How slow is the 60mm real world

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bill vann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
How slow is the 60mm real world
9 months ago

Moving from sony. the NEX7 focuses extremely slowly and imho poorly.  My success rate for candid photos is about 25%,  Was a pro for a long time and handicapped and assumed movement because of my issues but it is not movement, poor focus.

Got the XT1 with the kit lens and it is shockingly good, love the camera as well.  will likely get the WA zoom (hard to change lenses).  Have it in my mind to get the 60 but is it that bad?? can't afford/justify the 56 1.2 unless I give up the WA zoom.

Thoughts on how bad the 60 really is now especially with the XT1
thought maybe the 14m and 56mm but changing glass is perilous and the 14 / kit / 56 is more scary than  WA/Kit/60m

any thoughts

mostly landscape, cityscape and non professional portraiture (grandkids, friends, etc) also love flowers

Types of work I like to do.

Thanks,

Bill

Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
Re: How slow is the 60mm real world
In reply to bill vann, 9 months ago

With the latest firmware, it's nowhere near as bad as the the merchants of Doom on here will have you believe. It's a Fab lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mioshaman
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

Professional photographs.

-- hide signature --

Mioshaman

Mioshaman's gear list:Mioshaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
L of the P
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

I just had mine show last night and am still amazed with how small it is, being that I also have the Nikon 60mm AF-D, also macro. I only had a few minutes to play around with it, but on the XPro, I thought it was as expected for a macro lens, and this is without the latest updates to body or lens.

I would think on the XT1, for your type of shooting, it should be fine unless you plan to capture a lot of action. However, based on your samples, would think it would be fine. It's not fast, but trying some shots in a fairly dimly lit hallway, etc., it had no trouble focussing.

L of the P's gear list:L of the P's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
khollister
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
In reply to L of the P, 9 months ago

The 60 becomes glacially slow primarily in close-up/macro situations where the subject distance is inside of 12" or so. At "normal" subject distances the AF is pretty good.

khollister's gear list:khollister's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?

The 14mm is a great lens for just about anything, IMO. Not just landscapes; I've used it doing some street photography and had some unusual success. It may not be ideal for that setting, but when shot from that perspective, ordinary scenes can become interesting in ways you might not imagine. But the 10-24mm zoom has good IQ as well; nothing wrong with that if it meets your needs better.

The 18-55mm is a really nice standard zoom. One thing I appreciate about that lens is the consistency of the images it renders across the spectrum of its focal length range. Less sophisticated zooms may tend to exhibit uneven performance and have weak performance at certain lengths as the lens elements shift position.

As for the 60mm, I'm ordering that this week, and largely for the reasons you mention. But the biggest reason would probably have to be the cost saving of $250 with the current instant rebate program.

By nearly all accounts the small 60mm short telephoto lens is incredibly sharp, and capable of standing in for the 56mm in all but the f/1.2 aperture and the speed of the auto focus functions. But the 60mm was never intended to be a speed demon. It was designed to allow for excessively precise focusing at close distances; that is what a macro lens is for. And that's why the focusing mechanism has to turn a lot farther to move the focusing lenses the same distance in comparison to what the 23mm or the 56mm have to do.

If changing lenses is a challenge, perhaps you might consider picking up a good used X-E1 body to carry with you as a second body with a second lens mounted and ready to go. They're out there for $350 not too infrequently.

WooBall32
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?

I just got my 60mm from the local camera shop a couple of days ago. In the store on my X-E2 it hunted a lot, however the firmware in the lens was not current. Once I got it home and updated the firmware, all was well as others have noted.

At normal distances it seems to take about a second to get focused with minimal hunting.

For macro, I first switch the X-E2 to MACRO mode, then focus (half press shutter) on a close subject. This quickly extends the barrel to "macro range" and then the lens takes another second or so to focus. Once it's in "macro range" it focuses about the same as normal distances.

WooBall32's gear list:WooBall32's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Identity
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?
In reply to WooBall32, 9 months ago

The 60mm feels quite a bit slower to focus than the 18-55. At best, it's about half as fast, and at worst, its 3-4 times slower, especially in dim light and close focus. When it hunts, it can be glacially slow. I've had very mixed results shooting candid family photos. I now use MF often with this lens, typically pre-focusing with the single-shot auto-focus and then firing off a series of shots all around the same focus distance.

But when you do nail focus... it's so sharp it almost hurts, and bokeh is quite nice. I really like this lens, it has some character, but the 35mm or 18-55mm go on the camera most of the time for candid shots with action.

itsastickup
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?

I was surprised at how serviceable the 60mm was for indoor, low-light (ie. ordinary indoor lighting) candid child photography. Very little hunting. I generally wan't shooting fast moving kids, however. I mostly don't use the 35/1.4 for this kind of photography any longer. The focussing is good enough for me, and the longer length really helps.

itsastickup's gear list:itsastickup's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
Dorkington
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

I haven't really noticed a big difference in focusing speed from the 60mm to the 56mm, personally.

The 60mm isn't the fastest, but since they've released lens updates, and you're attaching it to the X-T1, I fully suspect you'll be fine with it. It'll be slow-ish going from close focus to distant focus, but that's to be expected of a macro lens. If you're focusing on things in the same general range, its plenty fast, imo.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,656Gear list
Like?

Macro lenses are slow to focus period. You accept that if you use a macro lens for non-macro work. The 60 is very slow if you compare it to the 56mm f1.2, but not so slow compared to a typical macro lens. It is optomised for focussing close up where DoF is very narrow, and it doesn't have a very wide aperture.

It's an excellent lens though.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
slimandy
Like?
In reply to khollister, 9 months ago

khollister wrote:

The 60 becomes glacially slow primarily in close-up/macro situations where the subject distance is inside of 12" or so. At "normal" subject distances the AF is pretty good.

You are probably right but I'd never know because I'd always be focussing manually at such distances. This is true of any macro lens, not just Fuji.

Don't you just love focus peaking?!

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,523Gear list
Like?

Bill, nice images.

for me the 60mm is not slow, but i do mostly Landscape shooting and the 60 is a short telephoto to me.  It is about as much reach as i want.  Also, the f1.2 means little to me.  It is also lighter than the 56 or the zoom.  If changing lenses is an issue but you want primes the 14,27,35&60 come to my mind For what you say you like to shoot.

good luck

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, 9 months ago

slimandy wrote:

Macro lenses are slow to focus period.

This is incorrect.  The Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (a true 1:1 macro) focuses VERY fast.  Fast enough to shoot sports action.

You accept that if you use a macro lens for non-macro work.

Canon users don't.  Perhaps Fujifilm users do.

The 60 is very slow if you compare it to the 56mm f1.2, but not so slow compared to a typical macro lens. It is optomised for focussing close up where DoF is very narrow, and it doesn't have a very wide aperture.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

Mike_Hessey
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

I love the 60mm lens. Of course it is not a true macro, only 'half' macro, which personally I found very disappointing. For extreme close up, and real macro, personally I always use manual focus on any camera system, and I'm afraid that for no good reason I still have several camera systems. Happily, if I want full macro, I have adapters and other (non-Fuji) lenses (and close-up lenses for the 60mm, though these will degrade the image). As I would focus manually anyway for extreme close-up, lack of AF on such third-party lenses is not an issue; going back to manual aperture control to focus, at the widest aperture, is not that important in terms of convenience, BUT  possible focus changes when I alter the aperture on those lenses would be important!

The 'proper (marked)' aperture ring on this lens is great - the X system zooms are great performers, but having proper f stops on the lens is the way I want to work (of course, a variable aperture/focal length means you can't do this). Hence my current quandary - wait for the new wide zoom, which is not cheap, but very versatile, or go for the 14mm, which is not cheap either, but probably wide enough for most of my requirements (which include many indoors images at The Black Country Living Museum buildings).

I wish I knew the answer to 'Life, the Universe and Everything' .... (42 does not help me much, but I enjoyed the original radio series so much, though photography did not feature in it).

Mike

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
I think it depends on what you're used to...

Prior to my picking up the XF35, I read a bunch of comments on how slow and loud the AF is. Seems great to me.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Graham Hill
Like?
Re: I think it depends on what you're used to...
In reply to darngooddesign, 9 months ago

darngooddesign wrote:

Prior to my picking up the XF35, I read a bunch of comments on how slow and loud the AF is. Seems great to me.

Some people have different standards.  the XF35's auto focus motor was sourced straight out of Canon's 1985 reject bin.

My Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens is much, much faster and is absolutely silent.

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
Re: I think it depends on what you're used to...
In reply to Graham Hill, 9 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

Some people have different standards. the XF35's auto focus motor was sourced straight out of Canon's 1985 reject bin.

My Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens is much, much faster and is absolutely silent.

Yep. That's why the 60mm needs to be compared against the lens he has, the 18-55 zoom because one person's "loud and slow" is another person's "i think is pretty good".

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
slimandy
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 9 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Macro lenses are slow to focus period.

This is incorrect. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (a true 1:1 macro) focuses VERY fast. Fast enough to shoot sports action.

I'll have to take your word for that. I have used many macro lenses on Nikon SLr's and DSLR's and they have all been slow to focus and hunted alot with the possible exception of the Sigma 150mm macro OS. I have also used the Olympus 60 on MFT and it is similar and has the addded problem of a tricky to use focus limiter.

You accept that if you use a macro lens for non-macro work.

Canon users don't. Perhaps Fujifilm users do.

Like I say, I don't know Canon specifically but I have owned at least 8 macro lenses on other systems including FF Nikon.

The 60 is very slow if you compare it to the 56mm f1.2, but not so slow compared to a typical macro lens. It is optomised for focussing close up where DoF is very narrow, and it doesn't have a very wide aperture.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Anonymous

-- hide signature --

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to slimandy, 9 months ago

I dont think a single USM lens from Canon could be called slow focusing.  They are extraordinarily fast moving lenses.

-- hide signature --

Anonymous

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads