Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,431Gear list
Like?
Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens
4 months ago

When I had difficulty focusing my 35mm Summilux closer than 3 feet this morning, I decided to try two Nikon MF primes - a 28mm f2.8 Ai and a 28mm f3.5 Ai - both inherited from my late father, a photographer for Bethlehem Steel. Both old primes focus very close - and a few years back, I'd shot the f2.8 on a Nikon FM, and it worked really well.

But when I tested both today on my A7, both were soft on the sides and corners - even at f5.6 and 8. They were very distortion free.But useless for landscapes

And so, for comparison, I shot the same scene with my kit zoom at 28mm f3.5. No comparison - the kit was sharp side to side, a tiny bit of corner softness. Even with LR 5.3, there was a quite a bit of vertical distortion beyond the lens correction profile. But the kit was sharper, more contrasty, more colorful. And a simple slider fixed it. The distortion would not likely be even noticed except for architecture and cityscapes.

Anyone interested I can upload examples. But the first time some revered old primes tested so badly compared to a lowly kit zoom.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Re: Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

My bet is that adapter registration distance is off.

Mel Snyder wrote:

When I had difficulty focusing my 35mm Summilux closer than 3 feet this morning, I decided to try two Nikon MF primes - a 28mm f2.8 Ai and a 28mm f3.5 Ai - both inherited from my late father, an photographer for Bethlehem Steel. Both focus very close - and a few years back, I'd shot the f2.8 on a Nikon FM, and it worked really well.

But when I tested both today on my A7, both were soft on the sides and corners - even at f5.6 and 8. They were very distortion free.But useless for landscapes

And so, for comparison, I shot the same scene with my kit zoom at 28mm f3.5. No comparison - the kit was sharp side to side, a tiny bit of corner softness. Even with LR 5.3, there was a quite a bit of vertical distortion beyond the lens correction profile. But the kit was sharper, more contrasty, more colorful. And a simple slider fixed it.

Anyone interested I can upload examples. But the first time some revered old primes tested so badly compared to a lowly kit zoom.

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iso light
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens

Hi Mel,

The A7 lens kit is not so lowly actually. I made some test shots between it and the Zeiss FE 24-70mm (with a tripod and the same settings) and to my surprise, the lens kit is the better option - at least for me. Better colors, sharper across the frame in general. Plus it is lighter and smaller

So I have high hope for the upcoming Sony 70-200mm now!

Cheers,

iso.light

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 4 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

When I had difficulty focusing my 35mm Summilux closer than 3 feet this morning, I decided to try two Nikon MF primes - a 28mm f2.8 Ai and a 28mm f3.5 Ai - both inherited from my late father, an photographer for Bethlehem Steel. Both focus very close - and a few years back, I'd shot the f2.8 on a Nikon FM, and it worked really well.

And so, for comparison, I shot the same scene with my kit zoom at 28mm f3.5. No comparison - the kit was sharp side to side, a tiny bit of corner softness. Even with LR 5.3, there was a quite a bit of vertical distortion beyond the lens correction profile. But the kit was sharper, more contrasty, more colorful. And a simple slider fixed it.

Could be - but it is perfect on my 85mm f2 Nikkor AiS and my 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro, both wide open to exaggerate potential issues - that would cover registration issues with the lens with the smallest and longest helical travel close to infinity.

That's the only way I could think of a registration issue - one side should be out more than the other if the adapter wasn't straight in one plane or another - right? How else might I test it

I agree it is weird that both would be soft on the sides and sharp in the center. The 28mm f2.8 AiS gets a 100 score from http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp so I assumed it would be great. But that score was on an APS-C camera, which doesn't see the edges.

I am more than ready to purchase a new adapter, if it's an adapter issue.

OOC image of the 85mm f2 at f2 - tree limbs sharp across frame

OOC image of the 28mm f2.8 at f2.8 - note the branches of tree at far left, evergreen at far right - worse on left = decentering?

Tokina 17mm f3.5 @ f4 - DOF here might cover ills, but so should long shot of 28mm above

Do you see anything?

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?

I believe it; old lenses (especially wideangle ones) are not always what our memories think they were.

If all the corners are a bit soft, then it is almost certainly nothing to do with the adapter. if one side or or one corner, then maybe  (or else the lens has been jolted a bit)

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +12 more
bigley Ling
Contributing MemberPosts: 964
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Could be - but it is perfect on my 85mm f2 Nikkor AiS and my 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro, both wide open to exaggerate potential issues - that would cover registration issues with the lens with the smallest and longest helical travel close to infinity.

That's the only way I could think of a registration issue - one side should be out more than the other if the adapter wasn't straight in one plane or another - right? How else might I test it

I agree it is weird that both would be soft on the sides and sharp in the center. The 28mm f2.8 AiS gets a 100 score from http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp so I assumed it would be great. But that score was on an APS-C camera, which doesn't see the edges.

OOC image of the 28mm f2.8 at f2.8 - note the branches of tree at far left, evergreen at far right - worse on left = decentering?

Tokina 17mm f3.5 @ f4 - DOF here might cover ills, but so should long shot of 28mm above

Do you see anything?

It is possible that the design of the old nikkors are not suited for the A7 or A7r. The old AIS lens was designed for film, whereas the kit lens for your a7 is designed for digital. Also I suspect the A7 has built in correction data to remmedy alot of issues like CA bignetting etc.

I have used my 28mm f2.8 MF nikkor on speed booster on my Nex 5r and and found the sharpness to be adequate in the corners wide open.

Mel Snyder
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

I agree it is weird that both would be soft on the sides and sharp in the center. The 28mm f2.8 AiS gets a 100 score from http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp so I assumed it would be great. But that score was on an APS-C camera, which doesn't see the edges.

Do you see anything? (other than I didn't notice the window frame at the top!) 

Kit lens before tilt correction - sharp across frame

Tilt corrected in LR5.3

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to bigley Ling, 4 months ago

Please check the kit lens images I just added - distortion is significant but correctable - but MUCH sharper

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to dbm305, 4 months ago

dbm305 wrote:

I believe it; old lenses (especially wideangle ones) are not always what our memories think they were.

If all the corners are a bit soft, then it is almost certainly nothing to do with the adapter. if one side or or one corner, then maybe (or else the lens has been jolted a bit)

Please check the comparison with the kit lens I added - thanks!

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Do you see anything?

I don't see a shot from the kit lens and one from the AI lens at the same aperture to make any comparison

The 28mm 2.8 looks far from great wide open at that distance. Maybe it excels at closer or longer range? Maybe it's significantly better stopped down a click or two?

Isn't the 28mm 2.8 AIS supposed to be superior to the earlier lens?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,741Gear list
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

When I had difficulty focusing my 35mm Summilux closer than 3 feet this morning, I decided to try two Nikon MF primes - a 28mm f2.8 Ai and a 28mm f3.5 Ai - both inherited from my late father, a photographer for Bethlehem Steel. Both old primes focus very close - and a few years back, I'd shot the f2.8 on a Nikon FM, and it worked really well.

And so, for comparison, I shot the same scene with my kit zoom at 28mm f3.5. No comparison - the kit was sharp side to side, a tiny bit of corner softness. Even with LR 5.3, there was a quite a bit of vertical distortion beyond the lens correction profile. But the kit was sharper, more contrasty, more colorful. And a simple slider fixed it. The distortion would not likely be even noticed except for architecture and cityscapes.

Very interesting, Mel,

look at my earlier post again - I see the kit 'trailing' the primes, but like the kit none-the-less:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3613748

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, 4 months ago

SimonOL wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Do you see anything?

I don't see a shot from the kit lens and one from the AI lens at the same aperture to make any comparison

The 28mm 2.8 looks far from great wide open at that distance. Maybe it excels at closer or longer range? Maybe it's significantly better stopped down a click or two?

Isn't the 28mm 2.8 AIS supposed to be superior to the earlier lens?

You are correct (at least you agree with Ken Rockwell, whose judgment is suspect here

"1981-present: Nikon replaced this excellent original 28mm f/2.8 with the spectacularAI-s version with 8 elements in 8 groups. The current AI-s lens also adds the Close Range Correction (CRC) system."

It might be better at different focus distances. But the kit focuses close and is good enough.

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

the tree branches above the blue house, right side, are just as soft and hammered looking as the tree branches on the far left side... i'm not really seeing any decentering yet.

shooting it at f2.8 not an aperture that you want to use for landscapes like this, because of field curvature of the lens... that f2.8 shot would probably look significantly worse on my a7r

lock that lens down on a tripod and shoot it all apertures, it should look better at f8 and even f10.

-- hide signature --

dan

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to osv, 4 months ago

osv wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

the tree branches above the blue house, right side, are just as soft and hammered looking as the tree branches on the far left side... i'm not really seeing any decentering yet.

shooting it at f2.8 not an aperture that you want to use for landscapes like this, because of field curvature of the lens... that f2.8 shot would probably look significantly worse on my a7r

lock that lens down on a tripod and shoot it all apertures, it should look better at f8 and even f10.

-- hide signature --

dan

Dan, you're probably right. But I'm trying to nail down a travel kit, and each lens in it has to have a "reason." I explored the 28mm as a "closeup lens" - but it lost to the kit.

And so, as of now, for my May trip to Northern Israel, up as far as the Syrian and Lebanese borders, is

• The A7, 4 extra batteries, 10 Class 10 SD cards, a mix of 8 and 16GB
  • The kit lens is a walk-around.
  • The 35mm f1.4 Summilux is my general shooting lens. Love it. Stopped down to f2-2w through f5.6-8, it is my go-to lens. It is like a second pair of eyes
  • The 17mm Tokina f3.5 AT-X Pro is the landscape and cathedral interior lens. My waist-shooting market lens. Hoping someday to replace it with the 16-35mm FE when it comes out
  • The 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit is the low light longer lens. Tiny and light
  • The 55-210mm Sony and the 16mm+UWA plus NEX-6 is my A7 backup system - plus a long lens I can use if I really need long. 16mm on the NEX-6 goes where no other camera can go.
  • Series VII polarizing filter for the Leica lenses, 55mm CP for the kit lens, 77mm CP filter for the Tokina; lens shades for all lenses
  • Nikon lens brush, small Giotto blower in my jacket pocket

Then - not carried but in a separate small case in the car trunk/boot:

• 50mm f2 Summicron - I wish it was a more favored focal length. I need to shoot it more often. It is the very best lens I own or ever owned. I just don't use it enough.
  • 24mm f2 Canon FDn. If I find I am going to a really dark place and want an extra interiors lens beyond the 17mm, this will be the lens
  • 135mm f3.5 Canon screw-mount rangefinder lens. Very sharp, very small, but heavy
  • The 16-50PZ for the NEX-6, in case the A7 dies
  • Some small flash unit and the wireless trigger set I just bought, plus 8 AA cells and 4 AAA trigger batteries
  • Two battery charges (in case one dies)
  • 10 extra SD cards
  • A table-top tripod that also can function as a chest pod
Ynos
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

I think it was PCMag who tested 28-70 kit lens and it was surprisingly sharp. Almost as sharp as FE35 and FE55 primes! And I would say that those primes are very very sharp. So IMHO kit lens is very good. It is much better than APS-C kit zooms. I'm not sure if that is due to capable and forgiving FF sensor of A7 or due to 28-70 itself, but whatever people say, I think 28-70 has no problem in terms of sharpness whatsoever.

Tim Devine
Like?

I've heard that registration distance issues impact lenses with floating elements more than those without.  I have no idea whether the 28mm has floating elements, and whether the other lenses don't.  Also the wide angle lenses can be more affected than normal or telephoto.

In terms of the 28mm shot.  It looks like a good portion of the foreground is in focus, is that lens known for having field curvature?  Next time you have a chance, focus on the corners....see if they ever get sharper more than what you see while focusing on the central subject.

I was surprised how sharp the Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 was....but I was shooting stopped down, not wide open.  Even at 28mm, wide open is going to have a narrowing of DoF.  IF there is field curvature, that would aggravate things.

The Tokina shot looks pretty good for that aperture.  But it's stopped down (from the f/2.8 lens) and it's much wider...so it's going to have more DoF.  (Although it's not focused at infinity...so theoretically the closer you focus the more DoF is compressed.)

But it could always come down to that maybe you never looked at the the photos shot with these lenses with a loupe.  It's so amazingly easy to look at photos at 100%....back in the days of film, unless you enlarged them dramatically or you looked at them through a high power loupe, you may really have never noticed the performance.

-Tim

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Do you see anything?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Ynos, 4 months ago

Ynos wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

I think it was PCMag who tested 28-70 kit lens and it was surprisingly sharp. Almost as sharp as FE35 and FE55 primes! And I would say that those primes are very very sharp. So IMHO kit lens is very good. It is much better than APS-C kit zooms. I'm not sure if that is due to capable and forgiving FF sensor of A7 or due to 28-70 itself, but whatever people say, I think 28-70 has no problem in terms of sharpness whatsoever.

I think you're right. I think the challenge of making a variable-aperture zoom is easier than making a constant-aperture one like the 28-70, or the 16-50, or the 55-210.

The late David Brenner had a great joke - "Did you ever notice when you lose something, and search for it, you ALWAYS find it in 'the last place I thought to look for it'? OF COURSE YOU FIND IT THERE - WHO WOULD KEEP SEARCHING IF YOU FOUND WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR?"

I'll tell you who - people who have found a sharp lens and keep looking for a sharper one!

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 4 months ago

Tim:

I just flipped through your website images. You are a wonderful photographer.

I think you're right about old lenses from the film era - I would rack the enlarger up, focus on the grain in the middle of the frame, set the timer and aperture, and hit the foot switch. The image was greatly enlarged, but negative - and once in the Dektol, we just wanted it to come up in about 60-90 seconds, to get full tone.

Who looked in the corners? 

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Dan, you're probably right. But I'm trying to nail down a travel kit, and each lens in it has to have a "reason." I explored the 28mm as a "closeup lens" - but it lost to the kit.

And so, as of now, for my May trip to Northern Israel, up as far as the Syrian and Lebanese borders, is

wow! nice travel kit!! you got it covered, looking forward to seeing some travel pics.

stay safe over there.

-- hide signature --

dan

Tim Devine
Like?

Thank you Mel for the compliments.  I enjoyed your shots of Portland Head Light, I've never been up there in the winter.

I know I have to remind myself to make sure I look at the whole, and not just the parts.  Back with film, I did obsess with sharpness...but now it's so easy to see any imperfections with a shot.

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim:

I just flipped through your website images. You are a wonderful photographer.

I think you're right about old lenses from the film era - I would rack the enlarger up, focus on the grain in the middle of the frame, set the timer and aperture, and hit the foot switch. The image was greatly enlarged, but negative - and once in the Dektol, we just wanted it to come up in about 60-90 seconds, to get full tone.

Who looked in the corners?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads