sRAW samples anyone?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Kuvasauna
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
sRAW samples anyone?
9 months ago

Would anyone care to put some D4s sRAW samples available to download? Playing with samples would help to understand what are the limitations of sRAW format.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

'Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.'

Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: sRAW samples anyone?
In reply to Kuvasauna, 9 months ago

I remember that the resolution is reduced by 75% and the maximum number of continuous shots is reduced by 50%, but the file size is only reduced by 25% or so, so it looks like something completely useless to me.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?

Id like to see some to.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Kuvasauna
Like?
Anyone? n/t

Kuvasauna wrote:

Would anyone care to put some D4s sRAW samples available to download? Playing with samples would help to understand what are the limitations of sRAW format.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

'Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.'

-- hide signature --

Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,350Gear list
Like?

I'm very interested in seeing some files too, preferably an a/b comparison sRAW and full sized.  I'm hoping the pliability is similar, if so, seems like a great option to save card/disk space for less critical shoots.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
Bump for sRAW samples!
In reply to Joesiv, 9 months ago

Bump for sRAW samples!

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,232
Like?
In reply to Joesiv, 9 months ago

Joesiv wrote:

I'm very interested in seeing some files too, preferably an a/b comparison sRAW and full sized. I'm hoping the pliability is similar, if so, seems like a great option to save card/disk space for less critical shoots.

12-bit lossy compressed 'sRAW' 2464 x 1640: 13.1 MB

12-bit lossy compressed RAW 4928 × 3280: 14.1 MB

So much for saving any meaningful space by using sRAW.

Jack Hogan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,026
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, 9 months ago

noirdesir wrote:

Right. And my guess is that comparing the ratio of the information content to the ratio of the file sizes favors lossy compressed RAW.  I wonder why they do not have a losslessly compressed lossy compressed RAW format

Kuvasauna
Like?
In reply to Kuvasauna, 7 months ago

Could someone with D4s post a sRAW sample for us to download please? It would be very interesting now that we speculate D800 update.

-- hide signature --

ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, 7 months ago

noirdesir wrote:

Joesiv wrote:

I'm very interested in seeing some files too, preferably an a/b comparison sRAW and full sized. I'm hoping the pliability is similar, if so, seems like a great option to save card/disk space for less critical shoots.

Unless there is some particular data stream effect that causes shooting and record speed to dramatically improve due to sRAW, does now look like a bit of a gimmick, as no 'real' recording space saved, even with lost data.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,972Gear list
Like?

Kuvasauna wrote:

Thanks

-- hide signature --

I don't really need an sRAW file to play with.  Unless I took the shot and had RAW files for comparison it wouldn't do much for me.

But I would like to know what white balance controls are available in post processing software like Adobe ACR and Lightroom and how much highlight recovery is available.

Is the white balance control in ACR reduced to the same +/- slider that you get for JPEG?  Without any ability to choose sun, shade, flash, etc. or dial in a Kelvin value?  Is the ability to recover much in the way of highlights reduced to what you get with JPEG?

If so then I really don't see a lot of utility for sRAW.  People talk about it being great for event photographers who need to process thousands of images quickly.  But if the WB controls in ACR are just like for JPEG then I think you lose a lot of flexibility.  If you want to adjust WB across thousands of files in post then you won't be able to shoot in auto-WB.  I don't use AWB so it's not an issue for me but I suspect it would be for many event shooters.

I've not seen this specific question asked or answered before.  Does anyone know?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597
Like?

Kuvasauna wrote:

Could someone with D4s post a sRAW sample for us to download please? It would be very interesting now that we speculate D800 update.

According to rawdigger:

• It contains YCbCR data much like JPEG, not RGB data
  • The data is 11-bit
  • The tone curve is applied to the data
  • The in-camera white balance is applied to the data
  • The pixel count is 25% of regular NEF files
  • The color information is shared between two adjacent pixels (in other words, chroma is recorded for every other pixel)
  • The file size is insignificantly smaller than full resolution 12-bit lossy compressed NEF
  • Compared to a regular NEFs the data needs additional processing (linearization) while converting it to a TIF/JPEG; that may cause additional problems during the conversion as well as some additional computational errors
  • There is some loss of color accuracy in shadows, which negatively affects the usable dynamic range if color accuracy is important.

So...the D800/E. It has or shares the highest pixel count of any DSLR and can potentially capture more information/resolution than any other on the market. And then doing the above to that information is "interesting"? Seriously?

Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,353
Like?
Kuvasauna
Like?
Thank You (nt)
In reply to Iliah Borg, 7 months ago

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads