D800 with Sigma 24 105mm f4 Art Lens Anyone using?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Robert Cain
Contributing MemberPosts: 636Gear list
Like?
D800 with Sigma 24 105mm f4 Art Lens Anyone using?
6 months ago

Hi All

Anyone using this combo any shots?

Cheers

Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojorob2009/

Still Breathing

Robert Cain's gear list:Robert Cain's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sailor36
Regular MemberPosts: 491
Like?
Re: D800 with Sigma 24 105mm f4 Art Lens Anyone using?
In reply to Robert Cain, 6 months ago

I have it and use it on a D600.

It is a lovely lens. built like a tank. Lightning fast focus and excellent OS.

I'm pressed for time so I can't upload a pic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Cain
Contributing MemberPosts: 636Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor36, 6 months ago

Ok Thanks

Rob

-- hide signature --

Still Breathing

Robert Cain's gear list:Robert Cain's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?

Go to B&H and bring up that lens.   Then scroll down to the review area (I think) and click on "subscribe to user reviews".   It is getting absolutely rave reviews!  (which is pushing me over the edge....;)

-- hide signature --
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 6 months ago

I'll be interested to see what you decide, Ernie. I've thought about it, myself - the weight is the main thing putting me off, but I guess it's no heavier than the Sigma 35 f/1.4 + Nikon 85 f/1.4 that I carry a lot now

-- hide signature --
ChapelThrill23
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

I tried the lens but decided not to purchase it. I just wasn't that interested in having a slow lens that is that heavy. It, according to BH specs, is only 15 grams lighter than a Nikon 24-70! I don't doubt though that it is excellent and that it is a great fit for many people. Sigma produces some really good glass.

hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?

Ernie Misner wrote:

Go to B&H and bring up that lens. Then scroll down to the review area (I think) and click on "subscribe to user reviews". It is getting absolutely rave reviews! (which is pushing me over the edge....;)

-- hide signature --

I always take these reviews with a grain of salt as request comes just a couple days after the lens, generally before I have much time with the lens.

That said, I love the lens. It is sharp, solid, focuses fast and accurately. It is heavy but seems not so large as the 24-70 because of lower profile hood and shorter length. Zoom is stiff, but feels more robust than my 24-70. Not weather sealed. 82mm filter means you likely need a new polarizer or clear if you are a filter guy.

I did not have opportunity to compare directly with the still on sale Nikon 24-120.

I had no compatibility issues with D4 or D700, have no D800.

Mansurov (Photography Life), who usually gushes, is quite noncommital on this lens in his final summary given current Nikon sale.

Sailor36
Regular MemberPosts: 491
Like?

My review there includes a photo of my cat that is completely unremarkable except for this: It was late in the day and I had just put the lens, which had arrived that day, on my D600. I was lying in bed taking shots of various things in the room to check focus speed. The cat jumped up on my stomach so I took his picture. The camera was set at f/4.5, ISO 5000, and 1/6 second shutter speed. I'm an old guy with shaky hands, and I think this shot is very sharp, given that I usually can't shoot slower than about 1/30. The NEF file was converted directly to jpg. in View NX2 with no adjustment at all.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724Gear list
Like?
would be nice to see the cat.. nt
In reply to Sailor36, 6 months ago

Sailor36 wrote:

My review there includes a photo of my cat that is completely unremarkable except for this: It was late in the day and I had just put the lens, which had arrived that day, on my D600. I was lying in bed taking shots of various things in the room to check focus speed. The cat jumped up on my stomach so I took his picture. The camera was set at f/4.5, ISO 5000, and 1/6 second shutter speed. I'm an old guy with shaky hands, and I think this shot is very sharp, given that I usually can't shoot slower than about 1/30. The NEF file was converted directly to jpg. in View NX2 with no adjustment at all.

can you upload it?

Ta

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Robertomendo
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Re: would be nice to see the cat.. nt
In reply to Alan Brown, 6 months ago

Just go to B&H and search for the Sigma 24-105 for Nikon and look at the reviews. There are only six so far and one of them has the cat pic.

Robertomendo's gear list:Robertomendo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,724Gear list
Like?
Thanks..
In reply to Robertomendo, 6 months ago

I didn't know that he was referring to a comment outside of DPR.. thanks for that

Got it..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434Gear list
Like?
Question is, is it better than Nikon 24-120F4?
In reply to ChapelThrill23, 6 months ago

Is this new sigma lens better than the Nikon 24-120F4? I have the Nikon lens. Kinda curious.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Maik Kurzer
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Question is, is it better than Nikon 24-120F4?
In reply to Daniel Clune, 6 months ago

Daniel Clune wrote:

Is this new sigma lens better than the Nikon 24-120F4? I have the Nikon lens. Kinda curious.

-- hide signature --

I bought this lens 2 month ago. Before this lens, I had the Nikon 2.8/24-70 and the Tamron 2.8/24-70. I just can compare the Sigma to this both lenses. What I really like on the Sigma is, that it focuses real well with my D800E (over the whole zoom range). I also tested this Sigma and a lot Nikon and Tamron lenses mentioned above. I never found a Nikon or a Tamron copy, which was that good for focusing! (I tested 3 Nikon and 6 Tamron lenses with Reikan Focal in Multipoint mode.)

In addition, the lens is really sharp. I can’t make a full lens review here. But if somebody would ask for a comparison for all three mentioned lenses at aperture 4, no lens is really an absolut winner (over the whole zoom range). Knowing the lens measurements at Dxomark I think, the Sigma is for sure better than the Nikon 4/24-120.

To other owners of the mentioned Sigma lens: Has somebody a lens profile for LR5 for that lens? I tried to build up my own lens profile with the Adobe lens profiler but was not very successful. The Adobe program is realy bad for large raw files from the D800 (memory problems). The created lens profile was bad too, especially for the correction of the vignette. Maybe I did something wrong, I don’t know!

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, 6 months ago

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I'll be interested to see what you decide, Ernie. I've thought about it, myself - the weight is the main thing putting me off, but I guess it's no heavier than the Sigma 35 f/1.4 + Nikon 85 f/1.4 that I carry a lot now

-- hide signature --

Hi Ray!  I guess I don't worry about the weight so much since I'm used to carrying my 70-200 f2.8 around.  Not all day or super long hikes though of course.  What do you think about the 82mm filter size?  I'm still scratching my head about that and it's holding me back from making the purchase a bit.  I'm set up well with 77mm filters.  Might be the wave of the future though, and when Nikon updates the 24-70 with VR (hopefully) it might have the 82 mm filter size too.

-- hide signature --
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Re: Question is, is it better than Nikon 24-120F4?
In reply to Daniel Clune, 6 months ago

Daniel Clune wrote:

-- hide signature --

I have been happy with mine. I was considering this lens vs the 24-120 and selected the Sigma because a local dealer had it in stock and I was able to try it on my D700 and D4. I am pleased with the Sigma 35 f/1.4, and therefore felt comfortable purchasing this Sigma without waiting for the 24-120. The OP question related to the D800 which I do not have.

I do not think you can clearly say one is better. Most reviews suggest Sigma is sharper and probably more solidly built at the expense of weight, has worse vignetting, slightly less distortion, autofocus which may be easier to fool, lacks weather sealing, and requires an 82mm filter instead of the 77 which fits most of the rest of the stuff in the bag, has zoom and focus rings switched in position from familiar 70-200 and 24-70, zoom ring rotation is opposite direction of Nikon (although I have not used the 24-120). Sigma focus and firmware can be adjusted with a USB dock which I do not own and have not needed.

Conclusions of those with much greater stature than mine are generally that it is a worthwhile consideration, but not so great an improvement that one consider switch from the Canon L or the Nikon. Prices of the Canon and Nikon (for 2 more days) are now so close that that is not a major factor for first time purchase.

Scored better than Nikon 24-120 on DXO, but was compared to the Sigma on a Canon body with lower res sensor and of likely dubious value. Lenstip appears to favor it, but not so much as to recommend a switch, same with Mansurov.

Enjoy your Nikon and lose no sleep!

Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?

Ernie, re the 82mm filters, it doesn't make me happy, but it isn't the end of the world. I hardly ever use any filter other than a CPL, so I wouldn't be adding multiple filters to the kit. And I think the Tamron 24-70 uses 82mm, too, so that may indeed be some kind of trend, and if Nikon doesn't eventually update their 24-70, I may break down and go third party on the Tamron anyway. I already have CPL's at 67, 72, and 77mm, so I sometimes end up carrying three different filters in the bag even now.

-- hide signature --
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

I would think more about the size and aperture.  I briefly had a Nikkor 24-120mm and decided to return it.  I had been waiting a long time for the lens rebate and then didn't care for the lens after all.

First i missed the extra stop.  In that focal range I often shoot indoors and low/evening light.

Secondly I didn't like the way it extended.  It has long neck.

It wasn't that light and if I'm going to carry it around I'd prefer the 24-70mm in that weight range.

Lastly IMO the quality wasn't up there with the 24-70mm in build or in IQ.

I bought an 85mm prime which I'm very happy with and had planned to buy the 105mm to cover the rest of the range.  However the 105mm is a bit of a dinosaur so I've decided to forego it.  The 85mm is enough.

OTOH I've always wanted to try one of the new Sigma ART's so if a rebate comes along...  It's my impression that Sigma does what they do well (I had an older Sigma MF) and hit a sweet spot of cost (lower than Nikkor) and IQ (close or sometimes better than Nikkor).

regards, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
samjstern
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,427Gear list
Like?
But there is 1 problem.
In reply to wireless, 5 months ago

I also am interested in this lens, but I heard that the Nikon D610 and D800 does not recognize it and it cannot be fine tuned.

Can anyone confirn or deny this??

samjstern's gear list:samjstern's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, 5 months ago

However, it's an f4 - 4 stops slower than the lenses you mentioned.  There are always trades. If you don't need fast lenses - it's a pretty good option.  I've migrated away from zooms since what you give up is the speed of the lens and I like a fast lens for low light.

Ray Ritchie wrote:

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
In reply to Truman Prevatt, 5 months ago

Truman Prevatt wrote:

However, it's an f4 - 4 stops slower than the lenses you mentioned. There are always trades. If you don't need fast lenses - it's a pretty good option. I've migrated away from zooms since what you give up is the speed of the lens and I like a fast lens for low light.

Truman,

Actually f/1.4 to f/4 is 3-stops delta, not 4.  But you point is well-taken. Sometimes you just need a fast lens in low light, although an f/4 with image stabilization does help a lot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads