CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
7 months ago

Got my new CV28/2 Ultron and the close focus adapter from Voigtlander. I took a few quick shots, nothing special, just checking sharpness and distortion.

Sony A7R sporting a CV28/2 Ultron

Exceptional build quality on this lens, compact and dense. The same can be said for the adapter which is heavier than expected. It has a helicoid focus in the mount to allow much closer focusing, but it takes some practice as it has a disproportionate effect compared to the lens focus ring. I still need to figure out some things about manual focusing, so OOF subjects are my fault.

As expected, distortion isn't a problem at least with landscapes that don't contain bricks or other straight lines. Microcontrast greatly exceeds my expectations and sharpness looks very good although I have not taken much to prove that the borders or corners are very sharp yet.

I took these shots in fairly crappy light, just before the incoming thunderstorm but before the lighting got interesting. There may be some magenta smearing in corners, certainly a little bit of CA which corrects in LR but not done in these postings. These were shot RAW, imported into LR5.3, standard sharpening of 25 and nothing else done.

F2, 1/250s, ISO 100 close focus engaged (about 8-10 inches from the chive plant). Any focus issues are my own as I relied on peaking and didn't have magnification engaged. Specular highlights aplenty if you zoom in, I don't know enough to say they are good or bad.

F2, 1/250s, ISO 100 close focus engaged.

F5.6 or F8, 1/250s, ISO 1250

I will try to take more interesting shots soon this was just what I could get to from my backyard before it poured (again).

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Sony Alpha 7R Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

This lens is very sharp and contrasty used with the NEX 6

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Focus assist?
In reply to Euell, 7 months ago

I don't seem to have the zoom focus assist working as described by others. Do you have that on the NEX-6? While it is possible I have set up something to break this in the menu system, it does work on my FE55. I will keep looking.

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus assist?
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

I don't seem to have the zoom focus assist working as described by others. Do you have that on the NEX-6? While it is possible I have set up something to break this in the menu system, it does work on my FE55. I will keep looking.

It does work when I set C1 to Focus Mode. One press and I get a bounding box I can move, the second and third presses give me magnification. I guess this is fine.

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

Got my new CV28/2 Ultron and the close focus adapter from Voigtlander. I took a few quick shots, nothing special, just checking sharpness and distortion.

Sony A7R sporting a CV28/2 Ultron

Exceptional build quality on this lens, compact and dense. The same can be said for the adapter which is heavier than expected. It has a helicoid focus in the mount to allow much closer focusing, but it takes some practice as it has a disproportionate effect compared to the lens focus ring. I still need to figure out some things about manual focusing, so OOF subjects are my fault.

As expected, distortion isn't a problem at least with landscapes that don't contain bricks or other straight lines. Microcontrast greatly exceeds my expectations and sharpness looks very good although I have not taken much to prove that the borders or corners are very sharp yet.

I took these shots in fairly crappy light, just before the incoming thunderstorm but before the lighting got interesting. There may be some magenta smearing in corners, certainly a little bit of CA which corrects in LR but not done in these postings. These were shot RAW, imported into LR5.3, standard sharpening of 25 and nothing else done.

F2, 1/250s, ISO 100 close focus engaged (about 8-10 inches from the chive plant). Any focus issues are my own as I relied on peaking and didn't have magnification engaged. Specular highlights aplenty if you zoom in, I don't know enough to say they are good or bad.

F2, 1/250s, ISO 100 close focus engaged.

F5.6 or F8, 1/250s, ISO 1250

I will try to take more interesting shots soon this was just what I could get to from my backyard before it poured (again).

Looks really nice Jeff. I think you made a great choice here. It'll be really nice to have f2 sometimes and 28mm, at least for me, is a very useful angle of view.

Here, I have the Canon 28/2.8 IS which I like a lot.

Some nice images there. I for one would like to see a few more.

Have you needed the fancy adapter, or would a cheaper one suffice?

Is it too early to decide if you will keep it?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

Below were taken with the CV 28 Ultron and NEX 6. They have been down-rezzed.

Bald Rock (CA)

BALD ROCK (CA)

BALD ROCK (CA)

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

those pics are pretty clean jeff! it looks like a nice piece of glass.

when you get a chance... how about a long distance wide landscape shot, camera jpeg, no processing.

thanks,

-- hide signature --

dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to KwhyChang, 7 months ago

Looks really nice Jeff. I think you made a great choice here. It'll be really nice to have f2 sometimes and 28mm, at least for me, is a very useful angle of view.

Here, I have the Canon 28/2.8 IS which I like a lot.

Some nice images there. I for one would like to see a few more.

Have you needed the fancy adapter, or would a cheaper one suffice?

Is it too early to decide if you will keep it?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Thanks Dave. I am pretty sure this will be a keeper. I have some new skills to work on (like MF with assist). From what I have seen so far, it has some corner weakness for sure, just a little bit of color smear, and a fairly normal and small amount of CA. Center sharpness is really good. I love the build on this lens, everything is tight and smooth. The hood is minimal - I actually thought it was built in because I couldn't get it off yesterday, but today, no problem. I ordered a little bit bigger hood in 52mm instead of 46mm. I can then stack my 49mm CPL and that hood with appropriate step ups and hopefully avoid vignetting.

I think a cheaper adapter would have worked fine. I was interested in getting closer focus than the specified 70cm and with the adapter I can get to 24cm. I did want a decent quality adapter and the regular CV is about $200, Novoflex was about $260. And besides, Brian gave some compelling arguments in his book so now I can shoot just like him I now feel empowered to try other M mount lenses although I can't afford the Leica ones and the Zeiss Biogons might not be the best match, although I would love to be proved wrong.

It might be a long time before we see the sun again so I will try some indoor/flash shots today. Most of my shots have been at higher ISOs. I might also pop this on my NEX-7.

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to osv, 7 months ago

osv wrote:

those pics are pretty clean jeff! it looks like a nice piece of glass.

when you get a chance... how about a long distance wide landscape shot, camera jpeg, no processing.

thanks,

-- hide signature --

dan

Sure, I will definitely try that. If the rain holds off (I think we hit an all-time record for March with a few days left) I will take a walk. I'll turn RAW+JPEG back on for you

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

I didn't even bother to use my CV28mm f/2.0 given the negative reports.  I have the A7 and the Voigtlander close focus adapter.  Now that I see that someone is happy with the lens, I'll have to dig through my storage and give this lens a try.  Thanks..

 Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

osv wrote:

those pics are pretty clean jeff! it looks like a nice piece of glass.

when you get a chance... how about a long distance wide landscape shot, camera jpeg, no processing.

thanks,

-- hide signature --

dan

Sure, I will definitely try that. If the rain holds off (I think we hit an all-time record for March with a few days left) I will take a walk. I'll turn RAW+JPEG back on for you

JPEGs are at http://1drv.ms/Qwptkr. If anyone wants the RAWs, I can post them too. I am using Auto ISO with a fixed Shutter speed (so same as Manual); apertures were usually f8 or f11, with a few f5.6 - too bad it doesn't get recorded in the EXIF. Some shots appeared dark, and at one point I had boosted the exposure+1. The shadows recover just fine from the RAWs. Nearly all the shots were focused at infinity which with an f11 which puts everything from about 5 feet into focus.

My conclusion from this round is that the corners and borders are definitely soft, and there is definitely a little bit of purple color on the edges. There is also a fair amount of CA that can be corrected; you might have to play with the LR eyedropper a few times to hit just the right spot. Center is quite sharp and the microcontrast is quite nice. So it might not be that much better than the FE2470 at 28mm but I think it is sharper and less distorted so probably no need to correct in landscapes. Vignetting is present but minimal.

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

that looks like a cool neighborhood to live in!

i see everything that you said about those pics, but i think that there are things that can be done to help alleviate some of it.

were those shot hand-held? because there is micro jitter in most of 'em.

i've been doing a lot of lens testing lately... in bright sunlight i use full manual mode on the a7r:

iso200-250, or slightly higher if necessary.

test-shoot the lens at f8, then ~f10, then f11

shutter at 1/800th or faster if possible, never under 1/500th

i always use a monopod, at the minimum.

view this pic at 1:1, and scroll over to check out the sides... it was shot with an old vivitar 28mm f2.0 lens, using the settings that i just listed above, this was ~f10:

-- hide signature --

dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to JeffGo, 7 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

JeffGo wrote:

osv wrote:

those pics are pretty clean jeff! it looks like a nice piece of glass.

when you get a chance... how about a long distance wide landscape shot, camera jpeg, no processing.

thanks,

-- hide signature --

dan

Sure, I will definitely try that. If the rain holds off (I think we hit an all-time record for March with a few days left) I will take a walk. I'll turn RAW+JPEG back on for you

JPEGs are at http://1drv.ms/Qwptkr. If anyone wants the RAWs, I can post them too. I am using Auto ISO with a fixed Shutter speed (so same as Manual); apertures were usually f8 or f11, with a few f5.6 - too bad it doesn't get recorded in the EXIF. Some shots appeared dark, and at one point I had boosted the exposure+1. The shadows recover just fine from the RAWs. Nearly all the shots were focused at infinity which with an f11 which puts everything from about 5 feet into focus.

My conclusion from this round is that the corners and borders are definitely soft, and there is definitely a little bit of purple color on the edges. There is also a fair amount of CA that can be corrected; you might have to play with the LR eyedropper a few times to hit just the right spot. Center is quite sharp and the microcontrast is quite nice. So it might not be that much better than the FE2470 at 28mm but I think it is sharper and less distorted so probably no need to correct in landscapes. Vignetting is present but minimal.

The wide rangefinder symmetrical-design lenses tend to work better with the APSc sensors, other than the NEX 7.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Re: CV28 Ultron + VM-E on A7R
In reply to osv, 7 months ago

osv wrote:

that looks like a cool neighborhood to live in!

i see everything that you said about those pics, but i think that there are things that can be done to help alleviate some of it.

were those shot hand-held? because there is micro jitter in most of 'em.

i've been doing a lot of lens testing lately... in bright sunlight i use full manual mode on the a7r:

iso200-250, or slightly higher if necessary.

test-shoot the lens at f8, then ~f10, then f11

shutter at 1/800th or faster if possible, never under 1/500th

i always use a monopod, at the minimum.

view this pic at 1:1, and scroll over to check out the sides... it was shot with an old vivitar 28mm f2.0 lens, using the settings that i just listed above, this was ~f10:

-- hide signature --

dan

Thanks for the advice Dan. Yes, they were all handheld, all shot at 1/250s thinking that should be fast enough. But I don't have the steadiest of hands so I will try even faster speeds. The ISOs mostly stayed around 100 so I can definitely afford to go higher and switch it to full manual. I'll bring out the monopod as well but not sure I will take it on my upcoming trip.

 JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads