D800: focus setting for wildlife

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
p m h
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
D800: focus setting for wildlife
5 months ago

Landscape photographer here http://500px.com/protik. Basically zero experience with wildlife photography and AF-S with Single point is the only mode i ever use for landscape photography (well, the truth is most of the time I use contrast detection focus in liveview). However, i've acquired a afs 80-400mm couple of weeks ago and have an opportunity to shoot sandhill cranes this weekend.

So, what focus setting you guys use for wildlife, especially birds in flight?

p m h's gear list:p m h's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,082Gear list
Like?
Re: D800: focus setting for wildlife
In reply to p m h, 5 months ago

p m h wrote:

Landscape photographer here http://500px.com/protik. Basically zero experience with wildlife photography and AF-S with Single point is the only mode i ever use for landscape photography (well, the truth is most of the time I use contrast detection focus in liveview). However, i've acquired a afs 80-400mm couple of weeks ago and have an opportunity to shoot sandhill cranes this weekend.

Firstly, use "Back Button Focusing", or more plainly, use the rear "AF-ON" button for focusing and decouple the focus from the half press shutter. I now use the "AF-ON" button for all my shooting. This way, you can focus and recompose or keep focusing more easily and then press the shutter when it suits you.

Secondly, I use AF-C for birds/animals and switch between single point for stationary birds/animals and either use 9 or 21 point for birds in flight. I have used single point for BIF as well with success, but you need to keep the AF point on the bird as you may lose focus acquisition.

When focusing on the bird, I keep my thumb on the rear "AF-ON" button and then press the shutter at the appropriate time. If using AF-C and 9 or 21 point, just follow the bird and keep your thumb on the rear "AF-ON" button and fire when ready or use Continuous High "CH" or Continuous Low "CL" for number of shutters per second.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
p m h
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lance B, 5 months ago

Thanks Lance. These are great info and will try to put them to use tomorrow.

Now googling to find out what "a3 - Focus tracking with lock-on" settings really means.

p m h's gear list:p m h's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?

Lance B wrote:

p m h wrote:

Firstly, use "Back Button Focusing", or more plainly, use the rear "AF-ON" button for focusing and decouple the focus from the half press shutter. I now use the "AF-ON" button for all my shooting. This way, you can focus and recompose or keep focusing more easily and then press the shutter when it suits you.

Secondly, I use AF-C for birds/animals and switch between single point for stationary birds/animals and either use 9 or 21 point for birds in flight. I have used single point for BIF as well with success, but you need to keep the AF point on the bird as you may lose focus acquisition.

When focusing on the bird, I keep my thumb on the rear "AF-ON" button and then press the shutter at the appropriate time. If using AF-C and 9 or 21 point, just follow the bird and keep your thumb on the rear "AF-ON" button and fire when ready or use Continuous High "CH" or Continuous Low "CL" for number of shutters per second.

Same settings as Lance.  I'd like to know how you make out with this.  Give us an update.  If you happen to be close enough to the cranes ( never seems to happen for me ) that your final images won't be crops, set your AF point or cluster off centre, so that the bird won't be smack in the centre.  Composition wise, it generally looks better if the bird has somewhere to "go" in front of him ( or her I guess )

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
A Further Q For Lance

Lance-

Have you ever tried Dynamic 51 Point or the 3-D AF?

I'm going to a rugby match soon and have had good luck with dynamic 21 point so far.

Any thoughts based upon experience?

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?

AgrEE other the others here AF-C using AF-ON and d9, only way to go with d800

change to single point when shooting static subjects, that it the only change you will ever need to make

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
harshaj1
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
In reply to WIMorrison, 5 months ago

This is what is use for Birds. Here is a blog post I did in the past. Hope this helps

http://harshajphotos.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/photographing-bald-eagles-lock-and-dam-14-mississippi-river-2013/

AF-on button activate the AF.(a4)

Drive mode set to CH(high)

AF-C and Af points to D-9

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Metering- My default metering is matrix metering. I use this for 95% of the time and works well. Only instance when this may not work is when shooting in bright sunny days and the eagle is backlit. In those instances I use center weighted matrix metering.

Harsha

harshaj1's gear list:harshaj1's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,095Gear list
Like?
Re: D800: focus setting for wildlife- Also consider Exposure

p m h wrote:

Hi!

You've already received good advice about focusing, and doubtless, will receive more.

A few words about exposure.

While the different "auto" exposure modes (e.g. Matrix, center weighted, etc) will often work well, some times they don't. MAtrix is usually the best default.

I've been through many times in the past where I've had blown highlights on light colored birds and dark colored birds appearing as featureless black shadows in the sky.

There are so many different lighting situations that it's hard to generalize: Strong back-lighting; harsh direct light on the subject; shadows:, etc.,

If the lighting conditions are very constant, I'll sometimes set the exposure manually.

If I'm shooting light feathered birds, but under quickly varying lighting, I might use an automatic mode like Matrix, but dial in a negative exposure compensation.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you might want to pay more attention to the camera's exposure under some circumstances, than simply setting to Matrix or even spot metering.

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR
1/1250s f/4.0 at 500.0mm iso1600

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR
1/200s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso200

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,TC 14 E II
1/250s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso800

Sometimes the back-lighting is so strong, I'll just say, "The heck with it", and intentionally underexpose to get a silhouetted shot:

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/2500s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso125

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/3200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

Just a few thoughts...

Most of all, have fun!

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
T O Shooter
Like?
Re: D800: focus setting for wildlife- Also consider Exposure
In reply to RBFresno, 5 months ago

RBFresno wrote:

p m h wrote:

Hi!

You've already received good advice about focusing, and doubtless, will receive more.

A few words about exposure.

While the different "auto" exposure modes (e.g. Matrix, center weighted, etc) will often work well, some times they don't. MAtrix is usually the best default.

I've been through many times in the past where I've had blown highlights on light colored birds and dark colored birds appearing as featureless black shadows in the sky.

There are so many different lighting situations that it's hard to generalize: Strong back-lighting; harsh direct light on the subject; shadows:, etc.,

If the lighting conditions are very constant, I'll sometimes set the exposure manually.

If I'm shooting light feathered birds, but under quickly varying lighting, I might use an automatic mode like Matrix, but dial in a negative exposure compensation.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you might want to pay more attention to the camera's exposure under some circumstances, than simply setting to Matrix or even spot metering.

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR
1/1250s f/4.0 at 500.0mm iso1600

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR
1/200s f/6.3 at 500.0mm iso200

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR ,TC 14 E II
1/250s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso800

Sometimes the back-lighting is so strong, I'll just say, "The heck with it", and intentionally underexpose to get a silhouetted shot:

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/2500s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso125

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/3200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

Just a few thoughts...

Most of all, have fun!

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

You certainly can do birds right. Some great shots here.  For exposure, I always meter auto and use exposure compensation.  Dark birds against light back - add some compensation.  Light birds - go to the minus side. I find that keeps it simple.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,082Gear list
Like?
Re: A Further Q For Lance
In reply to Lucky Sky, 5 months ago

Lucky Sky wrote:

Lance-

Have you ever tried Dynamic 51 Point or the 3-D AF?

I'm going to a rugby match soon and have had good luck with dynamic 21 point so far.

Any thoughts based upon experience?

I did try 3-D and 51 Point Dynamic AF a few times for BIF but found it a little less precise, simply because it doesn't really seem to allow focus on the eye of the bird/animal as well as single, 9 or 21 point. As a general rule, it does track well, but focus accuracy for specific points on the subject are a little less precise. However, it might be good for other subjects other than birds in flight, maybe fast moving planes?

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?
Re: A Further Q For Lance

Thanks-

A friend of mine's experience seems to mirror what you've seen..........Think I'll stick with Dynamic 21 Point.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,266
Like?
@ harshaj1 !
In reply to harshaj1, 5 months ago

harshaj1 wrote:

This is what is use for Birds. Here is a blog post I did in the past. Hope this helps

http://harshajphotos.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/photographing-bald-eagles-lock-and-dam-14-mississippi-river-2013/

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Metering- My default metering is matrix metering. I use this for 95% of the time and works well. Only instance when this may not work is when shooting in bright sunny days and the eagle is backlit. In those instances I use center weighted matrix metering.

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

Now, is there a way to store ALL these settings in one of D800 memory and "call" it whenever one wants to use the AF-ON trick ? ...I mean, I usually use AF-S with the normal settings, but I'd like to be able to recall the complete AF-ON "system" only by changing memory # ?

OTOH, iI did try several times the AF-ON trick, but after so many years of habits of pressing the shutter button, I found very difficult to change my habits....  ! ...maybe the old age doesn't help....

J-P.

Photo Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

T O Shooter
Like?
Re: @ harshaj1 !
In reply to JP Scherrer, 5 months ago

JP Scherrer wrote:

harshaj1 wrote:

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

Now, is there a way to store ALL these settings in one of D800 memory and "call" it whenever one wants to use the AF-ON trick ? ...I mean, I usually use AF-S with the normal settings, but I'd like to be able to recall the complete AF-ON "system" only by changing memory # ?

OTOH, iI did try several times the AF-ON trick, but after so many years of habits of pressing the shutter button, I found very difficult to change my habits.... ! ...maybe the old age doesn't help....

J-P.

You can store them, but any changes you make while in there stays.  And I tend to change settings, so why bother.  U1 and U2 of the 600s and 7000s are the way to go, but Nikon doesn't seem to think so.  You should make another attempt with that AF-ON button unless you are happy with how it works now.  Much better. Separates focus from firing

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: @ harshaj1 !
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

JP Scherrer wrote:

harshaj1 wrote:

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

OTOH, iI did try several times the AF-ON trick, but after so many years of habits of pressing the shutter button, I found very difficult to change my habits.... ! ...maybe the old age doesn't help....

J-P.

You can store them, but any changes you make while in there stays. And I tend to change settings, so why bother. U1 and U2 of the 600s and 7000s are the way to go, but Nikon doesn't seem to think so.

You should make another attempt with that AF-ON button unless you are happy with how it works now. Much better. Separates focus from firing

Forefinger on the Shutter Button and Thumb on the AF-ON Button - basically focus by the thumb shoot when ready with the forefinger - helps stabilise the camera too.  With a little bit of practice it becomes second habit - just remember to tell your friends if you ever hand them your camera otherwise lots of OOF photos.  These days I just reverse back to Shutter button Focus before handing my camera to friends because they always insist that I should be in the photos

-- hide signature --

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
JP Scherrer
Like?
@ T O Shooter !
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

...................Now, is there a way to store ALL these settings in one of D800 memory and "call" it whenever one wants to use the AF-ON trick ? ...I mean, I usually use AF-S with the normal settings, but I'd like to be able to recall the complete AF-ON "system" only by changing memory # ?

You can store them, but any changes you make while in there stays. And I tend to change settings, so why bother. U1 and U2 of the 600s and 7000s are the way to go, but Nikon doesn't seem to think so. You should make another attempt with that AF-ON button unless you are happy with how it works now. Much better. Separates focus from firing.

Thanks for responding !

It looks like the D600 (and D7000) settings -or memories systems- are not exactly the same as in the D800: I don't have U1 and U2 !

Anyway, I will try again, just to see if my brain works a bit better (from time to time) !

J-P.

JP Scherrer
Like?
@ mais51 !
In reply to mais51, 5 months ago

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

JP Scherrer wrote:

harshaj1 wrote:

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

J-P.

You can store them, but any changes you make while in there stays. And I tend to change settings, so why bother. U1 and U2 of the 600s and 7000s are the way to go, but Nikon doesn't seem to think so.

You should make another attempt with that AF-ON button unless you are happy with how it works now. Much better. Separates focus from firing

Forefinger on the Shutter Button and Thumb on the AF-ON Button - basically focus by the thumb shoot when ready with the forefinger - helps stabilise the camera too. With a little bit of practice it becomes second habit - just remember to tell your friends if you ever hand them your camera otherwise lots of OOF photos. These days I just reverse back to Shutter button Focus before handing my camera to friends because they always insist that I should be in the photos

Thanks for the quick response and tips !

I did set the AF-ON thing into memory "SHOOT/CUSTOM B" on my D800... but I noticed that the camera ALSO AF when I depress the shutter--button ! Is that normal or is there another setting that "forbid" the shutter-button to AF and only let it take the image ?

J-P.

T O Shooter
Like?
Re: @ mais51 !

JP Scherrer wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

JP Scherrer wrote:

harshaj1 wrote:

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

J-P.

Forefinger on the Shutter Button and Thumb on the AF-ON Button - basically focus by the thumb shoot when ready with the forefinger - helps stabilise the camera too. With a little bit of practice it becomes second habit - just remember to tell your friends if you ever hand them your camera otherwise lots of OOF photos. These days I just reverse back to Shutter button Focus before handing my camera to friends because they always insist that I should be in the photos

I did set the AF-ON thing into memory "SHOOT/CUSTOM B" on my D800... but I noticed that the camera ALSO AF when I depress the shutter--button ! Is that normal or is there another setting that "forbid" the shutter-button to AF and only let it take the image ?

J-P.

Yes there is. That's your problem somewhat. You want AF ON only. Don't have a body in front of me now though

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
T O Shooter
Like?
Re: @ T O Shooter !

JP Scherrer wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

...................Now, is there a way to store ALL these settings in one of D800 memory and "call" it whenever one wants to use the AF-ON trick ? ...I mean, I usually use AF-S with the normal settings, but I'd like to be able to recall the complete AF-ON "system" only by changing memory # ?

You can store them, but any changes you make while in there stays. And I tend to change settings, so why bother. U1 and U2 of the 600s and 7000s are the way to go, but Nikon doesn't seem to think so. You should make another attempt with that AF-ON button unless you are happy with how it works now. Much better. Separates focus from firing.

Thanks for responding !

It looks like the D600 (and D7000) settings -or memories systems- are not exactly the same as in the D800: I don't have U1 and U2 !

Anyway, I will try again, just to see if my brain works a bit better (from time to time) !

J-P.

That was my point. It's on the lower end cameras but unfortunately not on D800, D4

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
mais51
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: @ mais51 !

JP Scherrer wrote:

mais51 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

JP Scherrer wrote:

harshaj1 wrote:

a1 – Release
a3 – Short to Normal
a6 – on
a7 – 51
a8 – off

Harsha

Thanks for the tips !

J-P.

With the D800 you have 4 custom settings banks A, B, C and D, the name of each bank can be changed to reflect the settings

Each bank can be tailored to your shooting style independently.

A could be set for General Photography, B for Landscape C could be set for Portraiture yet the fourth one D can be set to mimic a P&S camera etc. A while a go I came across a website listing the recommended settings for each Custom banks for my D300s.  Thom may have some infor on this issue, you may have to buy his book though

For example:

Custom setting bank A

a Autofocus

a4 AF activation OFF (only AF-ON activates autofocus, shutter activation is locked out)

Custom settings bank B

a Autofocus

a4 AF activation ON (both shutter and AF-ON activates autofocus)

Just remember to select the right Custom settings bank !

J-P.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads