EM-10 Shutter Lag - significantly worse than EM-5?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
EM-10 Shutter Lag - significantly worse than EM-5?
9 months ago

Cnet Australia has a review of the EM-10 where they compare the speeds of various camera operations between the EM-1, the EM-5, the EM-10 and the NEX-7. [http://www.cnet.com.au/olympus-om-d-e-m10-339346498.htm?feed=rss]

The EM-10 comes out very well for RAW and JPEG shot-to-shot (with the faster processor that would make sense) but much, much worse than the other OM-Ds on start up time and - crucially for me - shutter lag:

EM-1: 0.02s

EM-5: 0.04s

EM-10: 0.13s

(The NEX comes out at 0.3 secs.)

Is this just a rogue result, or can anyone confirm it? And if it's genuine, what on earth could be the reason for it?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,620Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-10 Shutter Lag - significantly worse than EM-5?
In reply to Sulis2, 9 months ago

Sounds dodgy. Slower than 1/10th of a second would be pretty obvious in general use, imo.

From imaging resource, the shutter lag is

E-M1 - 0.047s

E-M5 - 0.056s

E-M10 - 0.066s

I suspect that there's a but of margin of error in there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the E-M5 and E-M10 are actually the same speed.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?

There isnt that much shutter lag in the EPL1, and thats an ancient model so they either screwed up or made a mistake.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
In reply to herebefore, 9 months ago

herebefore wrote:

There isnt that much shutter lag in the EPL1, and thats an ancient model so they either screwed up or made a mistake.

There could very well have been a screwup. But if those figures are correct, there is a strong possibility that what you are seeing with the EM10 is something to AVOID the screwup that's been happening for some years.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?

Sulis2 wrote:

Is this just a rogue result, or can anyone confirm it? And if it's genuine, what on earth could be the reason for it?

If its genuine and its fixed, there is one very obvious possibility ..... but I wonder if they had some delay mode on ?

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,469
Like?
I haven't noticed any shutter lag of significance. . .

Maybe it is there, I don't know. But so far, it seems a lot faster and much more responsive than the older cameras I've been used to. I never really lost a shot with my Olympus E30 due to shutter lag anyway.  A couple of times I lost a few with my Olympus E500.   And while it wasn't a major issue with my elderly Canon G3 bridge camera, it did happen with more regularity than I would have liked.  I'm pretty satisfied with the progress in this area.

Could we have reached a point that while the measured differences between cameras might seem great, the practical differences are irrelevant? At this point, this isn't something that concerns me.

-- hide signature --
Blaufeld
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: I haven't noticed any shutter lag of significance. . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 9 months ago

I really want to know how on earth, during camera use a normal human happens to be in a scenario during wich he can detect the differences between 0.02s and 0.13s...

It seems to me more needless number mast****tion.

Blaufeld's gear list:Blaufeld's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,276Gear list
Like?
Fractions do count, in action shooting
In reply to Blaufeld, 9 months ago

Blaufeld wrote:

I really want to know how on earth, during camera use a normal human happens to be in a scenario during wich he can detect the differences between 0.02s and 0.13s...

Split seconds do make a difference in sports shooting — though a 10 fps motor drive, as in the E-M1, is great for "spray and pray."

I was shooting the tie-breaker penalty kicks at our soccer league's semi-finals and I got four frames between first contact and the goal line. That's roughly 4/10 of a second to travel 12 yards.

By extrapolation: 30 yards per second and 61 miles per hour (~100 km/h)… and many sports move at a higher pace — so if you're a one-shot shooter (not me), any excessive shutter lag — including evf/lcd lag — would be important.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,273Gear list
Like?

Sulis2 wrote:

Human reaction time. Take the test. How fast are you? The average time is .215 seconds.

From PC Mag's review:
"The E-M10 is a fast-shooting camera. It starts and captures a photo in about 0.9-second, records a scant 0.05-second shutter lag in good light."

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,469
Like?
Re: Fractions do count, in action shooting
In reply to Barry Stewart, 9 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Blaufeld wrote:

I really want to know how on earth, during camera use a normal human happens to be in a scenario during wich he can detect the differences between 0.02s and 0.13s...

Split seconds do make a difference in sports shooting — though a 10 fps motor drive, as in the E-M1, is great for "spray and pray."

I was shooting the tie-breaker penalty kicks at our soccer league's semi-finals and I got four frames between first contact and the goal line. That's roughly 4/10 of a second to travel 12 yards.

By extrapolation: 30 yards per second and 61 miles per hour (~100 km/h)… and many sports move at a higher pace — so if you're a one-shot shooter (not me), any excessive shutter lag — including evf/lcd lag — would be important.

-- hide signature --

Barry

People who can't learn to anticipate a great action shot and who can't learn their equipment well enough to accommodate a lag of .11 of a second make lousy sports photographers.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know the amount lag in exact terms, particularly in technical and scientific photography where the actual time between trigger stimulus and actual shutter release needs to be an exact known value. This type of information SHOULD be published.

But when dealing with sport and the all too human nervous system and its effect on a photographers ability to respond to stimuli and press the button, I can't believe it holds much relevance at all. Humans can learn to accommodate a gap of .11/sec quite readily.  It's called learning the gear.

-- hide signature --
Jay Newfarm
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Fractions do count, in action shooting
In reply to Glen Barrington, 9 months ago

Could it be that they have left the "playback duration" after recording an image at the default setting?

Sorry, don't remember the exact term used right now, but there is a setting in the menus for this; options 0.5 sec (default), 1 sec, and so on, and then "off". I found that the 0.5 sec viewing time was useless, and worse, that it delayed the next picture I was taking (not necessarily by 0.5 sec, but it was definitely noticable), so I turned it off. Then; everything as snappy as I could wish for.

Edit: Hmm... Tried to verify this. I might have been wrong on this theory. Seems to make no difference now.

Jay Newfarm's gear list:Jay Newfarm's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to baxters, 9 months ago

baxters wrote:

Sulis2 wrote:

Human reaction time. Take the test. How fast are you? The average time is .215 seconds.

Totally irrelevant, since the issue is when you press shutter, how long camera takes to respond, since you already have acted. No matter how much is one's reaction time, once we press the release button we want camera to take the picture, not add another lag.

From PC Mag's review:
"The E-M10 is a fast-shooting camera. It starts and captures a photo in about 0.9-second, records a scant 0.05-second shutter lag in good light."

INteresting the "good light" caveat. What is "good light"? Is the lag then not a shutter issue, but an AF issue. That's a different issue.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
Not something I worry about

The time it takes for the AF to lock on the subject is usually longer than shutter lag time

Saying so there's no noticeable lag on the EM10 shutter that I've noticed

I never once missed a shot due to this factor

I did miss shots more due to the AF not locking onto the main subject though

Don't worry about numbers, it's the practical experience which matters

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads