Sony A7 with Canon 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm F4

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
RER220
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Sony A7 with Canon 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm F4
9 months ago

I recently purchased the new zeiss 24-70 f4 oss FE for my a7. I took it for my trip to AZ to take photos of the canyons. I had mixed feelings about it since a lot of people said it had soft corners, but sharp center. All of that was true. Horrible for landscape, but very usable for everything else. I already own the metabones adapter, so I'm thinking about going back to L glass for landscape. I can't find much reviews on the 16-35 or 17-40 combo on the a7 system. I use to own the 17-40, it was sharp and light, but might consider the 2.8 cause i might want to get into star photography.

I am aware that certain wide angle combos dont work well with the A7, just wondering if you guys can share your thoughts or samples.

If you want to check out my travel blog - i shoot exclusively with the A7 system now and currently own all 3 zeiss lenses excluded the kit of course

Thanks

Ryan

www.LIFEofRI.com

RER220's gear list:RER220's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7 with Canon 16-35mm f2.8 or 17-40mm F4
In reply to RER220, 9 months ago

RER220 wrote:

I recently purchased the new zeiss 24-70 f4 oss FE for my a7. I took it for my trip to AZ to take photos of the canyons. I had mixed feelings about it since a lot of people said it had soft corners, but sharp center. All of that was true. Horrible for landscape, but very usable for everything else. I already own the metabones adapter, so I'm thinking about going back to L glass for landscape. I can't find much reviews on the 16-35 or 17-40 combo on the a7 system. I use to own the 17-40, it was sharp and light, but might consider the 2.8 cause i might want to get into star photography.

I am aware that certain wide angle combos dont work well with the A7, just wondering if you guys can share your thoughts or samples.

If you want to check out my travel blog - i shoot exclusively with the A7 system now and currently own all 3 zeiss lenses excluded the kit of course

Thanks

Ryan

www.LIFEofRI.com

Can not help you with the choice but want to add another option to maybe consider....

Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 in Canon mount may be worthwhile....it is a full frame lens that is also designed for digital.

A few years ago was often considered alongside the 17-40.

I only have it in Pentax k mount so no AF...it seems ok from limited testing....is better as an AF lens and I have some nice MF primes so not wont be used much.....might be a good alternative in Canon AF mount.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?

It's only rangefinder wide angles that don't work well on most digital sensors including the A series (especially symmetical designs)

These Canon zooms will work as well (modulo slower autofocus) as they do on Canon.

However neither is blazingly sharp, if that's what floats your boat: especially in the corners (I only really mention this because the FEzoom has disappointed you)

It floats mine too, a bit. If you don't want to wait and see if the Zeiss wide zoom will be more like their primes and less like their normal zoom (which was constrained I think by the size and weight brief) then I'd go the distagon 21 or 252.5 FE for landscape (assuming the Canon TSEs are too pricey and to large)

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

RER220 wrote:

Thanks

Ryan

www.LIFEofRI.com

I have had the 17-40 for just about 10 years. Used it on crop and FF Canon and now on Metabones III adapter. Although it's not as fast as the 16-35 II it is sharper and has a better range:

I usually put these on the 6D for highest ratings, but it came up this way.

A7 with Canon 17-40/4

The Metabones III adapter allows, exif info, IS, and control of aperture. AF is about 2 seconds.

-- hide signature --

Dave

RER220
Like?
In reply to dbm305, 9 months ago

thats for the input. When you say that the canon lenses aren't as sharp, do you mean on the a7 or generally speaking even on a canon?

you mention the distagon series, do you mean ZE and not FE series? cause they dont make 21mm primes.

Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
RER220
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, 9 months ago

Dave,

I had this lens and i sold it with the 6D when i switched to the A7. I am thinking about getting it again cause its cheaper and lighter.

KwhyChang
Like?

RER220 wrote:

Dave,

I had this lens and i sold it with the 6D when i switched to the A7. I am thinking about getting it again cause its cheaper and lighter.

Just curious why you sold the 6D? I'm sure it does some things much better than the A7. I have a very old 5D.

-- hide signature --

Dave

RER220
Like?

At this point in the game, all cameras do the same things now. I just wanted something smaller and lighter. The more convenient it is to bring around to take those shots.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?

Something else to consider are the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 and the 17-35mm f/4.  The former is better than either Canon L-glass you referenced, but it is quite heavy with a bulbous front element that will not take a filter easily.  The latter is more manageable in size/weight, can take a 82mm filter and is weather-sealed.  I can attest that the Tokina 17-36mm f/4 is built to a higher degree of burliness than my GF's EF 16-35mm f/2.8

The Tokina 17-35mm f/4 can be prone to purple CA at the edges in extreme DR conditions, which can be helped by stopping down to f/8.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
KwhyChang
Like?

RER220 wrote:

At this point in the game, all cameras do the same things now. I just wanted something smaller and lighter. The more convenient it is to bring around to take those shots.

Agree.

Here is a test I did with the A7 and the Canon 24/2.8 IS. It's much smaller, lighter, and a better choice for IQ than the 17-40. I really enjoy this combo:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52781113

-- hide signature --

Dave

RER220
Like?

Good callout, ever since i had the prime FE lenses I've been learning to shoot more like a prime user than a zoom user. Im just sometimes concern that 24mm is not wide enough and if i got a a wide angle prime that it would not get used enough, but the 24mm prime is a good alt. I wonder how the 24L does on the A7?

NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?

RER220 wrote:

Good callout, ever since i had the prime FE lenses I've been learning to shoot more like a prime user than a zoom user. Im just sometimes concern that 24mm is not wide enough and if i got a a wide angle prime that it would not get used enough, but the 24mm prime is a good alt. I wonder how the 24L does on the A7?

The 24L is a nice lens, but it's heavy and large. And you'll likely never shoot it at 1.4 anyway in most cases if you are a landscape shooter. Nice for low light action, and night shots, but in my opinion it's not the best paring for the A7's. If you want ultimate image quality, the 24mm TS-E is the way to go. If you want good portability and a light package at 24mm, the 24mm IS USM is very hard to beat. L lens image quality, in a tight little package. I prefer it to both 24mm L and the TS-E in most cases.

Many people complain about edge quality of the 24-70 FE at 24. Canon's ultra wide angle lenses don't do any better at their respective wide ends, but weak corners are a common characteristic in most UWA lenses, unless you get into primes.

I have not used my 17-40 on my A7r yet for much, but the corners were not stellar on my 5Dmk2. Didn't stop me from making good images though, at least in my perspective anyway. Too many people focus just on sharpness alone. The picture below was taken at f22, to get the longest shutter speed possible to smooth the water out but this limits the sharpness a tad because of diffraction. Its sharp enough for me, however and the content was more to my liking. I am very happy with the 17-40 myself. Supposed to be sharper than the 16-35 as well. I like it because it's weather sealed and light. And for a UWA zoom, it's good. Though from reading a lot of posts in this Sony NEX/Alpha form, it would probably fall well below most people standards!

snug Harbor

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
RER220
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, 9 months ago

I think I'm going to go with the 24mm IS. I loved my 17-40mm/6D combo and the IQ and corners were good enough for me, but do sony users complain cause they are using UWA on the adapters there for causing soft corners or they are just snobs? Can a7 truly bring out the native performance on some lenses anyway

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143Gear list
Like?

RER220 wrote:

Thanks

Ryan

www.LIFEofRI.com

I have the 16-35/2.8L (Mark I), about the same footprint as the 17-40/4L. It performs "reasonable" on my A7R.  For landscape, one can't beat a TS-E lens (I use the 17TSE for both landscape and architecture, but they are not my main interests.)

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads