount, in manual mode.. and the larger collection of Canon lenses in full AF modes plus Leica lens, Minolta lenses, Sony lenses both Amount and e-mount, etc. because Sony and several companies make very nice adapters (with no added optics to change the image quality of the lens.

This makes the actual available lens set for the A6000 many times that of the D5300.. but as I said.. its not the count.. even when the Sony is better.. its what do you need to do YOUR photography. And IF the smaller set of lens options on the D5300 meets your needs any you like its size and features vs the A6000.. don't let the massive count of lenses you can use on the A6000 sway you over the limited Nikon DSLR lens count.

Thanks.. good luck in choosing..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215Gear list
Like?
Re: clarifcation given.
In reply to K E Hoffman, 9 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Also think about the ability to adapt lenses with shorter registrations than Nikon or Canon EOS like Leica M, Zeiss ZM and Canon FD as well as Nikon and Canon. If you're a legacy lens fan like I am, the D5300 won't be able to do as much although Nikon has an extensive number of classic Nikkors that are nice to use.

The D5300 is not very usable with older Nikkors. It won't autofocus with AF-D lenses and won't meter with AI lenses. If you're not willing to stick with AF-S lenses, it's just not a good choice.

Allow me to reword what you said that so the OP will understand it.

"If you're not willing to stick with any of the 110+ AF-S lenses (including ones from Sigma and Tamron) that have been produced, of which more than 90 are still available, it's just not a good choice."

That said, if the OP can afford it, A6000 + 16-70/4 Zeiss is one sweet, small setup.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

The more lenses argument is valid:

1) if you have a need to own more than 20 lenses

This is what one says to rationalize a limited set of lenses for a camera mount. Choosing a lens is not just having one with the focal length you want. There are tradeoffs on dollars vs quality. Do you want to spend money on a 2.8 lens or do you want a lighter do everything walk around zoom at 3.5/5.6. Do you want to take advantage of all of the capability of your high quality sensor with prime lenses? The Nikon lens system, or Canon for that matter, are not overkill. These lens systems provide what you might need for various uses. Add Sigma and Tamron to those lenses and you have a wide variety of choices.

WOW! You are so smart.. it never occurred to me that in choosing my lenses I should consider FL, $$, Max Aperture, Quality etc. Thanks for sharing you daring an unique lens perspective..

BTW I never I never mentioned focal length a factor or sole factor in choosing a lens did I? So what was your point?

2) if there is a lens you need to shoot the photos you like that is not covered by the Sony e-mount / Sigma e-mount / other e-mount offerings

Otherwise it is like buying a care because it speedometer goes up to 160 vs one that goes up to only 120.

A sophomoric way of considering lenses. Over time you will decide you want to do different kinds of photography. You will understand that there are some valid reasons to choose a particular lens.

No more sophomoric than "My Brand has more lenses I will never own than your brand has lenses you will never own" really?

The lens is everything. You will find that camera bodies come and go, but you keep your lens system for a long time. I still frequently use a quality lens from my film days with good results today, thanks to the compatible Nikon system.

And I use Quality Minolta lenses thanks to the Compatible Sony system AND BTW ALL Sony A-mount cameras support ALL Sony / Minolta era A-mount lenses unlike Nikon which has remove support for many legacy (lower cost lenses) in its lower cost camera line. Ironic to dell a budget camera that can't use many of the great used budget lenses..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Again.Slower for the lens snobs...

If System A has 20 lenses and you want to own 2 or 5..of a particular focal length, aperture range, price etc. that matter to you and you can find lenses in the 20 that work.. Then guess what.. 20 or 100 lenses.. you will be just fine. Having a mature view of lens options will prevent you from spending weekends at the camera store reminding people how many lenses you could own if you had a bazillion dollars and why lenses you will never own are more important in choosing a camera than features you will use....

There is logical shopping for a camera (and system) and their is "sheeping" to a brand.

You'll note in this.. I gave you a very objective logical path to choosing.. and someone else needed to get all "I know more than you" really?

In the case of the A6000 vs D5300 (both very capable cameras)

What our Nikon Fan missed in his lens math is that the A6000 unlike the D5300 can mount and use Nikon lenses mount, in manual mode.. and the larger collection of Canon lenses in full AF modes plus Leica lens, Minolta lenses, Sony lenses both Amount and e-mount, etc. because Sony and several companies make very nice adapters (with no added optics to change the image quality of the lens.

This makes the actual available lens set for the A6000 many times that of the D5300.. but as I said.. its not the count.. even when the Sony is better.. its what do you need to do YOUR photography. And IF the smaller set of lens options on the D5300 meets your needs any you like its size and features vs the A6000.. don't let the massive count of lenses you can use on the A6000 sway you over the limited Nikon DSLR lens count.

Thanks.. good luck in choosing..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

 EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Don't trust all the hype - Try before buy!
In reply to K E Hoffman, 9 months ago

K E Hoffman wrote:

WOW! You are so smart.. it never occurred to me that in choosing my lenses I should consider FL, $$, Max Aperture, Quality etc. Thanks for sharing you daring an unique lens perspective..

Again.Slower for the lens snobs...

The mirrorless crowd gets vicious when their position is questioned.

Decide for yourself by making sure you get your hands on a A6000 and a D5300 before deciding to purchase. Bloviation from the Sony mirrorless crowd shouldn't be taken at face value. Of course I'm not very smart and I'm obviously a lens snob so you can't trust me either.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

-- hide signature --

f8 and be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads