EM-1 fault with AF points

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
EM-1 fault with AF points
6 months ago

I've had my EM-1 for just under four months and most of the time have found it faultless. Sometimes, though, my shots seem strangely out of focus, but as I am very much a beginner to this, I have assumed I've done something wrong. However, this morning I decided to do a rigorous test to see what's going on, and have discovered that there is a whole row of focus points that completely fail to focus. I changed lenses and did the test again and have confirmed that it is definitely the EM-1 and it is definitely the whole row. Here's an example to prove what I'm talking about. Both pics are cropped to the focus point which was on the same point with every shot. I'm pretty sure that everything about the set up was the same apart from the focus point. It wasn't just these two shots. It was every photo along the same horizontal line of af points that did the same as the second shot. A tripod was used with all of them.

My question is - has this happened to anyone else? And what did you do? At four months, I can't help thinking this is very new and I would really like to have the camera replaced rather than a repair, but I suspect that won't happen.

My other question is - I am right, aren't I? Everything else is equal in these shots, and this has to be a fault with the camera, doesn't it? Thanks for looking.

Liz

dingenus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701
Like?
Re: EM-1 fault with AF points
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 6 months ago

Where was the focus point? Have you done it on a tripot. This shots are not exactly the same.
Be sure the point is on the text at the same place.

If you have different points on exactly the same place at the text and one row is faulty make a letter end send it with the original photo's on cd to Olympus with the camera. They will repair it or send you a new one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wilkes888
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
EU SALE OF GOODS: Applicable for 2 years

NewGirlLiz wrote:

At four months, I can't help thinking this is very new and I would really like to have the camera replaced rather than a repair, but I suspect that won't happen.

Ask you in the EU? Assuming you bought the camera from an EU supplier you have the right to a refund or replacement within 2 years. Since it's within 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that you have done something to cause the fault (from 6 months onwards the onus is on you to prove that the goods are faulty)

"A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period." - EU Directive 1999/44/EC

Source: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html#ixzz2wOnlQFLX

There are multiple sources on line for this... I have used it but only once on a faulty Nike+ Fuelband which stopped working after 13 months which was returned to a Nike store and replaced.

NOTE: I can't figure out which country you're in from your profile... apologies if you're non-EU

-- hide signature --

Wilkes
London based Food & Drink-o-phile - Living every day as if it's his last…
(Currently focusing on new restaurants, bars and the streetfood scene)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ww: http://wilkes888.wordpress.com
Twitter: @wilkes888
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instagram: http://instagram.com/wilkes888
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/wilkes888/food/
Foursquare Lists: https://foursquare.com/wilkes888/lists/created

wilkes888's gear list:wilkes888's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +5 more
NewGirlLiz
Like?
In reply to dingenus, 6 months ago

Hi. As I said in my post, the focus point is in exactly the same place (which is the writing) and yes they were both taken on a tripod. I will contact the shop! Thanks

Liz

lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

David Kieltyka reports the same thing here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53303221

-- hide signature --
 lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: EU SALE OF GOODS: Applicable for 2 years
In reply to wilkes888, 6 months ago

Thanks for this. Very useful. I knew that there was a two year warranty period, but I didn't realise that this entitled me to a full refund/exchange. I thought it only entitled me to a repair. I'll contact the shop and quote this article! Many thanks

Liz

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,425Gear list
Like?

Sorry to hear that Liz.  Kind of a downer.  Hope you get it straightened out soon.

Andrew

DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Great sleuthing

Sorry to hear about your problem. Bummer.

Your report is very good but it would be better if you mentioned which row it is. We have one report of the second row from the bottom not focusing properly. It would be nice to know if this the same row as you're having a problem with. Not critical but it would be most interesting.

As for repair or replace, that might depend on what the issue is. It may be a software rather than a hardware problem, in which case you wouldn't want either.

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Re: Great sleuthing
In reply to DonSC, 6 months ago

Don - it is also the second row from the bottom!

The weird thing is that I've taken some more shots with the EM1 and a different lens and it doesn't seem to be as pronounced, and I've taken some shots with the 12-40 on a different body and there doesn't seem to be an issue. I've no idea how or if this could be possible, but somehow, it only seems to be the EM1 + 12-40 combo that produces this - or at least as badly as this. Bear in mind the photos I showed were huge crops from the originals - so it's not quite as bad as it looks. Still not good though!

Liz

lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Great sleuthing

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Don - it is also the second row from the bottom!

The weird thing is that I've taken some more shots with the EM1 and a different lens and it doesn't seem to be as pronounced, and I've taken some shots with the 12-40 on a different body and there doesn't seem to be an issue. I've no idea how or if this could be possible, but somehow, it only seems to be the EM1 + 12-40 combo that produces this - or at least as badly as this. Bear in mind the photos I showed were huge crops from the originals - so it's not quite as bad as it looks. Still not good though!

Liz

If it's only happening with the 12-40 then I wonder if there is any connection to the issue discussed here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3616822

-- hide signature --
 lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,104Gear list
Like?
Interesting

I shot a soccer awards night last week. Players stood with their trophies in front of a club background — and my E-M1 and 12-40 performed almost flawlessly, in fairly dim light. My main light source was a radio-slaved FL-50R in an umbrella… but focus had to be attained before that.

Face detect was likely a real help. In know my former E-5 and 14-54 MkI would have been sucking a  lung to deal with PDAF in those conditions. (FD only available on the E-5's clunky Live view.)

Half-press AF was used, as per my normal practice. All focus points activated.

A few times, I caught the camera not attaining focus, so I backed off and re-pressed the shutter. There were two shots that I didn't catch till post processing. Thankfully, I also got some keepers of the same pose.

Both of the bad shots were totally OOF, like a scene through frosted glass. There was nothing in the shot that could be seen as the unintended focus point. The only choices for the camera were: people... or the background, which was less than a step behind them. It couldn't be motion blur, either, as the main light source was flash and the shots were well-exposed.

I meant to keep copies of them for later study… but I see now that I've cleaned my card off and I chucked the other copies in the editing process. I'll be keeping my eye on this, though...

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?

Is the firmware up to date?

Regards,
Guido

NewGirlLiz
Like?
Thank you Guido!
In reply to guido1953, 6 months ago

You're a star. I have now updated the firmware from 1:0 to 1:1 and the AF problem has been completely resolved! Amazing! Thank you so much!

Best wishes

Liz

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,315Gear list
Like?
Firmware updates sometimes come with undocumented fixes.

A firmware update comes with documented fixes, but sometimes also undocumented ones because the manufacturer does not openly want to admit there was a fault. (I do believe the 2.0 firmware update to the E-M5 makes a difference in shutter shock issues yet there is no mention of anything in the update relating to shutter shock because obviously Olympus does not want to admit there is a shutter shock issue in the first place.)

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,845
Like?
Re: Firmware updates sometimes come with undocumented fixes.
In reply to Paul De Bra, 6 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

A firmware update comes with documented fixes, but sometimes also undocumented ones because the manufacturer does not openly want to admit there was a fault. (I do believe the 2.0 firmware update to the E-M5 makes a difference in shutter shock issues yet there is no mention of anything in the update relating to shutter shock because obviously Olympus does not want to admit there is a shutter shock issue in the first place.)

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Ahh, that could be why I didn't find anything wonky with my test this evening.

I wonder if it was a silly bug, like the E-M1 reading the a different part of the sensor, than the lines with the phase sensors on it. One single line strikes me as that sort of bug.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads