I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
millardmt
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.
4 months ago

Hi Kids:

Warning -- LONG Winded Ramble (best left to someone less discriminating)

None of the MFT cameras currently on the market are quite what I'm after, and so I continue to use my Oly E-P3 (which suits me very well indeed).

I should say that I have quite a stash of old Nikkors which I refuse to forsake, and so I was (and am) greatly pleased with the advent of the Metabones Nikon-to-MFT speedbooster/Adapter.

Anyway this is what I want and, implicitly, why I feel so conflicted about the choices currently open to me.

I like analog dials: were it not for its size and the need to buy new native lenses and, especially, because I refuse to buy a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder "hump," I'd buy the Fuji XT-1.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: If a camera doesn't have a prism, its EVF better be modular or I'll want nothing to do with it!  Period. End of discussion. If I even suspect that a manufacturer's designers are being instructed by its marketing department to make something that "looks like a DSLR" because that's "what our focus groups keep telling us they like," then forget it -- I won't buy it.  (I realize built-in EVFs have to located somewhere -- just not THERE!)

But before you conclude that I'm some kind of holier-than-thou purist whom nobody can please, let me tell you about a revelation I experienced just a day or two ago. I was reading DPR's updated Pentax/Ricoh K-3 "First Impressions" article wherein there are pictures depicting the K-3 right next to the Nikon D7100. And these immediately brought to mind the enlighted remarks of some DPR pundit -- I'm sorry, I don't remember the context nor the contributor's name -- who said (if I may paraphrase) that he was tired of seeing new DSLRs whose styling cues appear to be universally taken directly from whatever the chief stylist may have observed in the toilet on the day in which certain crucial decisions were made. Crude, perhaps, but that DPR's comments exactly mirrored my own feelings with respect to the styling of most cameras being sold today.  I invariably observe the "jello-mold" styling of today's inexpensive automobiles with a jaundiced eye, but at least it can be said that such disagreeable shapes are in the interests of fuel economy.  But, other than economy, what else is there to recommend these eyesores with which the human eye has been besieged for the last forty years?  Bah!  A beautiful woman has curves and so does an XKE Jaguar, but many of today's cameras instead resemble a piece of gum stuck to one's shoe.

Okay, rant over.  Before your eyes cross with terminal boredom, let me conclude by saying that I now know I AM a fashion SNOB. I hadn't known it, but I am. Crucify me if you will -- I surely deserve it -- but I admit that APPEARANCE IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

But, having said that, I AM NOT williing to cut a "pretty" camera ANY slack whatsoever.  It must be FULLY functional.

What I would buy:

1) As little plastic as possible.  I'll pay a 250% weight AND price penalty for this alone.

2) No frivolous or proprietary features.  I don't want movies but it takes so little space it's a moot issue.

3) As said before, everything should be removable/modular in design.

4) Flexibility of control should be maximal; there should be a maximum of dedicated hardware controls on the camera.  And Each button/switch should be the highest quality obtainable.

5) Camera size should be kept to an absolute minimum.  (For example, I'd tolerate a substantially smaller than 3" (diagonal) LCD size to keep overall dimensions down.

6) Wi-Fi, NFC, Art-Filters, social media connectivity and the like should be omitted altogether.

7) Mechanical shutter only.

8) All switches would be of aircraft grade only (or better).

9)  I would beg, borrow or steal $6,000 for a well designed MFT camera-body only with the above attributes.

Marc (thanking you all for your patience);

and, yes, I'm ready for institutional care ...

Nikon D7100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ulfie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,153
Like?
This is it.
In reply to millardmt, 4 months ago
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410
Like?
Re: This is it.
In reply to ulfie, 4 months ago

I only only Leica can fulfill those requirements. We'll see if they release an m43 body

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

There are probably about 100 people in the market for the camera you describe, so to amortize costs, the price will be more like $2.5 million each.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Elliot H
Contributing MemberPosts: 991
Like?
Re: I've been lusting for a new camera, but only now have I an inkling what I truly want.

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

None of the MFT cameras currently on the market are quite what I'm after, and so I continue to use my Oly E-P3 (which suits me very well indeed).

I should say that I have quite a stash of old Nikkors which I refuse to forsake, and so I was (and am) greatly pleased with the advent of the Metabones Nikon-to-MFT speedbooster/Adapter.

Anyway this is what I want and, implicitly, why I feel so conflicted about the choices currently open to me.

I like analog dials: were it not for its size and the need to buy new native lenses and, especially, because I refuse to buy a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder "hump," I'd buy the Fuji XT-1.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: If a camera doesn't have a prism, its EVF better be modular or I'll want nothing to do with it! Period. End of discussion. If I even suspect that a manufacturer's designers are being instructed by its marketing department to make something that "looks like a DSLR" because that's "what our focus groups keep telling us they like," then forget it -- I won't buy it. (I realize built-in EVFs have to located somewhere -- just not THERE!)

But before you conclude that I'm some kind of holier-than-thou purist whom nobody can please, let me tell you about a revelation I experienced just a day or two ago. I was reading DPR's updated Pentax/Ricoh K-3 "First Impressions" article wherein there are pictures depicting the K-3 right next to the Nikon D7100. And these immediately brought to mind the enlighted remarks of some DPR pundit -- I'm sorry, I don't remember the context nor the contributor's name -- who said (if I may paraphrase) that he was tired of seeing new DSLRs whose styling cues appear to be universally taken directly from whatever the chief stylist may have observed in the toilet on the day in which certain crucial decisions were made. Crude, perhaps, but that DPR's comments exactly mirrored my own feelings with respect to the styling of most cameras being sold today. I invariably observe the "jello-mold" styling of today's inexpensive automobiles with a jaundiced eye, but at least it can be said that such disagreeable shapes are in the interests of fuel economy. But, other than economy, what else is there to recommend these eyesores with which the human eye has been besieged for the last forty years? Bah! A beautiful woman has curves and so does an XKE Jaguar, but many of today's cameras instead resemble a piece of gum stuck to one's shoe.

Okay, rant over. Before your eyes cross with terminal boredom, let me conclude by saying that I now know I AM a fashion SNOB. I hadn't known it, but I am. Crucify me if you will -- I surely deserve it -- but I admit that APPEARANCE IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

But, having said that, I AM NOT williing to cut a "pretty" camera ANY slack whatsoever. It must be FULLY functional.

What I would buy:

1) As little plastic as possible. I'll pay a 250% weight AND price penalty for this alone.

2) No frivolous or proprietary features. I don't want movies but it takes so little space it's a moot issue.

4) Flexibility of control should be maximal; there should be a maximum of dedicated hardware controls on the camera. And Each button/switch should be the highest quality obtainable.

5) Camera size should be kept to an absolute minimum. (For example, I'd tolerate a substantially smaller than 3" (diagonal) LCD size to keep overall dimensions down.

6) Wi-Fi, NFC, Art-Filters, social media connectivity and the like should be omitted altogether.

9) I would beg, borrow or steal $6,000 for a well designed MFT camera-body only with the above attributes.

Luna Hasselblad?

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 4 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

There are probably about 100 people in the market for the camera you describe (...)

Me thinks you are overestimating the demand...

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,962Gear list
Like?

It was not clear. I'll assume this is a hobby rather then a way to make a living. That is why pro photographers have not switched to any mirror less camera full time.

You need a Nikon D4s or put your cameras in a Nauticam housing or something.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

Uh...

But before you conclude that I'm some kind of holier-than-thou purist whom nobody can please, let me tell you about a revelation I experienced just a day or two ago.

Well...I did indeed wait until drawing that conclusion. But I did in the end draw it nonetheless.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,193Gear list
Like?

Too much analyst.

Just go buy what you truly want as you have thought out.

Life is short, enjoy your time on earth taking pictures.

Post some pictures here so others can admire your craft.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +4 more
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

None of the MFT cameras currently on the market are quite what I'm after

I basically stopped reading here, though I skimmed enough of the rest to see that it looks like whining that a manufacturer doesn't custom produce a camera to your exact specs.  Hope you find it.

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +8 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

It was not clear. I'll assume this is a hobby rather then a way to make a living. That is why pro photographers have not switched to any mirror less camera full time.

You need a Nikon D4s or put your cameras in a Nauticam housing or something.

Lol.     

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +16 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,928Gear list
Like?
You have got to be kidding.

millardmt wrote:

What I would buy:

1) As little plastic as possible. I'll pay a 250% weight AND price penalty for this alone.

2) No frivolous or proprietary features. I don't want movies but it takes so little space it's a moot issue.

4) Flexibility of control should be maximal; there should be a maximum of dedicated hardware controls on the camera. And Each button/switch should be the highest quality obtainable.

5) Camera size should be kept to an absolute minimum. (For example, I'd tolerate a substantially smaller than 3" (diagonal) LCD size to keep overall dimensions down.

9) I would beg, borrow or steal $6,000 for a well designed MFT camera-body only with the above attributes.

Suggestion:  If you want bare bones high end mechanical construction that has oodles of esthetic appeal, buy a Leica.

If you want the rest of the features you list, there are dozens of cameras that meet your requirements:  They are called FILM cameras.  I suspect you would be much happier with one of them.

Enjoy your search!

-J

howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,574
Like?

If you do not compromise, you are going to save a lot of money since what you want is not likely to ever be manufactured.

pocketpygmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?

kodak will soon be revealing a premium line of m4/3 cameras to supplement their current line of plastic toys, rumored to be named 'Like-ah Dandymatics'.

as luck would have it, it is exactly the camera you describe.

its anachronistic authenticity is so pure that its marketing materials don't even bother with the modern conceit of tricking consumers with 999's and 99-cents; it really does just cost six thousand dollars -- a bargain really, considering what you're about to read.

its modularity is so radical that, were it not for kodak's clever branding scheme, putting together your uber-custom camera may be altogether indistinguishable from machining and sodering together every individual component.

it even comes with a certificate of reality, should you doubt that your purchase is in any way immaterial. when doused with the included apothecarian oils (housed in hand-blown glass film canisters), the certificate may also be used as a serviceable ego-stroker.

and finally, its sensor: a revolution and a revelation. it is, on the plebian plane of physical existence, still just a 4/3 sensor. but in the mystic hands of the True Operators, and when coupled with Glass of Immaculate Origin, the visions produced by the Dandymatic sensor quantitatively contain more data and detail than exists in the funny little world it is at any given moment recording; qualitatively, the visions exceed every one that came before the last, such that entire realms of being may, plausibly, eventually, be stitched together from mere 'images'.

such is life when the scales of our maps tip past 1:1.

not a bad deal for six grand...

pocketpygmy's gear list:pocketpygmy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
thomasw333
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

I want some of the things you want also. Specifically, an Olympus MFT camera, made with metal, preferably brass like the Pentax MX1. With physical controls like the Fuji XT1. And those controls to be high quality. And while they cannot start putting aperture rings on lenses, the shutter speed. Iso, and exp comp are great and why not an aperture dial also. Etc so u get most manual controls withthose controls being dedicated to what they do.
--
Lets promote calm rational arguments.

thomasw333's gear list:thomasw333's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Derek Dean
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?

To be honest, I feel a bit sorry for you.  There are so many truly wonderful cameras available today, and it seems like you've gone out of your way to eliminate them all for one reason or another.

Oh well, lust away.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?

Leica.  The only non-video, mostly manual cameras available....for more money than most of us would care to part with.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +15 more
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626Gear list
Like?

millardmt wrote:

Hi Kids:

Which brings me to my pet peeve: If a camera doesn't have a prism, its EVF better be modular or I'll want nothing to do with it! Period. End of discussion. If I even suspect that a manufacturer's designers are being instructed by its marketing department to make something that "looks like a DSLR" because that's "what our focus groups keep telling us they like," then forget it -- I won't buy it. (I realize built-in EVFs have to located somewhere -- just not THERE!)        snip

But before you conclude that I'm some kind of holier-than-thou purist whom nobody can please, snip

I agree. About the institutional care that is.

Your ideal camera would be the XT-1 were it not for having to buy lenses? Maybe a compact camera would suit? Err, no. Nothing will please you.

Except perhaps the XT-1 with a customising job to add shoulders each side of the hump so you don't get a hump. Humph! Send it to Hasselblad. They will customise it for you with nice wooden shoulders. Or you could just use some car body filler and black paint. Job's a good one!

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix P500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
Blaufeld
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

(...)That is why pro photographers have not switched to any mirror less camera full time.(...)

You are very wrong on this. Just Google "Switched from FF to M4/3", you''l find a staple of REAL Pro photographer ("Pro" as in "I'm payed for the work I do") that have COMPLETELY switched to M4/3 - and they are the kind of photographers that can't afford to ruin theit image with half-a$$ed jobs...

Blaufeld's gear list:Blaufeld's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
millardmt
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

Sigh. You all have expressed it more or less in a nutshell. I simply don't belong here. But i thank you sincerely for the company.

Marc

(PS:  I don't have $4,000;  I never have cared for the Leica "ethos";  and I CAN'T STAND STUFF THAT'S ENGINEERED TO A PRICE POINT!!!  It's some kind of personality flaw, I guess  M)

(PPS:  I've had three Rollei 35's and they're not that well put together.    M)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads