Alternatives to Olympus Stylus 1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
kasakka
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Alternatives to Olympus Stylus 1?
9 months ago

So I'm going to Japan soon and planning to get a camera there as the prices are cheaper and selection far better.

I recently had a chance to try out the Olumpus Stylus 1 and it had a lot of what I want in a camera: optical stabilisation, good set of features, viewfinder and compact size. It's enough in the not-quite-DSLR territory for me to be comfortable.

Basically the big features for me are the viewfinder (prefer holding the camera to my face rather than at arms length), compact size so it's easy to dig out and doesn't take much extra space.

Previously I've only had a really old digital camera (Canon Powershot A75) and smartphones for photography but considering getting something more comfortable. Mostly for holiday snaps unless I suddenly get into photography more.

The Stylus 1 is my top contender right now, but can you recommend me something similar I should look into?

Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849Gear list
Like?
Re: Alternatives to Olympus Stylus 1?
In reply to kasakka, 9 months ago

The Stylus 1 is kind of unique for its size, sensor and zoom range.

I prefer the Olympus XZ2 for its brighter lens (zoomed out) and same sensor. Does not have the zoom range though.

Be aware that if you buy a Sony camera in Japan, it will have Japanese menus only with no ability to add English later.   Sony RX10 comes to mind as an option,but it is much more expensive and bigger.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?

The closest competitor is actually Nikon P7800. You sacrifice some reach (200mm equivalent vs 300mm) and some low-light quality at long end(f/4 vs f/2.8) but gain some low-light quality at wide end (f/2 vs f/2.8). You also sacrifice some viewfinder quality but gain fully articulated screen vs just tilting on Stylus 1.

P7800 is also somewhat cheaper. Worth trying if you can find it.

asp1880
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?

Fujifilm S-1 perhaps?

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Anders.

Keyboard shortcuts: