Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X - opinions???

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
TRP
TRP
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X - opinions???
9 months ago

Regarding the AF version of this lense, how does this rate as a telephoto option for Pentax? I know the Sigma 400mm telemacro is coveted, and the non macro versions are not very sharp, so I was wondering how the Tokina stacked up against those lenses?

Existing info online is sparse...

-- hide signature --

https://www.facebook.com/GreinerStudio
---
Pentax K5
Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Pentax SMCP-DA 40 f/2.8 ED Limited Edition
Pentax D-FA 100 f/2.8 Macro WR
Sigma 170-500 5-6.3 Apo Asph F/px-af

Dana F
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X - opinions???
In reply to TRP, 9 months ago

Opinions are split 50/50. I like my copy of the lens. Relatively sharp wide open, better at f8 and up. I've had the manual focus lens also and find the AF version sharper. It will do a little hunting in the shade or on cloudy days. A friend has the Sigma and has said the Tokina appears sharper.

It will CA with white birds in bright sun, can be fixed in PP or using exposure compensation.

Pretty good price for a 400mm prime with AF. Price ranges $400 to $600 range.

Dana

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TRP
TRP
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
In reply to Dana F, 9 months ago

Opinions are split 50/50. I like my copy of the lens. Relatively sharp wide open, better at f8 and up. I've had the manual focus lens also and find the AF version sharper. It will do a little hunting in the shade or on cloudy days. A friend has the Sigma and has said the Tokina appears sharper.

It will CA with white birds in bright sun, can be fixed in PP or using exposure compensation.

Pretty good price for a 400mm prime with AF. Price ranges $400 to $600 range.

Dana

And you are comparing to the sigma 77mm telemacro, or 72mm version?
--
https://www.facebook.com/GreinerStudio
---
Pentax K5
Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Pentax SMCP-DA 40 f/2.8 ED Limited Edition
Pentax D-FA 100 f/2.8 Macro WR
Sigma 170-500 5-6.3 Apo Asph F/px-af

LDBOK
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dana F, 9 months ago

This was my only long AF lens during film days and I was quite satisfied with it. It is a little soft wide open but sharpens up nicely at f8. The story is different with digital, however. It has very bad purple fringing on just about all high contrast edges. The PF can usually be removed in Lightroom, but in a some situations can't be totally removed. This problem led me to get the Sigma 150-500, which has very little CA and virtually no PF. The Tokina is much nicer from a handling standpoint as it is very small for a 400mm and weighs much less than the Sigma 150-500, which can be a load to carry very far.

LDBOK's gear list:LDBOK's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
scve
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?

I own both the Tokina ATX-AF and the Sigma Apo Macro 5,6/400. Of course the Sigma is the winner, sharp wide open, no CA. But it is a lot bigger too, so when I travel for longer periods, want to travel light, but not without a 400, I do find myself taking the Tokina and trade the nuisance of being bulky for the nuisance of postprocessing. At 8-11 the Tokina is certainly sharp but removing CA (pronounced purple edges on harsh contrasts) is inevitable.

scve's gear list:scve's gear list
Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +1 more
M R Padmaraju
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?

Here is my Tokina 400 5.6  SD result . ATX may be better in my opinion .  This is with Takumar  2x , equivalent of 1200 mm ., at effective F.16 .    Good luck .

mrp.

M R Padmaraju's gear list:M R Padmaraju's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-500 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads