Started 8 months ago | Discussions
lec log
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
70D Multiple exposures
8 months ago

Hello.

I just got my 70D, first DSLR.

I'm trying to find out how to get the 70D to take 7 multiple exposures of same scene and NOT combine them.

I've read and re-read the pdf manual and especially pages starting on 175 to 181 and 365 to 367 but for the life of me can't figure out how to keep my seven bracketed shots of same scene separate.

I have set the amount to 7 and in Camera 4 menu, have Multiple Exposure Enabled.

I want to be able to take the 7 separate shots of same scene into Lightroom for adjustments before combining them.

Please help, is this possible?  I'm totally confused by the manual. Hope I'm missing the obvious.

logan

Santa Cruz, Ca.

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tr573
Regular MemberPosts: 487
Like?
Re: 70D Multiple exposures
In reply to lec log, 8 months ago

Are you trying to take bracketed exposures (each shot a different exposure) or just seven shots at the same exposure?   For the first, you want exposure bracketing, not multiple exposure mode, and for the second just AE lock the scene, or dial it in M, and fire off seven shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lec log
Like?
In reply to tr573, 8 months ago

Thanks for the reply tr573.

That helped.

Seems like that only works in when the top left round button is set to M.

So now it looks like it's keeping them separate, but is there a way to have them all fire off with one push of the shutter button?

Also as a general note: If anybody in the Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Jose area is at least very familiar with all the functions of this camera, I'm will to travel to coffee shop in your area and pay for lessons on this camera. For advanced user who understands especially the bracketing options, I'd be glad to pay up to $50 an hour. I'd assume to it may take 2hrs or more.

Really got to get up to speed without major confusion I'm going through with camera option.

logan

lec log
Like?

Ok, after a half day of my life gone bye, got bracketing to keep separate exposure firing in sequence and they remaining uncombined. The canon pdf manual has wrong info which makes a mine field out of figuring out how the AEB actually works.

Thanks to person that first pointed manual error out on this forum and those who have helped me so far.

I guess I won't jump off that bridge after all.

But still need help taming this new complicated gadget, so if any user who really understands this camera and lives anywhere near Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Jose, area the $50.00/hr to meet with me at a coffee house their area for some training, still stands.  I do have joinme pro, for online meeting, but not sure if that would work??  Any ideas?

logan

Santa Cruz, Ca.

3d4draww@gmail.com

lec log
Like?
Re: 70D Multiple exposures (AEB)

Update:

Things were going along pretty well with 7 exposures producing 7 images of same scene all going off right after another with a continuous drive setting.  Now, somehow there are 7 images per each of the 7 exposures. 7x7 get's me 49 images. I finally figured out what it was doing by scrolling through the 48 images. Every 7th click of the wheel would then bring up the next exposure level, etc.

In other words there would be 7 of exposure 0, 7 at -2, 7at -1 etc.

Once again choas rains on my parade!!

Help Great appreciated.

logan

lec log
Like?

Update: 2

I think this explains it a bit better. Hope that's not against the rules.

Finally got things going along pretty well with 7 different exposures producing 7 images of same scene, all going off right after another with a continuous drive setting. But now, somehow there are 7 copies of each of the 7 exposures. 7x7 ends up with 49 images!. WHAT THE! By scrolling through the 49 images every 7th click of the wheel brings up the next exposure level, etc.

So they're all there, but 7 copies of each exposure.

i.e.  7at 0, 7 at -2, 7at -1 etc, etc.

Any suggestions,guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

logan

TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,330Gear list
Like?

lec log wrote:

Update: 2

I think this explains it a bit better. Hope that's not against the rules.

Finally got things going along pretty well with 7 different exposures producing 7 images of same scene, all going off right after another with a continuous drive setting. But now, somehow there are 7 copies of each of the 7 exposures. 7x7 ends up with 49 images!. WHAT THE! By scrolling through the 49 images every 7th click of the wheel brings up the next exposure level, etc.

So they're all there, but 7 copies of each exposure.

i.e. 7at 0, 7 at -2, 7at -1 etc, etc.

Any suggestions,guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

logan

Do you still have multiple exposure and exposure bracketing turned on?

You just want exposure bracketing. Turn off multiple exposure.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
lec log
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

Thanks for the reply TTMartin

However in Camera 4 just under Dust..is Multiple Exposure; and is set to Disable.

So it must be something else.

Even wild guesses welcome

logan

TTMartin
Like?

lec log wrote:

Thanks for the reply TTMartin

However in Camera 4 just under Dust..is Multiple Exposure set to Disable.

So it must be something else.

Even wild guesses welcome

logan

I would suggest you:

Reset camera settings

and

Clear Custom Functions

These are two different resets in the menu.

Then start over.

edit: if you are using C1 or C2 those maintain all menu settings including custom functions at the time they were saved even if you may have changed those settings in other modes.

Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
lec log
Like?

Under the far right, is the * star, (My menu settings) and I had cleared all that.

But,  missed under the 4th wrench,  "Clear all camera settings".

Seems so simple now, but so many options, so little understanding yet.

Now to try and set up just bracketing again with continuous drive.

Thank you very much TTMartin

Take care.

Be safe out there.

logan

TTMartin
Like?

lec log wrote:

Under the far right, is the * star, (My menu settings) and I had cleared all that.

But, missed under the 4th wrench, "Clear all camera settings".

Seems so simple now, but so many options, so little understanding yet.

Now to try and set up just bracketing again with continuous drive.

Thank you very much TTMartin

Take care.

Be safe out there.

logan

Deleting choices in the 'My Menu' section actually doesn't change any camera settings.

Those are just duplicates of other menu items that allows you quick easy access to the ones you use most often.

Again to clear out the camera there are two other menu resets, the Clear all camera settings' one that you found, there is a second one that Resets any Custom Functions.

If you are still having issues, look for the reset Custom Functions one too.

lec log
Like?

Well,,,, looks like I owe all more than a "cup of coffee" for help on this camera already.
All multiple exposures now cleared from my Bracketed shots.

I got it all set up for Bracketing again with continuous drive firing. Worked just fine for a bit and then, there is this sorta....Wham..Slammed again!

For those who may find this thread, two more things I found out could throw mud at the Bracketed pie, (or single shot).

First; while on Av, I had adjusted the White Balance; C-3 WB Shift/Bkt, which in itself did not cause multiple exposures on each of my Bracketed images as long as it was still a single point on the color adjuster no matter how I moved it around.

However I had forgotten that I used the left/right arrows at the bottom, yep, that's right, duh on my part, where it says Bracket, which causes more of these cute little squares to arrive.

They look innocent enough and are as long as you realize, each one represents an additional color shift "image" for every bracketed (or single) image you take!

Second; At least on my Av set up, (to new at this to know if there are other extenuating circumstances), but when I have "Live View" activated, it does not allow my "drive" setting to fire multiple Brackets, (but will of course a single shot) so I have to switch to View Finder and then auto sequencing works.

Hope makes sense?

logan

TTMartin
Like?

lec log wrote:

Well,,,, looks like I owe all more than a "cup of coffee" for help on this camera already.
All multiple exposures now cleared from my Bracketed shots.

I got it all set up for Bracketing again with continuous drive firing. Worked just fine for a bit and then, there is this sorta....Wham..Slammed again!

For those who may find this thread, two more things I found out could throw mud at the Bracketed pie, (or single shot).

First; while on Av, I had adjusted the White Balance; C-3 WB Shift/Bkt, which in itself did not cause multiple exposures on each of my Bracketed images as long as it was still a single point on the color adjuster no matter how I moved it around.

However I had forgotten that I used the left/right arrows at the bottom, yep, that's right, duh on my part, where it says Bracket, which causes more of these cute little squares to arrive.

They look innocent enough and are as long as you realize, each one represents an additional color shift "image" for every bracketed (or single) image you take!

Second; At least on my Av set up, (to new at this to know if there are other extenuating circumstances), but when I have "Live View" activated, it does not allow my "drive" setting to fire multiple Brackets, (but will of course a single shot) so I have to switch to View Finder and then auto sequencing works.

Hope makes sense?

logan

Glad you are getting it figured out.

If you shoot RAW there is never a reason to bracket WB, as you can change white balance dynamically in post processing. Or as I recall even with the in camera RAW to JPG processing.

lec log
Like?

Hope my little excursion (more like folly) can help someone out.

Once again TTMartin thanks for hanging in there and helping me stay on task.

I'm buying large capacity San Disk Extreme cards to be able always shoot Raw because I've bought Lightroom and LREnfuse, but had not thought much yet about post processing and using Raw only for that.

I use to be a 4x5(etc,) film photographer and had the best drum scanned until about ten years ago.

I'm trying to plan ahead for next step in DSLR, I think the 70D may just be my training wheels.

It's to bad it still has the "High Pass" Filter, I missed that on my research.

Now just waiting for next surprise with this new fangeld machine.

logan

TTMartin
Like?

lec log wrote:

Hope my little excursion (more like folly) can help someone out.

Once again TTMartin thanks for hanging in there and helping me stay on task.

I'm buying large capacity San Disk Extreme cards to be able always shoot Raw.

I use to be a 4x5(etc,) film photographer and had the best drum scanned until about ten years ago.

I'm trying to plan ahead for next step in DSLR, I think the 70D may just be my training wheels.

It's to bad it still has the "High Pass" Filter, I missed that on my research.

logan

When Nikon removed the AA filter from the D7100 it made very little difference. No AA filter is more about sales hype than actual image quality.

DPReview - D7100 OLPF filter omission

When Nikon's reps briefed us on the D7100, they were keen to stress that this 'flagship APS-C DSLR' did away with an optical low pass filter (OLPF); a move we've seen Pentax make with the 16MP K-5 IIs, but a first for Nikon. We were of course curious to discover what potential advantages or disadvantages this offered, however, in a 24MP APS-C sensor.

In principle, removing the image-softening OLPF will result in greater resolution, albeit with a potential increase in intensity of moiré patterning. To investigate this we chose to compare the D7100 with Nikon's D5200, which also has a 24MP APS-C sensor but includes an OLPF. Based on our experience with a similar OLPF-effect comparison we conducted in our earlier Nikon D800/800E review, we suspected that to see any differences would require top-quality optics and we would need to pay very careful attention to camera settings. This was borne out in our testing.

. . .

In short, even if you were willing to put the best glass available on the D7100 and shoot at a wide aperture, you're not likely, even with a lot of effort, to leverage visible benefits of the OLPF removal. While this may be a bit of a disappointment for some, the very good news is that to date we've seen no practical downside to the filter's removal for still photography. It is essentially neutral with regard to image quality.

lec log
Like?

Thanks for the info.

I'll chase that down some other time.

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the reply tr573.

That helped.

Seems like that only works in when the top left round button is set to M.

So now it looks like it's keeping them separate, but is there a way to have them all fire off with one push of the shutter button?

Also as a general note: If anybody in the Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Jose area is at least very familiar with all the functions of this camera, I'm will to travel to coffee shop in your area and pay for lessons on this camera. For advanced user who understands especially the bracketing options, I'd be glad to pay up to $50 an hour. I'd assume to it may take 2hrs or more.

Really got to get up to speed without major confusion I'm going through with camera option.

logan

Try meetup.com and look for photography Meetups. It's way better than an hour in a cafe.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
clearzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513Gear list
Like?
In reply to tr573, 8 months ago

tr573 wrote:

Are you trying to take bracketed exposures (each shot a different exposure) or just seven shots at the same exposure? For the first, you want exposure bracketing, not multiple exposure mode, and for the second just AE lock the scene, or dial it in M, and fire off seven shots.

why we need seven shots at the "same exposure"?

and other choice is just use "continuous shutter" for multiple exposures

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Frontfocus
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
At least u managed to get 4 separate messages on a row :-)

Just kidding of course.

Since it is your first dSLR you have to learn a lot, like everyone else.The positive thing is that it is fun to learn, especially because you can read the manual and experiment as much as you want.
You will see that you will learn very quickly after you learned the basics and get real hands-on experience.

Good luck and enjoy your new cam!

Chris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads