Are you worried about light leak in your X-T1?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
Are you worried about light leak in your X-T1?
6 months ago

Seems like best left alone, no?

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,464Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you worried about light leak in your X-T1?
In reply to photo perzon, 6 months ago

I checked mine with a torch and it's fine so I'm no longer worried.

If I was I would send it back to Fuji as I am assured their customer service is second to none.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimbofoxman
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?

I'm not worried about it, but I will probably still send it in anyway since I still have my Canon stuff to shoot with in it's absence.  To me people aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.  Quit shinning a fricken light in there!  Same thing with the 4 way control pad on the back.  I don't see anything wrong with it...but maybe it's because I have basketball fingers and not sausages for fingers.

jimbofoxman's gear list:jimbofoxman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299Gear list
Like?

I am not the least bit worried.

• The problem only exists for very long shutter times, which I don't use. The compartment access door is sealed so even in extremely bright light with normal shutter times the problem is negligible. 
  • If I did need very long shutter times, I would need a tripod. When the camera is on a tripod, and when the access door must be open I could drape a black cloth over the remote cord/compartment. Many experienced photographers who use very long shutter times cover their cameras with a black cloth anyway.
  • Fujifilm will fix the problem.

I will get my body fixed eventually, but I'm in no rush to do it.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,999Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimbofoxman, 6 months ago

jimbofoxman wrote:

I'm not worried about it, but I will probably still send it in anyway since I still have my Canon stuff to shoot with in it's absence. To me people aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. Quit shinning a fricken light in there! Same thing with the 4 way control pad on the back. I don't see anything wrong with it...but maybe it's because I have basketball fingers and not sausages for fingers.

Shine the damn light in there. At least you'll know if you have the issue. If you don't all is good. If you do, you have to decide whether to send it in or not. If you don't do long exposures with a remote, you'd probably never have the door open in a situation where it would come into play so you might decide not to. OTOH, if you have the problem, you're probably better off sending it in for the repair so that if you try to sell the camera later, you can honestly say it doesn't have the problem. In addition to which, some folks who send it in seem to find that the feel of the four way controller has improved when they get it back - that's a bigger deal to some than others, but again not a bad thing to have had done when it comes to selling the camera down the road. OTOH, if you plan to keep it forever, no need to worry.

I shone the light in there. I didn't have a problem. But I'm glad I checked. Now I'll never give it another thought...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Seems like best left alone, no?

Fuji is doing a good job of fixing the issue, why would you leave it alone?

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
wooly1
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to wchutt, 6 months ago

wchutt wrote:

I am not the least bit worried.

• The problem only exists for very long shutter times, which I don't use. The compartment access door is sealed so even in extremely bright light with normal shutter times the problem is negligible.
  • If I did need very long shutter times, I would need a tripod. When the camera is on a tripod, and when the access door must be open I could drape a black cloth over the remote cord/compartment. Many experienced photographers who use very long shutter times cover their cameras with a black cloth anyway.
  • Fujifilm will fix the problem.

I will get my body fixed eventually, but I'm in no rush to do it.

You do not need long shutter times or bright lights to see if you have the light leak, with mine you left the lens cap on , opened the side door and in normal daylight inside my office without any lights turned on, the purple intrusion was quarter way across the screen - If you have got it -you have got it. Mine has just been returned by Fuji UK, full return time 8 days which I thought was excellent plus they sent the packaging and paid for the postage, I couldn't ask for more.

I know these are retro cameras but I didn't think this extended as far as using the black cloth draped over your head, Fuji should supply one in the kit!! Where's their telephone number again!

wooly1's gear list:wooly1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
CrazyCanuk
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to wooly1, 6 months ago

wooly1 wrote:

I know these are retro cameras but I didn't think this extended as far as using the black cloth draped over your head, Fuji should supply one in the kit!! Where's their telephone number again!

What do you think the lens cloth pouches are for ?  

cyip0
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

I haven't bothered checking mine. My X-T1's serial number is in the range. I will eventually send it in but I'm not in a rush as I'm still enjoying the camera.

cyip0's gear list:cyip0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?

My TX1 - SN: 27XX has the issue, big time.  I'm not "worried" about it because I don't (or at least have not yet) done the sorts of photography with the camera where the light leak becomes a problem.  Nor, am I especially concerned about the effect of the problem on resale value, because it is very rare I sell camera equipment.

However, I did buy and pay for a product without manufacturing defects and that's not what I got (an honest error for sure, but still a significant defect).  Also, I buy through Amazon because they stand behind what they sell. I've bought tons of stuff through Amazon (when you live in the sticks, mail order is how one shops), but have never returned or exchanged anything before.  Nonetheless, the ability to do that if there is a problem is part of what I pay for with Amazon.

Therefore, I have commenced the exchange process with Amazon.  I am hoping to get the new body (hopefully not in the affected serial number range) before I must send in my existing TX1 body in late April.  That way I won't be without the use of the camera (I hope).

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947Gear list
Like?

Mine had a very important leak which was viisible in my living room with the door open to operate the RR 9 USB distant shutte rrelease

See my post http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53383637 It's so easy to have it fixed  that this should not prevent to have it done

Whe you want in 2 years to sell the cam, potential buyers could argue about it

If you think either your's has a minute leak and or you willnever open the door you might want just to ignore the fix.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
Like?
In reply to Birddogman, 6 months ago

4 days here to fix it !

I have excatly your position : I pais to have a camera fully functional and i douse the camera with the shutter release hiding it behind the window and shooting brsts at birds eating in the garden plus other training such tilt and shift nature morte

So I was quite motivated

Once again Fuji was excellent to cope with the issue.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
rjx
rjx
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Hopefully it works out for you
In reply to Birddogman, 6 months ago

Sounds like it would have been easier to have Fuji send you a box to ship the XT1 in and knowing for sure your camera won't have the defect when it returns. Instead of having Amazon go through the trouble of sending you another one and crossing your fingers that it doesn't have a light leak issue.

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR +1 more
baobob
Like?
Re: Hopefully it works out for you
In reply to rjx, 6 months ago

This is why I just Fuji's  I just followed Fuji's process for the fixprepaid parcel and an overal 4 working days duration quite acceptable IMHO !

-- hide signature --

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,503Gear list
Like?
Not really worried

but figure if I'm going to own a camera that meets all it's specifications correctly it should have the shield in place. If not for me a future owner, as is most often the case, when a X-T2 comes out or equivalent, I'll sell this one for top dollar (as my gear is always kept like new, and yeah I USE it not ABUSE it) so it makes sense to have it fully up to date firmware and hardware wise. I just sent mine off yesterday by the way for the fix.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, Fuji EF-42 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Hopefully it works out for you
In reply to rjx, 6 months ago

rjx wrote:

Sounds like it would have been easier to have Fuji send you a box to ship the XT1 in and knowing for sure your camera won't have the defect when it returns. Instead of having Amazon go through the trouble of sending you another one and crossing your fingers that it doesn't have a light leak issue.

It's unlikely to be a problem. Amazon replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Not because of the light leak, which it had, but due to a problem with shutter speed. They had to delay the shipment for 24 hours while waiting on new stock to arrive. The new one they shipped me was well beyond the serial number range Fuji said was defective. And, it is light leak free. Anything Amazon gets at this point will be fine.

I'll toot Amazon's horn. Their service was outstanding. They shipped the new camera before they received the defective camera. In fact, I could have kept the defective camera until receiving the replacement unit. They reimbursed me for the return shipping cost. I had paid for overnight shipping on the original order. They sent the replacement camera to me overnight as well. I received several emails from their customer service representative that handled my case. She was in touch at every point. I could not have been happier.

-- hide signature --

Steve

WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,436
Like?

Mine has the leak & I am not the least bit worried about it, but since Fuji is taking high road & not dragging out the process or making excuses. (like some other companies, both photographic & not).  I am going to send it in for repair.

I spoke with them today & they put me in the system to get fixed. They said they will be sending me an email in a few days & a FedEx label to send it in. I assume they are spacing things out so they can get the repairs done in a timely manner & not have a backlog. I did not ask him why or how. He simply said they were fixing them.

All of this is fine with me, I have other cameras. I might add the representative was polite, professional, was truly interested in making sure my camera got repaired and that I was happy.

-- hide signature --

Warren

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299Gear list
Like?
In reply to wooly1, 6 months ago

Leaving the lens cap on is nonsense. No rational person would do that.

The black cloth solution is a temporary fix. Using extremely long shutter times requires techniques (besides light-leak protection) that are irrelevant otherwise.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
In reply to wchutt, 6 months ago

I haven't checked and I don't care. But I will send it in for service before the two year warranty is up.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
I'm worried about the USA technicians

80 seals, electronics all over, 2000 parts, and a tecnician making $ 20 an hour in the USA in there?

They could do more harm than good in a complicated camera

Seems to me the only place to truly get in and out there is Japan.

For me it is to ignore it or to replace it.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads