A6000 owners: what's your verdict on low-light/hi ISO IQ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
A6000 owners: what's your verdict on low-light/hi ISO IQ?
9 months ago

Now that everyone is raving about the AF capabilties of the A6000, I wonder how good of IQ it does habe in low-light / hi ISO?

I have seen that a few owners of the legendary Nex 5n have got their hands on the A6000: Being a 5n owner myself, I am curious whether the A6000 can keep up with the 5n's (or Nex6') low-light performance.

What are your impressions so far?

I would be very grateful if someone could post two pictures, one taken with the A6000 and the other taken with one of the older Nex cameras (5n or 6 preferrably), at low light, NR off and perhaps around ISO 3200 (which is the very upper limit for me using the 5n).

Thanks in advance!!

David

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bolshevik
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: A6000 owners: what's your verdict on low-light/hi ISO IQ?
In reply to ottonis, 9 months ago
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?

ottonis wrote:

Now that everyone is raving about the AF capabilties of the A6000, I wonder how good of IQ it does habe in low-light / hi ISO?

I have seen that a few owners of the legendary Nex 5n have got their hands on the A6000: Being a 5n owner myself, I am curious whether the A6000 can keep up with the 5n's (or Nex6') low-light performance.

I would be very grateful if someone could post two pictures, one taken with the A6000 and the other taken with one of the older Nex cameras (5n or 6 preferrably), at low light, NR off and perhaps around ISO 3200 (which is the very upper limit for me using the 5n).

Thanks in advance!!

David

-- hide signature --

Was buried in another thread here and not perfect but Vivaskull on the these French forums does a decent comparison against the NEX6 for various ISOs.  200% crops but keep in mind that as far as I can tell the 24mp a6000 was not downsized to match the 16mp nex6.  I could easily be wrong on this as I'm just using google translate

French

google translated

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 9 months ago

ryan92084 wrote:

ottonis wrote:

Now that everyone is raving about the AF capabilties of the A6000, I wonder how good of IQ it does habe in low-light / hi ISO?

Thanks in advance!!

David

-- hide signature --

Was buried in another thread here and not perfect but Vivaskull on the these French forums does a decent comparison against the NEX6 for various ISOs. 200% crops but keep in mind that as far as I can tell the 24mp a6000 was not downsized to match the 16mp nex6. I could easily be wrong on this as I'm just using google translate

French

google translated

The a6000 is indeed not downsized! And there are less visible artefact's on the a6000 crops!

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

Looking at the skull shelf I prefer the NEX 6 from ISO 400 to 1600, lots more detail, especially at 800 and 1600.  Could be other factors involved.  Like different focus.  Looks like the NEX 6 might kick in noise reduction later or something.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
mountaindrew22
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

I had the chance to try the a6000 at the Toronto fashion. The camera is not available in Canada but the people who organized this workshop at Sony graciously allowed me to try it out We were restricted during the show as we had to sit in one spot, and there were rows of people in front of us so most pictures of the show are boring and/or terrible. The ISO was usually low during the show because of the lighting though, but I made a flickr set of only ISO 3200 pictures. All OOC JPG that were unretouched. Most of the pictures are bad because I was just fiddling with settings and trying them out, so I didn't really focus on what I was shooting...

ISO 3200 on a6000

Leites
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
In reply to mountaindrew22, 9 months ago

Very pleasing results by the way!

Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Looking at the skull shelf I prefer the NEX 6 from ISO 400 to 1600, lots more detail, especially at 800 and 1600. Could be other factors involved. Like different focus. Looks like the NEX 6 might kick in noise reduction later or something.

Eric

Looking at the medicine box, I'd say there's a lot more detail on A6k. The text is more legible at ISO3200 than NEX6 is at 1600.

The skulls themselves do seem to look a bit better on NEX, but given the 3d nature of those, I'd say you're right that there is indeed slightly different focus that's probably more significant than the sensor differences.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,615Gear list
Like?
In reply to mountaindrew22, 9 months ago

mountaindrew22 wrote:

I had the chance to try the a6000 at the Toronto fashion. The camera is not available in Canada but the people who organized this workshop at Sony graciously allowed me to try it out We were restricted during the show as we had to sit in one spot, and there were rows of people in front of us so most pictures of the show are boring and/or terrible. The ISO was usually low during the show because of the lighting though, but I made a flickr set of only ISO 3200 pictures. All OOC JPG that were unretouched. Most of the pictures are bad because I was just fiddling with settings and trying them out, so I didn't really focus on what I was shooting...

ISO 3200 on a6000

thanks for sharing. I was there too (Tuesday event) and I used the same camera and lens. I did not get a chance to shoot a lot of ISO 3200 because the backstage (makeup/hairstyling stations) were slightly brighter than the lobby. There is certainly an improvement in high ISO IQ over my NEX-6 but I doubt it will be a stop difference. I am more concern with the IQ in ISO 100-400 in outdoor lighting because most of the time I shoot in those levels. In any case, I am looking forward to getting my own copy when it comes out.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads