NEX-6 - Will the LCD delaminate like a 5N?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Sleepdance
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
NEX-6 - Will the LCD delaminate like a 5N?
8 months ago

I've owned the NEX-3 and 5N, and both suffered from the rear LCD delamination problem . They were easily fixed by peeling off the original anti-glare film and replacing it with an optical glass protector, which brought them back to looking flawless and new.

I have a used NEX-6 ordered and will be installing an optical glass protector on it--should I peel off the original film before doing this, or has Sony made improvements to their coating since the 5N days?

I've come across threads suggesting an optical glass LCD protector for the 6, but no one has specifically said if they removed the anti-glare film before installing it on that model.

Screen delamination on an NEX-5

Sleepdance's gear list:Sleepdance's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +22 more
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mxl123dp
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: NEX-6 - Will the LCD delaminate like a 5N?
In reply to Sleepdance, 8 months ago

I'm curious to know if the nex 6 has the delaminate issue also.  I just upgrade from original nex-5 to 6.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436Gear list
Like?
In reply to mxl123dp, 8 months ago

My 5R has the start of this problem as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 also did.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,226Gear list
Like?

Sleepdance wrote:

I've owned the NEX-3 and 5N, and both suffered from the rear LCD delamination problem . They were easily fixed by peeling off the original anti-glare film and replacing it with an optical glass protector, which brought them back to looking flawless and new....

My 5 had this problem, but there was no film to peel off.  Once the Trublack coating wore off, I just left it that way.

Anyway, I ordered Sony's stiff plastic protector to go with my Nex-6, when I originally got it, so my 6 hasn't had a chance to wear off.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766Gear list
Like?

what?  You could peel off the film?

unfortunately the trublack coating wearing off, Is a problem with Sony camera LCDs.  I always put a screen protector on my camera's because of this.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
binauralbeats
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Sony should use glass and raise the price 10$

Don't know why camera makers don't use glass LCD covers.  How much could it possibly cost them?  An additional $.50?

-- hide signature --

-Really there is a God... And She loves you and wants you to buy camera gear!

Sleepdance
Like?
In reply to tqlla, 8 months ago

tqlla wrote:

what? You could peel off the film?

unfortunately the trublack coating wearing off, Is a problem with Sony camera LCDs. I always put a screen protector on my camera's because of this.

Actually I have my wife do it for me. She can get them peeling in a few seconds with her nails, whereas I messed around for a while and couldn't even get it started. Here is a video showing the full procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

I don't have a before shot, but it was utterly terrible looking. Here's a picture from my NEX-3's auction showing what it looks like after replacing the film with glass:

Not only does replacing the film fix the delamination, but all of the scratches on my LCD were isolated in that film, so after removing it, the screen underneath was absolutely pristine.

Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +22 more
PatrickB01
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

After a year and a half my nex6 shows no signs of the delamination issue.

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766Gear list
Like?

Sleepdance wrote:

tqlla wrote:

what? You could peel off the film?

unfortunately the trublack coating wearing off, Is a problem with Sony camera LCDs. I always put a screen protector on my camera's because of this.

Actually I have my wife do it for me. She can get them peeling in a few seconds with her nails, whereas I messed around for a while and couldn't even get it started. Here is a video showing the full procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

I don't have a before shot, but it was utterly terrible looking. Here's a picture from my NEX-3's auction showing what it looks like after replacing the film with glass:

Wow, pretty cool.  THanks for the info

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
bigley Ling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony should use glass and raise the price 10$
In reply to binauralbeats, 8 months ago

binauralbeats wrote:

Don't know why camera makers don't use glass LCD covers. How much could it possibly cost them? An additional $.50?

-- hide signature --

yes agree, but I suspect the tru black coating also helps when using the LCD in bright sunlight, and also with reflections. By adding a glasss protector, these fancy coatings may not be as effective especially with regard to reflections

Sleepdance
Like?
In reply to PatrickB01, 8 months ago

PatrickB01 wrote:

That sounds very promising. On the 6 then I'll probably try applying a glass protector without removing the film first.

MMMFalafel
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

My NEX-6 is delaminating. I've had it since December 2012.  I kept it bagless in a coat jacket a lot on European adventures last year, so I guess I should've expected some wear:

GaryW
Like?
Re: Sony should use glass and raise the price 10$
In reply to binauralbeats, 8 months ago

binauralbeats wrote:

Don't know why camera makers don't use glass LCD covers. How much could it possibly cost them? An additional $.50?

They charge something like $15 for their plastic protector/cover.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?

I just got the NEX6 few weeks I am following this threat.

I am curious.

Sleepdance wrote:

I've owned the NEX-3 and 5N, and both suffered from the rear LCD delamination problem . They were easily fixed by peeling off the original anti-glare film and replacing it with an optical glass protector, which brought them back to looking flawless and new.

I have a used NEX-6 ordered and will be installing an optical glass protector on it--should I peel off the original film before doing this, or has Sony made improvements to their coating since the 5N days?

I've come across threads suggesting an optical glass LCD protector for the 6, but no one has specifically said if they removed the anti-glare film before installing it on that model.

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10 Canon 600D
Sony nex5n
______

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
GaryW
Like?
In reply to MMMFalafel, 8 months ago

MMMFalafel wrote:

My NEX-6 is delaminating. I've had it since December 2012. I kept it bagless in a coat jacket a lot on European adventures last year, so I guess I should've expected some wear:

You know, that looks like it's currently mostly around the edges.  You might be able to put on Sony's protector and at least keep it from degrading further and most of it might not even be visible (as the plastic cover has black/opaque edges that cover the edges, except for a bit in the lower-left corner).  Good luck?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,877Gear list
Like?
No, it won't

Sleepdance wrote:

The problem with the older generation NEX cameras is caused because the protection film that Sony put on the LCD's starts peeling off after a while...   you can complete the process and replace it yourself as a partial repair.  However the protective film was actually part of an anti-reflection process and unfortunately none of the aftermarket films are quite as effective

This protective film was not fitted to the NEX-6 or NEX-5R/T and so you will not have the same problem on those cameras as there is no film to bubble-off!  However by the same token the LCD's of these cameras are not so visible in daylight as on the older cameras 

I'm not sure if the film is missing from the later cameras because of the issues it caused on the earlier ones, or simply as a cost-saving measure

What a shame Sony don't sell the protective film to their customers directly!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Enigma002
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?

Yes. The protective screen will delaminate.

Enigma002's gear list:Enigma002's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Duskbat
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?

I just peeled off my de laminated screen on my sony 5n. Could someone give me the amazon link to a suitable replacement screen I can order. I can't find exactly what I need to replace my bad film I removed. I guess its a hardened plastic screen cover.

thanks much

I did find this http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Optical-Screen-Protector-NEX-5N/dp/B007V5CD0W/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396234260&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=CGS+glass+protector+sony+5n

Is this what I need or please show me on Amazon what I need to replace what I peeled off.

Duskbat's gear list:Duskbat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Apple iPhone 5s
Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?
In reply to PatrickB01, 8 months ago

PatrickB01 wrote:

After two and a half years my NEX 5N shows no sign of delamination. It has had a screen protector since 4 weeks after I received it.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, 8 months ago

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

PatrickB01 wrote:

After two and a half years my NEX 5N shows no sign of delamination. It has had a screen protector since 4 weeks after I received it.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Typically its warmth and moisture that do AR/glossy coatings in because they are generally semi permeable.  There were a fair amount of people using microwaved moist paper towels to take overly aggressive AR coatings from their Dell monitors.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads