Oystercatcher with HD DA 1.4x Tele'

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
farnorthfocus
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Oystercatcher with HD DA 1.4x Tele'
7 months ago

All; With a break in the weather thought I would test the new converter on a most willing subject, not the most rare of birds or the most difficult to photograph but one of the most photogenic you can easily find. (Eurasian) Oystercatcher . Car window and beanbag, very dull day and very near to minimal focus for the DA*300 and 1.4 Tele combo. Have also added first bumblebee of the year and Canada Goose ssp canadensis in for good measure.

Enjoy

martyn

visit www.farnorthfocus.co.uk

farnorthfocus's gear list:farnorthfocus's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +8 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,638Gear list
Like?
Re: Oystercatcher with HD DA 1.4x Tele'
In reply to farnorthfocus, 7 months ago

Impressive! 

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,832
Like?

With such a grey background you can increase the exposure to show more detail in the shadows, consider increasing it until the grey is getting close to being blown out.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

farnorthfocus
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

Thanks Miles for the kind words.

Mighty Mike, know what you mean, but too much lightening shows up the high iso grain in the black which shows the "noise". The sky i.e. background is as near as it was, grey grey grey.Getting a balance between the white /black on grey background , something has to suffer. But I don't tend to do a lot in "post" if i can help it. thanks for the thought though. might tweak a little later on.

martyn

Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +8 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,832
Like?

farnorthfocus wrote:

Thanks Miles for the kind words.

Mighty Mike, know what you mean, but too much lightening shows up the high iso grain in the black which shows the "noise". The sky i.e. background is as near as it was, grey grey grey.Getting a balance between the white /black on grey background , something has to suffer. But I don't tend to do a lot in "post" if i can help it. thanks for the thought though. might tweak a little later on.

martyn

You are at ISO800 and ISO400, you've got room to lift those shadows without too much harmful noise... the noise is there regardless so its not like you'll lose any more detail by doing it. Sometimes (like in backlit situations) you need to let the background blow out so the subject isn't a silhouette, the background certainly wasn't the main subject in the photo. So if not in post then simple EV+ works, EV+1 would be better and you might be able to go just a little further on these photos.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

farnorthfocus
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

Mighty Mike; Yes understand what you say, tweaked the series of photos again and found it too easy to show the noise if easing the shadows but it does help bringing up the exposure, it does lift detail in the blacks.

Must try to up my game on the post processing, using Lightroom 5.3 and DxO film pack 4. I do find though after transferring pics to iPhoto on the Mac ups the exposure compared to looking in Lightroom and they look even better on the iPad.

Trying to get all mediums to look the same is a problem. (don't get me started on printing, do not do much these days)

regards and thanks

martyn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads