K-5, K-3 Auto Bracketing

Started 9 months ago | Questions
kmarceau
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
K-5, K-3 Auto Bracketing
9 months ago

Could a firmware upgrade change the maximum number of bracketed images from 5 to 7 or 9?

Does anybody know how to accomplish this if a firmware upgrade wouldn't do it?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Perham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
Re: K-5, K-3 Auto Bracketing
In reply to kmarceau, 9 months ago

Use the exposure bracketing in conjunction with the exposure compensation to extend the range.

Michael Perham's gear list:Michael Perham's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cideway
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,694Gear list
Like?

Possibly easy enough, but the question would be what is the point?

-- hide signature --

Chris.
A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside
GMT +9.5
Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Copal1
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to Cideway, 9 months ago

If you do serious HDR photography in high contrast situations, taking 7 or 9 images help immensely to capture the whole contrast range. That's why other brands offer this capability in their top of the line models. I hope Pentax does the same in future camera bodies, but I have no idea if this can be done via a firmware update.

Cideway wrote:

Possibly easy enough, but the question would be what is the point?

-- hide signature --

Chris.
A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,578
Like?
In reply to Copal1, 9 months ago

Copal1 wrote:

If you do serious HDR photography in high contrast situations, taking 7 or 9 images help immensely to capture the whole contrast range.

Can't you just take a two rounds of shots? Put the camera into Av mode, set 5 photo bracket at 1EV steps, then set EV comp up to +2EV. Take the first set of photos with one push of the shutter, then drop EV Comp to -3EV and take the second set of photos. That will give to -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, and +4 photos with just two presses of the shutter button.

Thank you
Russell

kmarceau
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 9 months ago

That is the work-around. It would just be so much easier to accomplish this with one push of the shutter button instead of firing one series, making an adjustment, then firing the second series. Especially with handheld shots.
The AA filter bracketing feature that was added via firmware got me thinking about this. That's also a feature that might seem unnecessary since one could achieve the same result by taking a shot with AA filter and then switching the filter off to take the second shot. So much nicer with the AA bracketing though.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,104Gear list
Like?

kmarceau wrote:

That is the work-around. It would just be so much easier to accomplish this with one push of the shutter button instead of firing one series, making an adjustment, then firing the second series. Especially with handheld shots.
The AA filter bracketing feature that was added via firmware got me thinking about this. That's also a feature that might seem unnecessary since one could achieve the same result by taking a shot with AA filter and then switching the filter off to take the second shot. So much nicer with the AA bracketing though.

I assume it all is kind of compromise. The camera has zillions of settings, any one user is only using a permille of them all.

Every new setting can be motivated and every extension of an existing setting can be motivated. There has to be a limit somewhere.

Regarding the bracketing setting - it is probably there to give you exposure bracketing, i.e. an image with better exposure, if the one in the middle is wrong. Then, the current solution is enough. Taking 7 exposures to get the optimal one is not necessary for digital cameras. Personally when making bracketing I set it up so that the the brightest one is at compensation 0, and the two other are one or two stops less exposed. Then I can, if the brightest one clips, choose a less exposed one.

BTW - K3 has a RAW HDR mode. Is that a solution?

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,578
Like?

kmarceau wrote:

You can set the two modes up as two USER Modes. USER Modes capture the bracketing settings as well as the EV compensation setting, so that it is only you changing one setting between shots.

I don't think I denied that this want isn't valid, I just posted what I thought would be a good way to accomplish what the OP wanted, with what we have today. The OP did say "Does anybody know how to accomplish this if a firmware upgrade wouldn't do it?" in starting this tread after all.

I see now that Michael Perham already answered the OP's question before I did. Maybe I can get the bonus points for pointing out the use of USER modes to make this easier?

Thank you
Russell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads