decided on the pentax body .now what lens??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
akjos
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,487
Like?
decided on the pentax body .now what lens??
6 months ago

Thanks to all for opinions in my previous post . Quite awesome price on k5iis (600$ cheaper then k3) now is pushing me towards that. The price difference is too much to pass the deal up.
Im debating now what lens to get first ? ( im sure GAS will kick in sooner or later lol ...)
I kinda have my mind set on 18-135 wr. I like the fact its sealed making it great all around combo with pentax body.
Anyone here uses 18-135? And if so please report...
I found one on ebay for 399 new from authorized pentax dealer with usa warranty...

I by far dont have time and opportunities to shoot as mucb as i used to but every time i do i miss" real" camera. So price of k5iis is much easier to swallow then 600 more for k3.

Or should i get new sigma 17-70 2.8-4?? Ppl say its pretty great but its nice to have one all around lens that has little longer reach without being too long like 18-250 etc...

I had couple sigmas for nikon in the past and was never happy with them but lately sigma is probably getting better with quality control ( from what i heard)

Btw i loved 18-105 VR on my dx nikons prob my most used lens for about everything...so i think 18-135 could serve me well
If im happy overall esp with body and pentax in general ill think about some fast lenses like limited or 1.4 sigmas later.
Thanks again
--
http://www.pbase.com/jps1979/galleries

akjos
Like?
Re: decided on the pentax body .now what lens??
In reply to akjos, 6 months ago

And also is if got 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 plastic fantastics lol with the body there is 35 and 65 $ discount on each plus extra 35 on each instant savings... are they worth about 270 both for this pretty low price? I heard optics are pretty nice but what about plastic mounts??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
foto guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?

18-135 is decent and weather sealed. Good choice. Also get at least one fast lens for low light and sharper pix. After awhile, you'll figure out what lenses will suit you best.

-- hide signature --

Joe G.
'The universe is wider than our views of it.'
-- Henry David Thoreau

akjos
Like?
just cant decide .ugh
In reply to foto guy, 6 months ago

18-135 is decent and weather sealed. Good choice. Also get at least one fast lens for low light and sharper pix. After awhile, you'll figure out what lenses will suit you best.

-- hide signature --

Joe G.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Thanks... now... 18-270 is 200 off plus another 100 if i buy it with body... plus bh has 6% off on whole order for first time google wallet customers checkout... so i can get k5iis with 18-270 , 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 for 1370 shipped. Its pretty great deal i think... just if i get these 3 lenses together now im saving 500 bucks plus 6%
Sadly 18-135 is not an discounted option atm , only 18-270 ... i loved my superzoom days though lol.
Im so nervous ...if i click one button on my phone im 1370 bucks lighter lol...decisions decisions
--

akjos
Like?
In reply to foto guy, 6 months ago

-- hide signature --

Joe G.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Btw i already know what lenses suit me best...all the expensive ones i cant or dont want to afford now lol
--

justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,216Gear list
Like?

akjos wrote:

Thanks to all for opinions in my previous post . Quite awesome price on k5iis (600$ cheaper then k3) now is pushing me towards that. The price difference is too much to pass the deal up.
Im debating now what lens to get first ? ( im sure GAS will kick in sooner or later lol ...)

So the first thing you need to learn is around in Pentax land its called LBA which is short for Lens Buyers Anonymous Seriously no one uses GAS around here

I kinda have my mind set on 18-135 wr. I like the fact its sealed making it great all around combo with pentax body.
Anyone here uses 18-135? And if so please report...
I found one on ebay for 399 new from authorized pentax dealer with usa warranty...

I quite like it as it is WR and has a decent range to it. That said I rarely zoom to 135mm. I'm eagerly awaiting the new wide angle lens that will be WR, although details and release date are unknown.

IMO its better than the 18-55 WR lens that comes as a kit.

I by far dont have time and opportunities to shoot as mucb as i used to but every time i do i miss" real" camera. So price of k5iis is much easier to swallow then 600 more for k3.

Or should i get new sigma 17-70 2.8-4?? Ppl say its pretty great but its nice to have one all around lens that has little longer reach without being too long like 18-250 etc...

Depends if the weather sealing means as much as the lens and or range. Plenty of options in the 16/17/18-whatever zoom range.

Single long range zooms are always optically not as good as a shorter range zoom or a prime lens.

I had couple sigmas for nikon in the past and was never happy with them but lately sigma is probably getting better with quality control ( from what i heard)

Sigma is fine. I only have their 8-16, because they produce a cooler colour cast than the Pentax I'm not as huge a fan of them. Many here use their longer lenses though which is where the value is.  In most cases the Sigma lenses are fine.

Btw i loved 18-105 VR on my dx nikons prob my most used lens for about everything...so i think 18-135 could serve me well

Sounds like it.

If im happy overall esp with body and pentax in general ill think about some fast lenses like limited or 1.4 sigmas later.
Thanks again
--

Don't get confused about faster lenses always being better.  They generally are, but many f4 zooms are just as good.  Unless you need to shoot a lens wide open because of fast movement especially indoor sports or shallow DOF for portraits etc, often there is no need to have a fast lens, because high ISO on todays cameras is pretty good.

That said the limited series of lenses are fantastic, not always super fast but usually really nice lenses with really nice rendering.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Benoz
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,248Gear list
Like?

The two lenses I use most with my K-5IIs:

1) 18-135 WR, great walk around lens

2) Sigma 17-70 (older model), faster lens, very sharp, macro, quite economical.

These two got me going for some time with my previous K-200, K-7 and K-5.

After, when the LBA kicked-in , I added the 35mm macro limited and the 55-300, the 50mm 1.4, Sigma 105 macro and few cheap manual lenses.

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +3 more
akjos
Like?
In reply to Benoz, 6 months ago

Thanks guys for resposes... i have 3 choices ...18-135, 18-270 which im not so sure about and sigma new version ( contemporary) 17-70. I kinda like that one but had bad luck with sigma quality. But with new line of USB dock compatible lenses that might change and that alone looks pretty appealing as an option .
Or maybe ill just get body and 2 plastic fantastics to start with even though one is 50 and one 85 or so eqv fl...
Idk i guess ill sleep on it lol.
--

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,442Gear list
Like?

I just got a new Pentax 18-135 so I shot a series of photos on my K3 to compare it to my Sigma 18-200 and Pentax 18-270.

As one should expect, the more zoom range, the less resolution you get.   18-135 is the best lens of the three.

I also find that the 18-135 focuses faster than the 18-200 and 18-270.  No hunting, camera just finds focus in a few steps)

I also compared my new 18-135 to a Nikon 18-140 on a D7100 and Sony 18-135 on an A65.  (apertures as wide as they can go at each focal length I tested from zoomed in to zoomed out, all 24 MP APS-C sensors.)

Overall the image quality of the Pentax 18-135 was very similar to the Nikon 18-140.    The Sony 18-135 was a bit better than those two.

It is nice the Sony and Pentax correct chromatic aberration and distortion for their lenses.   The Nikon D7100 does not correct distortion, only chromatic aberration.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,392Gear list
Like?

Go 18-135 WR, round aperture blades and DC motor!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 6 months ago

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

I would concur with above and all others whom voted the 18-135. I have much bigger and more expensive glass, but when it comes time to pure flexibility, then teh 18-135 trumps them all. Here's a recently made photo essay by me that has 40 pictures from a recent winter military training experience in Finland. All shot with the 18-135.

Finnish Winter Training

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?

Looked through your DPR gallery...I am supposed to be sleeping but had to finish.  You have some really wonderful shots in there.  My question is why would you want to change gear?  Well, I get it sometimes it just feels right.  But you really seem to click with the Nikon gear you have currently.

Still from reading your posts and based on what you like and have now it's not a bad idea to go with the K5IIs mated with the 18-135WR.  That gets you in "the club".  From there you can decide where the mood takes you.

Don't over think it because there is no "perfect" choice.  If you stay in your comfort zone now you will have one less thing to adjust to upfront.  The K5IIs is a great deal if you can find it under $700us new with warranty.  Even better if you find a kit somewhere with the 18-135WR but don't count on that one happening unless a vendor makes their own "kit".

Best of luck deciding...look forward to seeing what you can do with a Pentax kit.  

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: just cant decide .ugh

akjos wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joe G.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Thanks... now... 18-270 is 200 off plus another 100 if i buy it with body... plus bh has 6% off on whole order for first time google wallet customers checkout... so i can get k5iis with 18-270 , 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 for 1370 shipped. Its pretty great deal i think... just if i get these 3 lenses together now im saving 500 bucks plus 6%
Sadly 18-135 is not an discounted option atm , only 18-270 ... i loved my superzoom days though lol.
Im so nervous ...if i click one button on my phone im 1370 bucks lighter lol...decisions decisions
--

Though the 18-270 is more versatile than the 18-135, I went for the 18-135 after I found a link posted by someone comparing 18-55WR, 18-135WR and 18-270WR.  18-135WR was found to be better among the three but don't expect too much from it or try to compare with primes or more expensive DA* glasses though.  I also have a DA50mm f1.8 for portrait.

The #1 and #2 below are from 18-135 and the #3 is from 50f1.8.

Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
akjos
Like?
In reply to Heie2, 6 months ago

Heie2 wrote:

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

I would concur with above and all others whom voted the 18-135. I have much bigger and more expensive glass, but when it comes time to pure flexibility, then teh 18-135 trumps them all. Here's a recently made photo essay by me that has 40 pictures from a recent winter military training experience in Finland. All shot with the 18-135.

Finnish Winter Training

Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Need affordable /weather sealing/ in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded
Think there aren't any opportunities to shoot in poor weather, and thus no benefits to weather sealing?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42338261

akjos
Like?
In reply to brecklundin, 6 months ago

brecklundin wrote:

Looked through your DPR gallery...I am supposed to be sleeping but had to finish. You have some really wonderful shots in there. My question is why would you want to change gear? Well, I get it sometimes it just feels right. But you really seem to click with the Nikon gear you have currently.

Still from reading your posts and based on what you like and have now it's not a bad idea to go with the K5IIs mated with the 18-135WR. That gets you in "the club". From there you can decide where the mood takes you.

Don't over think it because there is no "perfect" choice. If you stay in your comfort zone now you will have one less thing to adjust to upfront. The K5IIs is a great deal if you can find it under $700us new with warranty. Even better if you find a kit somewhere with the 18-135WR but don't count on that one happening unless a vendor makes their own "kit".

Best of luck deciding...look forward to seeing what you can do with a Pentax kit.

Thanks

I dont have ANY gear or lenses last 3 years except sony rx100 pocket rocket lol. Id buy update of d300 on the heartbeat but looks like they never going to make one  and d7100 is quite horrible ergononics wise. D700 was ok but i dont want full frame again any time soon for casual shooting.  So pentax was kinda sensible choice esp with great pricing now...

breeze_of_wind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 6 months ago

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

The right single lens
.  Hands down -- no question

John

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
plastic fantastics are great

so not many people answering your second question - the da35 f2.4 is really sharp from wide open - stop it down a touch and it has a great 3d feel to it.  good colors, excellent contrast.  super light and small to carry around.  easily worth the money.

the da50 1./8 is superb also - rounded aperture blades so good bokeh, good color and sharpness.  if you like portraits, this would be a great lens.  and for what you're paying for it after the rebate, the resale value will be pretty close.  I would get it if you have the $.

by the way, the 18-270 is NOT wr.  I always carry at least one WR lens when on a trip because you just never know.  and the pic quality from the 18-135 is excellent.  I just bought the 55-300wr yesterday and I am very impressed with it.  Not da*60-250 quality, but it's a lot lighter to carry.  here's some test pics:

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,816
Like?
are you sure?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 6 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

It is nice the Sony and Pentax correct chromatic aberration and distortion for their lenses.   The Nikon D7100 does not correct distortion, only chromatic aberration.

Page 227 of the manual explicitely mention s barrel and pincussion reduction. It's one of the reasons I alsways have off, because ACR does it better if needed and it slows down the camera considerably.

lock

dpnaiba
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?

I love the 18-135, its such a convenient lens. And being tough and WR, I can hike with it and the K5 on my back, even when airsofting (I'm a bit crazy yeah).

The thing is, I only choose it when its bad weather outside, in good weather I normally give preference to faster lenses that I have. Every time I go with the 18-135, I'm reminded how good pictures it takes, at least by my standards?

These are my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elanaiba/tags/pentaxsmcda18135mmf3556edalifwr/

The 35mm plastic wonder is also very good, I kicked myself for not buying it ages ago, in my K100D days. Keep in mind the 18-135 is mostly too slow to use inside, so the 35mm will fit that bill nicely. Great for taking photos of kids.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elanaiba/tags/da35mmf24al/

dpnaiba's gear list:dpnaiba's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
akjos
Like?
Re: plastic fantastics are great
In reply to Mike Hiran, 6 months ago

Nice shots... did u use the 55-300??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads