Just purchased D610! Very excited...need help picking 50mm

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
HassanChop
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Just purchased D610! Very excited...need help picking 50mm
6 months ago

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a D610 and I'm extremely excited to start using it. I only purchased the body and I want to purchase a good quality 50mm prime lens.

I plan on keeping this lens for a while and I also want something that will give me good quality out of focus (bokeh) when working with DOF.

Can this be had for under $300? I'm open to Ebay, Amazon, and so on.

Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
Re: Just purchased D610! Very excited...need help picking 50mm
In reply to HassanChop, 6 months ago

The 50mm 1.8G is a great lightweight lens for very little money... Sharp wide open too. The only  drawback is that there can occasionally be slightly swirly bokeh, but not with every shot.

Congratulations on your 610!!

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HassanChop
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Felts, 6 months ago

Felts wrote:

The 50mm 1.8G is a great lightweight lens for very little money... Sharp wide open too. The only drawback is that there can occasionally be slightly swirly bokeh, but not with every shot.

-- hide signature --

I do see that the 50mm 1.8 is pretty reasonable at around $200. I assume this one would be the one you are talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NIKKOR-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004Y1AYAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395691019&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+50mm+1.8

Also can someone recommend a lens hood and lens filter so it will protect froom scratching the glass.

Will the lens filter affect the picture quality?

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?
Here in Toronto you can generally get a

HassanChop wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a D610 and I'm extremely excited to start using it. I only purchased the body and I want to purchase a good quality 50mm prime lens.

I plan on keeping this lens for a while and I also want something that will give me good quality out of focus (bokeh) when working with DOF.

50 1.4G on Craigslist or Kijiji for between $300 and $350. With box, sometimes a B + W filter, and original receipt. While $350 is not below $300, sometimes when buying camera gear you have to go with "close enough"!  50 1.8G is much cheaper and very good if not better on some fronts, but it's not 1.4.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
T O Shooter
Like?

HassanChop wrote:

Felts wrote:

The 50mm 1.8G is a great lightweight lens for very little money... Sharp wide open too. The only drawback is that there can occasionally be slightly swirly bokeh, but not with every shot.

-- hide signature --

I do see that the 50mm 1.8 is pretty reasonable at around $200. I assume this one would be the one you are talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NIKKOR-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004Y1AYAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395691019&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+50mm+1.8

Also can someone recommend a lens hood and lens filter so it will protect froom scratching the glass.

That's the one.  In filters I prefer B + W as do a lot of photographers. On the flop side, some fellows just won't use any.  I bought some camera gear a year or so ago from a fellow that used to be a photojournalist. This was his personal gear, but he didn't use filters OR a lens cap and the glass was perfect. He had to go looking for the caps to give me.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?

Nikon Noct-Nikkor 58mm f1.2

http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai5812.html

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
ND FILTER
In reply to T O Shooter, 6 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

HassanChop wrote:

Felts wrote:

-- hide signature --

That's the one. In filters I prefer B + W as do a lot of photographers. On the flop side, some fellows just won't use any. I bought some camera gear a year or so ago from a fellow that used to be a photojournalist. This was his personal gear, but he didn't use filters OR a lens cap and the glass was perfect. He had to go looking for the caps to give me.

-- hide signature --

The only filters I use are ND and CP. I use the lens hood to keep my fingers off the glass.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
T O Shooter
Like?
Re: ND FILTER
In reply to arrr, 6 months ago

arrr wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

HassanChop wrote:

Felts wrote:

-- hide signature --

That's the one. In filters I prefer B + W as do a lot of photographers. On the flop side, some fellows just won't use any. I bought some camera gear a year or so ago from a fellow that used to be a photojournalist. This was his personal gear, but he didn't use filters OR a lens cap and the glass was perfect. He had to go looking for the caps to give me.

-- hide signature --

The only filters I use are ND and CP. I use the lens hood to keep my fingers off the glass.

And I get that. A lot of fellows feel the same way. But a lot of your glass doesn't cost much more than I pay in Toronto for a B + W filter, so you have little exposure to loss. But glass, such as my 80-400AF-S G is $3000, 70-200II $2500, 24-70 $2000 in rough numbers, and I'm not risking the front element for what little degradation might occur with a  high quality B + W filter. If I'm shooting something where I want to be certain of optimum quality I may pull a filter off - then again I may not.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?

HassanChop wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I would like to propose that you look on eBay for a 50mm f1.8D. By the time these things get to the used market they're dirt cheap even in excellent condition.

I just checked and there are a couple in the $30 range (neither one of which is mine )

I think people outgrow them and want faster lenses, sending these to eBay. The optical quality is very good. You do need to get around the slightly plastic feel, but the performance and durability don't seem to suffer for it. Unless you have some specific requirement you won't regret it, and even if you want to upgrade later, heck it's only $30

The metal screw on hood from Nikon is, I think, an HS-7 and likely costs more than the used lens. As the front element is deeply recessed, in my opinion neither a hood nor filter is required for protection unless you have salt or blowing debris.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,158
Like?

Sigma 50mm F/1.4.

filipebv
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to Felts, 6 months ago

if you get a good copy...then yes...i already return two copies (at first i thought it was a great lens but after some tests the two i got only had good results at f4...at f1.8-2.8 only the left side was sharp...strange!! even in manual focus (live view, zooming) i just couldn´t achieve sharp results (at the right side...some kind of fog ot something)!! i think iam going to get the f1.4 to see if i have decent results at f2.8...

i think the problem with this cheap lens is the assembly quality control...the optics are very good!!

ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176
Like?
Re: Just purchased D610! good..

HassanChop wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Great, as long as you got one in good working order, I think you made the right decision re FF vs DX if you want to take mostly people / eventually wedding photos.

For such, the added benefit of low light ability of FF IS necessary for churches, receptions etc.

Good Luck!

arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 6 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

I may pull a filter off - then again I may not.

-- hide signature --

Well at least you know filters compromise IQ. I personally can't stand the ghosting and flare they introduce.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to arrr, 6 months ago

arrr wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

I may pull a filter off - then again I may not.

-- hide signature --

Well at least you know filters compromise IQ. I personally can't stand the ghosting and flare they introduce.

And that's when I'd pull one off.  Otherwise B+W is excellent.  The Schott glass in them is probably better than what's in the lens.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 6 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

Sigma 50mm F/1.4.

This is the one I have as well. Great lens, a little heavy for a 50mm but a great lens.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
LaRocque
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: Just purchased D610! good..
In reply to ImageAmateur, 6 months ago

I'll second the 50 1.8 d. It's a little cheap feeling, but the aperture ring allows you to make those adjustments on the fly shooting video, which sounds like something you're interested in. Just know that with the d version, you give up manual focus override. To me, it's easy enough to flip the switch back and forth. You'll be in manual focus anyway for video. Both d and g take great photos, and on the d600, I am amazed at the low light performance. D version doesn't come with a hood, the g does.
--
James

LaRocque's gear list:LaRocque's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads