Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.

Started 8 months ago | User reviews
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
Re: Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.
In reply to Dismayed, 8 months ago

Dismayed wrote:

I don't want a D610 with better AF. I want a small-body D4, at a lower price point, of course.

-- hide signature --

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

And I would a a tree that grows money as long as we're taking fantasies that will never happen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
Re: Yet more Nikon bashing...sigh...this is getting VERY old folks.
In reply to camerosity, 8 months ago

camerosity wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

It comes down to what will Nikon do, if anything, to prevent inevitable customer loss because of this.

Frankly, I don't see why people are so against the D800 as the D700 replacement. If 36MP is just too much, move the image size down to 20MP.

The D800 has tremendous improvements over the D700.

- Grip is better.

- Viewfinder is 100%

- Live View is vastly improved

- At 36MP the image quality is far better (ability to crop in is huge)

- Dual card slots (I put all my JPG's on the SD and RAW on the CF - far easier to manage the workflow this way).

I don't miss my D700. Love my D800.

...sorry to burst your bubble, Nikon bashers.

I think it all depends on what the D700 was purchased for. The people who bought one as a general purpose FX camera are more than likely the ones who think like yourself and upgraded to the D800. The ones who bought a D700 as a mini D3/D3s for action shooting are the probably the ones who don't see the D800 as a D700 replacement.

The problem is the latter group doesn't realize the D700 was never really meant to be a mini D3 it was actually meant to be a general purpose camera to compete with the 5D. Unfortunately for Nikon Canon released the 5DII with 21 megapixels and video shortly after the D700 and completely trashed them in the market even though in every other way the two cameras differed D700 was superior. Far better AF wasn't enough, Better metering wasn't enough, more fps wasn't enough, better build quality wasn't enough, a flash system that was generally regarded as better that Canon's version at the time wasn't enough. All that mattered was that the D700 only had 12 mp and to a lesser extent no video. So Nikon made a camera that had all the high end features of the D700 save the fps, the most resolution available in a DSLR, and great video to try to repeat Canon's success with the 5DII. Basically with the D800 Nikon gave the majority of the market what it said it wanted when they bought all those 5DIIs instead of D700s.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arachnophilia
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239Gear list
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to Josh152, 8 months ago
So you think the D800 has less weather sealing than a D700? That seems very unlikely to me. Do you have proof for this?

no, the D600.

 arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks I feel a bit more confident today
In reply to Daniel Bliss, 8 months ago

Thanks,

I find the frame rate plenty fast enough after testing it today and it keeps up with the AFC.

I am finding image quality when I get everything right is brilliant but it does need more care than the D700. A3 Landscape prints are so detailed but not that different from the D700

I have been looking at images at 100% and finding more noise than with D700 but then reduced to image size I am used to it can not be seen.

I owned the D700 for over five years and loved it from day one, I think the D800 requires some time to get used to it and consistently achieve the best from it.

The D800 reminds me of the difference between my Rolleiflex/Hassleblad and 35mm Nikons.

More thought, more care but potential of brilliant results, I will keep practicing and hopefully get there before too long.

Regards

John B

 bowman's gear list:bowman's gear list
Nikon D700
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to arachnophilia, 8 months ago

arachnophilia wrote:

So you think the D800 has less weather sealing than a D700? That seems very unlikely to me. Do you have proof for this?

no, the D600.

So your opinion is that the D600 has less weather sealing than the D700 but the D800 doesn't? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Oh wait a minute I see the problem. Read THIS. Then provide proof that either NIkon is lying on that web page or that D700 has better weather sealing than the D800 or just admit you spoke without knowing what you were talking about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Tell us how you really feel?
In reply to T O Shooter, 8 months ago

In my opinion Nikon has turned into a dumbass company.

Well, obviously you've stated your point. Maybe you are right - maybe not. My bet is that Nikon knows EXACTLY what they are doing.

IMHO, Nikon doesn't care as in they don't give a rat's a ss... I mean, if there was ever any doubt about that, the proof would be how they handled the D600 fiasco. What's it been? A year and 1/2 after it's release and they are finally reacting (after they peeve everyone that bought one even further w/release of the D610)? Again, IMHO Nikon doesn't care. We are now in an era where new cameras come out with such frequency that there are currently 56 different cameras on the market from Nikon (give or take a few).

When Nikon (and Canon) were making film cameras how many SLRs did they make each year and contrast that with the number of DSLRs that Nikon advertises on their site now (17 or so?!?). If folks on this site can't find a camera (or cameras) that do the job then hang on... Nikon will probably release another model next quarter that will frustrate everyone even more...

The truth is that right now these things are essentially disposable and it's a sellers market.

I also believe that Nikon,Canon and others have the ability and technology to do some awesome stuff for photography. I contrast that with a belief that auto manufacturers have the ability to eliminate such a heavy dependence on fossil fuels. But they don't... Ever wonder why?

Here is an example of their ability and why they don't want to do anything (Hint: pay attention to the last paragraph).

That said, if you can't get the job done with the tools that are available now; again, just wait a little while longer and the ones you have today will be obsolete tomorrow...

And for what its worth... I still shoot film with a camera or two that are older than anyone on this site  

 joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
Re: Tell us how you really feel?
In reply to joeybob, 8 months ago

The interesting trend that I notice coming out from reading this thread is that people want an updated D700.

The problem with that idea is that some want updated 12mp, some want the D4 chip in a smaller body (Df anyone?) some have mentioned 24mp... but they don't want the 610 because of it's buttons and build.

So even if Nikon did update the 700, there would be a fair proportion of people who still wouldn't be happy! 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yxa
Yxa
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.
In reply to Adrian Van, 8 months ago

There seem to be a crowd here that hope Nikon is going to release a D700 II.

Nikon will not reuse a single Component from the D700 (excluding fasteners perhaps)

That train has left the station.

The production line of the D700 has been dismantled a long time ago, just after the last D700 had been manufactured.

 Yxa's gear list:Yxa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arachnophilia
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239Gear list
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to Josh152, 8 months ago
So your opinion is that the D600 has less weather sealing than the D700 but the D800 doesn't? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Oh wait a minute I see the problem. Read THIS. Then provide proof that either NIkon is lying on that web page or that D700 has better weather sealing than the D800 or just admit you spoke without knowing what you were talking about.

okay, i could be wrong. my understanding was that there are different tiers of sealing, the D2/3/4 models being the best, with the D200/300/700/800 models coming in second, and the newer, less rugged bodies like the D7000/7100/600/610 in third. but maybe that's complete fluff. i don't know. do you have an evidence that they're exactly the same?

because elsewhere here it's come to light that even component modules that nikon gives the same name might not be the same modules in different cameras (like the CAM 3500 FX in the D700 vs the D3, and the enhanced CAM 3500 FX in the D800 vs the D4). so i wouldn't really read too much into the non-technical website sales-speak nikon puts out.

 arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?
Re: Tell us how you really feel?
In reply to joeybob, 8 months ago

joeybob wrote:

In my opinion Nikon has turned into a dumbass company.

Well, obviously you've stated your point. Maybe you are right - maybe not. My bet is that Nikon knows EXACTLY what they are doing.

IMHO, Nikon doesn't care as in they don't give a rat's a ss... I mean, if there was ever any doubt about that, the proof would be how they handled the D600 fiasco. What's it been? A year and 1/2 after it's release and they are finally reacting (after they peeve everyone that bought one even further w/release of the D610)? Again, IMHO Nikon doesn't care. We are now in an era where new cameras come out with such frequency that there are currently 56 different cameras on the market from Nikon (give or take a few).

When Nikon (and Canon) were making film cameras how many SLRs did they make each year and contrast that with the number of DSLRs that Nikon advertises on their site now (17 or so?!?). If folks on this site can't find a camera (or cameras) that do the job then hang on... Nikon will probably release another model next quarter that will frustrate everyone even more...

The truth is that right now these things are essentially disposable and it's a sellers market.

I'm not following you here. The inventory is piling up, the overall sales are down, we have rebates and sales with predictable regularity. Why is it a sellers market? IMO it is mostly a buyers market except maybe at the very top of the line.

I agree with you that new cameras are made with such frequency that they do seem disposable, even at $2-3K price point, thanks to the marketing machine and the constant desire to have latest and greatest. But ultimately it is up to the consumer. Some people need a new car every year too, though a 10 year old one would take them from point A to point B just fine.

I also believe that Nikon,Canon and others have the ability and technology to do some awesome stuff for photography. I contrast that with a belief that auto manufacturers have the ability to eliminate such a heavy dependence on fossil fuels. But they don't... Ever wonder why?

Here is an example of their ability and why they don't want to do anything (Hint: pay attention to the last paragraph).

That said, if you can't get the job done with the tools that are available now; again, just wait a little while longer and the ones you have today will be obsolete tomorrow...

And for what its worth... I still shoot film with a camera or two that are older than anyone on this site

I echo your sentiment. I don't shoot film, but I feel that Nikon has already made a few cameras which can keep me happy for some time. And the kind of quality you can find these days on the used market at rock bottom prices is almost ridiculous. So, from this perspective alone I'm quite happy that Nikon keeps making new stuff and there are hordes of compulsive upgraders who keep dumping their magnificent equipment in great condition for a penny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Tell us how you really feel?
In reply to joeybob, 8 months ago

joeybob wrote:

In my opinion Nikon has turned into a dumbass company.

Well, obviously you've stated your point. Maybe you are right - maybe not. My bet is that Nikon knows EXACTLY what they are doing.

Real glad you're betting with your money and not mine.  I'd lay my money down on them being a confused, lost company. Lost as in not being on the correct path or not knowing what the correct path is.  And that's not based on whether they make a D700II or not!  

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to arachnophilia, 8 months ago

arachnophilia wrote:

So your opinion is that the D600 has less weather sealing than the D700 but the D800 doesn't? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Oh wait a minute I see the problem. Read THIS. Then provide proof that either NIkon is lying on that web page or that D700 has better weather sealing than the D800 or just admit you spoke without knowing what you were talking about.

okay, i could be wrong. my understanding was that there are different tiers of sealing, the D2/3/4 models being the best, with the D200/300/700/800 models coming in second, and the newer, less rugged bodies like the D7000/7100/600/610 in third. but maybe that's complete fluff. i don't know. do you have an evidence that they're exactly the same?

because elsewhere here it's come to light that even component modules that nikon gives the same name might not be the same modules in different cameras (like the CAM 3500 FX in the D700 vs the D3, and the enhanced CAM 3500 FX in the D800 vs the D4). so i wouldn't really read too much into the non-technical website sales-speak nikon puts out.

So you don't have any proof.  You are just assuming Nikon is lying because it fits what you want to be true.   Though I suspect the truth is you really didn't know that the D600 was supposed to have the same level of weather sealing as the D800 and are now trying to save face instead of just admitting you didn't know what you were talking about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Re: Tell us how you really feel?
In reply to T O Shooter, 8 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

joeybob wrote:

In my opinion Nikon has turned into a dumbass company.

Well, obviously you've stated your point. Maybe you are right - maybe not. My bet is that Nikon knows EXACTLY what they are doing.

Real glad you're betting with your money and not mine. I'd lay my money down on them being a confused, lost company. Lost as in not being on the correct path or not knowing what the correct path is. And that's not based on whether they make a D700II or not!

T O Shooter wrote:

And for what it's worth, I have a D700 , D800e , D4 . And for a short period I had a D600 and D3s .

Sounds as if you already bet your money too...  Why would you bet so heavily on a "Dumbass, confused, lost company"?

 joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arachnophilia
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239Gear list
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to Josh152, 8 months ago

So you don't have any proof. You are just assuming Nikon is lying because it fits what you want to be true. Though I suspect the truth is you really didn't know that the D600 was supposed to have the same level of weather sealing as the D800 and are now trying to save face instead of just admitting you didn't know what you were talking about.

yeesh, sorry for being wrong on the internet. i had no idea it would ruin your day.

 arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508
Like?
Why?
In reply to ScottRH, 8 months ago

ScottRH wrote:

Fact remains.

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

If the D700 has the trick AF,  the perfect sensor, the frames per second, the ergonomics, the build quality...

Why do they want a replacement?  The posts do not start with my last D700 body died a permanent death and I have 7  f2 or faster mint primes.

It would seem for folks asking for great AF, 24MP,  the option of a grip  for 3G's-  the obvious answer is the Canon 5D3. If the poster whose figures show the average Nikon owner  has 1.5 lenses,  changing brands  is no heartache.

The actual facts via a chart currently on Amazon - the D800 is less $ than a D700 new,   has more MP (36 vs. 12),  bigger LCD (3.2 vs 3),  better storage, is smaller, weighs less,  and FPS  are 4 vs. 5. Wow.  Frankly , if that one frame per second difference kills the ability to get the shot,  you're inept.

By all criteria as I read it  the D800 is the upgrade to the D700 except for 1 less frame per second.  1.

Of course Amazon could have all the facts wrong.  Ya'll need a 710.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to DenWil, 8 months ago

DenWil wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Fact remains.

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

If the D700 has the trick AF, the perfect sensor, the frames per second, the ergonomics, the build quality...

Why do they want a replacement? The posts do not start with my last D700 body died a permanent death and I have 7 f2 or faster mint primes.

It would seem for folks asking for great AF, 24MP, the option of a grip for 3G's- the obvious answer is the Canon 5D3. If the poster whose figures show the average Nikon owner has 1.5 lenses, changing brands is no heartache.

The actual facts via a chart currently on Amazon - the D800 is less $ than a D700 new, has more MP (36 vs. 12), bigger LCD (3.2 vs 3), better storage, is smaller, weighs less, and FPS are 4 vs. 5. Wow. Frankly , if that one frame per second difference kills the ability to get the shot, you're inept.

By all criteria as I read it the D800 is the upgrade to the D700 except for 1 less frame per second. 1.

Finally - good to see a fellow who has this all figured.  So the D800 IS the replacement for the D700.  So many missed that.  I guess the 1 fps was the thing that threw them off.  Glad this is finally resolved.  And it only took one genius to figure it out!    

Of course Amazon could have all the facts wrong. Ya'll need a 710.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to DenWil, 8 months ago

DenWil wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Fact remains.

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

If the D700 has the trick AF, the perfect sensor, the frames per second, the ergonomics, the build quality...

Why do they want a replacement? The posts do not start with my last D700 body died a permanent death and I have 7 f2 or faster mint primes.

It would seem for folks asking for great AF, 24MP, the option of a grip for 3G's- the obvious answer is the Canon 5D3. If the poster whose figures show the average Nikon owner has 1.5 lenses, changing brands is no heartache.

The actual facts via a chart currently on Amazon - the D800 is less $ than a D700 new, has more MP (36 vs. 12), bigger LCD (3.2 vs 3), better storage, is smaller, weighs less, and FPS are 4 vs. 5. Wow. Frankly , if that one frame per second difference kills the ability to get the shot, you're inept.

By all criteria as I read it the D800 is the upgrade to the D700 except for 1 less frame per second. 1.

Of course Amazon could have all the facts wrong. Ya'll need a 710.

The D700 actually goes up to 8 fps with grip. But your other point stands -- if D700 is so good all around why would you want an update. I still haven't figured this out and continue using D700 quite happily.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,901Gear list
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to T O Shooter, 8 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

DenWil wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Fact remains.

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

By all criteria as I read it the D800 is the upgrade to the D700 except for 1 less frame per second.

No it's 4, but why let details get in the way of the argument.

1.Finally - good to see a fellow who has this all figured. So the D800 IS the replacement for the D700. So many missed that. I guess the 1 fps was the thing that threw them off. Glad this is finally resolved. And it only took one genius to figure it out!

It's the usual "Well I don't need it so you shouldn't need it either" argument that bugs the poop out of me.

And of course, the person who doesn't do what I do who tells me what I should and shouldn't want.

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

 Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Samsung NX1000 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, 8 months ago

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

DenWil wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Fact remains.

It is clear customers want a D700 replacement, and the D610, D800/E, and D4s are not it.

By all criteria as I read it the D800 is the upgrade to the D700 except for 1 less frame per second.

No it's 4, but why let details get in the way of the argument.

1.Finally - good to see a fellow who has this all figured. So the D800 IS the replacement for the D700. So many missed that. I guess the 1 fps was the thing that threw them off. Glad this is finally resolved. And it only took one genius to figure it out!

It's the usual "Well I don't need it so you shouldn't need it either" argument that bugs the poop out of me.

And of course, the person who doesn't do what I do who tells me what I should and shouldn't want.

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

+1

Bring on the D700 and D300s replacements !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,789
Like?
Re: Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.
In reply to Adrian Van, 7 months ago

Adrian Van wrote:

Nikon D700 still is a great camera. Nikon should update this camera to a D750 with 24MP and professional pro body and top AF. A modest increase in resolution to 24MP for Raw, not 36MP.

That said, the D700 still provides incredible image quality, descent dynamic range, great color, crisp images at 12 MP, (when using pro lenses like Nikon 24-70mm or 24-120, primes etc.) and excellent build quality and control features. One of Nikon's best and most popular cameras.

For taking large volumes of images (like a thousand in a day at an all day event), the D700 camera is still a great choice for pros, for faster workflow, and not being bogged down by the 36MP file sizes (especially Raw) of D800. They need to put the 24MP sensor of a D610 into a D750 pro body to be an ideal pro camera of today, for event shooters and journalists and wedding photographers, who 24MP would be more than enough (with bump of added detail capture or resolution). The Canon 5D Mark 3 has the right MP. A D750 makes sense for Nikon to put out one day. Most of us, do not want to spend the money on a D4 (sorry Nikon) as great as a D4 is. Make a D800 and a D750 (with rugged pro build quality and features, and fast CF cards, not SD) at around the same price, and see many pros buy one or the other. Nikon, you may be surprised. Wishful thinking on my part.

Until then, still loving my D700, and it holds it own with most current FF cameras for colour image quality for great prints. Nikon, thank you for making that great camera! Although the D800 is also a great camera, just wishing its Raw files would capture at 24MP for reasonable file sizes. The D610 lacks only the pro body build and button features and top AF system (great sensor though).

This isnt a review. This post mentioned other cameras and features a hell lot mroe than D700 itself and what it actually has. It is a nostalgia piece where the author is telling himself how D700 isnt quite yet irrelevant, and a rant piece complaining the lack of a modern 3000 USD 8FPS FF body, and a wish piece about what the author want such a body to have.

DPR should really do a bit more minotoring this type of reviews.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads