What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
vjk2
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?
9 months ago

Just wondering if someone could clear it up for me.

Kit lens at widest is 18mm and f3.5, not too far from 14mm and f2.8, plus has autofocus and can accept filters.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,561
Like?
Re: What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?
In reply to vjk2, 9 months ago

vjk2 wrote:

Kit lens at widest is 18mm and f3.5, not too far from 14mm and f2.8, plus has autofocus and can accept filters.

Field of view at the wide end is more dramatic than at the long end. The difference in the diagonal FOV of the 14mm to the 18mm is a little more than 14°, 77.4° vs 91.7°. For example if you have a subject distance of 10 feet, you will get 17 feet, 1.7 inches of horizontal scene with the 14mm. At 18mm you would only have 13 feet, 4 inches of the horizontal scene. Real world example; the average car is 16 feet, 4 inches, so at ten feet you would be able to get the whole car into the shot, and then some, with the 14mm, whereas with the 18mm, you probably would only be getting the car from the doors to the trunk in the shot.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,156Gear list
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

Cough sputter?    14mm on APS/C is in the UWA range and equiv to 21mm in 135 format.  18mm in APS/C is barely in the WA range and 27mm in 135 format.  The Rokinon is f/2.8 (and sharp as a tack already at that point) whereas the kit is f/3.5 and IQ might improve with stopping the lens down somewhat.  btw, I'll post some comparisons when I get a chance and I'm convinced folks will agree the prime will knock the shots "out of the park".  Oops I can't compare since I don't have my "kit lens" any more.

There is one big down side to the Rokinon and that is when trying to use a CPL.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 9 months ago

I generally agree with the replies above. Optically, the Pentax kit is quite good, but it really improves once you get to about 21 or 24mm, and stopped down to around f/5.6. This distances a quality 14mm like the Samyang/Rokinon even further from the kit. Not that we are anticipating full frame digital for Pentax anytime soon, but the 14mm lens does cover it, so it can be shot on a film camera if one is so inclined.

I wonder why Samyang decided to release a 16mm lens for APSc. That differential from kit (or some very nice zooms that start at 16mm or 17mm) is more open to question.

As for the CPL issue, it is a concern, but not a huge factor. As you get so wide in perspective, polarization tends become rather spotty with the varying angle light paths. This can be harder to correct than the options available in post to enhance a non-polarized image lacking saturation. Although a CPL is your only real solution for extreme reflections (such as water surfaces).

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,959
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

In the wide end 4mm is a big difference... sure the difference between 50 and 54mm isn't much but between 14 and 18mm its almost a different world (well maybe a bit of an exaggeration)...

Anyhow, the 14 is much sharper and 2/3rds of a stop faster, when its that wide AF is rarely necessary. Yes its larger, yes it can't easily take filters... However its the best 14mm lens on the market. BTW I don't own one.

One final note, it covers FF.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

JNR wrote:

I generally agree with the replies above. Optically, the Pentax kit is quite good, but it really improves once you get to about 21 or 24mm, and stopped down to around f/5.6. This distances a quality 14mm like the Samyang/Rokinon even further from the kit. Not that we are anticipating full frame digital for Pentax anytime soon, but the 14mm lens does cover it, so it can be shot on a film camera if one is so inclined.

I wonder why Samyang decided to release a 16mm lens for APSc. That differential from kit (or some very nice zooms that start at 16mm or 17mm) is more open to question.

The 16mm is an F2.0 lens a whole stop and more faster than any zoom that covers 16mm or close... excluding the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

As for the CPL issue, it is a concern, but not a huge factor. As you get so wide in perspective, polarization tends become rather spotty with the varying angle light paths. This can be harder to correct than the options available in post to enhance a non-polarized image lacking saturation. Although a CPL is your only real solution for extreme reflections (such as water surfaces).

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

JNR
JNR
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 9 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

The 16mm is an F2.0 lens a whole stop and more faster than any zoom that covers 16mm or close... excluding the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

No doubt about it, MM - the 16mm is unique, and will be especially attractive for shooters in the other mounts that don't have decent quality around the 24mm FF field of view. Pentax has the 15mm - which is a fine, but not fast, lens for the money. On the other hand, regarding the f/2, how much speed do you need in an UWA given the low light capabilities of current sensors?

And, as long as Samyang had decided that the company was going to offer a 10mm lens - it just seems to me that should have been more of a priority than getting the 16mm out first.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

JNR wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

No doubt about it, MM - the 16mm is unique, and will be especially attractive for shooters in the other mounts that don't have decent quality around the 24mm FF field of view. Pentax has the 15mm - which is a fine, but not fast, lens for the money. On the other hand, regarding the f/2, how much speed do you need in an UWA given the low light capabilities of current sensors?

Personally i want to play with a 14mm F1.4 on FF really i see a use for it, for very wide field shallow DOF type photography

And, as long as Samyang had decided that the company was going to offer a 10mm lens - it just seems to me that should have been more of a priority than getting the 16mm out first.

Wasn't the 10mm cancelled?

Also Keep in mind their next step is to offer AF

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Russell Evans
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

Personally i want to play with a 14mm F1.4 on FF really i see a use for it, for very wide field shallow DOF type photography

If you buy a Sony Nex-3n for $299 and then buy a $120 focal reducer to use with the Samyang 14mm f2.8, that would net you a 10mm f2 in APS-C, FOV and DOF, terms, I think.

Thank you
Russell

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 9 months ago

Russell Evans wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

If you buy a Sony Nex-3n for $299 and then buy a $120 focal reducer to use with the Samyang 14mm f2.8, that would net you a 10mm f2 in APS-C, FOV and DOF, terms, I think.

Thank you
Russell

Or just use the 14mm F2.8 on a FF camera for the exact same effect.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Russell Evans
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Or just use the 14mm F2.8 on a FF camera for the exact same effect.

Wake me when Pentax has a digital one of those, please.

Thank you
Russell

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, 9 months ago

Good analogies Russell.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
JNR
JNR
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

Wasn't the 10mm cancelled?

JNR wrote:

Pretty sure the 10mm is on the way - very soon. In the UK, they are taking pre-orders for delivery starting by the end of this month - including for Pentax (Sigma, are you taking any notice of the footsteps inching closer?).

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads