I am TIRED of ViewN2X

Started Mar 23, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Niels Graverholt
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
I am TIRED of ViewN2X
Mar 23, 2014

I use it only to transfer pics from my D600 tp my PC and rename them - not all the other fancy things.

So normally, I just place my SD cart in the slot, open ViewNX2, click on File --> Launch transfer - and up come all my thumbnails and I click "Start transfer".

But now it has began to show a number of maps, and only if I go the menu at the left can I find a tree and find the files on the SD - but then "Lauch transfer" is inactive,

So what do I do then?

Is it really true that I have to read 200 pages of manual to solve this simple problem?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1RichieB
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: I am TIRED of ViewN2X
In reply to Niels Graverholt, Mar 23, 2014

I use Nikon Transfer and it seems to work very well. After it downloads photos it automatically opens up the folder I placed them in with ViewNX2. From there you can review them and edit with Capture if desired.

1RichieB's gear list:1RichieB's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,790
Like?
Transfer Is a standalone app

Niels Graverholt wrote:

I use it only to transfer pics from my D600 tp my PC and rename them - not all the other fancy things.

So normally, I just place my SD cart in the slot, open ViewNX2, click on File --> Launch transfer - and up come all my thumbnails and I click "Start transfer".

But now it has began to show a number of maps, and only if I go the menu at the left can I find a tree and find the files on the SD - but then "Lauch transfer" is inactive,

So what do I do then?

Is it really true that I have to read 200 pages of manual to solve this simple problem?

You don't need view nx2 to run transfer you can run it by itself

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,585Gear list
Like?

Why not try a better tool?   DownloaderPro is designed to do ONLY transfers, with renaming, rotating and folder creation as part of the job.  Plus options that can be used for each job, if you want more customization.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +34 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,694Gear list
Like?
Nikon Transfer can be totally automatized !

I have set Nikon Transfer to automatically detect when a card is inserted in my card-reader, then create a new sub-directory (in my C:\PHOTOS directory), named by the DATE, then download the images and open that sub-directory in ViewNX ! So, all I have to do is to slide my card in the slot, wait 2 seconds, click on DOWNLOAD and wait until ViewNX opens ! What more do you want ? I believe no other software can be as much automatized as Nikon Transfer !

J-P.

Photo Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
Niels Graverholt
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Mar 23, 2014

Tried to install it and was told that it cannot run on my Windows 8

Niels Graverholt
Like?
Re: Transfer Is a standalone app
In reply to David314, Mar 23, 2014

What do you mean run it by myself?

Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,683Gear list
Like?

Do you have Lightroom or Aperture? I use both, and find I can transfer from camera directly into either program. Everything that Nikon makes is too slow and cumbersome, even if its still free.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Niels Graverholt
Like?
Re: Nikon Transfer can be totally automatized !
In reply to JP Scherrer, Mar 23, 2014

But I still cannot install it

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,589Gear list
Like?

Niels Graverholt wrote:

But I still cannot install it

Nikon Transfer should already be installed.  It should have installed with View NX2.  If you go to the x86 folder for your View NX2 program you should see a sub-folder there for Transfer 2.

Like JP said...  you should have your computer set up so that when you insert any sort of photo media (SD, CF, etc) your Windows Explorer opens up and presents you with a list of photo transfer choices.  Nikon Transfer is one of the options.  That's how my computer has operated for years.

Depending on what post editing software you use you might want to use a different transfer program.  For example, I'm using Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.  I use the Bridge photo upload utility.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 +21 more
Vidau
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,106Gear list
Like?

I use a card reader and save battery

Vidau's gear list:Vidau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +14 more
itchhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,514
Like?
I've found the software to be pretty straight forward

I've found the software to be pretty straight forward.

Click Transfer

Go to the Primary Destination tab and select where you want the pics to go.

Go to the Primary Destination Select rename files during transfer.

I don't know how it could be any simpler than this?

I'm on version version 2.9

-- hide signature --

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
~ Jim Elliot

MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to JP Scherrer, Mar 23, 2014

JP Scherrer wrote:

I have set Nikon Transfer to automatically detect when a card is inserted in my card-reader, then create a new sub-directory (in my C:\PHOTOS directory), named by the DATE, then download the images and open that sub-directory in ViewNX ! So, all I have to do is to slide my card in the slot, wait 2 seconds, click on DOWNLOAD and wait until ViewNX opens ! What more do you want ? I believe no other software can be as much automatized as Nikon Transfer !

J-P.

Exactly. I can plug the card into the card reader, or the camera with a USB cable, and Nikon Transfer starts. After download View NX2 starts automatically. I like View NX2 for what it is, and does. I use Capture NX2, and Lightroom for major editing, but View does my straight to jpeg conversions. That's not to say that View converts all of my raw files, just those that I want an immediate jpeg from.

Windows 7.

-- hide signature --
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?
Re: Transfer Is a standalone app

Niels Graverholt wrote:

I think he meant you could just "copy" the files from your card and "save" them in the HD and then open them with anything you like.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +6 more
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,790
Like?
Here is what I mean

Niels Graverholt wrote:

Nikon transfer is its own program, it is not part of view NX2, but is installed with view NX2

the program is called NktTransfer2.exe

it is located in the program files (x86) Nikon viewNX2 viewNX 2 Nikon transfer 2  directory

click on it and it will run, you don't need to run view NX 2 to run it,

as others have pointed out, when you insert a media card, an option to run transfer 2 should pop up

if it doesn't, you can create a short cut to the program and run it directly

if it doesn't run from view nx2, I would make sure you have the latest version installed

I am not sure about older versions comptability with windows 8

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Niels Graverholt, Mar 24, 2014

I have a new 8.1 laptop upstairs.  I'm pretty it installed just fine for me a couple of weeks ago.  I'll have to go check it out.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +34 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,694Gear list
Like?
@ michaeldavidson !
In reply to michaeladawson, Mar 24, 2014

michaeladawson wrote:

Like JP said... you should have your computer set up so that when you insert any sort of photo media (SD, CF, etc) your Windows Explorer opens up and presents you with a list of photo transfer choices. Nikon Transfer is one of the options. That's how my computer has operated for years.

In fact, I don't even have to chose which photo transfer program to use: as soon as I insert a CF-card or SD card, Nikon Transfer automatically opens ! I only have to click on "DOWNLOAD", then it does its job, deletes the images in the card, call ViewNX and goes off ! ...and ViewNX opens within the newly created "2014-03-23" subdirectory all on its own ! Magic !

BTW, my 3 PCs, 1 desktop and 2 laptops, all run under Windows 7 Home Premium !

J-P.

JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
yihlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 624
Like?
Re: Try Windows build-in file transfer.

Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> ... -> Change default setting for media or device.

For Windows 8: Import photo and videos

For Windows 7: Import picture and videos using Windows

Turn on AutoPlay.

Some of the neat features of this W8/W7 app:

• Create new folders any where you want and use 'date picture taken' for folder names and transfer pictures as such.
  • Prompt to enter 'Tag' name, which may be whatever text entry you would enter. The 'Tag' will be part of the new folder name as well. Like '2014-03-21 family picnics', ...
  • The 'Tag' entry will also be written to every picture files. It will be embedded under the file property TAG (Windows) or KEYWORD (Nikon). This can be very useful if you're using an advanced file manager app or database app.
  • When encounter duplicate entries during file transfer, Windows can make 2nd copies or overwrite the original.
  • Erase files on memory card after transfer.

All of the above options can be set one way or another. Once it's set, no more user attention is required. Next time you connect the camera or insert memory card, AutoPlay will start it. All you need to do is: Enter your 'TAG' text if that feature is enabled, or just press the ENTER key.

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735
Like?
The same on Windows 7 ... Re: Here is what I mean
In reply to David314, Mar 24, 2014

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\ViewNX 2\ViewNX 2\NktTransfer2.exe

-- hide signature --

Regards.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,672
Like?

Niels Graverholt wrote:

So what do I do then?

I am only using the Transfer NX (or whatever is called). I start it when I insert a card and the transfer is done automatically, after the process the software closes and the images are transferred to the right place. Simple, efficient and very smooth.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads