No Focus Points Displayed in K-500 Viewfinder

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
happy guardian
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
No Focus Points Displayed in K-500 Viewfinder
4 months ago

I recently borrowed my friends K-500 and to my dismay discovered it did not have any focus points displayed in the viewfinder. SO how do you confirm which focus point of the 11 was selected in the photograph? It seems like an odd omission.

Pentax K-500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Benoz
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,157Gear list
Like?
Re: No Focus Points Displayed in K-500 Viewfinder
In reply to happy guardian, 4 months ago

happy guardian wrote:

I recently borrowed my friends K-500 and to my dismay discovered it did not have any focus points displayed in the viewfinder. SO how do you confirm which focus point of the 11 was selected in the photograph? It seems like an odd omission.

From DPR: "Physically, the K-500 fits in the hand as well as any other inexpensive digital SLR, with good button and control placement. Where it lags behind any competitive model is with its lack of AF confirmation in the viewfinder. Whereas every other bargain SLR at least tells you which AF point is active, the K500 offers only simple brackets to hint at where AF points might be located."

The K-500 comes with a stripped down specifications of the K-50, though they could have included the focus point confirmation!

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?

I don't know for sure but i think PhotoME shows where the focus point is.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/sets/72157608347425374/

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
Brad99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,983
Like?

It's cheap for a reason.

Isn't the AF point shown on the rear LCD?

happy guardian
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Mike Hiran, 4 months ago

That's why I could not understand why he got it in the first place. However, the photo quality it produces is top notch.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,337Gear list
Like?

happy guardian wrote:

There's nothing odd about it.

Ricoh Imaging made the excellent K-50 (yes, it's basically a K-30); an affordable camera with high-end features like 100% viewfinder and weather sealing.

However, they also needed a slightly cheaper model (without having to design a new body) - so they removed the weather sealing, AF points illuminator and orientation sensor.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Dell U2410
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 4 months ago

Alex Sarbu wrote:

happy guardian wrote:

There's nothing odd about it.

Ricoh Imaging made the excellent K-50 (yes, it's basically a K-30); an affordable camera with high-end features like 100% viewfinder and weather sealing.

However, they also needed a slightly cheaper model (without having to design a new body) - so they removed the weather sealing, AF points illuminator and orientation sensor.

Alex

Yes, in Pentax forums.com:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-500.html

Compared to the K-50 the differences are:

- No weather-sealing
- No electronic level
- No automatic horizon correction

and:

AF Points in viewfinder
No

Dell U2410's gear list:Dell U2410's gear list
Pentax K-m Pentax K10D Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dell U2410, 4 months ago

Dell U2410 wrote:

Yes, in Pentax forums.com:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-500.html

Compared to the K-50 the differences are:

- No weather-sealing
- No electronic level
- No automatic horizon correction

and:

AF Points in viewfinder
No

This seems like an attempt to compete with the truly stripped-down camera models found in big box stores as a matter of emphasizing price point. To the extent that the strategy didn't land Ricoh/Pentax any of those contracts (at least not in the US), it probably looks objectively weird.

You lose four relatively significant features for about $50-60 reduction in price point. Few would go the cheaper route given a full understanding of the trade-off, but that's typically done outside the big-box marketing realm.

Possibly, Pentax could have gone with a Penta-mirror (although that's an added design-production cost) and kept the AF points lighting for about the same price point or a bit less (good penta-prisms aren't cheap). That would have been a more-logical route to take, as entry level buyers aren't generally weighing the mirror/prism difference - at least compared to blinking lights in the VF.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads