Mike Hession reviews X-T1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
JoeWillie
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Mike Hession reviews X-T1
6 months ago
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Maximus176
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike Hession reviews X-T1
In reply to JoeWillie, 6 months ago

JoeWillie wrote:

http://reframe.gizmodo.com/fujifilm-x-t1-review-feast-for-the-eyes-frustration-f-1530647025

He's really to the point, isn't he?

Its another review, by someone that does not own the camera.

I'm not a fanboy by any means the Fuji has shortcomings but which camera doesn't. My only real gripe after 4 weeks of use, is the video button is too easily turned on, especially when adjusting the exposure compensation whilst the camera is at the eye. I expect that to be remedied with a firmware update.

I love the dials, they are easy to manage and the D pad has the right feel for me, but then I don't have fingers like cuban cigars. I have found using it to be a totally pleasurable experience, of course I could find fault somewhere but the faults are really minor. The way Fuji have approached camera design is not perfect but its much better than some others, where operations become severly limited by kludgy menu's.

I thought the X pro 1 to be one of the best cameras I have used, but the Xt1 is a little better.

Maximus176's gear list:Maximus176's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maximus176, 6 months ago

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

http://reframe.gizmodo.com/fujifilm-x-t1-review-feast-for-the-eyes-frustration-f-1530647025

Do you complain when DPR does a review?  They don't own the cameras either.

The gizmodo review was very non biased.  I can see why it gets panned here.

I'm not a fanboy by any means the Fuji has shortcomings but which camera doesn't. My only real gripe after 4 weeks of use, is the video button is too easily turned on, especially when adjusting the exposure compensation whilst the camera is at the eye. I expect that to be remedied with a firmware update.

I love the dials, they are easy to manage and the D pad has the right feel for me, but then I don't have fingers like cuban cigars. I have found using it to be a totally pleasurable experience, of course I could find fault somewhere but the faults are really minor. The way Fuji have approached camera design is not perfect but its much better than some others, where operations become severly limited by kludgy menu's.

I thought the X pro 1 to be one of the best cameras I have used, but the Xt1 is a little better.

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

Phil Levy
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeWillie, 6 months ago

I can't understand the problem with the locking ISO dial - if it wasn't locked people would complaining it could be accidentally moved. It is quite possible to change ISO with your thumb and 2nd finger whilst pressing the button with your index finger. I can hold the camera with my right hand quite steadily doing this. I prefer it to be locked.

-- hide signature --

www.phillevy.co.uk

Phil Levy's gear list:Phil Levy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phil Levy, 6 months ago

I don't have a problem with the review, that's how he feels about it. In his mind was the E M1 which he considers to be a better camera. That is difficult to argue. As a system i prefer the Fuji system but understand his dislikes about some of the controls. 
Point is that after a week of use these negatives fades away, it is like learning to play a piano.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 6 months ago

You are not right again:

First of all people do complain about DPR reviews and second all reviews are biased!

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
Zebadee69
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
In reply to gotompoes, 6 months ago

Totally agree, that's why these reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt when they talk about the functional design of a camera. After using the XT1 for a week the button placement became second nature to use for me and I admit it was a learning curve coming from a Nikon.

Zebadee69's gear list:Zebadee69's gear list
RX100 III Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +1 more
masterofdeception
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

Do you complain when DPR does a review? They don't own the cameras either.

The gizmodo review was very non biased. I can see why it gets panned here.

Define "panned".  I don't see any "panning" of the gizmodo review in the two posts before yours.  Boy oh boy, you DO have a chip on your shoulder about this forum don't you?  The only bias I see is your own.

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Anonymous

This from the guy who said al Canon macros with usm are fast.  I noticed no response when I pointed out the 60mm Canon macro usm as slow.  I owned it, and it can be very slow.

taz98spin
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maximus176, 6 months ago

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

Yes, the X-PRO1 is still the best camera in my hands!

-- hide signature --
 taz98spin's gear list:taz98spin's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S +8 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to gotompoes, 6 months ago

gotompoes wrote:
Point is that after a week of use these negatives fades away, it is like learning to play a piano.

Piano? A week? Oh lawks, I'm in trouble then

I agree with the principle of what you say - I've said it time and again, 24 hours is wildly insufficient to get a proper feel for any modern high-end camera, let alone a Fuji X.

There have been countless threads filled with dismay from people who've used the X-T1 for a day; their comments are completely worthless, imo. Let them use it for a month, day in day out in a wide range of circumstances, then their critique would have some weight.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to DocetLector, 6 months ago

DocetLector wrote:

You are not right again:

First of all people do complain about DPR reviews and second all reviews are biased!

Do they complain that DPR doesnt own the cameras that they review?  Nope.

-- hide signature --

Anonymous

WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

So we have another review, one that shows that the reviewer prefers another camera and the X-T1 isn't his type of camera, so what, whats new. I could show 20 more reviews of reviewers, which I did earlier where they love the camera and where they also show its shortcomings as every camera has some, but they still like it. Again so what. The X-T1 isn't for everyone, if its not don't buy it , don't waste time on it and don't worry about those who actually like it and are using it, which there seems to be a lot of folks still waiting for it, everywhere I have checked there are still back orders and orders still coming in.The thing is , the ones who want it or have it, are right about it and the ones who don't have it and don't want it are also right about it. If you check a comment of one of his readers who has the camera, he disagrees with much of the reviewer says, is he wrong , no, but neither is the reviewer, different strokes for different folks. Mine has just come in and I am right about it, so what.   WC

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
masterofdeception
Like?
In reply to WCguy, 6 months ago

WCguy wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

So we have another review, one that shows that the reviewer prefers another camera and the X-T1 isn't his type of camera, so what, whats new. I could show 20 more reviews of reviewers, which I did earlier where they love the camera and where they also show its shortcomings as every camera has some, but they still like it. Again so what. The X-T1 isn't for everyone, if its not don't buy it , don't waste time on it and don't worry about those who actually like it and are using it, which there seems to be a lot of folks still waiting for it, everywhere I have checked there are still back orders and orders still coming in.The thing is , the ones who want it or have it, are right about it and the ones who don't have it and don't want it are also right about it. If you check a comment of one of his readers who has the camera, he disagrees with much of the reviewer says, is he wrong , no, but neither is the reviewer, different strokes for different folks. Mine has just come in and I am right about it, so what. WC

I didn't read all of this. I'm not saying it's wrong but it sent me to sleep after the first sentence.  Can we please have shorter to the point responses?  Thanks.

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
In reply to masterofdeception, 6 months ago

I don't agree with this guy but can understand where he is coming from.

The truth is that no one camera design will suit everyone.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
masterofdeception
Like?
In reply to Acrill, 6 months ago

Do you mean Graham? Explain where he's coming from? I'd love to know.

masterofdeception
Like?

Ah ok  guess you mean the guy who did the review?  Yes well, that's his opinion and it's way better than mine as I've never owned an XT-1!  I'm sure he's right/wrong depending on your point of view. Sorry if that's what you meant.

masterofdeception
Like?

Sorry to paraphrase, but:

If you like the XT-1, good.

If you don't, good.

Thank you.

masterofdeception wrote:

WCguy wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

So we have another review, one that shows that the reviewer prefers another camera and the X-T1 isn't his type of camera, so what, whats new. I could show 20 more reviews of reviewers, which I did earlier where they love the camera and where they also show its shortcomings as every camera has some, but they still like it. Again so what. The X-T1 isn't for everyone, if its not don't buy it , don't waste time on it and don't worry about those who actually like it and are using it, which there seems to be a lot of folks still waiting for it, everywhere I have checked there are still back orders and orders still coming in.The thing is , the ones who want it or have it, are right about it and the ones who don't have it and don't want it are also right about it. If you check a comment of one of his readers who has the camera, he disagrees with much of the reviewer says, is he wrong , no, but neither is the reviewer, different strokes for different folks. Mine has just come in and I am right about it, so what. WC

I didn't read all of this. I'm not saying it's wrong but it sent me to sleep after the first sentence. Can we please have shorter to the point responses? Thanks.

DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?

But I think it does make a big difference if someone like DPR is doing a in depht review -  compared to a guy who is obviously writing his opinion about a camera. You can clearly see that - he doesn`t like the XT1 because it is not working the way he wants it and is familiar to. I think professional reviewers are usually more open minded and can easier cope with different systems.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

masterofdeception wrote:

WCguy wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

JoeWillie wrote:

I didn't read all of this. I'm not saying it's wrong but it sent me to sleep after the first sentence. Can we please have shorter to the point responses? Thanks.

Really and who are you? Nobody is breaking your arm, if my comments are too long for your short memory, don't bother reading them.The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is the pretense of intelligent ignorance. Is that short enough and to the point for you?     WC

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads