Community Challenge: Just One(?) Photo in March

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?
Community Challenge: Just One(?) Photo in March
7 months ago

Continuing the ever-expanding collection of great photographs from this community (January thread, February thread), here we are finishing up the third month of the year, where many of us are just now getting out of the rut of the snowpocalypse, at least here in the United States.

As in the previous two months, this thread series is designed to be a showcase to display your best photograph you made with any e-mount or RX camera this March. It is not a contest, and you can either post your technical best (good composition, subject, etc.), the one that received the most social media/viral presence, or the photograph that meant the most to you this month.

Be sure to list the camera/lens used in your description if it is not already included in the EXIF data, and feel free to give a bit of backstory for your photograph and why you choose it.

I'll start: this month was not filled with as many photography opportunities as I anticipated for a myriad reasons, the least of which was bad weather, oddly enough. Even still, I had an extremely difficult time choosing just one photograph. First up, my sister celebrated her wedding in Kentucky for extended family who could not make her original Florida ceremony. As such, I got to practice with some portrait poses for a couple wedding gigs coming up this summer. This shot was backlit by the sun only, with the white dress reflecting light back onto her arms for a glowing effect. The subtle streaks of lens flare also added to the composition:

Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Wide-open

Though I am breaking my own rule here (whoops!), this next photograph holds equal weight in aesthetic appeal to me. The historical building of Old Morrison on Transylvania University's campus is always photogenic from any angle. Due to tightly-spaced surrounding architecture, there are only a few days each year where the sun sets on the horizon at just the right spot to side-light the building in a warm yellow-orange glow. This photograph, also with the Touit 32mm, showcases this light as well as the symmetrical shadows thrown against the building from the vertical columns. The slightly green grass (spring is slowly coming...) and blue sky pocked with warm clouds further adds to the photograph:

So, as before, reply away with your best photograph and get this thread filled with great photographs from our evolving community! And if you had the same problem choosing just one as I did, feel free to post two this month. I'll make an exception.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,492Gear list
Like?
Re: Community Challenge: Just One(?) Photo in March
In reply to El Matadurr, 7 months ago

El Matadurr wrote:

Continuing the ever-expanding collection of great photographs from this community (January thread, February thread), here we are finishing up the third month of the year, where many of us are just now getting out of the rut of the snowpocalypse, at least here in the United States.

As in the previous two months, this thread series is designed to be a showcase to display your best photograph you made with any e-mount or RX camera this March. It is not a contest, and you can either post your technical best (good composition, subject, etc.), the one that received the most social media/viral presence, or the photograph that meant the most to you this month.

Be sure to list the camera/lens used in your description if it is not already included in the EXIF data, and feel free to give a bit of backstory for your photograph and why you choose it.

I'll start: this month was not filled with as many photography opportunities as I anticipated for a myriad reasons, the least of which was bad weather, oddly enough. Even still, I had an extremely difficult time choosing just one photograph. First up, my sister celebrated her wedding in Kentucky for extended family who could not make her original Florida ceremony. As such, I got to practice with some portrait poses for a couple wedding gigs coming up this summer. This shot was backlit by the sun only, with the white dress reflecting light back onto her arms for a glowing effect. The subtle streaks of lens flare also added to the composition:

Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Wide-open

Though I am breaking my own rule here (whoops!), this next photograph holds equal weight in aesthetic appeal to me. The historical building of Old Morrison on Transylvania University's campus is always photogenic from any angle. Due to tightly-spaced surrounding architecture, there are only a few days each year where the sun sets on the horizon at just the right spot to side-light the building in a warm yellow-orange glow. This photograph, also with the Touit 32mm, showcases this light as well as the symmetrical shadows thrown against the building from the vertical columns. The slightly green grass (spring is slowly coming...) and blue sky pocked with warm clouds further adds to the photograph:

So, as before, reply away with your best photograph and get this thread filled with great photographs from our evolving community! And if you had the same problem choosing just one as I did, feel free to post two this month. I'll make an exception.

Hey Matt,

Beautiful images especially of your gorgeous sister! Love the light shining on her as well as her stylish pose.

Did you use DMF? What I'm finding is for wide open shots with the Touit it is easier to use DMF on the eyes for half-body shots. For full body it's easier to do AF provided the lighting is good. It's more challenging indoors thus I try to use DMF too for full body shots. I can't wait to use my Touit again for some shoots.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to José B, 7 months ago

José B wrote:

Hey Matt,

Beautiful images especially of your gorgeous sister! Love the light shining on her as well as her stylish pose.

Did you use DMF? What I'm finding is for wide open shots with the Touit it is easier to use DMF on the eyes for half-body shots. For full body it's easier to do AF provided the lighting is good. It's more challenging indoors thus I try to use DMF too for full body shots. I can't wait to use my Touit again for some shoots.

Cheers,

José

Thanks José! And I actually used manual focus for both shots, and typically stick with it for two reasons: the AF of the Touit on the NEX-7 is pretty slow anyway, and when it is compounded with the unfortunate slight back-focusing my copy (and others out there) exhibits, I only waste more time using DMF.

To get critical correct focus to reap all the detail the Touit can provide at f/1.8, it actually turns out MF only is faster for me.

Now that LR has the Touit profile, as well as the awesome perspective sliders with LR5, this lens has become all the more versatile for my needs.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Michael J Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

14.03.15.023  NEX-6, Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color Skopar Classic

Captured this image on a daytrip to Washington, DC, to check out the Garry Winogrand exhibit at the National Gallery.  The exhibit is wonderful, and you should check it out if you have the opportunity.

The exhibit put me in the mood to exercise my street photography chops, and I was happy to have come away from a beautiful, sunny, March Saturday with this keeper.

Michael

-- hide signature --

'One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?

Does anyone mind if I use a photo taken with my RX1? I have a C3, NEX-7, and now A7r... but I quite like this shot I took in March:

Accompanying textis on my blog

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Michael J Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, 7 months ago

Very nice, Martin!  It is (as Pet Clark so beautifully sang) a sign of the times.  I like your blog, too!

Michael

-- hide signature --

'One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael J Hoffman, 7 months ago

Michael J Hoffman wrote:

Very nice, Martin! It is (as Pet Clark so beautifully sang) a sign of the times. I like your blog, too!

Michael

-- hide signature --

Thank you, Michael! Sign 'O The Times indeed

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,343
Like?
In reply to martindesu, 7 months ago

Sometimes I am in awe of nature. This was my sunset last night. It is like God has a paintbrush.

-- hide signature --

Tel Aviv Sunset.
fredyr

DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

A straight OOC jpeg taken a couple days back..

Dolomites, Italy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y27lhm2mfy06ym3/DSC08945.JPG

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

DLeeT
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

Title: OVER PROCESSED CROCUS & PROUD OF IT! 

DLeeT's gear list:DLeeT's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?

Burj Al Arab, Dubai

NEX-7 10-18mm, ISO1600, handheld. The photo was tricky because the vantage point was located on a private members only beach, and I was not in the appropriate social stratum to legitimately gain access. Two security checkpoints needed to be compromised before I was able to get into position.

The precise details of how I got through the checkpoints will of course remain a secret, but I will give this away: a large laundry bag was involved.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,393Gear list
Like?

I'll do two because I created one just to use as an avatar and it's the only selfie I have shot in 2014 and then I'll provide one of my more typical shots (both with A7 and Zeiss 55):

A little background on my next shot.

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) is generally considered one of the best beers in the world. It has a perfect 100 rating on BeerAdvocate.com and on RateBeer.com. We've been trying to find it locally since Founders is a local brewery (a few blocks from our house), but it sold out in less than a minute at Founders. They distributed to local beer shops and I found out too late to get on the waiting list. It's a seasonal beer and won't be around long. I called Founders the other day to see if there was any chance to buy some bottles. Nope. But they had secretly placed it on tap that day and hadn't announced it; they said when the 5:00 workers headed out there would be a mad rush to the brewery. We headed over mid afternoon and finally tried it. It lived up to the hype.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?

Sakura (Cherry blossoms) in Tokyo

ralph m
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?

A sunset shot at the Indian River, Ft. Pierce, Florida on March 11, 2014.  Enhanced a bit in Lightroom for darkening blacks and a some saturation.  Regards.  R.

Florida Sunset - March 2014 (Sony NEX 5N - kit lens)

ralph m
http://remcmillan.smugmug.com/

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,492Gear list
Like?

El Matadurr wrote:

José B wrote:

Hey Matt,

Cheers,

José

Thanks José! And I actually used manual focus for both shots, and typically stick with it for two reasons: the AF of the Touit on the NEX-7 is pretty slow anyway, and when it is compounded with the unfortunate slight back-focusing my copy (and others out there) exhibits, I only waste more time using DMF.

To get critical correct focus to reap all the detail the Touit can provide at f/1.8, it actually turns out MF only is faster for me.

Now that LR has the Touit profile, as well as the awesome perspective sliders with LR5, this lens has become all the more versatile for my needs.

thanks for the focusing tips Matt. I will try MF next time.

cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Frag01
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Alaska Mountains and Lake

Flying into Anchorage early this month I was presented with this view. I especially liked how the side lighting gave depth to the mountains. Taken with a Zeiss 16-40 f/4 mounted to my NEX-7.

Frag01's gear list:Frag01's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +2 more
LouMeluso
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

Portrait of Robert

Sony A7, Canon FDn 100mm f/2

LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
LouMeluso
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to José B, 7 months ago

Paperweight

Sony A7, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

LouMeluso's gear list:LouMeluso's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
In reply to LouMeluso, 7 months ago

LouMeluso wrote:

Portrait of Robert

This portrait is awesome ; O

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,393Gear list
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 7 months ago

pew pew wrote:

LouMeluso wrote:

Portrait of Robert

This portrait is awesome ; O

I like the lighting and processing quite a bit on that portrait. Great capture. Does "Robert" not have any eyelashes?

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads