D700 selector button not working - suggestions?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,609
Like?
D700 selector button not working - suggestions?
5 months ago

Has anyone any experience of the thumb selector arrows not working?

The move left function on mine has suddenly stopped (maybe one raindrop too many). I first noticed when in the menu system and couldn't click onto the left hand icons in the list to change screens, though found that clicking the menu button does that, so not a problem.

When shooting I can't move the focus select to the left (not a biggie) or check focus on layback on anything to the left - that was frustrating.

It is doing to have to go in to nikon UK or similar, well out of warranty. Has anyone any suggestions before I send it off - first time I've had to do this.

Or could there be a dead ant in the works that I could clear myself - I don't want to even consider this if there's a reasonable risk I'll cure that but make something else worse!

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,757
Like?
Re: D700 selector button not working - suggestions?
In reply to jkjond, 5 months ago

jkjond wrote:

The move left function on mine has suddenly stopped (maybe one raindrop too many). I first noticed when in the menu system and couldn't click onto the left hand icons in the list to change screens, though found that clicking the menu button does that, so not a problem.

When shooting I can't move the focus select to the left (not a biggie) or check focus on layback on anything to the left - that was frustrating.

It is doing to have to go in to nikon UK or similar, well out of warranty. Has anyone any suggestions before I send it off - first time I've had to do this.

Or could there be a dead ant in the works that I could clear myself - I don't want to even consider this if there's a reasonable risk I'll cure that but make something else worse!

Send it to Nikon, they will fix it for you. Unless of course if you want to use this as an excuse for a new camera...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SAkp
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

As a workaround - temporary or otherwise - you can set AF point selection to wrap around. You can then get to the AF points left of centre without too much trouble.

Custom setting a7.

SAkp's gear list:SAkp's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948Gear list
Like?
In reply to SAkp, 5 months ago

SAkp wrote:

As a workaround - temporary or otherwise - you can set AF point selection to wrap around. You can then get to the AF points left of centre without too much trouble.

Custom setting a7.

This was one of those things I hear sometimes and thing "Gee, why didn't I think of that?"  Great suggestion.

Regarding the camera, that doesn't really sound to me like the sort of thing that's going to fix itself.  And the idea of blowing canned air or contact cleaner into the switch, which might actually fix the switch, strikes me as too likely to make something else a whole lot worse.

I think you're just doomed to a service trip.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

jkjond
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 5 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Send it to Nikon, they will fix it for you. Unless of course if you want to use this as an excuse for a new camera...

I hope it doesn't come to new camera time, that requires decisions at a higher level and more dosh, though it does bother me how much nikon may charge for a niggling problem that I can almost live with.

-- hide signature --

jkjond
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 5 months ago

coronawithlime wrote:

SAkp wrote:

Custom setting a7.

This was one of those things I hear sometimes and thing "Gee, why didn't I think of that?" Great suggestion.

Yup, thanks SAkp - done that now - I recall wondering that focus wrap meant when I first  got the camera! Do you know if there's a image review wrap too? I can't find one.

Regarding the camera, that doesn't really sound to me like the sort of thing that's going to fix itself. And the idea of blowing canned air or contact cleaner into the switch, which might actually fix the switch, strikes me as too likely to make something else a whole lot worse.

I think you're just doomed to a service trip.

:~(

If I can find a review wrap I'll live with it.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

-- hide signature --

SAkp
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

jkjond wrote:

Yup, thanks SAkp - done that now - I recall wondering that focus wrap meant when I first got the camera! Do you know if there's a image review wrap too? I can't find one.

YW. I believe image review wraps by default on all the Nikons. Also, as far as image review I have another one for you. Custom setting f9, Menus and Playback, On. This lets you use the main command dial for Previous and Next during image review, and in general use the command dials for a whole bunch of other things in lieu of the multi selector.

SAkp's gear list:SAkp's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF
jkjond
Like?
In reply to SAkp, 5 months ago

SAkp wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Yup, thanks SAkp - done that now - I recall wondering that focus wrap meant when I first got the camera! Do you know if there's a image review wrap too? I can't find one.

YW. I believe image review wraps by default on all the Nikons. Also, as far as image review I have another one for you. Custom setting f9, Menus and Playback, On. This lets you use the main command dial for Previous and Next during image review, and in general use the command dials for a whole bunch of other things in lieu of the multi selector.

Thanks again. I was aware of the command dial option for selecting images and use it all the time - it is really strange when someone else's camera doesn't do it! But my image review doesn't wrap. Hacking the firmware and using the front scroll wheel would do nicely.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads