Nikon D610 JPEG rendering

Started 7 months ago | Questions
SL98
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon D610 JPEG rendering
7 months ago

I noticed that when I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D610 on high ISOs, the JPEGs come out with this super odd, blocky, chromatic noise that the RAWs don't have. It happens whether I have in-camera High ISO noise reduction on or off. The JPEG settings are at their highest; 'FINE' and 'Optimal Quality.' anyone else noticed this on theirs?

JPG @ ISO 25600

RAW @ ISO 25600

JPG @ ISO 6400

RAW @ ISO 6400

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767
Like?
Re: Nikon D610 JPEG rendering
In reply to SL98, 7 months ago

How do you process the raw files?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, 7 months ago

That's why we use and process Raw files our selves. Vic

SL98
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, 7 months ago

Well yes, that's why I shoot RAW most of the time (I use ACR for processing). But sometimes I have no choice but to shoot JPEG, and this seems way worse than it should be; even without processing there is still a distinction! At high ISOs, the JPEGs show up with the green and purple noise that the RAWs never have. 

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,857
Like?
In reply to VicC, 7 months ago

VicC wrote:

That's why we use and process Raw files our selves. Vic

Exactly

-- hide signature --
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767
Like?

Did you try to correct that in the camera settings somehow? To little details here to have any opinion...

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,235
Like?

I noticed that when I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D610 on high ISOs, the JPEGs come out with this super odd, blocky, chromatic noise that the RAWs don't have. It happens whether I have in-camera High ISO noise reduction on or off.

Probably a hot/unshielded Chip in the Camera there add this "blocky noise" when the RAW is reduced to the JPEG.

ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?

I almost never shoot in JPEG.
That is why I had bought a DSLR.
Also Nikon is not very good at in-camera jpeg processing. Well, imho only Canon is really good at it, Oly is between Canon and the rest.
The rest - Nikon, Sony, Pana - are OK moderate ISOs, but when serious NR/color correction is required, they are quite bad.
But, as I said, all this irrelevant to me, as I always shoot raw and advise you to do so either.
At high ISO, raw is a MUST.

I had made a test shot at ISO 25600.
LR4 has default NR:
Luminance 0.
Color 25.
If I set Color to 0, I see no difference to RAW except for the JPEG compression artifacts, which is totally OK for a random noise.
Setting Color NR to 25 in LR makes dramatic difference.

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,101
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 7 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

I noticed that when I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D610 on high ISOs, the JPEGs come out with this super odd, blocky, chromatic noise that the RAWs don't have. It happens whether I have in-camera High ISO noise reduction on or off.

Probably a hot/unshielded Chip in the Camera there add this "blocky noise" when the RAW is reduced to the JPEG.

No, it is a typical Nikon noise. Same in the D300s and the V1 also. It is the color moire typical for Nikon, and it is a shame that Nikon does not manage to take care of that in the camera and force us to use raw and work extra just to get rid of the ugly yellow/green cast.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,101
Like?

SL98 wrote:

I noticed that when I shoot RAW+JPEG on my D610 on high ISOs, the JPEGs come out with this super odd, blocky, chromatic noise that the RAWs don't have. It happens whether I have in-camera High ISO noise reduction on or off. The JPEG settings are at their highest; 'FINE' and 'Optimal Quality.' anyone else noticed this on theirs?

This is typical for Nikon. I can not for my life understand why they can't clean the files better in the camera. It is the color moire you see, it is fairly easy to get rid of it but you need to shoot raw. Same in every Nikon camera I know, you can also see it in the DPR sample images. Shame on Nikon for not handling this fairly simple issue correctly in the camera.

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,498Gear list
Like?
This is 25600, 6400

Very high ISO, I believe your raw files are being cleaned by ACR, Nikon in camera NR is on the conservative side, I prefer that rather than plastic over processed files, also when printed these would probably be ok, especially the 6400.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads