XT1 - Truly Superior IQ

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
4 months ago

After reading several favorable reviews I recently bought a Panasonic GX7 thinking it might stack up well to the Fuji X series cameras. I was partly influenced by Luminous Landscape review of the XT1 by Mr. Reichmann in which he wrote "Now, in early 2014, I don't believe that there are significant differences in image quality between major cameras and camera brands with roughly similar MP count sensors."

Turns out that is completely wrong.  I compared pictures of the GX7 with my XT1 with similar settings.  In every case, the XT1 pictures were visibly superior.  Better sharpness and better color rendition.  My experience with the GX7, much like my experience of a year ago with the Oly EM5 was that it has trouble taking truly sharp pictures.  I don't know if that is because of shuttershock or something else.  I even tried the Electronic Shutter option.  But it made little difference.   None of the pictures approached the IQ of the XT1.  So I returned the GX7.

Fuji, it looks like I'm here to stay. Love my XT1.

 Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,674
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

After reading several favorable reviews I recently bought a Panasonic GX7 thinking it might stack up well to the Fuji X series cameras. I was partly influenced by Luminous Landscape review of the XT1 by Mr. Reichmann in which he wrote "Now, in early 2014, I don't believe that there are significant differences in image quality between major cameras and camera brands with roughly similar MP count sensors."

Turns out that is completely wrong. I compared pictures of the GX7 with my XT1 with similar settings. In every case, the XT1 pictures were visibly superior. Better sharpness and better color rendition. My experience with the GX7, much like my experience of a year ago with the Oly EM5 was that it has trouble taking truly sharp pictures. I don't know if that is because of shuttershock or something else. I even tried the Electronic Shutter option. But it made little difference. None of the pictures approached the IQ of the XT1. So I returned the GX7.

Fuji, it looks like I'm here to stay. Love my XT1.

User error?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2289564@N22/

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,000Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

The larger sensor matters.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
4054
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Congrats, and welcome!

 4054's gear list:4054's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

I am a lucky person.  I have just bought an X Pro 1 and an Oly E-M10 and when using primes on both there is very little in the IQ.

I prefer the X Pro marginally and it is the camera I like using the most but I love the O-M10 - it is jewel like in its appearance.

If push came to shove and I had a choice I would keep the Fuji but if someone else decided an left me with the Oly I could quite easily cope.

Enjoy the X-T1 and shame you couldn't keep the GX7 as well so you could have the best of both worlds

-- hide signature --
 dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus OM-D E-M10 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

After reading several favorable reviews I recently bought a Panasonic GX7 thinking it might stack up well to the Fuji X series cameras. I was partly influenced by Luminous Landscape review of the XT1 by Mr. Reichmann in which he wrote "Now, in early 2014, I don't believe that there are significant differences in image quality between major cameras and camera brands with roughly similar MP count sensors."

Turns out that is completely wrong. I compared pictures of the GX7 with my XT1 with similar settings. In every case, the XT1 pictures were visibly superior. Better sharpness and better color rendition. My experience with the GX7, much like my experience of a year ago with the Oly EM5 was that it has trouble taking truly sharp pictures. I don't know if that is because of shuttershock or something else. I even tried the Electronic Shutter option. But it made little difference. None of the pictures approached the IQ of the XT1. So I returned the GX7.

Fuji, it looks like I'm here to stay. Love my XT1.

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,174Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to dannybgoode, 4 months ago

After buying the 23 lens this week I went out in good light today, I already knew that my xpro and xe1 were very good with the other fuji primes but the 23 is a cut above the rest. I`m not boasting but have had a lot of the very best cameras and lenses over the years but These fuji`s have just got a knack of producing corner to corner sharpness, Yes! sometimes post process is a bit touchy but when you get it all right the image IQ is superb. (and they don`t break the camels back)

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

 Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to wyldberi, 4 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Objectively what you say is true.  But I like to compare cameras in the same manner as I will actually use them.  Since I very rarely use a tripod, I never compare cameras that way.  I go out and take a few series of photos using both cameras in the same timeframe.  I take several images of each object/scene.  Then I compare the best photos that each camera has taken of each object/scene..

 Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to fotophool, 4 months ago

fotophool wrote:

User error?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2289564@N22/

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

No doubt many of these photographs are beautiful.  I'm not implying one can't take great pictures with a GX7.  I just think you'll have an easier time doing so with the XT1 (at least between the two samples I was comparing).  Take a look at the Wet Dog on the Hill picture.  I think if it was taken with the XT1, it might have been sharper.

 Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Objectively what you say is true. But I like to compare cameras in the same manner as I will actually use them. Since I very rarely use a tripod, I never compare cameras that way. I go out and take a few series of photos using both cameras in the same timeframe. I take several images of each object/scene. Then I compare the best photos that each camera has taken of each object/scene..

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement.  The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables.  Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,515Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Photo-Wiz wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Objectively what you say is true. But I like to compare cameras in the same manner as I will actually use them. Since I very rarely use a tripod, I never compare cameras that way. I go out and take a few series of photos using both cameras in the same timeframe. I take several images of each object/scene. Then I compare the best photos that each camera has taken of each object/scene..

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

That would only be true for a small sample. The more pictures you take under "normal" conditions, the less it applies, otherwise the differences would randomise.

 57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David28
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

Well said Sal.

Camera technique or more precisely the lack of, becomes very evident when the image is viewed in its fullest size especially in print.  I am of course speaking from personal experience. The online experience is a great deal more forgiving in this respect.

I should stop drinking.  

David

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Photo-Wiz wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Objectively what you say is true. But I like to compare cameras in the same manner as I will actually use them. Since I very rarely use a tripod, I never compare cameras that way. I go out and take a few series of photos using both cameras in the same timeframe. I take several images of each object/scene. Then I compare the best photos that each camera has taken of each object/scene..

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

Sal is precisely correct.

Even if you never use a tripod for field work, testing the relative sharpness of different set-ups using a tripod will go much further in determining which camera produces the sharpest images.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to 57even, 4 months ago

57even wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Photo-Wiz wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

There are any number factors that can decrease image sharpness. To make any sort of accurate comparison, you have to shoot using a tripod and remote shutter release or a manual shutter cable. Even the way in which the camera grip fits your hand can affect the way your finger presses the shutter release button.

The wonderful Fuji lenses help in many cases, as well.

Objectively what you say is true. But I like to compare cameras in the same manner as I will actually use them. Since I very rarely use a tripod, I never compare cameras that way. I go out and take a few series of photos using both cameras in the same timeframe. I take several images of each object/scene. Then I compare the best photos that each camera has taken of each object/scene..

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

That would only be true for a small sample. The more pictures you take under "normal" conditions, the less it applies, otherwise the differences would randomise.

We're talking about testing absolute sharpness, not hand-holding technique randomized testing.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to David28, 4 months ago

David28 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

Well said Sal.

Camera technique or more precisely the lack of, becomes very evident when the image is viewed in its fullest size especially in print. I am of course speaking from personal experience. The online experience is a great deal more forgiving in this respect.

I should stop drinking.

David

Nah, it's Saturday night and we're wild men cruising the forums!  I'll have what your having.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

If we assume this is correct, and I use a tripod perhaps once every 5000 shots, then isn't this type of test meaningful for me as the user?  Why wouldn't I want to know how sharp pictures will be with this particular camera in my hands?  In the end, doesn't it matter more to know how the camera will behave in my hands, shooting in the manner in which I am accustomed (i.e. no tripod)?

I think the fact that I take a series of pictures of each object/scene with each camera, tends to reduce the overall impact of my own personal wobblyness (not sure if there is such a word) -- especially because in the end I compare the best pictures that each camera was able to take.

In this case, believe me I really wanted to like the GX7 better, because I could have saved a few hundred dollars.  I was still in the period in which the XT1 was returnable.  But I decided to keep the XT1 even though it cost more because it yielded significantly better results (at least in these hands of mine).  

 Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

After reading several favorable reviews I recently bought a Panasonic GX7 thinking it might stack up well to the Fuji X series cameras. I was partly influenced by Luminous Landscape review of the XT1 by Mr. Reichmann in which he wrote "Now, in early 2014, I don't believe that there are significant differences in image quality between major cameras and camera brands with roughly similar MP count sensors."

Turns out that is completely wrong. I compared pictures of the GX7 with my XT1 with similar settings. In every case, the XT1 pictures were visibly superior. Better sharpness and better color rendition. My experience with the GX7, much like my experience of a year ago with the Oly EM5 was that it has trouble taking truly sharp pictures. I don't know if that is because of shuttershock or something else. I even tried the Electronic Shutter option. But it made little difference. None of the pictures approached the IQ of the XT1. So I returned the GX7.

Fuji, it looks like I'm here to stay. Love my XT1.

Coming from 4/3 i couldnt agree more.  Theres a clarity the larger sensor and no olpf  delivers that 4/3 cant.  When i do a studio shoot with both formats the Fuji files are vastly superior; i notice the difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,502Gear list
Like?
same here
In reply to historianx, 4 months ago

I was a 4/3 and m4/3 user, shadow noise (at low iso) and details are just not the same with the smaller sensor. I'm happy with both Canon and Fuji now

 kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Re: same here
In reply to kewlguy, 4 months ago

Welcome Photo W.  You got a wonderful camera.  X trans photos simply have a unique look and feel that transcends the sum of it's parts (or charts).  There are a few here who have a problem with X trans for whatever reasons.  But like many, when you see the photos you perceive those unique qualities, a mixture of the colors and sharpness, the way it captures the actual environment.  Some may not perceive it, others may perceive it and don't like it anyway.

Watch out for those who say they are Fuji fans in a big way.  Ask them specifically if they like X trans, the very direction of the company they say they love.

Now, if you want to be blown away, head over to Fliker and search groups for X trans, and get ready for tens of thousands of incredible shots.  Search the XF 23mm, the XF 14, the 35, the 55-200 lenses.  These thousands of photos clearly prove what a special too Fuji has created, and you have seen this for yourself in your own photos already.

It truly is an X trans universe, and I am proud to be a fanboy.  It's okay to be a fanboy if your object of desire is the best.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - Truly Superior IQ
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 4 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

That process is only testing your ability to consistently hold a camera with no movement. The "best" shots are only the ones that randomly had less motion and says nothing about the cameras being tested.

The reason why people test sharpness on a static image with a tripod is to remove the variables. Otherwise you are only documenting which camera might look sharper when the image is motion-blurred.

Sal

If we assume this is correct, and I use a tripod perhaps once every 5000 shots, then isn't this type of test meaningful for me as the user? Why wouldn't I want to know how sharp pictures will be with this particular camera in my hands? In the end, doesn't it matter more to know how the camera will behave in my hands, shooting in the manner in which I am accustomed (i.e. no tripod)?

I think the fact that I take a series of pictures of each object/scene with each camera, tends to reduce the overall impact of my own personal wobblyness (not sure if there is such a word) -- especially because in the end I compare the best pictures that each camera was able to take.

In this case, believe me I really wanted to like the GX7 better, because I could have saved a few hundred dollars. I was still in the period in which the XT1 was returnable. But I decided to keep the XT1 even though it cost more because it yielded significantly better results (at least in these hands of mine).

If you want to know which camera is sharper, remove the variables and test on a tripod.  The only difference in shooting handheld is that you introduce possible  motion blur.  If you want to test to see which camera has sharper motion blur then test shooting handheld.  As mentioned above, there's a difference between testing for absolute sharpness that a camera can produce, and testing one's ability to hold a camera steady.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads