7 months ago

Help me make a decision please
DEAL 1 )
Pentax K-3 Digital Limited Edition Silver SLR Camera Kit
Includes Pentax Grip, Extra Pentax Battery and Limited Edition Strap £1325

DEAL 2 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body ONLY £900

DEAL 3 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR Lens Kit £950

DEAL 4 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-135 WR Lens Kit £1170

DEAL 5 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200mm WR Lenses £1100

ALL the above also include the FREE Pentax 35mm F2.4 AL LENS

I don't know weather just to get the camera body then get a Lens that is a little bit better so IQ would be that bit better,
as a beginner with DSLR what do the experienced users advice.

Also I was thinking along the lines of Deal 4 which comes with the 18-135WR.

As a beginner I am lookin for a lense that could be an all purpose lens for the first few months till I save more monies.
BUT I also want good quality,

I like taking Portraits, landscapes, I could get the camera and have about £500/ to £600 for la half decent lens or am I dreaming in total I have £1500 to spend
all advise GREATLY appreciated.

I have a Fuji HS50 and used it for learning, more about aperture, shutter speeds, ISO.

watched hundreds of YouTube videos on camera settings etc. etc. now want to move on and the Pentax K3 for me is the best camera out there, for the price range and IQ.

Tom G
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body????

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Samsung NX1 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +9 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
johnami
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me make a decision please K3
In reply to tom1234567, 7 months ago

Hi Tom,

I would go for the body only with the best fixed lense you can get.  I just don't think the lenses offered do justice to the 24mp sensor. You have a 'free' lens thrown in so you will be able to see how good that is.  Later you can invest in some better glass. Good luck

Atb

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnami, 7 months ago

johnami wrote:

Hi Tom,

I would go for the body only with the best fixed lense you can get. I just don't think the lenses offered do justice to the 24mp sensor. You have a 'free' lens thrown in so you will be able to see how good that is. Later you can invest in some better glass. Good luck

Atb

Thanks Johnami.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Samsung NX1 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +9 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
In reply to johnami, 7 months ago

johnami wrote:

Hi Tom,

I would go for the body only with the best fixed lense you can get. I just don't think the lenses offered do justice to the 24mp sensor. You have a 'free' lens thrown in so you will be able to see how good that is. Later you can invest in some better glass. Good luck

Atb

I am not sure if you are right.

e.g. Even the very bad sample of the 18-135mm which was reviewed in

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/597-pentax_18135_3556?start=1

had a very good performance between 24mm and 50mm if it is stopped down to F/8.

And there are not sooo many primes which are WR and have SDM/DC

That is why I would recommend DEAL 4 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-135 WR Lens Kit £1170

Cheers

Anton

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,422Gear list
Like?

Deal 4.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,882Gear list
Like?

Deal 4. You can do a lot of photography with the 18-135 WR and 35 AL.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,594Gear list
Like?

One more for deal 4.

i have many nice primes, but if i was to get a K3 now, i'd probably get it with the 18-135. Nice range, good build, WR and small enough for holidays...

If you want a grip, you can add that too, and an extra battey. I love the grip.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
2PK
2PK
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

You could get the camera even cheaper, SRS, Clifton Cameras and WEX have all dropped their prices but not to the level of SLRHut.

I bought a K3 from SLRHut for 60% of the main UK dealer prices but you have to accept it is a grey import with a limited warranty and the customer service is not up to the level of the dealers mentioned above. However, if you're not of a nervous disposition and want an absolute bargain I would happily recommend them.

Before purchasing from them I did lots of research and the majority of negative postings (98%) were from individuals who had never used them.

I was initially looking at buying a K5iis but got a K3 for much less and I'm extremely pleased with it.

2PK's gear list:2PK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3
miles green
Like?
In reply to 2PK, 7 months ago

2PK wrote:

You could get the camera even cheaper, SRS, Clifton Cameras and WEX have all dropped their prices but not to the level of SLRHut.

I bought a K3 from SLRHut for 60% of the main UK dealer prices but you have to accept it is a grey import with a limited warranty and the customer service is not up to the level of the dealers mentioned above. However, if you're not of a nervous disposition and want an absolute bargain I would happily recommend them.

Before purchasing from them I did lots of research and the majority of negative postings (98%) were from individuals who had never used them.

I was initially looking at buying a K5iis but got a K3 for much less and I'm extremely pleased with it.

Wow, that's a huge discount from SLRHut. I might be able to get one sooner than i thought!

Did you get your K3? Because the K7 sells for more than the K3 on their website, which rings on my scam-alert bells.

They also have a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS DG for Pentax. I thought that lens wasn't even available for Pentax......

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
In reply to miles green, 7 months ago

Deal 4 for me no question.

From researching a bit online, as far I can tell SLR Hut appears to be a scam site. I don't have any first hand experience with them whatsoever though.

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

miles green
Like?
In reply to afterswish1, 7 months ago

I would not send them my money, for sure.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,939
Like?

I'd also go for deal 4.

It's not clear if there's a lens in deal 1 , the camera doesn't need a grip (imho) and you can add one if you find the balance or the way you place your hands makes it better with one. 3rd party batteries are fine and much cheaper so no reason to go with that

I would avoid the two zoom combo (deal 5) because you'll find you're constantly switching zooms. Only give this consideration if you need the 135-200 part of the range and don't want to go the body + uber-zoom route (see below)

Deal 3 (one zoom) is OK, but the £120 uplift from the 18/55 to the 18/135 is worth paying hence deal 4.

You also get the 35mm lens and have enough of your budget left to do something useful.

The one possibility I'd look at is the Body only deal and adding an 18-250 or 18-270 because then you really have a walk about lens that can do everything. But that would blow the whole budget, If you go for "Deal 4" the £300 left over gives quite a few lens options.

fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?

tom1234567 wrote:

Help me make a decision please
DEAL 1 )
Pentax K-3 Digital Limited Edition Silver SLR Camera Kit
Includes Pentax Grip, Extra Pentax Battery and Limited Edition Strap £1325

DEAL 2 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body ONLY £900

DEAL 3 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR Lens Kit £950

DEAL 4 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-135 WR Lens Kit £1170

DEAL 5 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200mm WR Lenses £1100

ALL the above also include the FREE Pentax 35mm F2.4 AL LENS

I don't know weather just to get the camera body then get a Lens that is a little bit better so IQ would be that bit better,
as a beginner with DSLR what do the experienced users advice.

Also I was thinking along the lines of Deal 4 which comes with the 18-135WR.

As a beginner I am lookin for a lense that could be an all purpose lens for the first few months till I save more monies.
BUT I also want good quality,

I like taking Portraits, landscapes, I could get the camera and have about £500/ to £600 for la half decent lens or am I dreaming in total I have £1500 to spend
all advise GREATLY appreciated.

I have a Fuji HS50 and used it for learning, more about aperture, shutter speeds, ISO.

watched hundreds of YouTube videos on camera settings etc. etc. now want to move on and the Pentax K3 for me is the best camera out there, for the price range and IQ.

Tom G
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body????

-- hide signature --

+1 for Deal 1 for me, a Silver Limited Edition, free batt grip, extra batteries and as far as I remember is that it comes with a leather Pentax strap.

Since there will be a free DA 35mm f2.4, I'll be happy with that. Not really a fan of the 18-135WR but that's just my personal taste though

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Underdog 3000
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, 7 months ago

I would go with the 35 only.

The onther lenses listed won't help with that sensor.

Maybe try the sigma 17-70 as an all around unless you must have weather sealing.

Good luck and hope you get good copies!

Underdog 3000's gear list:Underdog 3000's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-5 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
2PK
2PK
Like?
In reply to miles green, 7 months ago

It is not a scam, they are selling you a US product at US price with import duty and VAT added at point of sale.

Look at the dollar price vs European prices and it works out to be slightly higher as they are obviously adding their margin.

We in Europe are subsidising low prices elsewhere, the camera costs the same to manufacture, package and distribute but for some reason sells for a £400 premium here.

pThe only scam is that they try to sell you an extended warranty and dubious third-party accessories but you just have to say no thanks and they leave it at that.

kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?

Deal #4 with a couple of primes.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?

2PK wrote:

Yes am not to sure if I would purchase fro SLRHut althought the price may be tempting but I don't want grey import???????????

The deals I mentioned are here

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/623/Pentax-K-3-Digital-SLR-Cameras.html

what do others

think about this company  SRS Microsystems

Also I would like to Thank everyone whom as answered to this post there advise is very much appreciated

Tom G

-- hide signature --

2PK
2PK
Like?

SRS are ok, I bought my K5 in 2010 from there and a number of lenses from them since.

miles green
Like?

2PK wrote:

SRS are ok, I bought my K5 in 2010 from there and a number of lenses from them since.

Me too, SRS is definitely reliable.

I'll investigate SLRHut. If they are still around in a couple of months, it would mean that they haven't been closed down. Then i might try them, but i'm still too scared. I'm in no rush, fortunately.  

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

miles green
Like?

If they're legit, it will be awesome!!!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads