Nice L-plate for A7 / A7R with Vertical Grip

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
d altman
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Nice L-plate for A7 / A7R with Vertical Grip
9 months ago

I really like having the vertical grip on my A7, and haven't removed it since I got it. I purchased from www.milich.com an L-plate made for use with the vertical grip. It wasn't inexpensive, $140 plus $20 for shipping, but it fits nicely. It arrived from New York to California via USPS in two days. It's a perfect fit with my RRS head.

The only negative I can see is it isn't possible to remove the batteries from the grip with the plate on it. It is easy to remove the plate though, with no Allen wrench. Probably with the design of the grip and how the battery compartment is extended, it isn't possible to get an L-plate designed to be open right there.

I thought I would share with the group here.

d altman's gear list:d altman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7 II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice L-plate for A7 / A7R with Vertical Grip
In reply to d altman, 9 months ago

Thanks bookmarked! Have ordered a vertical grip also. How much heavier do you feel the camera is now you've added this on top of it? I guess this is when you're doing studio/tripod work?

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John A Clark
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?

Looks very industrial, and to some extent, you seem to lose the value of having a smaller body.

I go without the grip, but with a RRS custom plate on the bottom. When I want a L plate, I have an old RRS L plate from a Canon 5D I sold I have mounted a clamp inside it, and simply clamp that to the RRS plate on the A7R ... instant L plate

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

John A Clark's gear list:John A Clark's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
d altman
Like?
In reply to npires, 9 months ago

npires wrote:

Thanks bookmarked! Have ordered a vertical grip also. How much heavier do you feel the camera is now you've added this on top of it? I guess this is when you're doing studio/tripod work?

The grip adds a little weight but makes holding the A7 in any orientation easier and more comfortable, IMO. So even though it adds weight, I don't notice it. The L-plate adds nominal weight, but I will only use it when I am using my tripod.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7 II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +1 more
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?

Thanks! been looking for something like this...

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?
In reply to John A Clark, 9 months ago

John A Clark wrote:

Looks very industrial, and to some extent, you seem to lose the value of having a smaller body.

I go without the grip, but with a RRS custom plate on the bottom. When I want a L plate, I have an old RRS L plate from a Canon 5D I sold I have mounted a clamp inside it, and simply clamp that to the RRS plate on the A7R ... instant L plate

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

I just received my A7 and the first thing that I did was to install the vertical grip.  The second thing was to attach a lens.  Even with the grip the camera is too small for my hands.  I do like the weight savings.  I will need to try this, or a long shot... maybe someone will make a case with the grip installed... doubt it.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?

d altman wrote:

npires wrote:

The grip adds a little weight but makes holding the A7 in any orientation easier and more comfortable, IMO. So even though it adds weight, I don't notice it. The L-plate adds nominal weight, but I will only use it when I am using my tripod.

If it makes holding the camera more comfortable, then why would you only use it when doing tripod work?

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?

d altman wrote:

I really like having the vertical grip on my A7, and haven't removed it since I got it. I purchased from www.milich.com an L-plate made for use with the vertical grip. It wasn't inexpensive, $140 plus $20 for shipping, but it fits nicely. It arrived from New York to California via USPS in two days. It's a perfect fit with my RRS head.

The only negative I can see is it isn't possible to remove the batteries from the grip with the plate on it. It is easy to remove the plate though, with no Allen wrench. Probably with the design of the grip and how the battery compartment is extended, it isn't possible to get an L-plate designed to be open right there.

I thought I would share with the group here.

Thank you.  This is what I have been looking for.  I placed my order and am looking forward to receipt.

LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
d altman
Like?
In reply to Gary H, 9 months ago

Gary H wrote:

d altman wrote:

npires wrote:

If it makes holding the camera more comfortable, then why would you only use it when doing tripod work?

Sorry, my response was confusing. I never remove the grip.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads