A7, Canon 70d, Or a6000?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
tianoy0218
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
A7, Canon 70d, Or a6000?
9 months ago

Hello, I recently purchased sony a7 from B&H but I am still looking for more opinions on whether to keep it or not. I just want to do photography for fun, nothing serious. Looking at cameras has always fascinated me and I'm actually excited that I'm finally getting one but I don't know if I made the right choice. I mainly shoot still objects for fun. Also, I'm considering the 70d because of its price point but the size of it is too intimidating for a beginner like me.I don't know much about the a6000 but I have been hearing good reviews about it.  HELP PLS!

tianoy0218's gear list:tianoy0218's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aramgrg
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
Re: A7, Canon 70d, Or a6000?
In reply to tianoy0218, 9 months ago

Hello, I recently purchased sony a7 from B&H but I am still looking for more opinions on whether to keep it or not. I just want to do photography for fun, nothing serious. Looking at cameras has always fascinated me and I'm actually excited that I'm finally getting one but I don't know if I made the right choice. I mainly shoot still objects for fun. Also, I'm considering the 70d because of its price point but the size of it is too intimidating for a beginner like me.I don't know much about the a6000 but I have been hearing good reviews about it.  HELP PLS!

A7 is a great camera, which is a new benchmark in photographic equipment history, it is a very capable tool and I do not see any reason to return it for the cameras you have mentioned. Keep it!

aramgrg's gear list:aramgrg's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,236Gear list
Like?

keep the a7, dont forget to do the firmware update!

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,422Gear list
Like?

I would suggest you take a look at those bridge camera like Canon G1x MKII and Sony RX10, it will be more fun to shoot with than those interchangeble lens camera plus a kit lens.

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
Only change if ...

You should only change camera if :

• You prefer the handling of one of those systems to the others so much that it's worth the change.
  • They offer something your existing camera cannot do
  • There is a particular type of lens you want that is not available for your existing camera but the other one has a suitable lens.

The A7 is a very good camera. You can shoot static subjects with any camera. There would be little difference from your point of view between the results from any of these systems.

Should you move to other types of photography ( like sports or where you need to use flash ) the Canon 70D ( or some other DSLRs ) might be better for the lens options, focus systems and flash capabilities they offer. However at present you have a good camera ( with the best sensor of the three ) that will do well for you if you learn to use it.

There is a Sony E-mount forum here which you should visit.

Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re:

Definitely stick with the A7 unless you can move to the 6D or 5D III

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

It depends on why you are asking this question. The a7 is a fine camera and the only FF of the three. Sony a6000 is from the same mount but APSc (and sounds like a very capable camera while being the cheapest). The 70D is an APSc DSLR but with mirrorless intentions for liveview.

If you really want to enjoy photography, I would keep a7 and pick up a few legacy lenses. You can do the same with a6000 but with FF, you get to use the lens for the field of view it was designed for.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
tianoy0218
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

Im thinking of getting the Sonnar FE 55mm F1.8 when i save enough money for it. So what do you guys think? Do  you guys know a lens thats a bit cheaper than the Seizz? Thanks for all the replies. Im keeping the camera.

tianoy0218's gear list:tianoy0218's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Hello, I recently purchased sony a7 from B&H but I am still looking for more opinions on whether to keep it or not. I just want to do photography for fun, nothing serious. Looking at cameras has always fascinated me and I'm actually excited that I'm finally getting one but I don't know if I made the right choice. I mainly shoot still objects for fun. Also, I'm considering the 70d because of its price point but the size of it is too intimidating for a beginner like me.I don't know much about the a6000 but I have been hearing good reviews about it. HELP PLS!

It depends on why you are asking this question. The a7 is a fine camera and the only FF of the three. Sony a6000 is from the same mount but APSc (and sounds like a very capable camera while being the cheapest). The 70D is an APSc DSLR but with mirrorless intentions for liveview.

If you really want to enjoy photography, I would keep a7 and pick up a few legacy lenses. You can do the same with a6000 but with FF, you get to use the lens for the field of view it was designed for.

Yeah.... I agree, the A7 seems like an ideal camera to use with old lenses. As long as you don't mind manual focusing you could have a range of really nice lenses for cheap. For the stuff that you know that you're really going to want AF capabilities you can buy a few Sony lenses as well. I think that there's an article on here about using the A7 with legacy lenses and I might check that out. 
Honestly, if it were me and I was looking at all of those choices I think that I'd probably choose the A7 largely because it would seem to work so well with those old lenses and I love the idea of using the best of the new with the old...

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

Im thinking of getting the Sonnar FE 55mm F1.8 when i save enough money for it. So what do you guys think? Do  you guys know a lens thats a bit cheaper than the Seizz? Thanks for all the replies. Im keeping the camera.

Well, the Sony 55/1.8 ZA is a nice lens. It is the only native option at this time. But of course you could go cheaper as long as you don't mind using an adapter. Speaking of which, I have an old Canon 50/1.4 (Leica Thread Mount) which might be worth looking at on a7. Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 are excellent lenses (I have the latter, and it is my favorite of five or so 50-55mm lenses in my collection and a pleasure to use with manual focus). Contax 45/2 is another well respected option.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 879Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron801, 9 months ago

OK... I just looked at that article about using the A7 with legacy lenses and it mentions issues. So... I take back what I said about this camera being ideal as platform for these old lenses. it sounds like focusing is a real issue. I've had some problem with that on my m4/3 GH2 with an old lens that I used with an adaptor. Not that crazy that it changes the field of view either. At least with the A7 you get the same view as on a 35mm camera.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868Gear list
Like?

"I am considering the 70D..."

There is no reason to get a 70D since you say you are interested in stills.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Re: Only change if ...
In reply to darklamp, 9 months ago

darklamp wrote:

You should only change camera if :

• You prefer the handling of one of those systems to the others so much that it's worth the change.
  • They offer something your existing camera cannot do
  • There is a particular type of lens you want that is not available for your existing camera but the other one has a suitable lens.

Darklamp,

I agree with you 100%. I am glad to hear you say it.

I am moving from a Canon G1X to an Olympus EM 10 (with a Pan 20mm f1.7) because I much prefer the handling and more important, it has a fine 60mm f2.8 lens that I have tested that works well for digitizing full frame and half-frame slides, of which I have thousands, and is great for portraiture.

But I have no illusions that the quality of my images will improve (outside of digitization of slides.) That depends on my ability as a photographer, unfortunately.

I think that the camera is a distant third in its influence on the a quality of the image (except in specialized areas like sports or digitization of slides, which require specialized lenses).

Of more influence is the ability of the photographer.

Of greatest influence is the  SUBJECT, the subject that calls to the  photographer. IF a subject calls to the photographer and truly engages him or her.

From that engagement, composition and lighting will emerge naturally,  to whatever extent made possible by the subject and the situation. This means of course that some of the greatest photographs are unsharp or badly lighted or technically flawed in other ways.

Krugman

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Aaron801, 9 months ago

OK... I just looked at that article about using the A7 with legacy lenses and it mentions issues. So... I take back what I said about this camera being ideal as platform for these old lenses. it sounds like focusing is a real issue. I've had some problem with that on my m4/3 GH2 with an old lens that I used with an adaptor. Not that crazy that it changes the field of view either. At least with the A7 you get the same view as on a 35mm camera.

It is an absolute pleasure to use legacy glass on any E-mount camera. I have seen the article you mention and it made me question the author. I got into E-mount for that reason and it us my pick to go MF and legacy lenses.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

"I am considering the 70D..."

There is no reason to get a 70D since you say you are interested in stills.

In fact, I would say, for video, any of these cameras would work... especially a6000 (you can even tune AF speed to taste from three settings, I believe). Both a7 and a6000 also have zebra, focus peaking as assist tools.

Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,192Gear list
Like?

You should have asked this before purchasing the A7. Using BH as a rental service is unethical.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Abaregi
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?

The A7 is a mighty fine camera, keep it.

Seeing as you already bought it though you are in luck unless you are looking for a second camera.

Next time i recommend trying in a store or renting a camera if you are uncertain.

Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?

tianoy0218 wrote:

Hello, I recently purchased sony a7 from B&H but I am still looking for more opinions on whether to keep it or not. I just want to do photography for fun, nothing serious. Looking at cameras has always fascinated me and I'm actually excited that I'm finally getting one but I don't know if I made the right choice. I mainly shoot still objects for fun. Also, I'm considering the 70d because of its price point but the size of it is too intimidating for a beginner like me.I don't know much about the a6000 but I have been hearing good reviews about it. HELP PLS!

Keep it. It's a great camera and some poor sucker will get your cast off if you send it back!

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads